My friends need help deciding on flavors/ nic strengths...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcdrgnfly

ECF Veteran
Ok, so I'm in the process of converting 4 friends to V4L (they all smoke analogs currently). I need help in advising them which flavors/strengths to order.

Friend #1: Currently smokes full-flavor Winstons: 1 pack per day.

Friend #2: Currently smokes Kool (green pack): 1 pack per day. I plan on suggesting V4L's Cool Menthol, but I would like to know how it compares.

Friend #3: Currently smokes Wildhorse full-flavor: 1-1/2 packs per day. I used to bum these from her when I smoked analogs, and they are VERY strong. I need to find her a strong tobacco flavor with very little sweetness in order to satisfy her taste buds. She buys Wildhorse because they are the cheapest ones she can find if that is any indication (she will likely be my toughest convert).

Friend #4: Currently smokes Camel Lights, but is NOT a heavy smoker. He is more of a closet/stress smoker. I've heard the V4L Kamel flavor is not like analog Camels, but he may like it. Just trying to give him a few options.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated :)

vape on! :vapor:

Kimmy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
Honestly, a lot us when we started all thought we wanted tobacco flavors. When we were smokers, we all had our magical brand, but with vaping, you can enjoy tasty flavors! My advice is to go with something other than tobacco. I've tried several tobacco flavors and I thought they all either tasted like throw up or an unlit cigarette, except wowboy is rather tasty. My advice is to have them try the tobacco sampler, and a unique flavor. Most likely they will end up liking the nontobacco flavors :) Just my 2 cents though:)

bornagainst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
Toronto, Canada
www.villagermt.com
For flavor, ALWAYS try the tobacco/menthol samplers. You just can't totally recreate an analog, so try those first. If you are obsessed with recreating an analog, you'll be let down. There's no real tobacco in the tobacco flavorings.

As for strength, theres a V4L blog entry for new users in mind in regards to strength.

Have a gander:

Choosing Your Nicotine Strength Vapin' Valerie

Hope that helps.

Ryan

Chelseafn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2010
Michigan
For the first 3 I would recommend 24mg. The 4th one I would say 18mg. I smoked Marlboro Ultra Lights. 18 was the sweet spot for me. took me about a week to get used to the ecig but now its all good. Sat will be 2 weeks analog free! Yeah baby!!! I havent went that long without a cig since I started about 36 years ago!!!

Blake

jcdrgnfly

ECF Veteran
Honestly, a lot us when we started all thought we wanted tobacco flavors. When we were smokers, we all had our magical brand, but with vaping, you can enjoy tasty flavors! My advice is to go with something other than tobacco. I've tried several tobacco flavors and I thought they all either tasted like throw up or an unlit cigarette, except wowboy is rather tasty. My advice is to have them try the tobacco sampler, and a unique flavor. Most likely they will end up liking the nontobacco flavors Just my 2 cents though

I completely agree. I used to smoke menthol, and now I really don't care for the flavor. Cinnamon on the other hand is awesome :thumbs:

For flavor, ALWAYS try the tobacco/menthol samplers. You just can't totally recreate an analog, so try those first. If you are obsessed with recreating an analog, you'll be let down. There's no real tobacco in the tobacco flavorings.

As for strength, theres a V4L blog entry for new users in mind in regards to strength.

Have a gander:

Choosing Your Nicotine Strength Vapin' Valerie

Hope that helps.

Ryan

I think I'm most concerned with Friend #3 - she really wants to give up analogs, but is convinced that unless she has a strong tobacco flavor, she just won't be able to do it. The crapola analogs she gets were far too strong for me, and I haven't smoked a regular tobacco flavor since high school, so I have nothing to compare to.

I will certainly suggest the sampler, but if she does find a flavor out of the 5, I will then have to wait for another order to arrive to get her more. I'm hoping to get maybe 2 flavors that have potential and taking it from there.

Oh, for her I'm fronting the first cartos as she will never get around to ordering on her own. She is my best friend and neighbor, and after listening to her hacking and coughing for the past year, I'm willing to do anything to help her get off the analogs. Now that she's seen my success, she's actually willing to try e-cigs. In the beginning, the closer I can get her to an analog, the better. Once her taste buds come back to life, I'm sure she'll go for other flavors, but I have plenty of those for her to try ;)

I agree with using samplers to start, and I've found that 18mg is a good mid-level starting point for many pack-a-day smokers.

Thanks jeffree :) I think that will be a good starting level from what Val's blog says (and Thank You Val!!!) I had cut back my smoking so much before starting to vape, and was smoking Camel Crush which were pretty low nic, so it was easier for me to give up the nicotine. I can only tolerate low or no nic juice now, so I was at a loss as to what to recommend for a heavy smoker :facepalm:

I think I am mostly looking to see what others liked for a straight tobacco flavor when they first started vaping -especially if they were Winston or Wildhorse smokers :)

mmcall12

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2010
Indiana
For the first 3 I would recommend 24mg. The 4th one I would say 18mg. I smoked Marlboro Ultra Lights. 18 was the sweet spot for me. took me about a week to get used to the ecig but now its all good. Sat will be 2 weeks analog free! Yeah baby!!! I havent went that long without a cig since I started about 36 years ago!!!

Blake

Congrats ,,,,wtg,,,,, keep up the good work;)

jcdrgnfly

ECF Veteran

Blake

Thanks Blake :) I might start them with lower mgs. (especially #4, although knowing him, he might like the light-headedness ;)) I started with 18 mgs and found it was too strong for me :unsure:

Congrats on the 2 weeks!! :thumbs::banana:

Tomorrow will be Day 30 for both me and my guy. Neither of us have had an analog since the day we received our first kits :D I never thought I'd be able to go without an analog as well, so I know what you mean :D Thanks V4L!! :toast:

jeffree

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2010
california
You're very welcome, Jcdrgnfly. Let me join those who suggest that the tobacs are hard to recommend since nothing (from anywhere) seems to match a true tobac flav. I've sampled 50+ flavs, usually in blind tests, and would never have been able to tell you which tobac flav I was tasting. I just found some that I liked and didn't worry about the names. Thus, the tips for sampler packs.

BTW, you might try a menthol sampler, too, since many of us have grown fond of V4L's menths even if we hated them while smoking cigs. Good luck.

jcdrgnfly

ECF Veteran
You're very welcome, Jcdrgnfly. Let me join those who suggest that the tobacs are hard to recommend since nothing (from anywhere) seems to match a true tobac flav. I've sampled 50+ flavs, usually in blind tests, and would never have been able to tell you which tobac flav I was tasting. I just found some that I liked and didn't worry about the names. Thus, the tips for sampler packs.

BTW, you might try a menthol sampler, too, since many of us have grown fond of V4L's menths even if we hated them while smoking cigs. Good luck.

I'll probably grab a sampler pack, but with several friends to divide the cartos between, it would be more cost effective for me to just buy a few of the most promising flavors in the bunch rather than 2-3 samplers. They'll have to do experimenting on their own once they decide if they want to continue. I need to support my own flavor indecisiveness, and that is costly enough :facepalm:

I actually did like menthol when I first quit analogs, but now I don't care for them anymore :?:

I may try menthol again in the future, but I'm enjoying my Cinnamon Roll and Apple Cinnamon Cranberry too much right now ;)

Not to mention there are about 50 other flavors I want to try :vapor:

Thanks for the help! :toast:

krazie_Kid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2010
Long Island
www.vapor4life.com

Blake

Blake 24 is way too high for 1 pack a day smokers. 18 for the pack a day and maybe 11 for the last one. 24 is for a two back a day smoker.

VapingRulz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Florida
Blake 24 is way too high for 1 pack a day smokers. 18 for the pack a day and maybe 11 for the last one. 24 is for a two back a day smoker.

I disagree. I needed 36mg for months to stay off the smokes and even now I'm vaping primarily 24mg with some 18mg. The 18mg may not be enough to get his friends off cigarettes, and 11mg may taste like air. In the end, they may become convinced that e-cigs don't work if the nic level is too low.

For the hard-core smoker (#3) I would not expect anything less than 24mg to do much to curb the nicotine urges.

Chelseafn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2010
Michigan
when I started vaping I went with 11. Everyones recommendation. To low. Also tried lower than that with 6 and 8. I was worried about nic od. Someimes I think 18 is to low. but I get over it just by hitting it a little more. I think it may come down to how long someone has smoked. Im pretty sure I have smoked more years than a lot of people on here are old. It really depends on the person. Trial and error for me. Now on to the OP. If they dont like the taste of the cartos tell them to stick it out. Their tatsebuds wont be right for awhile. I smoked when I first started vaping. Went from a pack one day down to a half the next then about 5 a day for about 3 more days. Then I finally quit buying them. It was hard and I still crave em. But I move on and think to myself. Dam its really been 2 weeks without an analog!!! Tell them good luck for me!

Blake

maxx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2010
PA, USA
www.omnimaxx.com
The only rule for converting smoke to vapor is.....there are no rules. There are entirely too many individual variables involved to be able to calculate a juice strength. New vapers simply have to accept that they may waste a little money on the wrong stuff until they land on the right stuff. Personally, I started very high with the idea I could always just not hit the thing if I started feeling bad. Easier to do that than struggle in the other direction hoping to kill ciggie cravings.

krazie_Kid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2010
Long Island
www.vapor4life.com
I disagree. I needed 36mg for months to stay off the smokes and even now I'm vaping primarily 24mg with some 18mg. The 18mg may not be enough to get his friends off cigarettes, and 11mg may taste like air. In the end, they may become convinced that e-cigs don't work if the nic level is too low.

For the hard-core smoker (#3) I would not expect anything less than 24mg to do much to curb the nicotine urges.

They can then higher their levels if it is too low. I am sure they can think of it that way. If they go way to high, it will give them a sore throat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread