My First Mod...

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodstock69

Jan 6, 2016
Hello to all of you.
Wish you a nice and healthy new year...

I'm a vaper about 4 years... Started with eGo-W.
Now it's time for me to go for a mod.
So, after my research, I ended up, expecting the following stuff:

- Vamo V7 (40W)
- OBS Crius rta (V3)
- Youde Kanthal A1 Wire 28ga 0.32mm
- Youde Kanthal A1 Wire 26ga 0.4mm
- High Drain KeepPower 3200mAh 18650 3.7V Flat Top IMR Lithium Battery (Max. Pulse: 20 Amp, Max Constant: 10 Amp)

What is your suggestions about my first build?
1. Which of two wires do you suggest?
2. What diameter to have the thread?
3. What must be the resistance (Ohm)? Vamo V7 makes a relative measurement...
4. How many Watts can I play with this set on Vamo V7 40W? (min.-max.)

I just want a little help for the beggining please...
Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

Larry J

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2014
Amarillo, Texas
You need to go to Steam Engine | free vaping calculators and play around with the numbers to help you decide what build to do. Steam Engine is what most builders use to determine what diameter the coil should be, what gauge wire to use, how many wraps are needed, etc. to achieve a target resistance for their coil(s).

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
It's become VERY hard for us to help new vapers like you, because... W/ the introduction of the new ultra-high-wattage devices, and with the introduction of ultra-low/sub-ohm replaceable-coil-tanks... We don't know WHAT the new vaper actually has, and we NEVER get the FULL picture, in their 1st post...

For instance, I can recommend a build + wattage for you, based solely on the mod and the atomizer/tank that you've got, but what MG nicotine do you have at the moment? If I recommend a low-ohm coil at 12w, you are going to want to use a different-MG nicotine level juice than some1 sub-ohming @ higher wattages. If I were to recommend that you do a higher resistance build, but crank up your wattage, you'd still want a higher MG nicotine than most sub-ohmers are using today. If I told you to build a middle-of-the-road coil at 1 to 1.5 ohms, and I told you to keep your wattage low, at 7 to 12 watts, well then, you may want a higher MG nicotine.... Like what we USED to use (12-18mg)

But if you want to blow clouds, nd I recommend low ohm + middle to high wattage, you're gonna NEED (LOW) 6mg-9mg e-liquid, or around there, and you'd need 12-18mg nicotine if you were using a lower wattage.... !!!

I like 2 strt out by asking, 1st of all, do you KNOW your OHM'S LAW? Your wattage calculation?? Do you KNOW how to vape with a sub-ohm coil w/ medium wattage? do you KNOW how to vape w/a sub-ohm coil with HIGH wattage? I assume you are used-to the vape u got from ur EGO batts... which means u prob have high MG nicotine on-hand, right? so, I could suggest low-ohm or high wattage all i want, but it's gonna blow ur face off...

This is why I've almost given-up helping new vapers, new to mods, because our scene has changed, and now everyone is grabbing HIGH wattage capable devices, thinking they'll be enjoying their 18mg juice at high wattage, blowing HUGE clouds, by the time they get it all set up... NO! that 18mg juice will KICK UR BUM!! lol.

So the ONLY advice I have for you, is to learn your OHM's LAW, learn how to calculate a good wattage, and remember that if u are using a high wattage or a subohm coil on a mechanical mod, u NEED lower mg nic!!! But i cannot help you until you help YOURSELF, by learning ohms law & wattage law... U simply cannot ask us how to vape, because these days, regular set-ups AND sub-ohm set-ups are avail. to anyone... & idk what juice you have, IDK what you LIKE out of your vape, IDK if you like Mouth to Lung or Direct2Lung, IDK if you enjoy COOL vapor or HOT/WARM vapor.... SO idk. LEARN your Ohm's law & Wattage Law.

Last edited:

Ahoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Philly
Exactly what plumes said. Back in the day it used to be incredibly simple for us to recommend products almost in a chronological order from beginner vaper to the (advanced) vaper status. But now there are so many products and every company is pushing sub-ohm that we could be here for hours telling you everything you need to know. There are a ton of incredible websites linked with ECF and a ton of very informed people that have knowledge on everything you need to know about X or Y that a few hours of reading the forums will set you straight.

Before anything. If you are getting into rebuilding...

please read your ohms law, please read safety on batteries, please understand venting and what to do in the event of a battery malfunction. Please PLEASE don't look over this. That's how people get hurt and that's how vapers get a bad rep.

I am in no way trying to talk down to you as if you don't already know this but I feel every new member thread should cover this in some way or another. I'll leave the APV/RBA or RTA recommendations to somebody else.

Reactions: woodstock69

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Hello to all of you.
Wish you a nice and healthy new year...

I'm a vaper about 4 years... Started with eGo-W.
Now it's time for me to go for a Mod.
So, after my research, I ended up, expecting the following stuff:

- Vamo V7 (40W)
- OBS Crius RTA (V3)
- Youde Kanthal A1 Wire 28ga 0.32mm
- Youde Kanthal A1 Wire 26ga 0.4mm
- High Drain KeepPower 3200mAh 18650 3.7V Flat Top IMR Lithium Battery (Max. Pulse: 20 Amp, Max Constant: 10 Amp)

What is your suggestions about my first build?
1. Which of two wires do you suggest?
2. What diameter to have the thread?
3. What must be the resistance (Ohm)? Vamo V7 makes a relative measurement...
4. How many Watts can I play with this set on Vamo V7 40W? (min.-max.)

I just want a little help for the beggining please...
Thanks for your time.
I recommend the eVic VTC MINI
And 26 gauge wire.

woodstock69

Jan 6, 2016
A big thak to all of you guys. You are awesome...

Plumes.91, thanks for your time for the large and useful comment.
I understund the concerns of the old vapers (in Mod stuff).
As I said in my first post, all I want now is a compass. A good start.
I didn't know that nicotine plays such a big role in the final result!
I would have said from the beginning...

By the way. I'm not interesting for Nicotine notably.
To be more specific, this is my favorite e-liquid of the market, (until now).
E-LIQUID 20ml RY 2 LOW (6mg)
But almost from the beginning, I make my own (simple) liquids.
Buying VG & PG from a pharmacy and adding few drops of aroma...
And in my own fluids, I don't put nicotine at all...!!!
I'm more interesting for the cloud, but not for extreme things.
I hope I helped more now for any other suggestions...

Two_Bears, I know and I like your propose, but I wanted something more economical, for now. And don't forget, I don't even have Vamo in my hands currently! It's on the way from China...
Also I'll have in mind for the future, (this or something like this)

Ahoy, I'm with you about safety. This is the most important thing, for us and those around us...

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
A big thak to all of you guys. You are awesome...

Plumes.91, thanks for your time for the large and useful comment.
I understund the concerns of the old vapers (in Mod stuff).
As I said in my first post, all I want now is a compass. A good start.
I didn't know that nicotine plays such a big role in the final result!
I would have said from the beginning...

By the way. I'm not interesting for Nicotine notably.
To be more specific, this is my favorite e-liquid of the market, (until now).
E-LIQUID 20ml RY 2 LOW (6mg)
But almost from the beginning, I make my own (simple) liquids.
Buying VG & PG from a pharmacy and adding few drops of aroma...
And in my own fluids, I don't put nicotine at all...!!!
I'm more interesting for the cloud, but not for extreme things.
I hope I helped more now for any other suggestions...

Two_Bears, I know and I like your propose, but I wanted something more economical, for now. And don't forget, I don't even have Vamo in my hands currently! It's on the way from China...
Also I'll have in mind for the future, (this or something like this)

Ahoy, I'm with you about safety. This is the most important thing, for us and those around us...

Are there cheaper items? Yes.

I like mods with external batteries for multiple reasons.

1. Carry a spare 18650. When the battery drains change out the battery and keep on vaping.

2. If a battery dies toss it and put in another.

A cheater mod with internal battery. When the battery dies so is your mod

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Hi @woodstock69
A few pointers for using a/your regulated mod.

Low resistance coils are not not necessary. In fact higher resistance coils are usually better, having potentially bigger surface area and drawing less amperage from your battery.

You need to be aware of the amp limits of your battery, and plan your usage accordingly. The important factor to remember is that as the voltage decreases on your battery, the amperage usage increases. An 18650 fully charged is 4.2 volts, this should be recharged when it falls to no lower than 3.2 volts.

Using your equipment as an example fitted with a 0.9 ohm coil:

@20 watts
Battery charge ~ 4.2volts - Amp draw ~ 5.3amps
Battery charge ~ 3.2volts - Amp draw ~ 6.9amps
6.9 amps is within the limits of your battery, with a small safety margin.

@35 watts
Battery charge ~ 4.2volts - Amp draw ~ 9.2amps
Battery charge ~ 3.2volts - Amp draw ~ 12.1amps
12 amps is exceeding the limits of your battery. This will damage it, and is potentially dangerous.

If a battery is sufficiently abused it can vent gases and electrolytes, this reaction can be violent. If this reaction is contained, boom. Being knowledgeable about the battery and the equipment you are using is vital, luckily you are in the right place to arm yourself with this information. If in doubt, just ask first. I highly recommend you invest in some good quality high amp limit batteries, they are not expensive.

LG HG4 - 20 amp CDR (continuous discharge rate)
Samsung 25R - 20 amp CDR
Sony VTC4 - 30 amp CDR
all around 5-8 bucks

We have two resident battery experts with blogs providing all you need to know. Read up and you will be safer and wiser to boot.
Baditude
Mooch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread