Need assistance with choosing..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strahan

Nov 29, 2009
Pennsylvania
Hi. My mother is a heavy smoker; if I pick her up a carton of cigarettes she is usually calling me to go get more in about 2-3 days so I guess I'd place her pack/day at 3-4ish. I literally never see her w/o a cigarette unless she is somewhere she cannot smoke. My nose is very sensitive to the smell of cig smoke and since I'm tired of paying her rent I'm letting her move in with me. This electronic cigarette sounds like just what we need.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for what would be a good product for her, being that she has such a high need for cigs. Something as potent as possible I suppose. She smokes Misty light 120s if that helps.

I'm a newb when it comes to this stuff but I don't want to make the mistake of getting a crappy e-cig and having her put off by it, because then even if I move to a good one she'll have that psychological block of "these things suck" heh. Thanks!

Slea

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2009
Tennessee, USA
I'm not going to recommend a specific supplier, but when buying for relatives go 1)cheap and 2)easy.

Easy because you don't know how much they are going to want to fiddle with e-cigs. From that end, I do think 2 piece e-cigs are a nice starter.

Cheap because you have to accept that your relative may not like the e-cig, and I'd hate to see you spend a lot of money on something that may or may not see any use.

Is she at all interested in e-smoking?

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
I'm not going to recommend a specific supplier, but when buying for relatives go 1)cheap and 2)easy.

Easy because you don't know how much they are going to want to fiddle with e-cigs. From that end, I do think 2 piece e-cigs are a nice starter.

Cheap because you have to accept that your relative may not like the e-cig, and I'd hate to see you spend a lot of money on something that may or may not see any use.

Is she at all interested in e-smoking?

I agree with, Slea, although not necessarily with his two-piece recommendation. The KR808D-1 (the predominant two-piece cartomizer model) certainly is easy, but not that inexpensive, especially for a heavy smoker. She'll go through half a dozen carts (~$2 each) a day.

The cheapest way to test the water today seems to be the 510 (automatic battery) clone from MadVapes: $10. It's described here and reviewed here.

PB230017.jpg

Add in a 10ml bottle of their 24mg* Turkish Blend juice for $3 plus $6 shipping

MVELIQ108.jpg

... and see how she likes it, having spent $19 total. [As most old hands here know, I am not affiliated in any way with madvapes or any other supplier (with the slight exception of NHaler).]

* Definitely get at least 24mg strength for such a heavy smoker.

If she pretty much likes it, order a longer-term device and more/different e-liquid, depending on the specifics of what she likes and doesn't like. See my WWV Illustrated Guide (link in my signature) for an introduction to vaping and to most of the devices and e-liquids.

Last edited:

Strahan

Nov 29, 2009
Pennsylvania
Thanks for the tips!

Money isn't a concern so long as it's not outrageous, I'd rather spend a bit and get something that she'll like and will be good. I really want this to work for her because it would make life a lot easier for both of us.

I'll check out the info and see if I can get her switched over. A dozen or so $2 carts per day is a little stiff I guess, but then again once she moves in she really has no use for the $700/mo she gets in disability (no bills anymore) so I suppose it works out. Maybe she can even use this device to slowly ramp down and quit all together (yea right, I think I'm really fantasizing now lol).

Thanks again :)

oldtechno

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2009
United States of America
JOYE 510 (no box) starter kit from Cignot.com.

I'd recommend three or four of these kits because of the short life of the battery before they need recharging...but at the same time, what if she doesn't like it?

Therefore, get her one, get several sample flavors, and a 15ml bottle of mix juice...and have here give it a run.

If she likes it to to Cignot or Nhaler (I forget the other two suppliers) they deliver usually within three days.

Slea

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2009
Tennessee, USA
DonDaBoom: good points. Honestly, I've always been interested in fiddling with things, so I've never ever priced cartomizer models!

Also, I am a girl-monkey, not a boy-monkey, but understand the confusion as my identity is rather genderless. Perhaps I should put a bow on the monkey?. ;)

I've given a number of people some super-cheap 901s with some prefilled carts, and that seems to work out nicely. I've usually been able to tell pretty quickly if it is going to be any use in investing any more money in getting them supplies.

I did once get a little burned spending some good money on a nice 401 and a JC Welcome to E-Smoking kit that never really got used and learned my lesson there! I should ask my dad for that juice back!

lotus14

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
Columbia SC
The 2-piece cartomizer (kr808, Ace, etc. ) is not quite that expensive since you can refill the carts several times before tossing them. And they're very easy to just top off 4 or 5 drops in the batt end. I'd go for 24mg to 36mg in the beginning for a heavy smoker.

That said, the 510 is generally regarded as producing a thicker, more satisfying vapor, and lots of throat hit. You do have to fiddle more, top off more often, etc. But that's part of what made this work for me. You spend your time vaping instead of idly (mindlessly) lighting another cig.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Thanks for the tips!

Money isn't a concern so long as it's not outrageous, I'd rather spend a bit and get something that she'll like and will be good. I really want this to work for her because it would make life a lot easier for both of us.

I'll check out the info and see if I can get her switched over. A dozen or so $2 carts per day is a little stiff I guess, but then again once she moves in she really has no use for the $700/mo she gets in disability (no bills anymore) so I suppose it works out. Maybe she can even use this device to slowly ramp down and quit all together (yea right, I think I'm really fantasizing now lol).

Thanks again :)

I agree with the 510 recommends if only to have something for a mod later that can get the vapor going.

I'd also note that I have a friend that was a 5 pack a day smoker of Marlboro lights where 24mg nic juice was a bit too much for him. He settled at 16-18mg juice. Still, get some 24mg but if that's too much, you'll need something lighter. Then again, she may need 36mg.

quasimod

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Joplin, MO - USA
DonDaBoom: [...] Also, I am a girl-monkey, not a boy-monkey, but understand the confusion as my identity is rather genderless. Perhaps I should put a bow on the monkey? [...]

It's the fez. Only boy monkeys wear fez's... fezez... fezii... oh hell, only a boy monkey would wear a fez.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
...Also, I am a girl-monkey, not a boy-monkey, but understand the confusion as my identity is rather genderless. Perhaps I should put a bow on the monkey?. ;)...

I am very sorry about that, Slea!:oops: Yeah, sometimes it's tough to tell. And I suppose I made a subconscious sexist assumption that a genderless avatar = male ... except that cat avatars = female.

enadrown

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2009
Salina, Kansas
my mom is a heavy smoker, i decided on the two piece vapor king kit for her, as I knew that she wouldn't want all the fiddling of the 510 and super short battery time. I love my 510, but as far as getting one for my mom? I figure it would be a sure fail.

I can't report how she likes it yet, it is a christmas present BUT I LOVE IT :p

searcher

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2009
Bossier City, La
I think your mother may be a prime candidate to start vaping. People who smoke that much (I was close at a time) usually don't enjoy the habit. I ordered 2 510 starter kits and quit the first day. I loaned one kit to my brother (3 pack a day) and after 2 days he ordered a KR808D-1. He said my 24mg was too strong so he ordered 18mg. He is down to 8 analogs a day last time I checked. You might want to consider something like a nicostick if she takes to vaping (for the battery life).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread