My First Mod: The Provari Mini (A Picture Review)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSenator

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2012
Houston, Texas
I have learned so much on ECF in my short time here already. In the midst of my journey I decided it was time for me to dive into the world of MODs. While researching, I noticed a few things. One, that the only mod that had 100 rave reviews for every 1 negative one was the Provari. Second, everyone is so excited to get their Provari, they don't take the time to show and evaluate right out of the box. This is what I would like to do for semi-noobs like myself, that have never seen a Provari in person, and want an unbiased review. This is also my first mod so my expectations are much different as I won't be AMAZED at how much better the quality is over a clone or cheap knockoff MOD.

Let's begin.

When you open the box, it has the typical noodle type foam and I had two separate items. There is nothing special about the packing, and even a note inside about saving paper by having online instructions makes you think they are at least trying to be Green; I can get on board with that. One package contained my batteries, and the other was the mini itself with attached extension cap. I took all the batteries out and placed 2 on my charger that I had purchased earlier.

IMG_20120921_171202_zpsafe98c60.jpg

Next, I decided to take out the extension cap. You can immediately tell the quality material as you touch the cerakote coating and looking closely you can also see that the cap is already coated with a dab of anti-seize on the thread. I was surprised at this small detail, and boosted my initial confidence.

IMG_20120921_171613_zps3a2fbe22.jpg

Next, I took out the Provari itself. The first thing I noticed immediately was the weight. Not that it was heavy, but it had mass to it and felt very very sturdy. I unscrewed the cap and decided to look inside. Here I found a nuance that kind of got to me, but nothing I couldn't clean up. The picture doesn't show all of it. I found a bit of oxidation on the threads which I attribute to machining. When forking out $200+, I would have expected them to clean it up before it shipped though...However, this was my only real complaint.

IMG_20120921_171925_zps55921e68.jpg

The bottom cap did have a few marks on it, but I'm sure they keep these in a bin, and it was probably inspected on a table before shipping, so no real harm done.

IMG_20120921_172110_zpsee9533b1.jpg

One thing that irked me was that are all kinds of pictures comparing the Provaris to other MODs, but never of household items. I had never seen/held a Provari in real life, so I was always trying to get a grasp of the size of these. I hope this next pic helps out another semi-noob like myself:

IMG_20120921_172448_zps782211ea.jpg

IMG_20120921_174007_zps76475b21.jpg

IMG_20120921_172522_zpsac0ad62f.jpg

The overall build quality is very nice. Everything is flush and clean, and the exterior finish was immaculate. The LED has a glass screen on the outside, but is actually pretty recessed within the unit. The display of my blue LED is crisp and beautiful though.
The button is quiet, but is very sturdy I must say and has some click to it without being loud. Mine doesn't wobble any more than any other button on an electronic device I've encountered. I also like that the same color LED shines through the button when activated as well.

IMG_20120921_172701_zpse34b2abd.jpg

IMG_20120921_173617_zpsd6c27a6c.jpg

With a top notch MOD I wanted to see what it would do right of the box, so I inserted a battery, adjusted the voltage to 5.0 and tossed on a tank of Boba's Bounty. It fired right up and good lawd was there some vape....yes, even out of a Vivi Nova. Blew my Twists away from the very first vape. The fit of the Nova on the Provari itself is very good. Can't wait to see what a quality machined tank/atty will look like!

IMG_20120921_172906_zpsde29f794.jpg

FINAL DECISION:
I decided to purchase the Provari Mini, because I wanted something that was great quality and would be reliable for a LONG time.
Longevity will remain a question, but I'm assured by my one year warranty. Besides a fluke of a little oxidation that was taken right off, this Provari met all my expectations. Not owning a cheap MOD before, I wasn't AMAZED.....but I was definitely IMPRESSED with the craftsmanship in such small form as well.

I still plan to venture out and try other mods, but I do feel like I have a MOD that is in it for the long haul, and if another MOD is disappointing, I won't worry because I have a Provari that's ready to rock at any point. Is it worth the price? I'm going to have to base that on function and longevity of the electronics and the finish. I will say that it is everything Provape claims it is. Are some of the members here Fanboys? Sure, but I'm going to find out why now whether I like it or not. I can say that I am very very very happy with purchase so far, and feel it is worth the price as of now.

I hope someone gets some good info or at least a closer look at the Provari Mini from this, and I want to thank ECF and it's members for opening my eyes to vaping as a better alternative than smoking analogs.

Have a great Weekend!
-Bill
"The Senator"

My Newest member of the Fam:

IMG_20120921_175048_zps6a973711.jpg

TheSenator

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2012
Houston, Texas
Congrats man, they are a nice mod, that's for sure. What is that on yours? An Empire drip shield?
Thanks WNC, You and a few other guys passed on some pearls of wisdom before I made my purchase.

Yessir, that is the EmpireMods Limited Edition 901 7 Cut with their Pinstripe Drip Tip!

TheSenator

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2012
Houston, Texas
Congrats! Glad you are happy with your PV, or APV.

It is not a mod though, a mod is a modified device. This device was designed to be used as sold. So, it is a personal vaporizer, or advanced personal vaporizer.
2. Designed with standardized units or dimensions, as for easy assembly and repair or flexible arrangement and use
It is an APV, but it is also a modular device. A Mod. I can change the setup and use different voltage settings.

I guess our defintions differ. If you would like to discuss further, please PM me instead of any other means.

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
2. Designed with standardized units or dimensions, as for easy assembly and repair or flexible arrangement and use
It is an APV, but it is also a modular device. A Mod. I can change the setup and use different voltage settings.

I guess our defintions differ. If you would like to discuss further, please PM me instead of any other means.

My eGo Twist is now a mod because I can add a vivi and it is VV. :facepalm:

TheSenator

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2012
Houston, Texas
Really dig the ProVari Mini...thanks for posting this review! Currently own the standard version 2 with extension for 18650s, but I bet a single 18350 would have a pretty good run times using high-res atties. Awesome little APV.:2cool:

Ive been using different style atomizers and my first 18350 last all evening and morning so far. Ill be able to really gauge after today.
Now I kind of want a V2 standard for around the house on weekends or long trips :laugh:

dBm0

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Georgia
If you like your Mini, you'll love the standard with extension for all the same reasons. I love mine, also got it in satin black. Looks mean as all get-out doesn't it?...LOL. It's is my main all-day workhorse. The 18650 batteries last an entire 6ml tank…and that is with a SmokTech low-ohm dual-coil thank pulling well over 2.5 amps at the wattage I like it at. Call me paranoid…LOL, but it’s the only APV I trust to run that tank setup on.

Grats on your new ProVari and happy vaping!

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
Ive been using different style atomizers and my first 18350 last all evening and morning so far. Ill be able to really gauge after today.
Now I kind of want a V2 standard for around the house on weekends or long trips :laugh:
The V2 with the extension is wonderful, heck its great without the extension. I would love to get a mini to use as a to go unit, for now I still use my Twists.

Looks like we both want what the other has. ProVari's, once you have one, you want another one.

Scott_Simpson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
Really appreciated the shot comparing the mod (what else are you going to call it that's short, sweet, and rolls trippingly off the tongue? PV? Sounds like the Great Gildersleeve's pharmacist. A special hand for all those old enough to know what that refers to ... :laugh:) with everyday objects. That's a great idea, and I wish more reviewers would adopt it ... very nice setup, BTW!

Scott_Simpson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
Scott, Im glad you enjoyed the pictures. Hopefully this thread aids in someone making their decision on a Provari.

LOL ... you're a day late and a dollar short, Senator! Last night, after ascertaining that I had NOT won the Provari in their latest contest, I went on Provape's web site and bought one. Mine's a standard with the 18650 extension tube, but your pictures of the mini are pretty sweet ... who knows, maybe in a couple of months weeks days hours ... well, sometime soon I may have to get one of those Minis, too ... :laugh:

TheSenator

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2012
Houston, Texas
LOL ... you're a day late and a dollar short, Senator! Last night, after ascertaining that I had NOT won the Provari in their latest contest, I went on Provape's web site and bought one. Mine's a standard with the 18650 extension tube, but your pictures of the mini are pretty sweet ... who knows, maybe in a couple of months weeks days hours ... well, sometime soon I may have to get one of those Minis, too ... :laugh:

:laugh: I made an account transfer into my vape savings account when I did not win, but now I cant dcide if a standard v2 is in my future or a z atty pro!
Maybe Ill have to update this thread with different tanks, drip setups, and RBAs. :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread