My Menthol Recipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few folks seemed curious.

I use everclear grain alcohol and fresh menthol crystals ground into powder.

Start with 7.5 ml of grain. I add menthol crystal powder in 2 ml clumps at a time and stir it in until I can't smell the alcohol. After each 2 ml add, I'll nuke the mix for about 4-5 seconds. When the smell is what you like (really strong for me) add it to a 5.5 ml wilton glycerin to 1ml water ratio. I drip the menthol mixture in and stir it well. I'll drip the menthol until it's smell is to my liking. I really go by my nose, not milliliters of menthol.

Only problem is that it can crystalize (you can still nuke it to correct). I usually only make what I will vape in one day.
I'm using a cheap e-cig so I'm not sure what it will do to my eGo cartomiser when I finally get one.

Anyone who might know how to prevent the crystalization, please let me know.

Best regards,
Christopher

DonG

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2010
Jville, AL
Not sure but sounds like your menthol "flavor solution" is "oversaturated". That is you have more solids disolved than the amount of liquid can absorb. This will make it more prone to recrystalization especially at varrying temperatures. I would try using a little less menthol crystal in your flavor extract even if you have to add a little more volume to your juice to get the desired flavor.

Not sure but sounds like your menthol "flavor solution" is "oversaturated". That is you have more solids disolved than the amount of liquid can absorb. This will make it more prone to recrystalization especially at varrying temperatures. I would try using a little less menthol crystal in your flavor extract even if you have to add a little more volume to your juice to get the desired flavor.

It probably is a bit oversaturated. It does not crystalize in the grain, only in the VG. I wonder if PG would make a difference?

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
Menthol has a "maximum effect" point where adding more doesn't actually add more flavor, it just costs more money, not that it's all that much, but you're wasting menthol... cut back on it maybe 30-40% of what you're currently using, youll get the same menthol flavor but no recrystalization...

I Vape DIY menthol myself, and Learned that less is more.

Menthol has a "maximum effect" point where adding more doesn't actually add more flavor, it just costs more money, not that it's all that much, but you're wasting menthol... cut back on it maybe 30-40% of what you're currently using, youll get the same menthol flavor but no recrystalization...

I Vape DIY menthol myself, and Learned that less is more.

Thanks! I'll try cutting back. I have enough menthol crystal powder here to last me about 2 years. The crystals were about 6 dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread