Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Well, anything you can do to stop smoking is vital if you have COPD. Vaping is not without some irritation but it's certainly way better than a cigarette. There have been a few medical studies that showed fewer symptoms in folks with COPD who got off of cigarettes with vaping.

Now is it as safe as not smoking and not vaping? Probably not. But if that's what you need to stop smoking it's a lot better for you. There are a number of people here who's symptoms improved after they switched to vaping. I hope you can find a way to get off the smokes. Vaping is a viable option for you.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I agree, getting off the smokes should be your first objective. Then play it by ear. You may find vaping doesn’t aggravate your condition at all, and you also may find you’re able to cut back on nic, vape less, or quit that altogether as well, after a time.
My doctor said I had mild emphysema a few years before I quit smoking, and warned in ten years I’d be on oxygen. Well here I am ten years later, not on oxygen, and asked him if he thought it was better, worse, or the same. And he said, “I forgot I told you that you had that!” He’s not concerned about it anymore, anyway.

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
you can still vape nicotine...
and yes vaping will be better than smoking
I have asthma and after switching to vaping it got a lot better, my lungs are healthier now than they have ever been in my life

just keep in mind though that pg and vg can sometimes cause irritation, so start out at a 50/50 ratio and see how that works, then you can try higher vg as pg tends to cause issues and in rare causes vg causes people issues

depending on your smoking habits i'd suggest starting at 18 or 24mg

susieqz

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2018
high plains
i thot i had copd.
i was breathing hard after walking across the room.

i guess i don't have it.
in less than 4 months, my breathing has improved.

it is definitely worth trying vaping.
probably, quitting cigs n not vaping either would be best, but if you are like me n can't quit nicotine, vape.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I know it's going to hard for me to quit with no nicotine, trying to find a option to quit. Thank you

I smoked for 32 years. By the time I switched to vaping my lips were turning blue from doing simple housework, and I had to take rest breaks going to the mailbox.

My lungs were in very bad shape.

Within 3 months of vaping after quitting smoking, I could breathe better than I could remember breathing. And I'm not alone in similar stories.

Is not vaping better? Yes. But it beats the hell out of continuing to smoke..

Use lower wattage, lower consumption devices and you'll be fine.

I switched using higher nicotine to get through the withdrawals, and then tapered off nicotine through choice. Now I vape zero nicotine sometimes, to assuage the hand to mouth habit.

I never thought I'd quit smoking, figured I'd die as a smoker. But now I'm addiction free, and breathing like someone who is healthy..

I went through withdrawals, I had to want to quit, but vaping made it easier....I just chain vaped my way through the cravings.

You can do it too..

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I was almost dx with COPD before I started vaping and my docs all LOVE my lungs now.

Do keep in mind that's an anecdote, but I have seen others with COPD (and on meds) improve with vaping OR deteriorate while continuing to smoke.

To me it's pretty simple. If you are worried about the effects of inhaling, you can do a in through the mouth out through the nose thing, your mucosal membranes will absorb plenty of nic. I did not do that. I still got WAY better.

As far as blood pressure, play it by ear. Simbacort is kind of fairly mild as far as side effects, honestly (but I'm not a doc.) However inhaled steroids are nothing like oral steroids.… Those are POSSIBLE side effects.

Buy a blood pressure cuff and start vaping. You may well be pleasantly surprised.

I am off ANY and ALL inhalers, including rescue inhalers. It's pretty nice.

I wish you the best, and I hope things go well for you.

Anna

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I know it's going to hard for me to quit with no nicotine, trying to find a option to quit. Thank you
Do what you think is best for you, we are all different. Might like to read:
Vaping and copd
Dr. Polosa, Italian vapor and tobacco expert, reviews e-cigs in BMC Medicine
I now vape zero nic in RDA's at standard ohms and VG only. The way I gave up nic was to place increasingly smaller and smaller amounts of nic in my e liquid until about 3% freebase. I then, placed nic in only one of several identical bottles of VG. After a while, I just gave up trying to find the flavor with the tasteless nic. I found that trying to be creative while quitting nic to be interesting/challenge which I could win/win at.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
I agree with everyone else who's posted. Not smoking and not vaping would be ideal, but this is the real world and vaping is far better than smoking. Some suggestions:
  • MTL would be better than DL, as you inhale less vapour. I don't know if any of your existing equipment is MTL, but if it isn't and you'd like suggestions, please ask. Oh, and if MTL doesn't suit you, DL is still better than smoking.
  • As @stols001 said, you can even vape without inhaling. You might be able to quit smoking that way, or you might not. If not, it's worth giving it a try again after you've switched successfully.
  • Nicotine doesn't seem to harm the lungs, so go as high as you need to to get off the cigarettes.
  • Experiment with flavours and find some you really like. As a side note, some people (like me) are sensitive to certain flavours. In my case, they make my chest feel tight or heavy. Keep an eye out for different responses to different flavours.
  • I wouldn't usually recommend the Juul, but it's very high nicotine and low vapour. It might be worth a try.
I wish you the best of luck.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Oh and if you just can't do the no inhale (or, can't get enough alkaloids) I might suggest snus. You can order from Sweden but I don't suggest that. There is a Swedish brand sold right here under the name "American General Snus." You can get it at most gas stations. Until you start feeling the effects I warn you much of it tastes like ...., but it seriously keeps me sane at work I have gone about 13 hours without vaping.,..... And I vape a fair amount.

It also got me of a kind of "becoming significant" relapse into smoking from stress, and its harm reduction is equal to or better than ecigs.

I am glad I have it. Even on non work days I usually partake, mainly for the alkaloids other than tobacco in my vape.

Those sneaky suckers are what keep my happy.

I have never, ever, ever gone more than about 2 hours without inhalation until Snus. People knock it because it is "not ecigs" but I think it's equally harm reduction. Etc.

Also I can't be a "known vaper" at work I work in a pedes office, I would be considered the devil.

Even snus is banned in their policy but I'm not sure anyone KNOWS what that is, other than crazy HR lady.

Anna

Reactions: greek mule

darkrose

Oct 23, 2014
East Ridge, TN
I only mtl. If I try to do. My lungs go crazy. Causes so much coughing I cant breath. And I think maybe I cant go to high in the nicotine department cause I can cough then to. But I'm going to work on it.
21680551, member: 127418"]I agree with everyone else who's posted. Not smoking and not vaping would be ideal, but this is the real world and vaping is far better than smoking. Some suggestions:
  • MTL would be better than DL, as you inhale less vapour. I don't know if any of your existing equipment is MTL, but if it isn't and you'd like suggestions, please ask. Oh, and if MTL doesn't suit you, DL is still better than smoking.
  • As @stols001 said, you can even vape without inhaling. You might be able to quit smoking that way, or you might not. If not, it's worth giving it a try again after you've switched successfully.
  • Nicotine doesn't seem to harm the lungs, so go as high as you need to to get off the cigarettes.
  • Experiment with flavours and find some you really like. As a side note, some people (like me) are sensitive to certain flavours. In my case, they make my chest feel tight or heavy. Keep an eye out for different responses to different flavours.
  • I wouldn't usually recommend the Juul, but it's very high nicotine and low vapour. It might be worth a try.
I wish you the best of luck.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: stols001

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
I know when I first started vaping I couldn't even do mtl... I would hold the vape in my mouth then exhale it, my asthma was entirely too bad...that's the good thing about vaping, you don't have to take the vape into your lungs to get the nicotine, it will be absorbed in the mouth.
overtime I was able to mtl and now I can do dl, though I can't do too many dl in a row else I'll start coughing but as time goes on I'm able to do more and more....

Reactions: stols001

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I only mtl. If I try to do. My lungs go crazy. Causes so much coughing I cant breath. And I think maybe I cant go to high in the nicotine department cause I can cough then to. But I'm going to work on it.
21680551, member: 127418"]I agree with everyone else who's posted. Not smoking and not vaping would be ideal, but this is the real world and vaping is far better than smoking. Some suggestions:
I wish you the best of luck.

Nicotine salts are PH balanced nicotine that is easy on your throat.

You should use salt ejuice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread