My timing, as always..., impeccable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
It seems like there are a lot of terms that used interchangeably for some stuff. I'm using 2 Aegis Solos and a Mini (just arrived). All the Cerebus tank. Now, I buy a pack of what they call coils, but they would be more properly called atomizers, right? (Some places do.) The coil is technically just the mesh or coil of wire that heats? Am I to understand coil + deck = atomizer?

I am cursed to try and be too technical about this stuff.

I'm wanting to use 1 of them for salt for a little while. The coils, or atomizers, or "little things I have to replace and will never have enough of", or whatever you'd like to call them are .2 ohm I believe.

If you like precision (as I do), vaping terminology may cause you some distress. A lot of it is pretty loose. Often it originally meant one thing (that made sense), but as the technology changed the original thing was supplanted with something else and the term was used for the new thing or applied to a wider category in a way that makes a lot less sense.

Take 'mod', for instance. It's from 'modified flashlight', as many of the first mod-like things were just that. Now it's often described as 'that thing you put the battery in.' You can also call it an APV, or advanced personal vaporizer, but mod is the usual term.

Atty/atomizer: The thing that was originally called an atty is rarely used nowadays. Currently, the term can mean either a tank with all its bits or a drop-in coil. For the sake of clarity, I'd recommend dropping the term and using either 'tank' or 'coil'.

Coil: The "little things you have to replace and will never have enough of" are most often called coils, unless you're talking about rebuildables, in which case it means the actual wire coil

Both nic salts and freebase nic can be used in any tank. Nic salts are basically a different chemical form of nicotine that (usually) has less throat hit. It was developed to make it possible to vape higher concentrations of nicotine - if you get high enough, the throat hit will make freebase nic hard (or impossible) to vape. Nic salts are usually used in pod mods or MTL (mouth-to-lung) setups, while freebase is usually used in some MTL and most DL (direct lung, sub-ohm usually means DL) setups. Pod mods are very low power and go through juice very slowly; MTL is in the middle; and DL is high power and goes through a lot of juice. The original idea is that with a pod mod each puff gives you a tiny bit of juice with high concentration of nicotine while DL gives you a lot of juice with a lower concentration of nicotine so you end up getting about the same amount of nicotine either way.

If you're wondering what wattage you should be vaping at, it depends on the coil (and the juice and your personal preferences). Coils usually have a recommended wattage range printed on the box and on the coil itself. The recommendations can be a bit exaggerated. My suggestion is to start at half of the bottom end of the range, so if it says 30 - 45 w, start at 15 or 20 watts. Vape a bit, then increase your wattage. Repeat. Continue to increase your power until the vape starts getting worse instead of better. Then go back to wherever you liked it best. That's the correct setting for you. Don't worry if you're outside the recommended range.

I want to add something to DeloresRose's useful advice. A mod's rating tells you how much power the board can handle, but it doesn't tell you how much power you can use safely. That depends entirely on your battery. Your Aegis Solo is rated 100w, but there are no 18650 batteries that can safely provide 100 watts and only a handful that can provide 90w.

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
How are you still alive?? I thought for sure that witch Bellus would have killed you by now! ;)
I am a low budget master (don't have a choice) Vapecrawler is very helpful if you don't mind scrolling for hours. DIY is great once you get used to it. What hardware do you want/need?

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
Greetings folks, from sunny-ish south FL. Guess I'm a little late to this party. It got me off cigs, so there's that, and what a cool rabbithole.

I'm just sad it took me this long. Vaping is so much more than just a smoking alternative, and I'm gutted that as soon as I get in to it, they want to take it away. Hard for me to stockpile, due to unemployment, but I'm doing the best I can. I'm still holding a sliver of hope that our government, and other related agencies, will get their collective heads out of their, well, you know. But that BT money, it's soooo shiny!
At least from my reasoning there are some things that you should concern yourself with more than others. Nicotine as in concentrated nicotine is something that goes a long way for a little money and that's going to be one of the things that most people believe is going to be the most difficult thing to acquire. After that my personal feeling is it is better to have some decent RTA or RDA tanks as you can get them very cheap from sites like FastTech and even other sites that often have sales. On a budget I would not want to get a device that's going to be dependent on Commercial coils but cotton and wire is always going to be available as it's not just for vaping. As far as juice goes vegetable glycerin and propylene glycol are also likely to always be available as they have multiple applications outside of vaping and same goes for food safe flavoring. You want to have a couple mods. I've been lucky and have found some for reasonable prices it doesn't have to be anything fancy and I personally think it's best to get ones with external battery because just like with the other things the batteries are used for other Hobbies so will likely be available. Batteries have a set life so an internal model is only going to last you for so long and then your whole device minus the tank is going to be scrapped because the batteries are no longer chargeable. Even if you don't understand how to use all of those things or you find them intimidating you can just get them and have them on hand and then you have time to learn about them. So personally on a very strict budget my focus would be liquid concentrated nicotine some RTA or RDAs and external battery mods. Now there will be people with expertise to be able to build a mod that's how this all started it's basically a battery pack however I personally don't think I'll ever feel comfortable with an unregulated device. I certainly am not prepared for eternity but I'm hoping that I'm covered for a few years because I too have a limit on $. There are tons of RTAs that I have found for $5 to $10 and even a couple mods under $10. This one at least give me time to become educated and knowledgeable and will open up New Horizons for the future regardless of Regulation

• Agree
Reactions: Blitzdonlife
Greetings folks, from sunny-ish south FL. Guess I'm a little late to this party. It got me off cigs, so there's that, and what a cool rabbithole.

I'm just sad it took me this long. Vaping is so much more than just a smoking alternative, and I'm gutted that as soon as I get in to it, they want to take it away. Hard for me to stockpile, due to unemployment, but I'm doing the best I can. I'm still holding a sliver of hope that our government, and other related agencies, will get their collective heads out of their, well, you know. But that BT money, it's soooo shiny!

Greetings, Oktayme the Red.

Oktayne the Red

Oct 4, 2019
I've been using the Solos at around 30-35 watts. I'm looking into RTAs, but for now I just bought a bunch of coils, .2 ohm. I've kinda been chain vaping off all of them, lost in trying all the flavors I've got. Next round of cash I get my hands on goes to putting some nic in the freezer and a couple more mods. I don't know that it's the smartest logic, but my idea is that if I have a bunch of the same mod, maybe I can swap parts around when things start going bad? The Geekvape mods seemed to have the best rep out of the lower cost mods, with relatively cheap coils for the Cerberus tank. Feels like a real nice tank, although my experience with different tanks is pretty limited. All I have to avoid is having them all in service, and pack a couple away.

I feel like I HAVE to get into the RTAs, no way I can squirrel away enough coils for 20 years. I'm very crafty with small stuff, but still a bit intimidated.

For that matter, I'm still hopeful that there will be other options that pop up over time. I can't believe that vaping as we know it will go completely the way of the Dodo bird. OR, maybe I can just finally give up the nic.

When you have a company that makes the same flavor in both salt and regular liquids, do they taste the same? Or at least close? I have 2 tobacco juices, Naked American Patriots salt juice, and Aqua American Red 6mg reg juice. I bought the Aqua because it was cheaper. I got bit. Not good, unless you wanted pretzel flavored juice. I like the Naked juice, it's good, but now I'm hesitant to buy the reg version, wondering if it's the same flavor as the salt version. I kinda want to get away from the salt juice.

Any cannabis flavored only juices out there? Recipes for DIY? I do love that flavor, but don't always want the real thing anymore.

Oktayne the Red

Oct 4, 2019
Another thing I need to look into-

My GF is curious/concerned about "second hand vape". Yes, it was a quick google search, but I found articles both good and bad. I figure you guys have the best articles already bookmarked. I just need to point her towards a couple of them. I don't worry about the effect on humans, but we're curious about our cat and I'm curious about other stuff. Like I know smoking cigs in the house was TERRIBLE for electronics. What about vaping and the effects on stuff like that?

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Another thing I need to look into-
My GF is curious/concerned about "second hand vape". Yes, it was a quick google search, but I found articles both good and bad. I figure you guys have the best articles already bookmarked. I just need to point her towards a couple of them. I don't worry about the effect on humans, but we're curious about our cat and I'm curious about other stuff. Like I know smoking cigs in the house was TERRIBLE for electronics. What about vaping and the effects on stuff like that?
Happy trails.
RE: http://info-electronic-cigarette.com/the-truth-about-second-hand-vapor/
VapeWild Test Results
E-Cigarette Side Effects: What Every Vaper Needs to Know
Why People Are Dying from Vaping in the U.S. and Not the U.K.
Vaping Scare Stories
Big Tobacco is funding the anti-smoking lobby – but leaked documents reveal the real reason why

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
I've been using the Solos at around 30-35 watts. I'm looking into RTAs, but for now I just bought a bunch of coils, .2 ohm. I've kinda been chain vaping off all of them, lost in trying all the flavors I've got. Next round of cash I get my hands on goes to putting some nic in the freezer and a couple more mods. I don't know that it's the smartest logic, but my idea is that if I have a bunch of the same mod, maybe I can swap parts around when things start going bad? The Geekvape mods seemed to have the best rep out of the lower cost mods, with relatively cheap coils for the Cerberus tank. Feels like a real nice tank, although my experience with different tanks is pretty limited. All I have to avoid is having them all in service, and pack a couple away.

I feel like I HAVE to get into the RTAs, no way I can squirrel away enough coils for 20 years. I'm very crafty with small stuff, but still a bit intimidated.

For that matter, I'm still hopeful that there will be other options that pop up over time. I can't believe that vaping as we know it will go completely the way of the Dodo bird. OR, maybe I can just finally give up the nic.

When you have a company that makes the same flavor in both salt and regular liquids, do they taste the same? Or at least close? I have 2 tobacco juices, Naked American Patriots salt juice, and Aqua American Red 6mg reg juice. I bought the Aqua because it was cheaper. I got bit. Not good, unless you wanted pretzel flavored juice. I like the Naked juice, it's good, but now I'm hesitant to buy the reg version, wondering if it's the same flavor as the salt version. I kinda want to get away from the salt juice.

Any cannabis flavored only juices out there? Recipes for DIY? I do love that flavor, but don't always want the real thing anymore.
I do think that there will be some options later down the line and also there probably will be a decent Black Market though you need to be really informed before you would venture into something like that and I would never do that for ejuice. I think even if you're not going to get into it now having an RTA or two as well as some mods with external battery power is going to be your best bet. I also purchased some of my favorite all in ones so I have a stockpile of those and I have 50 coils like premade commercial coils. Another option that I looked into was a rebuildable coil rather than an entire rebuildable tank. It's the same idea as an RTA but only the coil is rebuildable. I decided the RTA is made more sense because it's a bigger building surface but if you have a tank already that you like that has the option of a rebuildable coil then that might be a great fit. On top of that right now I'm using my sigelei sobra and I've used it the most and it has the moonshot 12

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
There are other options regarding the tank. If you have a tank that you really like and it has a rebuildable coil that will fit it you might be able to get that though when I was doing my research I couldn't find what I needed for my two tanks that use the same coils. I also decided that it would be easier to work with an RTA rather than having to rebuild a coil. That being said it's still an option to get a rebuildable atomizer. I also have watched many tutorials about cleaning the commercial coils and I've been using the same coil since the 22nd of last month without any change in taste that I've noticed. I've only had to rinse it out once with hot water and I think I can probably get away with doing that again and then after that I'll probably soak it and some cheap vodka or vinegar and clean it that way. I imagine that it will not be a problem unless something breaks for me to use the same coil for 3 plus months. I can also rewick it if I need to even though it's not built for that. I do tend to get a lot of life out of my coils even without cleaning them because I do use juice that is pretty clear and I Vape at a lower wattage mouth to lung Style. Also I find that my mesh coils last longer. There's also a tank that has a (I think)ceramic heating element (it's the riftcore) rather than a coil I bought one just in case it's like my emergency of emergency supply. I did try it out and honestly it's not pleasant the flavor is almost nil but all you have to do is change the cotton and the ceramic heating element is supposed to be good for a million puffs though I sincerely doubt it. I don't know if it's actually ceramic I don't really understand what's in it and there's a lot of controversy surrounding it and it possibly being toxic so that's definitely a concern and I'm not comfortable recommending it but it is something that I purchased for an emergency when I found it on sale. I think there is likely to be something similar to vaping but for the near future I think it's going to be pretty bleak. But there are a lot of options out there and the most basic of which is to stock up on your concentrated nicotine and get yourself a couple RTA and a couple external battery mods I do believe that a black market will exist though I would not want to get any e-juice from any sort of black market. While the RTA itself may become restricted the cotton, wire, ohm reader and tools for the most part will stay available. I'm not sure about the ohms reader only because the one I got anyway is clearly designed to be used with an e-cigarette so that's kind of unknown but there's other options for ohms reading

Oktayne the Red

Oct 4, 2019
I've been wondering about cleaning coils. I figured getting them wet meant you had to let them dry for a while before using again? Doesn't the cotton have to be dry before adding a new juice?

I've been looking for a way to clear out a flavor when I don't want to swap the coil, but the flavors are way different.

Also, I guess this is the first time I'm seeing that there a difference between an RTA and a rebuildable coil. Back to youtube I go...

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
I've been wondering about cleaning coils. I figured getting them wet meant you had to let them dry for a while before using again? Doesn't the cotton have to be dry before adding a new juice?

I've been looking for a way to clear out a flavor when I don't want to swap the coil, but the flavors are way different.

Also, I guess this is the first time I'm seeing that there a difference between an RTA and a rebuildable coil. Back to youtube I go...
Well as far as the coil goes there's like a device that is just like the commercial coils you have but is made to be rebuilt. For an example of one the "Smok baby prince rba" it doesn't come with a deck it's literally just the coil almost exactly like what you would purchase from the store in a 3 to 5 pack of disposables. And then there's the RTA which is the entire deck tank drip tip etc that you build a coil on or the RDA which is just like the RTA just without the tank.. I believe.. I'm not an expert this is just what I found in the stuff I looked up and from the advice I got. LOL.
On to the cleaning of coils I think the best way to do that is to make sure you have at least two coils because you do want it to dry out before you use it again though from my understanding people say it doesn't have to be completely dry. But if it's not dry it's going to be popping and you might get some spit back. So if you only have one device that you're using and you want to clean off a coil (and that's the commercial coils) you can use a new one while you wait for the other one to dry and just alternate. They usually dry in about 12 hours from my experience and that's just in the open-air if you wanted to like put it on an air vent or in front of a fan it would probably dry out a lot quicker. I've noticed after I clean one of my coils and let it dry once I prime it and start using it again it takes three to five Puffs for it to really taste normal again but I feel like it's well worth it especially if I can no longer just go online and purchase coils in the future

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada

Some people swear by cleaning drop-in coils, but most find it doesn't work very well. You can get a bit more time out of them, but not enough to be worth the effort. I get much better results from putting my time and effort into an RTA (and you can clean RTA coils effectively when you rewick them - it's the wicking in the drop-ins that's next to impossible to clean well).

As for switching flavours without switching the coil, I find unflavoured juice useful. Vaping 1/2 a tank of unflavoured between incompatible flavours usually flushes out the coil well enough.

fourmedallions

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2010
Orlando, Florida
Well, I've arrived a little bit on the late side as well. I started vaping in 2009 and was just getting into the DIY when I ended up losing my entire vape collection in 2013. I started smoking again and it was all very depressing and then this weird panic hit and I snapped out of it. Hopefully I snapped out in time to build up my stockpile. I am starting with the nic and then I am going to worry about the hardware.

I am a little bit confused about what is going to be banned, Flavors, nicotine, hardware? All of the above? Or juices containing flavors? Dunno, but I am going to prepare for the worst case scenario and then hope it doesn't happen. I want other people to be able to make the switch too.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
Well, I've arrived a little bit on the late side as well. I started vaping in 2009 and was just getting into the DIY when I ended up losing my entire vape collection in 2013. I started smoking again and it was all very depressing and then this weird panic hit and I snapped out of it. Hopefully I snapped out in time to build up my stockpile. I am starting with the nic and then I am going to worry about the hardware.

I am a little bit confused about what is going to be banned, Flavors, nicotine, hardware? All of the above? Or juices containing flavors? Dunno, but I am going to prepare for the worst case scenario and then hope it doesn't happen. I want other people to be able to make the switch too.
Well I guess it largely depends on what your state does. Pretty sure that the flavors are going to go first in combination with nicotine-containing eJuice. There may be some ways around it just depending on how the laws are written in your local area what a federal ban would look like I have no clue.

Last edited:

fourmedallions

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2010
Orlando, Florida
It is increasingly likely that that is what they're going to rule so no matter what I would say you have until no later than May when it comes to devices.

That sounds like about what I have been thinking. I'm starting with my nic and flavors and then moving on to my devices. Hopefully by May, I will have enough to vape on happily for a long time to come.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
That sounds like about what I have been thinking. I'm starting with my nic and flavors and then moving on to my devices. Hopefully by May, I will have enough to vape on happily for a long time to come.
It just came to my attention that I could be mistaken as to what is going to be unlikely to survive after May so I did change my original post. Im not sure about components that are non tobacco and that are not technically considered an ENDS device but are rather an accessory like coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread