My iJoy Captain and burning cotton vape in SS316 TC Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoeKeto

Mar 27, 2018
I generally don't vape temp, but I tossed a NI200 build on an atty yesterday. Put it on 3 different mods and had to set different temps on all 3. The voopoo drag did ok with it, DNA250 was much better though.

Wow, that’s interesting and terrible at the same time. I kind of suspected that my mod was messing up because it’s a complex feature to accomplish, with lots of stress on the chipset. I will take recommendations for which mod specifically if you’d like to recommend one. Hopefully not to steep on the price, but, I desperately need that flavour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: stols001

Steve Parry

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Cookeville TN
I will take recommendations for which mod specifically if you’d like to recommend one.
I'm not the best person for that since I almost never use temp control. DNA powered mods tend to be more expensive, but I'm sure some of these vapers who use TC regularly can point you in the best direction.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Thank you so much! What tank would you recommend? I like the versatility of the SMOK but I will look for something else if you folks recommend it.

Smok tanks with their RBA heads are quite good. I use a Baby Beast with the RBA in temp control on one of my Pico 75's and it's great.

If you're into flavor as much as you think you are, and since you're already into rebuildables, you might as well dive in head first and get an RDA. Dripping is the ultimate flavor experience.

That of course leads to investigating the squonk route and did we say this vaping thing was a bit of a slippery slope? ;)

MoeKeto

Mar 27, 2018
Smok tanks with their RBA heads are quite good. I use a Baby Beast with the RBA in temp control on one of my Pico 75's and it's great.

If you're into flavor as much as you think you are, and since you're already into rebuildables, you might as well dive in head first and get an RDA. Dripping is the ultimate flavor experience.

That of course leads to investigating the squonk route and did we say this vaping thing was a bit of a slippery slope? ;)

Lol oh man, well I believe that I’m already slipping, I might as well do it right. I think the bad thing about this is that I actually like cooking and modifying which is why this DIY world is capturing my attention. So, lay it on me brother, let me know what to pick.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Lol oh man, well I believe that I’m already slipping, I might as well do it right. I think the bad thing about this is that I actually like cooking and modifying which is why this DIY world is capturing my attention. So, lay it on me brother, let me know what to pick.

I'm not as head-over-heals on squonking as my friend @Joru'us C'baoth is (watch out--the Dark Side is strong with his bunch). But I am big on dripping and I'm sold on the Pulse RDA. Either the 24 or the 22 is good. The 24 is both dual and single coil capable while the 22 is single only.

Drippers are great for starting out because they're much more forgiving of rookie mistakes. You have to work hard to make one leak. Not so with an RTA, where wicking becomes an art form.

MoeKeto

Mar 27, 2018
I'm not as head-over-heals on squonking as my friend @Joru'us C'baoth is (watch out--the Dark Side is strong with his bunch). But I am big on dripping and I'm sold on the Pulse RDA. Either the 24 or the 22 is good. The 24 is both dual and single coil capable while the 22 is single only.

Drippers are great for starting out because they're much more forgiving of rookie mistakes. You have to work hard to make one leak. Not so with an RTA, where wicking becomes an art form.

Oh man! I didn’t even know what a squonk mod was but just looked them up and the idea is genius! I think that’s my next purchase, some even have a DNA Chipset so I can even do the whole TC better than what I have now. In all honestly I tried the dripping and it’s not for me because I’m always on the go, and that’s why I fell in love with vaping in the first place as opposed to hookah. Luckily I could never get into cigarettes, the flavour was just terrible, cigars worked well with brandy and whiskey but then the health concerns kept on piling up.
My first purchase was a SMOK V8 in November after a friend used it in a hookah cafe, and I was amazed. I had tried the Starbuzz eHookah before and it really sucked, so I scrapped vaping back in 2014 or so when it came out, but the PEN 22 he was using produced amazing flavour, so I fell head over heels and couldn’t even walk near a hookah lounge again.

So sadly, I am heavy into the flavour and this is my new obsession like I had an obsession with cooking and almost went to school to study it. So I think I will get a dripper solely for my in home vaping and eLiquid tests for my own DIY stuff, but I’ll need the Squonk, seems like the best of both worlds!
So, my fellow vapers, point me in the right direction lol.

MoeKeto

Mar 27, 2018
How many watts do you generally vape at @MoeKeto ?

I tend to stay within the 70 range, but again, maybe the vapes I’ve had have been messed up. I bought a SMOK V8 Stick then got a G Priv from a friend which started me into the RBA world, then it took me close to a month to figure that out and has been a lot of trials and tribulations lol, then I bought a used iJoy Captain, at the same time my G PRIV clunked out totally. So believe it or not, I’m not that picky, I just want a cooler vape with tons of flavour, if that cannot be achieved then I’ll stick to flavour. So like I said again, school me all you want lol, but I’ve stayed between 50-70 and it has been a rewarding experience.

Steve Parry

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Cookeville TN
The thing with squonking is the bottle takes up space. So, if you want portability, single battery is the way to go. That limits you to the 75 watt range. In that case, the HCigar VT Inbox has a DNA75 chip and comes in under $100.

If you want more power and don't mind bigger mods, the Geek Vape Gbox is awesome... in power mode at least. I've never used it in temp control. But, it runs 2 batteries and goes up to 200 watts. Also under $100.

Reactions: Eskie

MoeKeto

Mar 27, 2018
The thing with squonking is the bottle takes up space. So, if you want portability, single battery is the way to go. That limits you to the 75 watt range. In that case, the HCigar VT Inbox has a DNA75 chip and comes in under $100.

If you want more power and don't mind bigger mods, the Geek Vape Gbox is awesome... in power mode at least. I've never used it in temp control. But, it runs 2 batteries and goes up to 200 watts. Also under $100.

Oh man thanks for the info!
I haven’t found the need to go that high in wattage since I’m not into cloud chasing. I actually have to stealth-vape a lot, as too much vapour can draw too much attention and I don’t like it lol. I can carry extra batteries in a safe case with me and use it when that battery runs out, so I guess squonking it is?

MoeKeto

Mar 27, 2018
Squonking is awesome. I'm a trucker, so it lets me use a dripper while driving.

That VT Inbox should suit you fine then.

I have to drive a lot for work, I manage a private transportation company and end up driving a limo sometimes to fill in. Having this device would change the game for me for sure. Now let’s see if I can find it here in Canada for a reasonable price.

I have to drive a lot for work, I manage a private transportation company and end up driving a limo sometimes to fill in. Having this device would change the game for me for sure. Now let’s see if I can find it here in Canada for a reasonable price.

Another to check out would be the Therion Bf, in either DNA 75 or DNA75c form, both are good, 75c is just the newer, colorized, slightly better chipset.
Not that there's anything wrong with the inbox, per se, I just like the bottle better on the Therion.
It's all a matter of personal taste though, but since this is the last generation of the Therion, you can most likely get one for cheap IF you can find it.

MoeKeto

Mar 27, 2018
Another to check out would be the Therion Bf, in either DNA 75 or DNA75c form, both are good, 75c is just the newer, colorized, slightly better chipset.
Not that there's anything wrong with the inbox, per se, I just like the bottle better on the Therion.
It's all a matter of personal taste though, but since this is the last generation of the Therion, you can most likely get one for cheap IF you can find it.

Thank you so much for this recommendation and I’ll look into both, hoping to find them locally as some shops are great in helping me with everything and I want to help them by buying from them before going online.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
As a temp control vaper looking for flavor and not really concerned with clouds, I can assure you all this advice is on target. I'm at a point where all I use are DNA based mods and have a consistently excellent experience. While it is more expensive, it also comes with better warranty policies from Evolv and are typically built to higher standards. I have Lost Vape mods that are going on almost two years and are still working well and looking like new.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5

Companies with mods that do Temperature Control reasonably well:
  • Anything with a DNA chipset
  • Anything with a YiHi chipset
  • Anything with a JoyeTech chipset
  • Smoant
  • Think Vape
  • Tesla
  • Vaporesso
  • Voopoo

The HM chip in my Hotcig/Rigmod RSQ's give a great TC SS vape.

edit to add:
Oh man! I didn’t even know what a squonk mod was but just looked them up and the idea is genius! I think that’s my next purchase,

The RSQ I mention above is a squonker and only costs around $60.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Couple things (and I don't squonk) I personally wasn't impressed with the pico's temp control either, although I don't need "TC much" as I am a total wattage weenie and rarely enter temp protect (on any of my mods including the DNA mods). I would note where you feel comfortable vaping in wattage mode, because your TC settings may wind up similar. For example if you've found a build you enjoy (at whatever wattage) sometimes the easiest way to "get" to TC is to replicate your build (I use SS wire for this purpose) using a similar wattage "ramp up" and then depending on how warm or cool you like a vape) that will help you determine your "highest desired" temp and the mod (or squonker) should throttle back when you hit it. So, as you are deciding on your next purchase, I'd recommend finding builds and wattages where you really enjoy the vape, as it should (in theory) help you get to a good set of "TC settings" and etc.

Good luck, many who start squonking don't turn back, which is one reason I don't squonk (although I do have other reasons).

There are non DNA boards that certain makers use (I'm thinking Teslacigs, for one) that do well in TC (well, pretty well and better than the Pico) but really at this point, DNA mods seem to be the way of the future.

Good luck deciding,

Anna

Reactions: Eskie

MoeKeto

Mar 27, 2018
Couple things (and I don't squonk) I personally wasn't impressed with the pico's temp control either, although I don't need "TC much" as I am a total wattage weenie and rarely enter temp protect (on any of my mods including the DNA mods). I would note where you feel comfortable vaping in wattage mode, because your TC settings may wind up similar. For example if you've found a build you enjoy (at whatever wattage) sometimes the easiest way to "get" to TC is to replicate your build (I use SS wire for this purpose) using a similar wattage "ramp up" and then depending on how warm or cool you like a vape) that will help you determine your "highest desired" temp and the mod (or squonker) should throttle back when you hit it. So, as you are deciding on your next purchase, I'd recommend finding builds and wattages where you really enjoy the vape, as it should (in theory) help you get to a good set of "TC settings" and etc.

Good luck, many who start squonking don't turn back, which is one reason I don't squonk (although I do have other reasons).

There are non DNA boards that certain makers use (I'm thinking Teslacigs, for one) that do well in TC (well, pretty well and better than the Pico) but really at this point, DNA mods seem to be the way of the future.

Good luck deciding,

Anna

Thanks so much Anna!
I’ve decided to just go and buy the Therion BF DNA75C, along with the Pulse 22 and just chase that flavour as hard as I can lol. I’m at the shop now having them teach me how to build Ti coils and should be on my way to flavour heaven!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread