My thoughts on the Volt, Mistic, and NJoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

username1970

May 14, 2012
USA
These are all relatively inexpensive e-cigs. The Volt (AFAIK) is available only through their website which I dislike, but so far their customer service and shipping has been very good. The njoy is available at Sam's Club (and possibly other places). Convenient for me at least and they seem to have plenty in stock. The Mistic is available at Walmart and a few other places - IF you're lucky.

They all cost about the same , but are they any good?

NJoy: I don't really like this e-cig. It tastes burnt. It also didn't seem to last very long. I did get a kick out of their packaging for refills though. It's a small pill bottle which serves well to remind us that we're still addicted to a drug.

In addition to being available at Sam's Club, I also notice that it is in at least one gas station.

Mistic: I really like this brand. It delivers and it doesn't taste bad. The problem seems to be with supply of refills. 4 weeks running now and Walmart still hasn't restocked. Their website also doesn't currently allow you to add refills to your cart. I called them yesterday - after about 30 rings someone finally picked up the phone and admitted they were having issues supplying vendors. They did claim that the Walmart near me had just received a new shipment, but a visit to that store was unsuccessful. Like the previous several weeks all they had were a couple 1.2% cartridges and what appeared to be a full supply of 0% nicotine cartridges. There is no "Add to Cart" button available for 1.8% refills on their website right now.

Volt: It's not as good as the Misitc (IMHO), but it's okay. They do seem dedicated to their customers in terms of filling and shipping orders promptly and responding to e-mails. It doesn't deliver the same satisfying hit as the Mistic, which means I find myself taking more drags off of it but it's a lot better than NJoy. It looks nicer than either of those brands. They have a nice website and a good selection of colors both of the batteries and LEDs on the end, but I'm not using these to look cool. It's a plus, but not the most important thing to me. The Mega Battery Charging Case is a great idea but it does seem flimsy and the cover they sell isn't designed to fit it at all. It was very hard to fit the case into the sleeve and it's so tight that it presses the button inside the case. So far, I've only tried the 555 and Smooth Sampler.I really don't think I'd care for the candy or fruit flavors and I actually prefer the "traditional" non-flavor that both Mistic and NJoy come in. I can smell the 555 and other tobacco flavors as soon as I pop them out of their plastic. The smooth sampler comes with a caramel flavored cartridge but while it's not as bad as I thought it might be, I'd still prefer to keep my candy and fruit separate from my vaping. If I want an apple, I'll eat an apple. If I want nicotine I'll vape something.

I haven't yet tried refilling cartridges on my own. That just seems like too much hassle to me and right now I'm still enjoying the fact that prefilled cartridges are still a lot cheaper than actual cigarettes.

username1970

May 14, 2012
USA
You've barely scratched the surface. You haven't even gotten to the better models on the market yet such as the Kgo, Silver Bullet, GLV2, Provari, Darwin, etc.

Yeah, about that - I don't want to devote a lot of time and effort into this. I don't actually like ordering stuff like this off of the internet. Put it in a brick-and-mortar store at a reasonable price point and I'll try it. If I like it I'll keep buying it. I ordered the Volt online because a few people here spoke highly of it and it's a nice simple product.

So far, I haven't seen anything quite so simple as a cigarette. I actually like the idea of lighting something on fire and inhaling the smoke and discarding it when it's all burned up.

I eventually might try something else but you just mentioned about 5 different brands and I'm not going to rush out to spend money on them and eagerly await their arrival in my mailbox. Does the Darwin come with an award?

Mroutlaw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2012
Deerfield Beach, Florida
www.
These are all relatively inexpensive e-cigs. The Volt (AFAIK) is available only through their website which I dislike, but so far their customer service and shipping has been very good. The NJoy is available at Sam's Club (and possibly other places). Convenient for me at least and they seem to have plenty in stock. The Mistic is available at Walmart and a few other places - IF you're lucky.

They all cost about the same , but are they any good?

NJoy: I don't really like this e-cig. It tastes burnt. It also didn't seem to last very long. I did get a kick out of their packaging for refills though. It's a small pill bottle which serves well to remind us that we're still addicted to a drug.

In addition to being available at Sam's Club, I also notice that it is in at least one gas station.

Mistic: I really like this brand. It delivers and it doesn't taste bad. The problem seems to be with supply of refills. 4 weeks running now and Walmart still hasn't restocked. Their website also doesn't currently allow you to add refills to your cart. I called them yesterday - after about 30 rings someone finally picked up the phone and admitted they were having issues supplying vendors. They did claim that the Walmart near me had just received a new shipment, but a visit to that store was unsuccessful. Like the previous several weeks all they had were a couple 1.2% cartridges and what appeared to be a full supply of 0% nicotine cartridges. There is no "Add to Cart" button available for 1.8% refills on their website right now.

Volt: It's not as good as the Misitc (IMHO), but it's okay. They do seem dedicated to their customers in terms of filling and shipping orders promptly and responding to e-mails. It doesn't deliver the same satisfying hit as the Mistic, which means I find myself taking more drags off of it but it's a lot better than NJoy. It looks nicer than either of those brands. They have a nice website and a good selection of colors both of the batteries and LEDs on the end, but I'm not using these to look cool. It's a plus, but not the most important thing to me. The Mega Battery Charging Case is a great idea but it does seem flimsy and the cover they sell isn't designed to fit it at all. It was very hard to fit the case into the sleeve and it's so tight that it presses the button inside the case. So far, I've only tried the 555 and Smooth Sampler.I really don't think I'd care for the candy or fruit flavors and I actually prefer the "traditional" non-flavor that both Mistic and NJoy come in. I can smell the 555 and other tobacco flavors as soon as I pop them out of their plastic. The smooth sampler comes with a caramel flavored cartridge but while it's not as bad as I thought it might be, I'd still prefer to keep my candy and fruit separate from my vaping. If I want an apple, I'll eat an apple. If I want nicotine I'll vape something.

I haven't yet tried refilling cartridges on my own. That just seems like too much hassle to me and right now I'm still enjoying the fact that prefilled cartridges are still a lot cheaper than actual cigarettes.

Prefilled cartos are not really cheaper than analogs unless you're in NY. Prefilled cartos are only equal to about 6-10 analog cigarettes and that's the amount you puff, not nicotine absorbed. The average prefilled carto is between $1.75-$2. You will need 2-3 cartos to get the same smoking experience as smoking a packed analogs. That equates to $4-$6, so your not really saving money unless you refill on your own. Refilling is very easy. It's a matter of putting a few drops down the top or filling the rubber boot(condom) half way with juice and the putting it back on the carto. It only costs 20-30cents to refill your cartomizers. That's where you save money.

As far as nicotine goes, it depends on the level you purchase. The average Full strength analog deliveres 1-2mg of absorbed nicotine. So, if you are a PAD smoker of Marlboro red, you need to take in 20-40 mg of nic. When a juice says 18mg nic, that's how much nicotine is in 1ml, not how much you absorb. So you would need more than 1 carto to get the nicotine of 1 pack of analogs, even with 18mg nic cartos.

as far as cost, how can you say they cost the same. A pack of njoy refills is $22 (it does not equal a carton of cigs, though it doesn't say how many ml of juice is in there, I have seem and used them and it's between 1-2ml. A pack of mystic cartos is $15 and a pack of smokeless image is $9 (all without coupons). That's not close to the same price.

Yes, the njoy and mistic are available in stores, but they are horrible products. There is no comparison of them to the volt. For $50 at smokeless image you can get two batteries (the larger 78mm, 380mah ones) a pack of cartos, a charger, and a bottle of juice to refill. That would last you at least 15 days. Then all you need to do is purchase more juice and occasionally replace the cartomizers. Even if you replaced the cartomizer every 6 fills, it would only cost you $20 for a pack of 5 cartomizers and a bottle of juice, that's the equivalent of 7 packs of mistic refill cartos ($105). My smokeless image cartos last about 20-30 refills before I toss them,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Yeah, about that - I don't want to devote a lot of time and effort into this. I don't actually like ordering stuff like this off of the internet. Put it in a brick-and-mortar store at a reasonable price point and I'll try it. If I like it I'll keep buying it. I ordered the Volt online because a few people here spoke highly of it and it's a nice simple product.

So far, I haven't seen anything quite so simple as a cigarette. I actually like the idea of lighting something on fire and inhaling the smoke and discarding it when it's all burned up.

I eventually might try something else but you just mentioned about 5 different brands and I'm not going to rush out to spend money on them and eagerly await their arrival in my mailbox. Does the Darwin come with an award?

Seeing as you don't want to devote any time or effort to it and you like to light something on fire and then throw it away, it sounds like smoking cigarettes is your salient choice. I must surmise that the concept of "effort is required to reap any benefit" is one you are not familar with.

Based on your comments, the disposibles you have already tried would be the closes to what you want. And the Darwin is considered one of the top two personal vaporizers on the market today.

Mroutlaw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2012
Deerfield Beach, Florida
www.
Seeing as you don't want to devote any time or effort to it and you like to light something on fire and then throw it away, it sounds like smoking cigarettes is your salient choice. I must surmise that the concept of "effort is required to reap any benefit" is one you are not familar with.

Based on your comments, the disposibles you have already tried would be the closes to what you want. And the Darwin is considered one of the top two personal vaporizers on the market today.

Thanks wv2win, you said it much nicer than what I was thinking

vichudson

Jun 2, 2012
A, A
I started vaping with the Mistic. It got me off analogs so that was a plus, but that's all the praise I could really give it besides the cheap price tag. About the refills problem you're having, I hated the flavor of the mistic juice and a quick youtube search tought me I could refill the cartos myself. Use a paperclip or small screwdriver and you can pop out the end cap from the mouth end of the carto. Then there is a little silicone washer. pull that out and you'll see cotton in a circle around a tube down the center. Get some good ejuice and drip it onto the cotton like you would fill a Zippo lighter. Go around the circle trying not to get juice down the tube in the middle. When the juice starts to stand on top of the cotton its full. put your washer and cap back on. Blow through it into a paper towel from the battery end just incase you got some down the tube. Then put it back on your battery and vape.

username1970

May 14, 2012
USA
I started vaping with the Mistic. It got me off analogs so that was a plus, but that's all the praise I could really give it besides the cheap price tag. About the refills problem you're having, I hated the flavor of the mistic juice and a quick youtube search tought me I could refill the cartos myself. Use a paperclip or small screwdriver and you can pop out the end cap from the mouth end of the carto. Then there is a little silicone washer. pull that out and you'll see cotton in a circle around a tube down the center. Get some good ejuice and drip it onto the cotton like you would fill a Zippo lighter. Go around the circle trying not to get juice down the tube in the middle. When the juice starts to stand on top of the cotton its full. put your washer and cap back on. Blow through it into a paper towel from the battery end just incase you got some down the tube. Then put it back on your battery and vape.

Thanks for the on-topic and thoughtful reply. it seems some others here are just trying to be adversarial. I also suspect many are shills.

There are obvious reasons why I don't want to smoke regular cigarettes anymore. I don't think I need to detail those, but the convenience of being able to pick up a pack just about anywhere and just fire up and forget them are things which I have not found yet within the e-cig market.

I find it quite interesting that one of the earlier posts said there wasn't that much of a difference in cost between regular cigarettes and cartridge refills. That doesn't seem to be my experience. I know I'm paying a lot less now. It certainly isn't free, but nothing ever is.

I'll also stand by my initial review. Mistic is better than Volt. Both Mistic and Volt are way better than NJoy. That is just like my opinion, man, but it's what I think.

tony.he

Moved On
Feb 23, 2012
China
www.kamry.cc
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

Kopfstimmen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2012
I started out on Mistics too. I was filling them just by using a dropper to drip liquid into the hole in the cartridge on the side that you screw the battery into, and then wiping it out with a Q-tip. I was putting about 6-9 drops in each time, and you can refill it like that about 5 times. You still get some flavor crossover, but it's easy and only takes a few seconds.

I'm got a new setup now, but I still keep the Mistic on hand, and plan to until it's dead. If you still have your old cartridges, you can reuse them that way for a while.

username1970

May 14, 2012
USA
Why not try greensmoke?

Only because I haven't heard of it and it doesn't seem to be available anywhere near here.

Right now the market seems filled with proprietary stuff. The 3 brands I mentioned are very similar, but they all have their own threading on their batteries. Batteries are pretty much just batteries. If they can provide the voltage and the current they are sufficient for their job and that doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

IMO, the e-cig industry would benefit from more standardization and just focus on refills. Buy a couple of batteries and then buy your favorite flavor - or non-flavor - from whoever.

RickMc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Fontana, CA
Only because I haven't heard of it and it doesn't seem to be available anywhere near here.

Right now the market seems filled with proprietary stuff. The 3 brands I mentioned are very similar, but they all have their own threading on their batteries. Batteries are pretty much just batteries. If they can provide the voltage and the current they are sufficient for their job and that doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

IMO, the e-cig industry would benefit from more standardization and just focus on refills. Buy a couple of batteries and then buy your favorite flavor - or non-flavor - from whoever.

Actually, there is a fair bit of standardization in place already. The Volt is a standard KR808 thread (I think It's KR808D2, officially. You can buy cartomizers, clearomizers, etc. a lot of places that fit it. The most common standard is the 510 threading, and you can buy 510 stuff all over the place. Proprietary is the exception rather than the rule.

Harplayr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Florida
Also batteries are not just batteries. The Volt cig-format batteries are either sealed or drip resistant depending on whether you get the auto or push button. Vot cig-format batteries are also regulated for a more consistant vape and come in two sizes the 78mm giving longer life.

In that same regard cartomizers are not just cartomizers. The Volt uses a horizontal coil which I find to be better than the standard virtical coil for this application. I find the volt cartomizers are more resistant to burning, last longer, give more vapor and flavor than some of the virtical cartomizers I've tried.

The one thing I'm disappointed in is Volt's juices, but that is purely subjective. I just buy their blank cartomizers and fill with a juice that is more to my liking.

I think you'll find very few experienced people here that would rate either the N-Joy or Mistic over the Volt system. I see the volt as having real advantages in technology and quality.

username1970

May 14, 2012
USA
Actually, there is a fair bit of standardization in place already. The Volt is a standard KR808 thread (I think It's KR808D2, officially. You can buy cartomizers, clearomizers, etc. a lot of places that fit it. The most common standard is the 510 threading, and you can buy 510 stuff all over the place. Proprietary is the exception rather than the rule.

Nice - I like how you're quick to point out that it's not just KR808, but KR808D2. Yeah, a sub-standard of a standard. None of the 3 brands I mentioned fit perfectly with any of the others. None of them claim to conform to any sort of standard.

Of course they all want you to be their customer forever which is why they probably don't do that, but it also turns people away from them just as easily.

username1970

May 14, 2012
USA
Also batteries are not just batteries. The Volt cig-format batteries are either sealed or drip resistant depending on whether you get the auto or push button. Vot cig-format batteries are also regulated for a more consistant vape and come in two sizes the 78mm giving longer life.

In that same regard cartomizers are not just cartomizers. The Volt uses a horizontal coil which I find to be better than the standard virtical coil for this application. I find the volt cartomizers are more resistant to burning, last longer, give more vapor and flavor than some of the virtical cartomizers I've tried.

The one thing I'm disappointed in is Volt's juices, but that is purely subjective. I just buy their blank cartomizers and fill with a juice that is more to my liking.

I think you'll find very few experienced people here that would rate either the N-Joy or Mistic over the Volt system. I see the volt as having real advantages in technology and quality.

Well, I didn't rate NJoy over Volt either. Both Volt and Mistic seem to have the current to supply the vapor. For that matter so does NJoy. It seems pretty simple. Provide voltage and current sufficient for vaping and they all actually seem to do that. So it then comes down to the cartridges full of nicotine juice which are much more subjective.

I almost feel like it's a discussion of Energizer vs. Duracell. Both are good batteries. Energizer trots out their bunny to convince me I should buy their brand. Duracell tells me to knock their block off or something. I think they're both good - I'll buy whichever is cheaper, but rest assured whichever I buy it will fit perfectly in whatever I put them in. The battery won't "sort of fit", it will fit perfectly whether it's a flashlight, a smoke alarm or a remote control.

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State

There is standardization the KR808 that is used in the volt you can get supplies for it from other places, the threading used in the other two you mentioned you can't, and then there is the 510 which currently is the one of the main out there offering a lot of options for users.

As far as your later post where you say

Of course they all want you to be their customer forever which is why they probably don't do that, but it also turns people away from them just as easily.

If you had read the reviews where the people here suggest the Volt you would have already read about being able to order juice and cartomizers and other things from many different places not just from smokeless image

Last edited:

Harplayr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Florida
Well, I didn't rate NJoy over Volt either. Both Volt and Mistic seem to have the current to supply the vapor. For that matter so does NJoy. It seems pretty simple. Provide voltage and current sufficient for vaping and they all actually seem to do that. So it then comes down to the cartridges full of nicotine juice which are much more subjective.

I almost feel like it's a discussion of Energizer vs. Duracell. Both are good batteries. Energizer trots out their bunny to convince me I should buy their brand. Duracell tells me to knock their block off or something. I think they're both good - I'll buy whichever is cheaper, but rest assured whichever I buy it will fit perfectly in whatever I put them in. The battery won't "sort of fit", it will fit perfectly whether it's a flashlight, a smoke alarm or a remote control.

I understand you’re very new to this, but there are REAL differences in technology that make a difference and are not just specs on paper or advertising gimmicks. I suggest you spend some time here to learn. We all came from a point of not knowing much about PV’s, and people here are very patient and willing to impart their experiences and knowledge.

A regulated battery like the Volt will provide relatively consistent voltage throughout its charge while an unregulated battery will drop off in voltage until it reaches its lower limit. The advantage to a regulated battery is that it provides a consistent vape that doesn’t start strong fresh off the charger then become very weak later on.

The advantage to sealed vs. unsealed is to protect against liquid shorting the battery out. The vast majority of experienced vapers will fill their own carto’s. There is a MUCH higher potential for liquid to destroy an unsealed battery than one that is sealed.

The Volt also uses on of the most popular thread styles, so non-proprietary options are available
These are REAL differences my friend.

Mroutlaw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2012
Deerfield Beach, Florida
www.

Ok, I'ver heard enough. I dont usually get confrontational, especially on here, but that is the most ridiculous comment I have ever heard. Actually, all of the above comments are ridiculous. You really need to stop reviewing products. Comments and statements like that are what confuse new vapers and have them end up paying double for a product.
Either you don't know enough about the vaping world, or you are being compensated by a company.

First of all, most of the stuff on the market is NOT proprietary. The most common thread type is 510. The ego, kgo, provari, lavatube, and many others, hell even the Blu all use 510 threading. The second type of popular threading is the 808. Vapor 4 Life, Halo, Smoov, Bloog, Smokeless Image and many others use the 808 threading. Though it is not as popular as the 510 threading, there is still a lot of accessories available for both. Many of the popular cartos, clearos and tanks can be purchased for either type, however not as many companies carry the 808 threading ones. Once you have a system in either one of these threadings, you can continue to add and and purchase accessories without buying systems. For example, you can use the cartos from V4L on a Smokeless Image product. If a company uses any threading other than these two, people should stay away from them unless they want to spend a tremendous amount of money on refills and parts and wanted to be limited to purchasing from only that company. They use weird threads so that you have to come back to them, thus repeat business.

Second, the batteries are pretty much batteries comment is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Thats not even true in the regular world, let alone the vaping world. In the Mini's alone, you have 180mah, 220 mah, 380mah, and more. They are available anywhere between 3.2v to the common regulated 3.7 to unregulated 4.2. Then you have the 650mah, 900mah, 1300mah egos, kgos X2s and more. Even those are different. Some are regulated, some are not. Some are Variable Voltage. We arent even touching the bigger setups like the provari or lavatube that arent disposable.

The size of the battery will determine how long it goes without needing a charge. The volts will determine the watts produced when combined with different ohms on the cartomizers. The more watts, the warmer the vapor. Both the size of the battery and the volts will determine what accessories you can use. For example, you cant use a Low resistance carto on a 180mah battery.

So, I've got news for you, The E-Cig industry is pretty standardized. Just about everyone on here has their favorite setup, whether it's the 808 or the more popular 510. We pretty much just buy replacement cartomizers, or clearomizers or tanks and Juice. When we are looking for better products, its to upgrade our battery to something better or bigger, but we can still use all of the accessories and juice we have when we upgrade.

So enough with my rant, but those type of statements hurt the new person on here who actually wants to quit using analogs. Either stop reviewing products or learn more before you tell people incorrect information

Mroutlaw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2012
Deerfield Beach, Florida
www.
Nice - I like how you're quick to point out that it's not just KR808, but KR808D2. Yeah, a sub-standard of a standard. None of the 3 brands I mentioned fit perfectly with any of the others. None of them claim to conform to any sort of standard.

the d2 is the version, but an 808 carto or clearo will fit on either model. Just like you have the Lincoln Navigator and the Ford Expedition, they are both the same truck, one just has extra stuff on it. The same break pads that work on the Navigator will fit the expedition. The reason the mistic, njoy and volt are not cross compatible is because the mystic and njoy are junk. They are also designed to be consumed and tossed so that you have to come back to them for more. Thats why the chain stores are willing to sell them. But even the Blu, which is a horrible mini cig, has the same threading as an ego. As much as it pains me to say it, I would buy that POS blu over a mistic or njoy. And I have tried all 3 of them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread