The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

my vaporizer gets so hot...

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by im_coryy, Apr 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. edyle

edyle ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

It should be the same if you using the same voltage, but I bet you use a higher voltage on the dual coil. The dual coil has 2 3 ohm coils in parallel; the 3 ohm coils need a higher voltage to get up to temperature

2. NealBJr

NealBJr Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 27, 2013
    Lawrenceville, Ga.
    Whether or not you have one or two coils is not the issue, it's the ohm rating. You can have 10 coils in an atomizer, but if it reads 1.5 ohm.. that's 2.4 amps.

Now, at 1.5 ohms, that would only give about 9.1 watts of power. most coils heat up nicely at 8 watts If you had 10 coils in my example, it would only supply .91 watts to each coil.. which isn't enough to get it warm.

That being said, the answer to the OP's question might be the ohm rating. Try a higher ohm coil and see what happens. Also, if the battery is getting warm, then it's definatley time to go UP in the ohms. if your battery is fine, and it's just the protank getting warm, you could either up the ohms, or change tanks occasionally to give the other time to cool down.

3. edyle

4. happydave

happydave Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 2, 2013
    United States
    it does not work like that... the only reason for this, (needing to up the voltage) is that your VV mod is putting out a constant amperage.
    remember Volts x Amps = watts.

5. Dampmaskin

Dampmaskin Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 28, 2014
    Norway
    I don't understand. Are you saying that VV mods use current regulation instead of voltage regulation? And if they do, how is that relevant to what temperature the coil reaches?

6. im_coryy

im_coryy Senior Member ECF Veteran

Apr 1, 2014
    USA
    so what does all this mean? its all kinda way over my head. so should i go and put the protank 3 away until i can purchase a stronger battery?

it cools down after a few seconds.

so this is norml for it to get slightly warm...

7. Timactionfigures

Timactionfigures Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 23, 2014
    Boringhamton, NY, USA
    I don't know if I'm more or less confused now. I think I probably did increase the voltage on a dual-coil setup, but does that even matter in regards to current? I don't know...my brain hurts...LOL! :oops:

8. Dampmaskin

Jan 28, 2014
    Norway
    It is normal for the atomizer to get warm, or even hot.

It is normal for a battery to get slightly warm. But if it gets hot, you should stop using it immediately.

9. Dampmaskin

Jan 28, 2014
    Norway
    Yes. As long as the resistance is constant, the current is directly proportional to the voltage.

10. jesse gipson
    This message by jesse gipson has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Apr 4, 2014, Reason: Spamming for post count.
    Apr 4, 2014
  11. jesse gipson
    This message by jesse gipson has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Apr 4, 2014, Reason: Spamming for post count.
    Apr 4, 2014
  12. jesse gipson
    Apr 4, 2014
  13. jesse gipson
    Apr 4, 2014
  14. jesse gipson
    Apr 4, 2014
  15. chebird

chebird Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 21, 2013
    Western Mass
    Yes this is normal for it to get slightly warm the protank will get warm as will the top of the battery due to the transfer of heat from the coil.

I would suggest you do get a larger capacity battery though you must be charging that one an awful lot:)

16. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Georgia
    With a drill bit, of course.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :p

17. edyle

It means PLEASE get a higher ohm coil; dual coils tend to be low ohms and draw alot of power, and your little eGo battery wasn't really intended for too much.

I'm sure it's perfectly fine for somebody is already used to vaping for a while, but if you're just starting out, I'd say be very cautious about anything getting hot.

After hot comes smoke. After smoke comes ........

I've had a couple eGo batteries do funny stuff on me; one started getting way too hot and so I put it on the floor and it started to smoke and self destruct; nothing I could but sit and watch

18. chebird

Nov 21, 2013
    Western Mass
    Jesse, welcome to ECF, please start your own thread, if you have unrelated questions, we are trying to work out other problems here thanks.

19. im_coryy

Apr 1, 2014
    USA
    it lasts me one tank i gott charge it once a day i need new batteries. one day my collection will grow! vaping has turned into quite the hobby for me

20. im_coryy

Apr 1, 2014
    USA
    lol derail!

21. chebird

Nov 21, 2013
    Western Mass
    This makes no sense, I hope your blog is not this confusing, please elaborate on this?

22. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Georgia
    Jesse Gipson.... You've asked a lot of questions there.

For your K-100... I would think an RDA style topper would work great.

'Easy tank to build'... The kayfun style tanks aren't hard and they perform very well.

'Need a good battery'... For what? Your K-100?

23. im_coryy

Apr 1, 2014
    USA
    so what would be recommended? something similar to the kangertech 1000mah? the whole voltage and ohm is way over my head. i guess i should research a little more.

24. im_coryy

Apr 1, 2014
    USA
    yes i agree, please explain it to us like were a bunch of 5 year olds (being serious i dont get this either)

25. happydave

happydave Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 2, 2013
    United States
    if you have a single 1.5 ohm coil at 4.2 volts it will pull 2.8 amps from the battery.
    if you have a duel coil with an over all circuit resistance of 1.5 ohms (Two 3 ohm coils) it will 2.8 amps from the battery.
    if you have a duel coil with and over all circuit resistance of .75 amps (two 1.5 ohm coils) it will pull 5.6 amps from the battery.
    the number of amps is divided by the number of parallel branches (as long as each branch as the same resistance). the volts will remain the same at the start of each branch. so you still have 4.2 volts at the start of each branch. Volts x Amps = Watts. and the Watt is a unit of power. how much power each coil gets will directly effect the temp of the coil.

the only reason why you would need to crank up the voltage to get the same watts per coil is because the amps are being limited.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.