Brass vs Stainless Steel positive connection poles

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpowers

Mar 31, 2011
NY
Hi ECF,

I'm going to be picking up a DID in the near future and I wanted to get your take on which type of positive connection pole (and possibly nuts) I should request be shipped with my DID. It seems as though it originally shipped with a brass pole and nuts, but now ships with a stainless steel pole and nuts.

From the chart found at Conductive Materials or Metal Conductivity - TIBTECH innovations - it seems as though brass is 15 times more conductive:

Electrical conductivity of Brass is 15,9 (10.E6 Siemens/m)
Electrical conductivity of St.Steel is around 1,37 (10.E6 Siemens/m)

I also read somewhere else that brass can oxidize and release toxic metal-oxides. This doesn't seem like a problem as the pole doesn't actually make contact with the liquid in the tank however the top of the pole would be exposed. I think this can be solved by getting stainless steel nuts to cover the top though.

Wonder if anyone here has any experience with both poles, do they have any remarkable difference?

Thanks,
jpowers

Last edited:

johnlacie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
-
Yes, brass indeed has a better conductivity than stainless steel. However, the difference is negligible for the purposes of vaping since the resistance of the stainless steel post would still be significantly less than 0.01 ohms. What I think is more important is the metal toxicity that brass may introduce over long term use.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread