My thoughts and issues with the DNA40

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL
The dna 40 datasheet says you can use other chargers, I can't see any problem using a 1 amp charger. If the charger was reasonable quality, I can't see any problem using it in pass-through mode either.

Passthru is a no go due to the current draw of the board. I know I can use a higher wattage charge controller, I'm just having a problem finding one that will fit where the Evolve board does. All the ones ive found get larger as the current handling goes up.

Looking for something new that I like. Watch this space for new wit, halfwit, nitwit...

DejayRezme

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 22, 2014
    Europe
    So there are no usb charging boards that can charge while you vape? I mean even an almost empty battery has something like 3.3 volts and can supply the energy. I understand the charging board microcontroller could easily get confused by the sudden change in battery voltage / current / what have you, but are there charging boards that are able to detect and handle that?

If that's so I don't even get how people use devices without replaceable batteries?

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Not correct. The charge board control the voltage and tapers the charging current as the battery is fully charged.
    Charger boards provide a constant current until the battery voltage reaches 4.2V. Thereafter, they provide 4.2V while monitoring the current drawn by the battery, and they stop providing voltage when current the battery is drawing drops below a certain threshold.

Powering up thr DNA board confuses the charge controller and can lead to overcharging the batteries. Bad things can happen when Lithium ion batteries are overcharged. No passthru vaping, charge boards are not designed as power supplies.
    I don't see this as a real issue. If you're vaping while charging, most of the energy comes from the battery. If at the end of a draw, the battery is below 4.2V, the board will run in constant current mode. If the battery is still a 4.2V, it will monitor the current the battery is drawing. Where is the confusion that leads to an over-charge? An over-charge would only occur if the board attempted to charge the battery to a voltage above 4.2V, or it didn't stop providing voltage when the current the battery is drawing at 4.2V drops below the threshold value. I don't see either of these happening.

MattB101

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 9, 2012
    Deerfield Beach, FL
    So there are no usb charging boards that can charge while you vape? I mean even an almost empty battery has something like 3.3 volts and can supply the energy. I understand the charging board microcontroller could easily get confused by the sudden change in battery voltage / current / what have you, but are there charging boards that are able to detect and handle that?

If that's so I don't even get how people use devices without replaceable batteries?

They have specially designed power supply/chargers. They supply quite a bit more power and I haven't seen a high wattage device with pass-thru. Mostly things like EGO and such.

Looking for something new that I like. Watch this space for new wit, halfwit, nitwit...

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    Doesn't really belong in this thread, but as I'm preparing to build a DNA40 box I'm slipping it in.

My first DNA mod, with a Fasttech clone board so I wouldn't throw away to much money if I mess up. It works, but the insides look terrible so I won't show them :) I also won't be surprised if it craps out in a couple of days... Probably not the best idea to build something so small for a first try, but I really wanted something small. I'm thinking I'll need to build one or two more with clone chips before I give a DNA40 a try.

4bf7034968032134ce1f266a7333b3b2.jpg

bdd16e0084e225f6cd93cb2da6dec2ad.jpg

MattB101

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 9, 2012
    Deerfield Beach, FL
    This is the enclosure I am going to try and build my DNA 40 mod in. It's from Fastech and I am kind of copying the Vapor Flask. It will be a two 18650 battery mod. Wish me luck. This will be the most complex mod I have ever built....

My intention is to bore you with the details as I progress through the build. Right now I am waiting on vape mail for the DNA 40 board and the charging board. At the same time I am trying to find another charger board that is the same basic size but 1000 mah versus 500 mah.

KGie

ECF Veteran
    Mar 13, 2014
    Tampa, FL USA
    This is the enclosure I am going to try and build my DNA 40 mod in. It's from Fastech and I am kind of copying the Vapor Flask. It will be a two 18650 battery mod. Wish me luck. This will be the most complex mod I have ever built....

I just ordered a Hana Modz enclosure from FastTech. I remember considering the one you got -- if I recall recall correctly, it's being sold as a battery charger? How wide is it? (Wouldn't you know, the one dimension you omitted. lol)

drmarble

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 8, 2014
    Oklahoma City, OK, USA

My intention is to bore you with the details as I progress through the build. Right now I am waiting on vape mail for the DNA 40 board and the charging board. At the same time I am trying to find another charger board that is the same basic size but 1000 mah versus 500 mah.

Mamu has some good suggestions for a similar build here:
    http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...0-arlo-dual-18650-dna20-30-step-step-how.html
    Hope this helps.

MattB101

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 9, 2012
    Deerfield Beach, FL
    I just ordered a Hana Modz enclosure from FastTech. I remember considering the one you got -- if I recall recall correctly, it's being sold as a battery charger? How wide is it? (Wouldn't you know, the one dimension you omitted. lol)

Forgot to measure/photo that one, I will in the morning. I think it's around 45mm. Yes that's the one.

MattB101

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 9, 2012
    Deerfield Beach, FL
    Anyone know how to test a dna40? I've got it in a mod and it was working great and just stopped it'd like it's not getting power to the board but in checked all connections,ground etc. And they are all fine. I can't get the board to light up. Any help is appreciated.

Are you sure it's not in stealth mode? I don't have mine yet but, I know it has it.

MattB101

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 9, 2012
    Deerfield Beach, FL
    DNA 40 board arrived today. Waiting on batteries and then a trip to the hobby store and I think it will be time to get started. Hope the blades I have for the band saw and scroll saw will work on mild aluminum. I want to make new tops and bottoms for the mod. Going to try and dado in the underside of the top plate to hold the display. We'll see how it works out. Hopefully I can use my Dremil as a router on the top. I want to make it look professional.

Firecrow

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 16, 2014
    Toronto, Ontario
    I have held off on a 40 and will continue to. I will stay with Kanthal and my dna 30's for now. They work well and I have no issues staying under 30 watts and very seldom get a dry hit anyways. The 30 just works..

With doots on this one. I too see all the misunderstand and bull.... flying around the net, and yes, the silence on best practices from Evolv speaks volumes - they know a lot but not everything. I too think this is a 1.0 product that needs to mature...

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread