Nicotine and circulatory disease

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiloWatts

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
West Philadelphia
Nicotine has been linked to circulatory disease, but it's damn near impossible to find studies that don't include cigarette smoke. If anyone knows of any NON-CIGARETTE-RELATED studies involving nicotine and heart disease, please post here.

As of now, here's the only article I can find.

I have had a strange feeling on the left side of my heart for the past couple months that's causing me concern. Sort of a flapping type feeling, almost like an arterial obstruction, like something's having trouble moving around. No pain.

Me: Been vaping heavily for 4 months, no analogs. Yes, history of heart disease in family. Have not had the weird heart feeling until a couple months after I started vaping. Blood pressure and pulse are fine (no murmurs, palpitations, or arrhythmias) No health insurance, but if it gets weird enough, I'll see a doctor and report results.

Not drawing connections to vaping, but definitely curious to find more studies of effects of nicotine (non-cigarette) on circulatory system.

Thanks!

YKruss

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
Springfield, VA
Kilowatts,

I posted the cardiovascular effect of just nicotine (without smoking) studies on another thread - http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...4-health-benefits-nicotine-3.html#post3671427
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is nicotine in combination with SMOKE (and especially the resulting carbon monoxide) that causes all the harm. Here are a few more resources on this topic, all of which I have cited to over and over again in the past couple of years on this forum.

From http://www.oasas.state.ny.us/admed/d...baccoMyths.pdf:

"MYTH 13: Wearing a patch will bring on cardiovascular (heart) disease?
TRUTH: NRT’s can be used safely by the majority of people with cardiovascular
disease, even with concomitant smoking. 1-3 A meta-analysis shows no difference
in the rate of acute heart attacks when a NRT patch is worn versus wearing a
placebo patch. 4 The benefits of NRT outweigh the risks, even in smokers with
cardiovascular disease.

1 Joseph AM, et al. N Engl J Med 1996; 335:1792–1798.
2 Tzivoni D, et al. Cardiovasc Drugs Ther 1998; 12:239–244.
3 Working Group for the Study of Transdermal Nicotine in Patients with Coronary Artery Disease.
Arch Intern Med 1994; 154:989–995.
4 Greenland S, et al. Drug Saf 1998; 18: 297–308"

Neal L. Benowitz, MD, from http://content.onlinejacc.org/cgi/re...791.pdf?ck=nck:

"Overall, the epidemiologic and experimental data suggest
that nicotine absorbed from smokeless tobacco, nicotine
gum or transdermal nicotine is not a significant risk factor
for accelerating coronary artery disease or causing acute
cardiovascular events."

And from Harm Reduction Journal - http://www.harmreductionjournal.com/content/3/1/37#IDAMYHG4

"Over the past 15 years, eight epidemiologic studies have examined the risk of cardiovascular diseases among ST users. Six of the studies found that ST users had no increased risk for heart attacks or strokes [47,90,97-100] . The other two reported modestly positive associations, with ST users having RRs of 1.2 and 1.4 [92,101] , which are lower than those of smokers. In 2003, Asplund completed a comprehensive review of the cardiovascular effects of ST use [102] . He concluded that, in distinct contrast to smokers, ST users do not exhibit any significant differences from nonusers of tobacco with regard to the following measures of cardiovascular health: heart rate, blood pressure, cardiac output and maximal working capacity, levels of hemoglobin and hematocrit, leukocytes, antioxidant vitamins, fibrinogen, components of the fibrinolytic system, C-reactive protein and thromboxane A2 production. In addition, ST users did not show important smoking-associated vascular changes, including increased thickness of blood vessels and atherosclerotic plaque development. In summary, most of the medical and epidemiologic evidence documents that ST users do not have elevated risks for cardiovascular diseases."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Tracy68

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2011
Australia
You might be experiencing PVC's or ectopic heartbeats or similar.
I am also experiencing the same, but did also when I was smoking from time to time so I don't think it's vaping that's causing it for me.
I think stress is one of the things that causes these.
I'm also having these fluttering things going on with my heart.
Be still my heart!
It's driving me insane.

I think it's always best to check with your doctor whenever your heart is doing something unusual but I have read that some people are more sensitive to feeling these slight abnormal heart flutters and odd beats than others and most of the time they are completely harmless.

KiloWatts

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
West Philadelphia
Folks, I'm gonna have to retract my initial excitement a bit. After reading the Discovery Health article "How Can Nicotine Be Good For Me?", and following it with the sourced Wired article, "Researchers Light Up For Nicotine, the Wonder Drug", I can't help but notice these studies are conducted from a spinoff of R.J. Reynolds. Upon looking at these two articles, which contain only promises and vague study results, it reads more like a pharmaceutical ad than anything else.

Are there any articles not written by tobacco companies?

YKruss

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
Springfield, VA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread