My Vape Tastes Like...Gravy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxibkrby

Jul 12, 2017
ohio
Hi everyone my name is Kirby!!
I've been vaping for about a year and a half and I've had the Vaporesso Tarot Nano since this spring. The juice I'm using is Donkey Kahn (by Humble) in a mix of 3 and 6 nic. A couple weeks ago I opened my bag to find my entire tank empty and my battery dead. I cleaned the whole mod and primed a new coil (let it sit for about 30 min and took a few hits without hitting the fire button) and it tasted fine. However, this happ ened again (I suck at remembering to lock it) and after doing all the same things it tasted off. In the past few days, the taste evolved from just tasting burnt and gross... to tasting like gravy. It's really gross. I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to what I should do if there's any way to save my vape. Thank you!!

Reactions: BrotherBob

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Welcome to the board. I am not familiar with the unit, but reading about it, can I assume you're using the EUC type coils in the Veco tank? This makes me wonder if there's some burnt juice or something inside the sleeve that is polluting the new coil. What coil value and type are you using, what mode is the mod set in, and how have you set it up?

If you're not using the ceramic type coils, you may want to try one. I don't use them, but they're supposed to be ultra-clean tasting.

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
Welcome to the board. I am not familiar with the unit, but reading about it, can I assume you're using the EUC type coils in the Veco tank? This makes me wonder if there's some burnt juice or something inside the sleeve that is polluting the new coil. What coil value and type are you using, what mode is the mod set in, and how have you set it up?

If you're not using the ceramic type coils, you may want to try one. I don't use them, but they're supposed to be ultra-clean tasting.

Yeah, that's the only way I can think of that anything could be affecting taste long term if the tank is thoroughly cleaned out and the coil is changed:

EUC.png

Clean that thing on the left that the coil sits in.

Reactions: xxxibkrby

xxxibkrby

Jul 12, 2017
ohio

Thanks! Right now I have in a EUC "traditional" coil. Maybe that's the issue? I have an old coil wrapper saved and that one says its ceramic, so maybe I just have to go back to those ones? I use the mode where you change the wattage with the small buttons and it has an s in a square..(I'm not sure what the mode name is). I'm usually vaping at 30-50 watts.
What you said about the burnt juice also is a concern to me. When I clean my vape it actually takes a while since it gets pretty dirty (with dark brown gooey stuff) in there, which I'm not sure is a normal vape thing or because of something I did.

xxxibkrby

Jul 12, 2017
ohio
Yeah, that's the only way I can think of that anything could be affecting taste long term if the tank is thoroughly cleaned out and the coil is changed:

EUC.png

Clean that thing on the left that the coil sits in.
Thank you for the advice! Is there a way to get the thing the coil sits in out of the mod so I can see it better or is it stuck ?

Reactions: listopencil

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
Thank you for the advice! Is there a way to get the thing the coil sits in out of the mod so I can see it better or is it stuck ?

It should come out with the coil. When you took the coil out did it look like the pic on the right or the pic on the left?

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Thanks! Right now I have in a EUC "traditional" coil. Maybe that's the issue? I have an old coil wrapper saved and that one says its ceramic, so maybe I just have to go back to those ones? I use the mode where you change the wattage with the small buttons and it has an s in a square..(I'm not sure what the mode name is). I'm usually vaping at 30-50 watts.
What you said about the burnt juice also is a concern to me. When I clean my vape it actually takes a while since it gets pretty dirty (with dark brown gooey stuff) in there, which I'm not sure is a normal vape thing or because of something I did.

It looks like the right picture

Ooo-kay...

Yes, I would go back to ceramic coils if you can. Regarding getting the other piece out, I am handicapped by not having the tank myself. Yes, the lower part (left pic) should also come out. Is it possible to disassemble the tank far enough so you can get a rubber jar opener on it? I'd suggest pliers also, but if you bend it, you'll be effed for fair. You'd then either need to get the bent part out and replace it, or it's new tank city.

The thick, brown (yucky-tasting) gunk is residue from the coil. Most juices have a sweetener added, and this caramelizes over time, then eventually burns. That's probably why your tank tastes foul. Definitely try to get the sleeve out. I suspect that's your problem. And yes, go back to ceramic coils if you liked them.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Try screwing the coil back into the holder and then pulling the entire thing out of your tank.

This. I'm betting you still have something gross in there from the spill. If you've used ceramic, I think it's likely that you would notice a difference, possibly, with another coil, but if you have a bunch of those coils you could certainly try using one again, (throw away the one you have) to see how it performs compared to ceramic I doubt the new coil is your main issue here, though it may be contributing. Good luck, and congrats on not frying the mod itself (I hope).

Best of luck.

Anna

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi everyone my name is Kirby!!
I've been vaping for about a year and a half and I've had the Vaporesso Tarot Nano since this spring. The juice I'm using is Donkey Kahn (by Humble) in a mix of 3 and 6 nic. A couple weeks ago I opened my bag to find my entire tank empty and my battery dead. I cleaned the whole mod and primed a new coil (let it sit for about 30 min and took a few hits without hitting the fire button) and it tasted fine. However, this happ ened again (I suck at remembering to lock it) and after doing all the same things it tasted off. In the past few days, the taste evolved from just tasting burnt and gross... to tasting like gravy. It's really gross. I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to what I should do if there's any way to save my vape. Thank you!!
Welcome and glad you joined.
Here are some other problems that can make juice taste bad.
Might like to read:
http://diyordievaping.com/2016/02/26/why-is-my-ejuice-harsh-beginner-diy-ejuice-tips/
Allergies, Conditions and E-Liquid - The Complete Guide to E-Cig Safety
Wattage vs. Flavor | E-Cigarette Forum
How to adjust your base to reduce that peppery harsh Nicotine taste | E-Cigarette Forum

xxxibkrby

Jul 12, 2017
ohio
Try screwing the coil back into the holder and then pulling the entire thing out of your tank.
I'm kind of struggling lol so here's pictures of what I have
va9ABXF.jpg

The coil magnetically attaches in here and when I screw the tank off this is all that comes off.. so when I pop the coil back out there's nothing else that comes out with it
LTAvG7s.jpg

This bottom part of the tank is stuck on the battery and I've tried everything to get it off... Is that what I need to do in order to fully clean it? Or is there a way to screw something out without breaking the whole piece?

Reactions: listopencil

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yes, you'd want to remove that part and make sure no juice is under the pin? I think? It may be fused due to your tank's misadventures, so unless you are super handy (I might try a pair of needle nosed pliers, but I'm not mechanically minded, (yet) so you may get some better suggestions than mine. :)

If it's utterly intractable, you may want to take it to a vape shop that has a mechanical guy, or heck, even knowledgeable staff, and they may be able to help you and make sure that everything's entirely clean/safe. If you have that option, I would do it, just because I'd want to be sure the problem was corrected. You're also going to want to check the pin and make sure nothiing's gotten down into the mod that way.

Good luck! Anna

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
va9ABXF.jpg

The coil magnetically attaches in here and when I screw the tank off this is all that comes off.. so when I pop the coil back out there's nothing else that comes out with it
LTAvG7s.jpg

This bottom part of the tank is stuck on the battery and I've tried everything to get it off... Is that what I need to do in order to fully clean it? Or is there a way to screw something out without breaking the whole piece?
To remove the tank base from the mod, put the mod and base in the freezer for 10 minutes, then try unscrewing it using a rubber jar opener like you can get at the grocery store. If that doesn't work, try repeating the experiment with pliers (need I add carefully?).

In your top photo, the center, protruding cylinder appears to be the base of the coil sleeve and it should be connected to the slanted face ring surrounding it. In the stock photo of the coil sleeve, the part that's slanted appears both perpendicular and knurled. I suspect-- understand I am guessing-- you have to unscrew the slanted face ring to remove it from the tank. I do not see an easy way to do that this side of a pair of needle nose pliers. Before you try this, though, can you post a pic of the part of the coil you say you can get out?

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
the taste evolved from just tasting burnt and gross... to tasting like gravy.

Sorry, but I will go against the majority advice and say that it MAY be the ejuice.

I've received flavorings that literally "went bad" in 10 days. And I just bought it! (these are subtleties you figure out once you start DIYing for yourself).

You don't know how long a super large bottle of flavoring has been opened, that is being mixed into ejuice, even if the ejuice itself is freshly made. It also depends on how many times the flavoring and other stuff has been opened and closed (exposed to air and light).

Your comment "took a few hits without hitting the fire button and it tasted fine" leads me to believe that when heated, SOMETHING in the eliquid is not taking to heat very well.

Sometimes that is because of too much sweetner added to the ejuice so when heated it tastes awful because it is actually "burning" even without high heat. sometimes it's because there's too much VG and your coils aren't handling very well once button is pressed. Other times, it's just old flavoring. Or even old nicotine. And yeah, sometimes it's your coil or actual device, but not always.

Just wanna put this out there.

Have yu tested with different eliquids?

Last edited:

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
va9ABXF.jpg

LTAvG7s.jpg

Yeah...you haven't removed your tank from your mod. You should be looking at nothing but a 510 connection in that bottom pic. That bottom part of the tank has gunk in it and it's going to taste like crap until you get it off of there and get it cleaned or replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread