Not open for further replies.

navyblew

Dec 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hey all,

First mod here.

3.7 900mah 14500 Ultrafire Battery from madvapes
Aluminum Casing from local electrical store
Standard 510 Atomizer from ZigCigs (9 months old and still working)
Metal Drip Tip from Liberty-Flights

Over the weekend I had a black atomizer and a black drip tip, which looked oddly like an antenna, so my friends dubbed it "The Detonator"

Works great! Now my 510s don't impress me anymore.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_20101101_204004.jpg
    IMG_20101101_204004.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_20101101_204013.jpg
    IMG_20101101_204013.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 131

navyblew

Dec 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm liking it....gotta unscrew the back for battery access?

Unfortunately yes... and I only have one battery.

There's no lights, no indicators at all, just a battery, some wire and solder, a ton of hot glue to keep everything rock solid, and a 510 connector.

It's extremely bare bones, but at least I don't have to worry about dropping it. :p

Next mod will be much more methodically planned out... this was just an experiment.

navyblew

Dec 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Dropping is what I worry about most and I'm a boxmod fanatic. To me they are the best mods on the planet. I'll be watching for updates on the detonator.

I'm fairly sure I could throw this thing down a flight of stairs without damage... I might break off the atomizer, but that'd be about the worst of it.

I don't know that I'll do much else with this one... but the next one will be similar, but far better engineered. I'll actually take pictures of the inside next time.

Thanks to everyone who has ever posted their mods... believe me, I looked through just about every one of them, inspiring!

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
No, Search the forum.
Robert that makes mods called the Detonator.
But, guess he doesn't "own" the name.

Just saying

I've got a couple of those aluminum boxes, just haven't done anything with them yet.
They seem "just the right size".
Got mine from MPJA.com. They have assorted stuff.
How about a few vent holes in the "bottom".
To keep it sort of rain proof you could use a little silicone caulk to fill the vent holes.
The caulk wouldn't hold any pressure to speak of, if you only put enough to seal the hole.

Or maybe a circle of small holes covered by a foil sticker (like a smiley).

Hey have fun and be safe.

Rocky

Last edited:

navyblew

Dec 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Cool, sorry, and note the edit I made while you were doing that :)

Have you thought about using a 18500? i think it would fit.

"The Mod Previously Known as The Detonator" sounds cool :)

Nice, I'll keep those suggestions in mind when I make the next one.

Sadly, an 18500 would not fit. There's a bit of hot glue in the top surrounding the atomizer and switch assembly. The 14500 barely fits in there with the end connectors and wire. It actually has to sit in there a bit sideways. The box is probably smaller than you'd think. 3.5"x1.25"x1.25" or so. Without the atomizer, I can pretty much hide the entire thing if you were only looking at the back of my hand.

navyblew

Dec 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Next time you open it up, post pics of the inside.
I was planning to put an 18650 in mine and I think I have the same box you have.

18500 and a half decent switch ought to fit.
It has more room than a flashlight mod.
Really consider venting though.

You're right, there is enough room in these cases for that battery, I just didn't plan ahead. I filled my case nearly half full with glue. Looks like the same case as yours though for sure.

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
Yup, plenty room for an 18500 protected cell. The 18550 is the same length as the 14500, just diametrically challenged (fatter).

That's an 18650 in the photo, 18500 is shorter.
Better glue would allow more space. And now that it's open go ahead and vent the bottom, hehe.

Don't want then to delete your thread.

Last edited:

navyblew

Dec 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Yup, plenty room for an 18500 protected cell. The 18550 is the same length as the 14500, just diametrically challenged (fatter).

That's an 18650 in the photo, 18500 is shorter.
Better glue would allow more space. And now that it's open go ahead and vent the bottom, hehe.

Don't want then to delete your thread.

Aye Aye Capt'n.

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
With that amount of hot glue I bet you could drop it down the stairs, it's like a block in there. Even if the bond breaks down there are 4 screw posts on one axis and the atty connector on the other, and I would think the block of glue is going to take a awhile to melt away. Are the edges fairly rounded? If 'detonator' is out, how bout 'cellphone jammer'? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread