My first RDA... Need tips and help

Status
Not open for further replies.

vansslipon

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2009
Tallinn, Estonia
So I just ordered my first rda from china, probably some clone... No idea. But look alike Nimbus. I know clones are bad etc. but thats my first one so i dont mind learning on it.
Planing to use a cotton as a wick. But I have no idea about coils... I know nothing about it and looking for some tips. What to use and what not to, how many wraps, micro coils, omhs etc.? Simply everything will be helpful. Im also doing some researches on my on but you guys can help me with some links.
I have plenty of time to learn before I'll get my hands on it ( if I'll ever get it as I live in a small country and usually mails getting lost :D)

Jazzi Mike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2013
Michigan
Well most micro coils are wrapped on something like a drill bit that is around 1/16 inch. I know us Americans are backwards and that is around 1.5-1.6mm. With a micro coil, all of the wraps need to be touching.

When wrapping regular coils, I tend to freehand them around silica. What kind of Kanthal/NiChrome have you ordered? The amount of resistance of your coils will depend on the length of your resistance wire.

You will need something to check your resistance before you fire your RDA.

MoDmAnDaN

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Spanaway, Wa.
This is a great place to learn micro coils and cotton. You'll hear this a million times and it's VERY true...always check your coils with a ohm meter or multimeter before putting them on your mod. experiment with different wire sizes. I use 28 and 30 gauge wire for 90% of my builds. I get my supplies from E-bay for wire and organic cotton balls from Walgreens for wicking.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/389074-micro-coil-rba-your-reo.html

Last edited:

papabogart

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2013
Satis, Faction
As far as the number of wraps for desired ohms. experience will be your best guide. I would strongly suggest you use an accurate meter unit to test your coils before use especially if you are putting them on a mechanical mod that doesn't have some protection system (like a kick).

For your first build, You can come very close in estimating the ohms by using one of the charts on the internet that will state the resistance of an "x" guage wire per inch or cm. Then calculate the length of wire used in the coil you are building (each wrap will be D*3.14) Then test it with a meter.
Be safe and Good luck.

MoDmAnDaN

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Spanaway, Wa.
It's hard to beat 10 wraps of 28g kanthal on a 1/16th or equivalent drill bit. Roughly 1.2ish ohms. Sterile or boiled organic cotton wick.

Ditto, one thing you need to be aware of with micro coils, they are very efficient and ramp up nicotine delivery. If you're not used to it, it can give you headaches and make ya woozy. If that happens, lower the nic content in your juices. I used to vape 18mg,but with micros, went down to 12.

Sent from my Note II using Tapatalk.

rawr

ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
So I just ordered my first RDA from china, probably some clone... No idea. But look alike Nimbus. I know clones are bad etc. but thats my first one so i dont mind learning on it.

Now you are screwed. Joking ;)

What if the clone doesnt work as it should? And you did countless coils and didnt get the wanted vapor and taste? I know i am little exaggerating but..

You should totaly get the real thing, cause it is REBUILDABLE :) Real cobra, maybe rsst or wait for the aga-t3. This are low price range rba`s.

Get some 29/30 awg kanthal 20m , 500 micron stainless steel mesh at least 1x 4A size and you will also need ohm meter (some mods can measure ohms , like svd,vamo,mvp...) for checking the resistance of the coil. Oxidizing is crucial!!!!!!!!!!!!

rawr

ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
Ordered NiChrome 33g and 35g I guess (0.18and 0.15mm). Well I have a device to check ohms... Old one with a "sticks" pos/neg ones. How do i know how much wrapping around the drill bit should I do? And what ohms to avoid? Like too weak to heat eliquid and too strong to overheat it?

No good...

I started rebuilding 2 months ago with #400 ss mesh and 32 awg (0.2mm) kanthal a1 wire and i found out that 32awg is too thin for rbas. I only use it for kanger evod/protank coils with 2mm silica. I make the coil on a 1.6mm thick steel rod.

Then i ordered 29 awg and 30 awg ( 0.28mm and 0.25mm ) and #500 ss mesh and that combo works really good with rsst and cobra. :)

Ohms can be from 0.5 to 3 and more. Most vapers do 1 ohm to 1.5 ohm coils for rba/rta/rda. On protank/clearomizer i like around 2.1 ohm

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'll agree with the other's comments. Knowlege and experience and will be the keys to your success. The more coils you make, the better you will become making them and the better your results will be. This is a learned skill. You may need to make several coils before you have a build that you like.

Research. Research. Research. Learn how to use the Ohm's Law Calculator. Learn how to use a multimeter to measure your coils, this is critical. Use only a high quality high drain battery (IMR or hybrid chemistry). Don't attempt sub-ohm coils until you are extremely comfortable with normal coils and are sure that your battery can power them safely.

Ohm's Law Calculator

Mechanical Mod Proper Usage Guide

Information Resources for Your First RBA

Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected?

Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries

Jazzi Mike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2013
Michigan
No good...

I started rebuilding 2 months ago with #400 ss mesh and 32 awg (0.2mm) kanthal a1 wire and i found out that 32awg is too thin for rbas. I only use it for kanger evod/protank coils with 2mm silica. I make the coil on a 1.6mm thick steel rod.

Then i ordered 29 awg and 30 awg ( 0.28mm and 0.25mm ) and #500 ss mesh and that combo works really good with rsst and cobra. :)

Ohms can be from 0.5 to 3 and more. Most vapers do 1 ohm to 1.5 ohm coils for rba/rta/rda. On protank/clearomizer i like around 2.1 ohm

Too thin for what? I use 32 all the time. If the OP is using a regulated mod, the gauges he ordered won't be a problem. Did you read the actual post? He is awaiting a rebuildable dripper and is planning on using cotton for wicks.

The OP is fine with what he ordered. He can experiment and find out for himself if he wants thicker wire or thinner wire.

rawr

ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
coil (1).jpg coil (2).jpg

About 1.6 ohm with 29?awg or 30 :D

vansslipon

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2009
Tallinn, Estonia
Well this getting very interesting! Woah guys Thanks this will get me busy reading! Sorry cant reply much at the moment, being busy working. But I'll definitely look on everything.
Well I spent some time at my morning breakfast today watching how PBusardo were doing he's first micro coil )))
Keep it coming! I dont mind to get some of an info about RBA as its gonna be next on a list RSST from smoketech got my attention, tho it have a ...plastic tank?

cromagnon

Dec 6, 2010
Florida
I can't speak first hand on RDAs/RBAs as I have yet to own one and the ones I purchased have yet to arrive (one should be here by next Wed, the other two are on a slow boat from China...)

The advice you have received so far is spot on especially from Baditude.

I already have the electrical background from years of building guitar stomp boxes and guitar electronics so, I am fairly well versed in ohms law and I can't emphasize hard enough that you the need to understand the stress that a given load will bear on your device before wrapping wire and winging it. Bookmark the link to the Ohm's law calculator or use the (better) one in in the eJuice Me Up Calculator program which is great for getting started in DIY eJuice as well.

Personally I use an old paper Ohm's law slide rule that I have had since I first got into electronics as a hobby which is a lot more convenient than running to the computer every time I turn around - but it seems like they don't make them any more...

What nobody has addressed sufficiently (IMO) is your question of how many wraps to use. Most people will say that you just get a "feel" for it with experience; wrap a little, test, wrap/unwrap, test... I am sorry, but I am not built that way. I want to have a ball park figure to start with - and here's how to do it.

This is an example using a 5/64 drill bit:

5/64 = 5 divided by 64 = 0.078125 decimal

This is the diameter of the drill bit but, we want the circumference...

d x pi = c:

0.078125 x 3.14 = 0.2453125

1/4 inch = .25" and we are very close to that. So... 4 wraps is roughly 1 inch.

Now refer to this chart:

Resistance in Ohms/inch for the Resistance Wires

5/64" = 1.984375mm

Which means a 2mm wick will slide inside the coil comfy but not too tight.

Can you see why a lot of people use a 5/64 drill bit for a micro coil jig?

So what if you want a 3mm wick? It seems to me you would have to increase the coil size so as not to choke the wick. No?

vansslipon

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2009
Tallinn, Estonia
Which means a 2mm wick will slide inside the coil comfy but not too tight.

Can you see why a lot of people use a 5/64 drill bit for a micro coil jig?

So what if you want a 3mm wick? It seems to me you would have to increase the coil size so as not to choke the wick. No?
Currently I've plans to use 100% cotton balls as a wick and as some "clouds" underneath to hold some eliquid. Not sure yet will try. No dry burns tho with cotton but I can live with that)) I guess I will have problems finding silica wick here. Everything else bit hard to understand for me... But i will teach altho its hard to :D need to find a local teacher here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread