My first Mod - Did I do it right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KEB64

Jun 25, 2011
USA
Okay, so you know the old saying..."a little bit of knowledge..."

Anyhow, I went down to the Shack and bought myself a 4AA battery holder with leads. I pulled the adapter end out of an old kr808 battery and soldered the red lead to the center hole and the black lead to the outer rim. I installed regular AA batteries in and didn't get a good vape. I then checked the soldering and installed 4AA rechargeable batteries. Vapes good now. Is there any harm in using these types of batteries? I really just wanted to test and see what a 4-5 volt was like. It seems more potent to me.

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
This is probably the least skill-set mod build I've seen posted. You didn't even use a momentary/pushbutton? If my assumption is correct, you used the SPST switch that the box comes with, pre-installed? Whatever the case, if it works and the batteries don't blow up in your face, you have a dangerous, functional mod.

KEB64

Jun 25, 2011
USA
This is probably the least skill-set mod build I've seen posted. You didn't even use a momentary/pushbutton? If my assumption is correct, you used the SPST switch that the box comes with, pre-installed? Whatever the case, if it works and the batteries don't blow up in your face, you have a dangerous, functional mod.

LOL. Yep. I should take a pic. I basically have two leads about 4 inches running from the box to the addy. Is there a danger in the batteries blowing up in my face? I'm serious here. If I like this I'll make it more permanent and house the leads, mount the adapter etc. Is it okay to use these types of batteries; the regular AA and the rechargeables?

KEB64

Jun 25, 2011
USA
Here she is...
SU1HLTIwMTExMDIwLTAwMzk5LmpwZw.jpg

SU1HLTIwMTExMDIwLTAwNDAwLmpwZw.jpg

addisdaddy07

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Savannah Ga
It gets the job done... that is what makes a mod, most of the modders on here probably got started in a similar way, I know I did, except I had a dremmel and everything was in the box. The alkalines are actually safer than the li-ion batteries that most of us use, and they have the advantage of being cheap and readily available!!! Mostly, we use the li-ion batteries because of the form factor, more power in a smaller space. there are many modders on here that use these on a daily basis! Next time, try the aaa though, MUCH smaller box, but you sacrifice longevity. Here's a good link--->http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/105465-now-puck-cheap-parts-easy.html that will get you a little more in the know on these types of mods!!!

KEB64

Jun 25, 2011
USA
Nothing dangerous about using 4 rechargeable Nimh cells.
The PUCK uses those, look it up. So it works.
Most folks mount the atty to the box :)

but I'm sure you will get around to that.

That's a fine start.
Thank you. That's info I can use! The box is just big enough to hold the batteries, so I can't mount the atty in this one.

It gets the job done... that is what makes a mod, most of the modders on here probably got started in a similar way, I know I did, except I had a dremmel and everything was in the box. The alkalines are actually safer than the li-ion batteries that most of us use, and they have the advantage of being cheap and readily available!!! Mostly, we use the li-ion batteries because of the form factor, more power in a smaller space. there are many modders on here that use these on a daily basis! Next time, try the aaa though, MUCH smaller box, but you sacrifice longevity. Here's a good link--->http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/105465-now-puck-cheap-parts-easy.html that will get you a little more in the know on these types of mods!!!

Thanks for the encouragement! Thanks for the link too. I'll check it out. Vape on!

KEB64

Jun 25, 2011
USA
So I'm liking the whole higher voltage experience so far.

I soldered the positive lead inside the battery adapter post hole (it's from an auto battery). I'm guessing manual (closed adapters) are the ones to use. Comments?

I just ordered a 510 adapter (closed). I prefer 510 LR attys at the moment so I'll make that swap when it gets here. Since my main attys are LR I'm thinking of taking out two of the AA batteries and using an empty lane to mount the atty. That would be @2.4 volts going into 1.5 Ohm attys. Thoughts?

KEB64

Jun 25, 2011
USA
SU1HLTIwMTExMDIxLTAwNDA1LmpwZw.jpg

We have Epoxy!
SU1HLTIwMTExMDIxLTAwNDA0LmpwZw.jpg

Not too straight, but it's holding fast!
SU1HLTIwMTExMDIxLTAwNDA5LmpwZw.jpg

This is the general way to hold it. Left hand. I actually don't mind the built-in manual switch - (for now). My thumb is right by the switch in case you don't see it.

SU1HLTIwMTExMDIxLTAwNDA3LmpwZw.jpg

The business end of an 808.

3 would work, marginally. 2 would be a good way to discharge batteries. But that's about all

Okay, cool. Would the 4 batteries work okay with the Low Resistance attys or would I blow out the atomizer?

Find a small plastic tube large enough to place the connector into it. Then epoxy the tube to the box where the wires come out.
I'd use an epoxy that bonds to plastic and the can be sanded and painted, JB Weld comes to mind.
Sand, paint to desired color, and bam your done.

Just my :2c:

I was thinking a strap, screwed to the case. I like your tube idea! I have some tubing... I really like the performance of this thing. It's also real nice to recharge in 15 min.

KEB64

Jun 25, 2011
USA
I should probably enter this into a thread entitled "Ugliest Low-Fi Mod ever. LOL. Hey, it's a start! I now have something to vape all my old 808 cartos that have juice stuck in them from my low performing stock battery. I'm reclaiming them until the 510 atty connector comes in. Then I'll make something nice and clean, improving on this project. Thanks for all the encouragement and comments so far. Much appreciated!

Edit: Plus, the old saying comes to mind..."Necessity is the mother of invention". When your dirt poor ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread