my first vv, love it! but wondering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
In many cases, higher resistance cartos simply have more wraps in the coil.
That means more surface area, so even at similar
total wattage', it's a different experience from an LR atty.

The nice thing about HR gear on VV devices is that you have a bigger curve of adjustment and it's actually possible to take advantage of a wider range of coil temperatures. A LR single coil atty is more like a very short spike...you can get it as hot as it will go really quickly, but there's just not much resolution in there to make a 'detectable' difference between the lowest voltage your PV will do, and the highest amperage/voltage the PV will allow. Unless you're dealing with some pretty nice custom spec atties, LR just has a shorter coil with fewer wraps in it.

Dual coils are more about surface area. They spread the wattage over more wire. Think of it like running two 40 watt bulbs side by side (less intense heat over a lots of surface) instead of a single 80 watt bulb (more intense heat in a smaller area).

In so far as using higher resistance stuff to get 'better battery life', that totally depends on the battery and how voltage is regulated. Is it bucked or boosted? Is it a high drain battery, or not? So mileage will vary on this indeed.

If you have a bucking VV design, chances are you have batteries that are rated for much higher voltages and amperages, and you're actually choking it all down quite a bit for vaping purposes. If it's boosted, you might be doing right the opposite (pulsing, maxing the current, or over-working a very different battery chemistry that's built more for speed and less for mah). Again it depends on the type/quality of the battery, and the boosting technology that is used.

Some batteries even have memory in their chemistries....and over time they'll curve out to last as long as possible with your most commonly used setup.

For the most part....with VV, screw it on, tweak it out, and enjoy :) The best part of VV, is you can screw pretty much anything you want on it and get working well.

I don't know why...but for me, dual coils do drain batteries faster, even when the theory behind it doesn't make sense. Then again, I tend to run dualies wide open....just because I can :) 12.75 watts on a dualie is quite pleasant. 12.75 watts on a single coil atty is harsh to me (if it doesn't outright blow out on me after spitting a tongue scalding volcano of half-liquid vape at me).

Last edited:

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
Yikes, I got my threads crossed.

For mini batteries, avoid anything under 2 Ohms and over 3 Ohms.

Yes, you could safely put something like a 2.5 Ohm dual coil on one, BUT, you wouldn't get much vape from it.

The reason for avoiding LR and multiple coil stuff on these is mainly because they have a mofset switch in them that acts kind of like a fuse. It will blow if the 'current' gets too high. That's because they don't want to risk a battery venting that close to someone's face, and really small batteries can do that if the 'current/amps' get to high.

Last edited:

rem700

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2011
Mn
Not to put words in Mikes mouth, but I'm pretty sure he was saying lower resistance in general tends to go through battery charge faster than higher resistance at the same performance level. i.e. if you took 2 vv mods, put a 1.5Ω carto on one, and a 3Ω carto on the other, adjusted the voltage so the vape was exactly the same from either, the charge on the 3Ω would last longer than the charge on the 1.5Ω. Not sure why exactly, but there ya go.

:D

Maximillian the Moderately Mischievious

Trying to learn, If this is the case then what is the advantage to LR?

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
Trying to learn, If this is the case then what is the advantage to LR?

That all depends.

If you have a VV mod, the only advantage is if you happen to have an overall atty design and performance that you're into. You just flat out like the way it vapes. It's usually far more to it than just the resistance.

For fixed voltage PVs, LR allows one to achieve higher coil temperatures at lower voltages. They do tend to heat up and cool off quickly, which is sometimes favorable to some people for various reasons.

Frick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2011
Ohio
I don't know why...but for me, dual coils do drain batteries faster, even when the theory behind it doesn't make sense. Then again, I tend to run dualies wide open....just because I can :) 12.75 watts on a dualie is quite pleasant. 12.75 watts on a single coil atty is harsh to me (if it doesn't outright blow out on me after spitting a tongue scalding volcano of half-liquid vape at me).

The theory does make sense if you consider the amp draw.

A 1.5 ohm carto at 3.7V = 9.13 watts, at 2.46 amps current draw (the actual amperage drawn from the battery is different, depending on device design).

A 3 ohm carto at 5.2V = 9.01 watts, at 1.73 amps (again, this isn't the draw at the battery, depending on design).

The numbers aren't "actual battery draw", but the comparison is valid -- you need to draw more amperage from the 'system' (battery + circuit) at low resistances than you do at higher.

You're simply drawing less amperage from the battery, regardless of design.

LR attys were originally designed to simulate higher-voltage vaping on low-voltage (3.2-3.7V) devices like the original eGo. There's not much need to use such low resistances on VV designs, unless battery life is of no concern, because you can achieve the same wattage with less amperage draw.

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
The theory does make sense if you consider the amp draw.

A 1.5 ohm carto at 3.7V = 9.13 watts, at 2.46 amps current draw (the actual amperage drawn from the battery is different, depending on device design).

A 3 ohm carto at 5.2V = 9.01 watts, at 1.73 amps (again, this isn't the draw at the battery, depending on design).

The numbers aren't "actual battery draw", but the comparison is valid -- you need to draw more amperage from the 'system' (battery + circuit) at low resistances than you do at higher.

You're simply drawing less amperage from the battery, regardless of design.

LR attys were originally designed to simulate higher-voltage vaping on low-voltage (3.2-3.7V) devices like the original eGo. There's not much need to use such low resistances on VV designs, unless battery life is of no concern, because you can achieve the same wattage with less amperage draw.

I think I was unclear.
A 2 Ohm dual coil at 4.5v drains my battery faster than a single coil 2 Ohm atty at 4.5v.
Why? The total resistance is the same.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Now that I've got my first vv, I now can fully enjoy my new DCT's. But when it's down for recharge, I must use my 3.7 mod or some older (but still good) XL 380Mah batts. What I'm wondering, is what carts would you all recommend for the best full flavor and biggest vapor, at 3.7?

What I've found with the small bats (300mah or smaller) is that they simply can't produce the amps necessary to drive LR cartos.The result is that, even fresh of the charger, they will only produce around 3.0-3.2v under a 2ohm load. This means that a 2.5ohm carto will actually produce a better vape without putting as much stress on the battery, because the bat can produce the amps necessary to drive it.
    So while I would enjoy that 1.7ohm carto on a larger 3.7v mod ... not so much on those 380mah bats.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread