Need a tried & true Jamaican Rum recipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy New Year everyone.

Anyone can point me to a tried & true "Jamaican Rum" recipe but one that doesn't contain the vaping ingredients most say to avoid, i.e. Acetyl Propionyl, Diketones etc??

Way before I started making my own juice, I had tried an Jamaican Rum flavor at a vape shop that I absolutely loved. Best I could describe it is, it was a "warm" somewhat "heavy" flavor.

I have other mixes that I'm happy with, but everytime I've tried making a Jamaican Rum mix, I simply cannot get it right.

Also anyone know diff between the various Jamaican Rum or Rhum concentrates, TFA, etc?

Would really appreciate picking ya'll brains on this. Thank you and Happy New Year to everyone!

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Hi @OpenUpShop

According to ELR, FA Jamaican Rum seems to be the most popular flavor to mix with. Here’s a screenshot of the most popular recipes using that concentrate. I may have used it once, but I prefer the TFA Kentucky Bourbon for boozy flavors.

4964D509-47F4-4978-B60A-F34899E50B98.png

Hi @OpenUpShop

According to ELR, FA Jamaican Rum seems to be the most popular flavor to mix with. Here’s a screenshot of the most popular recipes using that concentrate. I may have used it once, but I prefer the TFA Kentucky Bourbon for boozy flavors.

View attachment 987865
    Thank you Smacuser,
    Appreciate it.

Love ELR, & I had actually run to same search.
    The names kinda threw me off trying to figure which would be the closest to a basic Jam rum recipe. Also, most seem to have 8 to 11 ingredients making trial & error impractical. So I figured I'd ask here.

Luckily I did come across an old thread here that seems promising:

Ive never really been a drinker, but with vaping the original jam rum I had tried was amazing. What kind of taste is the Kentucky bourbon flavor you spoke of, Solo, or is it a recipe?

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Ive never really been a drinker, but with vaping the original jam rum I had tried was amazing. What kind of taste is the Kentucky bourbon flavor you spoke of, Solo, or is it a recipe?
    Good find.

I originally bought Kentucky Bourbon to make some 5Pawns Castle Long. It's good solo and I'll mix it with different tobaccos. But, to be honest, these days I just mix unflavored. Good to see you back and good luck.

Good find.

I originally bought Kentucky Bourbon to make some 5Pawns Castle Long. It's good solo and I'll mix it with different tobaccos. But, to be honest, these days I just mix unflavored. Good to see you back and good luck.
    Thank you Smacuser, added the tfa Ken bourbon to my order, can't wait to try it out.

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Thank you Smacuser, added the tfa Ken bourbon to my order, can't wait to try it out.
    Are you ordering from Bull City? There might be more recommendations coming. It’s been a while since I bought that. I’ve read there’s a Bourbon Cream (RF) out there that’s supposed to be pretty good, but it does contain AP. The KB I have is TFA.

Last edited:

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    @OpenUpShop

When searching for "bourbon's" you will come across vanilla bourbon flavors in your searches on ECF and elsewhere.

Just an FYI... all the DIY vanilla bourbon flavors have nothing to do with alcohol flavors. Vanilla Bourbon is a type of vanilla. It's a darker and more earthy tasting vanilla versus a Madagascar or any of the other vanillas.

As to bourbon's...

Someone on ELR says using TFA/TPA Kentucky Bourbon 2.5% paired with FLV Bourbon 1% delivers a "true" bourbon flavor. A reviewer on Bull City Flavors says FLV Bourbon is the perfect bourbon flavor.

I would recommend pairing those two with one or two creams.

Creams will add the "heavy" and the bourbon's will add the "warm".

If it was me, I would mix the following...

TFA Kentucky Bourbon 2.5%
    FLV Bourbon 1%
    VTA Vanilla Cream 1%
    FLV Cream 1%

Optionally... adding the following would make for a more complex tasting mix.

INW Shisha Vanilla 1% will add a vanilla note to your bourbon.
    FA Oak Wood 0.5% will give you that "oak barrel aged" effect.

The following bourbons also receive high ratings on ELR.

VTA Aged Bourbon Cream
    WF Bourbon
    VTA Bourbon

VTA = Vape Train Australia. On Bull City Flavors it's just VT.

I'll toss FA Whisky into the fold as it also receives high marks.

FA Jamaican Rum is more of a sweetener versus an actual rum flavor. It is sweet. Pairing it with TFA/TPA Kentucky Bourbon and FLV Bourbon would sweeten the bourbons and add a rum note. Jamaican rums are naturally sweet. FWIW, in Jamaica it is illegal to add sugar to Jamaican rums.

Good luck!!! :greengrin:

Last edited:

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    @OpenUpShop you might want to look through the alcohol flavored DIY recipes in Zazie's blog. There are many. The majority were created by ECF members.

See the "Beverage (alcoholic)" recipes on this page:

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 2, 2018
    Maine, USA
    Here I go again (I've posted this twice before, long before you asked your question, @OpenUpShop): "According to ID10-T, 'TFA, FLV, and VT are the Holy Trinity of bourbon flavors--one for sweetness, one for charred oak, and one to booze it up.' "

@OpenUpShop

When searching for "bourbon's" you will come across vanilla bourbon flavors in your searches on ECF and elsewhere.

Just an FYI... all the DIY vanilla bourbon flavors have nothing to do with alcohol flavors. Vanilla Bourbon is a type of vanilla. It's a darker and more earthy tasting vanilla versus a Madagascar or any of the other vanillas.

As to bourbon's...

Someone on ELR says using TFA/TPA Kentucky Bourbon 2.5% paired with FLV Bourbon 1% delivers a "true" bourbon flavor. A reviewer on Bull City Flavors says FLV Bourbon is the perfect bourbon flavor.

I would recommend pairing those two with one or two creams.

Creams will add the "heavy" and the bourbon's will add the "warm".

If it was me, I would mix the following...

TFA Kentucky Bourbon 2.5%
    FLV Bourbon 1%
    VTA Vanilla Cream 1%
    FLV Cream 1%

Optionally... adding the following would make for a more complex tasting mix.

INW Shisha Vanilla 1% will add a vanilla note to your bourbon.
    FA Oak Wood 0.5% will give you that "oak barrel aged" effect.

The following bourbons also receive high ratings on ELR.

VTA Aged Bourbon Cream
    WF Bourbon
    VTA Bourbon

VTA = Vape Train Australia. On Bull City Flavors it's just VT.

I'll toss FA Whisky into the fold as it also receives high marks.

FA Jamaican Rum is more of a sweetener versus an actual rum flavor. It is sweet. Pairing it with TFA/TPA Kentucky Bourbon and FLV Bourbon would sweeten the bourbons and add a rum note. Jamaican rums are naturally sweet. FWIW, in Jamaica it is illegal to add sugar to Jamaican rums.

Good luck!!! :greengrin:
    Thank you so much ShowMeTwice, that was incredibly informative and informational.

I def wouldn't have known "vanilla bourbons" have nothing to do with any alcohol flavors, if I came across it.

I posted looking for specifically for a Jamaican Rum recipe that didn't contain Acetoin, Diketones, diacetyle, etc etc. as I had tried a "Jamaican rum" bottle from a vape shop, that I absolutely loved.

But smauser's post got me interested in the Bourbon too. Thank you for the recipe, adding to my current order. Can't wait to "checkout" & get this order!

Reactions: smacuser
    Here I go again (I've posted this twice before, long before you asked your question, @OpenUpShop): "According to ID10-T, 'TFA, FLV, and VT are the Holy Trinity of bourbon flavors--one for sweetness, one for charred oak, and one to booze it up.' "
    Thank you Zazie. Going to spend some time reading your blog. Ive learnt to master some recipes, but im a complete noob when it comes liquors.... Thank you for the trinity info, that makes things easier to grasp.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread