Status
Not open for further replies.

rhammer186

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2015
NY
I don't have answers since I'm pretty new to vaping. I've experienced that same problem from time to time with my nautilus mini as well. I find that it tends to happen more with my sweeter juices compared to the others. The way I fix it is by vaping at a lower wattage - from 8.3w (my optimal watts) to 7.8-8w depending on the juice, and then going back up when the burnt taste clears. As to why it happens, I have no clue. But doing that seems to work for me.

-Rachel

navigator2011

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Fullerton, CA, USA
I have two of those tanks also, but I am only using one at about 11-12 Watts. Never had a dry hit with it, rather I tend to get occasional slight gurgles with mine. Maybe try priming new coils really well, don't screw the tank on too tight (just snug enough to prevent leaks), and use a thinner juice.

I prime the coils and let them sit whenever thwey are replaced, and i typically have the tank only threaded down about half way through the thickness of the O-ring. So im fairly confident i can rule those 2 possibilities out, as far as the thinner juice goes, it seems to happen with both 50/50, and 70/30 (pg/vg). I appreciate all the suggestions so far! I have been trying to figure this out for about a month now, and i've yet to come to a solution. Frustrations beginning to set in! haha

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I too have 2 N minis and they are what I use most of the time. I run them at 8.0 watts. I do okay at 10.5 watts but the amount of vapor and flavor is better for me at 8. If I chain vape too many hits I might get a burnt hit. That's usually the only time it happens. But if a lot of gunk builds up on the coil over time and that restricts the air flow and insulates the coil may be the liquid isn't cooling the coil effectively and some of the gunk burns. When that happens a few times it's usually time to replace. I am getting weary of buying replacement coils. Rebuilding is on the road map just because I'm cheap.

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
I too have 2 N minis and they are what I use most of the time. I run them at 8.0 watts. I do okay at 10.5 watts but the amount of vapor and flavor is better for me at 8. If I chain vape too many hits I might get a burnt hit. That's usually the only time it happens. But if a lot of gunk builds up on the coil over time and that restricts the air flow and insulates the coil may be the liquid isn't cooling the coil effectively and some of the gunk burns. When that happens a few times it's usually time to replace. I am getting weary of buying replacement coils. Rebuilding is on the road map just because I'm cheap.

I rebuild - not just because its cheaper ($10 for 100' of wire, $10 for 200 sheets japanese cotton, $10 for micro screwdriver set, $20 ohm reader) but also because there is only one person to blame for a "dud" coil... ME! lol I get no duds now, and takes me 20min to rebuild from the ground up... usually a coil lasts several months an all I have to do is slap some new cotton in there every few days which takes less than 5 minutes. Before you get into rebuilding, make sure you learn ohms law (dont need to memorize any formulas or anything, just understand how things function) and read up on battery safety.

I have a Nautilus Mini and was having the same problem. It drove me insane! Found out I was getting fake coils that really suck. They look really close. Check the four holes in the coil with a pin to see if they are blocked or not. You should be able to poke into the middle of the coil in two of the holes opposite of each other. I was able to get the fake ones to work decent by pushing the wicking material out the way of the holes with a pin. It helped with the dry hits but causes flooding.

navigator2011

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Fullerton, CA, USA

Also, once that build up burns, it can contaminate your juice with "burnt taste" flavor. I did have that happen one time with the Nautilus mini. I then cleaned everything and installed a new coil.

Meanwhile, Bernier51, when you prime the coils, do you begin by dropping some juice down the chimney directly onto the screen area of the coil?

Meanwhile, Bernier51, when you prime the coils, do you begin by dropping some juice down the chimney directly onto the screen area of the coil?

Yes i do, i also puff on it a few times periodically without firing the mod, to assure juice has been drawn into the coil. One time i did forget to prime it, but that was the end of that coil haha. after that it took a while to get the burnt taste out of it, This is different though the burnt taste is no where near as strong as when i forgot to prime the coil

vincom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Philippines
i usually run mine at 11 watts and no dry hits
priming is important, drip a few drops down center of coil, close off air hole and do a couple of short drags then let sit upright for 5-15min depending on juice vg ratio.
start off w/low watts for the first few minutes and slowly bump it up.

clones are prevelant and they seem to suck
one way to see if the bvc coils are real is look at them from the top, notice the difference in the stainless steel mesh and the airhole down the middle of the coil is nicer/cleaner.

bvc2.jpg

So, the burnt taste is sort of a slight essence of burnt-ness? Does it just sort of come and go occasionally? Also, how long (or, how many ml) has the coil been running?
Thats exactly how i would describe it, it does tend to come and go occaisonally. As for the amount of juice thats has gone through it, id say roughly about 15ml, give or take a bit.

navigator2011

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Fullerton, CA, USA
Well, that coil is probably getting ready to die. Whenever I've had coils do that transient slight burnt taste, I just replaced the coil for fear that it would ruin all the remaining juice when it finally does burn. I figured changing coils every so often is still a lot cheaper than what I was smoking before.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
Arizona, Ecuador
The only thing I can think of is cloned coils, I have several nautilus mini's, I've never had that happen unless the coil was week(s) old and it needed to be replaced anyway.

Very seldom do I get burnt coils now, I just replace them once a week regardless if its working. I'm after flavor, not clouds.

bohrdom

ECF Veteran
Jan 9, 2014
Foster City, CA, USA
I get this too from time to time. My suspicion is that these coils aren't particularly well made and some of them are just bad from the start. I've had some fresh coils give me that problem even after letting them wick overnight - swap the coil, no more burnt taste. And as others have said it's a little dependent on the juice... some of them just don't like high wattage (while others beg for it!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread