The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

My Very First "From Scratch" DiD Clone Setup - A Show'n'Tell Thread

Discussion in 'Canada Forum' started by tygertyger, Dec 21, 2012.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. tygertyger

tygertyger Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I'm so proud of myself, I had to share...

I've been making coils and fiddling with my DiD clones now for a wee bit with thoroughly enjoyable results.

01.jpg

Until today, the unthinkable happened. A tiny crack in the bottom edge of the tank started weeping juice a few days ago, but at an infinitisimally slow rate. Manageable I thought.... until I woke today to find a wee dribble down the side of my Lambo and a tiny pool forming at its feet. It was time to switch to the metal tank as a temporary measure. What better time to actually start completely from scratch and try my hand at creating my first wick as well?

So, tonight with the wee'un snug abed, I went to work dissembling, cleaning, and reassembling the clone. Next came oxidizing the daylights out of the mesh and making a (damned fine if I do say so!) wick. It fit the wick hole perfectly, sliding in with only a slight push of my finger.
    02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg

Up until this trial, I'd been using a tyger-variation of the "drill-bit" method (meaning I don't have a drill bit so I used a crochet hook lol).... but this time I decided to try free-wrapping the wick itself to ensure there was no spaces between wick and wire. Using my trusty T-pin to poke up into the wick and hold it firm, I used 30awg for the first time. All my other coils have been made with 32. It turned out nicely, and I connected the negative and positives.

Said a quick prayer as I set the Lambo to its lowest volt setting, held it away from my face, squinted, bit my tongue, and fired.....
    (continued below)

2. tygertyger

SUCCESS! By the time I was done testing, I had all coils glowing evenly at 4.5v, so I filled 'er up, and am now vaping thick clouds at 4.2v.

05.jpg 06.jpg 07.jpg

And for the record, the only adjustments I made to the coils were for aesthetics. All were glowing fine before I started poking. By the time I was done, the unevenness you see in the last picture was corrected and that coil looks like it was wound on a lathe lol.

OCD? yes. and your point is?

3. bk78

bk78 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 20, 2012
    Edmonton
    Very very nice good job tyger I'm so proud of you. Now just don't even look at it again or it will get scared and have a hot spot. I' have the best coil on my orion rite now too. It's a 3/4 wrap at 1.3ohms and its producing crazy clouds.

4. tygertyger

Ok, I promise! I put the cap on and I won't open it until it needs topping up lol.

I can hardly wait until I can start working on something like what you've got there. These DiDs are great practice, but I have a deep appreciation for precision and excellent quality. Hopefully when I'm ready for that step, I'll find a stupendous deal ;) Glad you're enjoying that Orion.... they look terrific!

5. bk78

Mar 20, 2012
    Edmonton
    I just put my orion up for sale. Because I bought a brand new one and a ihybrid yesterday.

6. therealcmac

therealcmac Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

junky innocent.gif

7. MisterMike

MisterMike Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 22, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Bravo!

[​IMG]

I hear that the 30ga. is a lot more forgiving when it comes to coil set-up. I should probably get me some.

8. Royaldrunker

Royaldrunker Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 26, 2012
    Vancouver
    Very nice job, those are some fine coils. I havn't tried 30 yet either and have a few yards to test later

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

9. MaseDuce

MaseDuce Full Member Verified Member

Dec 18, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    Great Job! Looks like you got this now. I have always free hand wrapped my coils and also like the 3/4 wrap myself :)

10. Crusnik W03

Crusnik W03 Senior Member Verified Member

Dec 8, 2012
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    That looks just GREAT! you should start mass producing those lovely coils lol

I will be picking up my DID clone tomorrow but have no mesh to play with... Maybe Santa will get me some LOL

11. struckus

struckus Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    awesome job tyger! what did you end up using to oxidise your coil?

12. bigfrank64

bigfrank64 Full Member

Jul 10, 2012
    Owen Sound, ON, Canda
    Way to go tyger great job.

13. tygertyger

Well, I made probably only half a dozen at 32awg now, and only the one at 30awg, but just from those few.... I would concur! Then again, there were two variables involved..... this was also my first free wrap.

Thank you thank you *beaming*..... as for mesh, I heard a rumor that there's a mesh coop running right now that makes it pretty cheap.... something like $2.50 a sheet (but I have a terrible memory for details, so check into it and don't take my word for that).

Thanks struckus! I used a very effective and neat little trick I got from a buddy. Not to be secretive or evasive, but he hasn't really talked about this little trick yet, so I don't want to steal his thunder. Let me check if he's releasing it at Youtube or similar soon, or if he minds if I just blurt it out here with credit to him. Watch this thread and soon you'll have that info! I already wrote him to ask if he minds me posting it here.

14. tygertyger

Ah! I soooo wish I could buy it! But I have spent more than enough lately lol. Take care of that new one, and maybe by the time I can afford one, you'll be ready for your next upgrade! ;)

15. struckus

Oct 24, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    is it funky vapes trick from the other night? that's kind of what I was wondering if you did..cus that's what i'm going to try..it's cheaper lol

16. bk78

Mar 20, 2012
    Edmonton
    I always take good care of my toys. And tend to upgrade too fast.

17. tygertyger

Hi struckus! Yes, it's FunkyVapes' trick, but I didn't hear him say it on the show (was in and out that night). He suggested to use pop or juice to oxidize, so I tried it. It works fantastic! First I got the flat mesh glowing several times with a propane torch. Then I rolled the coil. Then, I dipped it in a few drops of iced tea and torched it 'til it glowed again. I did the dip'n'fry four times with the iced tea for this pictured wick. Today, I just finished doing a second one, this time with a few drops of my son's apple juice.

I learned something across the two experiences too. A well carboned-up wick, wicks fluid much more efficiently. The first time you dip it in the liquid, you have to make sure you get all parts wet. With each subsequent dip, you see it wick up the length quicker, until on the fourth dip, all you have to do is touch the end to the juice and BAM the whole wick is wet. Maybe y'all knew that, but it was interesting to me and kind of negates the pyrex-tube theory of there being no need to oxidize. Oxidation does more than merely insulate the coil.

ohhhhh yes?..... that's good news for me perhaps ;)
    Hope your new one arrives quick for you to enjoy :)

18. struckus

Oct 24, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    awesome yeah he said pop works so I wanted to try it out when I get my genesis..I want a CHID from canvape but don't know what mess comes with it..any clue? does the non-glass one come with mesh? the glass one has it in the pictures but doesn't say what size it is..might just go for an aga-t..

19. tygertyger

uh? come with? nothing came with my DiD from Canvape..... and beware.... the picture shows a nice steel driptip on a stainless steel finish clone, but mine arrived with a black delrin tip on a chrome DiD. Mine was the standalone though. The kit pictures mesh and wire but I don't know if it includes both tanks or not. Best to send an email and be very very specific with your questions. The kit is cute, but I wouldn't pay an extra $10 for a pretty tin, and some mesh and wire. Just sayin'...

If I may suggest an alternative, try this:
    eastsidevapes.com
    And use coupon code X-mas to get 20% off your order..... ends up cheaper than canvape. And Jason's customer service is second to none :) He also carries kanthal A wire (32awg) but you'll need to look around for mesh. JR's Custom turning carries it, but are closed for the holidays. There was also talk of a coop you might want to look into...

20. struckus

Oct 24, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    thanks tyger yeah JR is closed I was going to get some from him..that looks like a nice Genesis..I may just get the aga-t from discount vapers because they also have the igo-l I really want and was going to order..it'll be a little wait for shipping but whatever lol..or I may just wait til juggy gets em in..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.