Need Help Defining Terms and Quantities

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
You need to post on the DIY forum (or ask to have this moved... happens all the time, maybe this will help)
@classwife
The Unflavored "base" is 3mg/ml. What brand of flavor concentrate are you wanting to use? They are all different as to how much you use... could be anything from 1% to 10% (or even more) You really need to explain better what you are trying to do.

• Agree
Reactions: Mordacai

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Nic is given as a percent, so your cited 3 mg is 3 mg/ml. So for example a 30 ml bottle of 3 mg/ml nic would have 90 mg of nic, total. Since it's a percent, bottle size doesn't matter.

Most of us get our bulk nic at 100 mg/ml (some go higher), then cut it down with PG and VG to the final strength and ratio desired.

Reactions: NCC

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Nic is given as a percent, so your cited 3 mg is 3 mg/ml. So for example a 30 ml bottle of 3 mg/ml nic would have 90 mg of nic, total. Since it's a percent, bottle size doesn't matter.

Most of us get our bulk nic at 100 mg/ml (some go higher), then cut it down with PG and VG to the final strength and ratio desired.
Where do you see 3%?

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Moved this to DIY E-Liquid

If a juice is listed as 3mg nicotine regardless of size of container, what size container are we talking about?

This doesn't makes any sense.

3mg nic is a measurement of nic to ml - regardless of the size of the bottle.

A 30ml bottle of 3mg e-liquid will have 90mg of nic
A 100ml bottle of 3mg e-liquid will have 300mg of nic.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I’m looking at Liquid Nicotine Wholesalers out of Phoenix. My normal store bought juice 79/21 and 0.2% (2mg/ml) nic level. As I said menthol is my only flavor. I guess I answered my question about mg/ml. My only remaining question would be adding the menthol flavor
You'll have to decide on what brand menthol before determining what percent to add. It would serve you well to do small 5-10ml test mixes before mixing up an entire liter.

• Informative
Reactions: NCC

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Can't help on the menthol % you need, since I don't use it. But start low, say 1 or 2%, or maybe even 0.5%. Easy to add more, hard to subtract

^^^^^ this!

I don't know about menthol, but with peppermint 2.25% was WAAAAAAAY too much. Such that it tasted and smelled like aftershave or shaving cream. This was for a straight peppermint juice, no other flavors.

I would take the advice above and start at 0.5% or maybe even lower. I have not experimented with peppermint again after that so I can't tell you what will end up being a good % for my peppermint yet. But I'm starting with 0.5% next time. Brand I used was TFA, btw.

classwife

Admin
    Admin
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 9, 2010
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    0.2% (2mg/ml) nic level.
    I guess I answered my question about mg/ml.

No, you are talking about 2 different nic percentages here - see below.

0.2% is 20mg/ml, not 2 mg/ml.

This ^

Please learn more before you start messing with DIY.

Edit to add...
    Sorry...
    I freaking hate math... :lol:
    Thousands, hundreds, tens (decimal) tenths, hundredths, thousandths

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Back to your initial questions...

How much flavor for a liter of juice? I menthol only.

Flavor percentages aren't something most (all?) manufacturers divulge, otherwise they would be giving away their recipe and therefore they'd be out of business. No restaurant is going to give out the recipe for their dishes, same for eliquid manufacturers. Trade secret.

I'm thinking of buying a bit of bulk juice for stock.
    If a juice is listed as 3mg nicotine regardless of size of container, what size container are we talking about?

Whatever size you buy. Container size has no bearing on the strength of the nicotine. 3mg is 3mg is 3mg. That is what you'll get, 3mg (per ml) strength.

A 1 liter (aka 1,000ml) bottle of 3mg (aka 3mg/ml) nic base has 3,000mg of nic in the whole bottle. 1000*3=3000

A 100ml bottle of 3mg (aka 3mg/ml) nic base has 300mg of nic in the whole bottle.

A 50ml bottle of 3mg (aka 3mg/ml) nic base has 150mg of nic in the whole bottle.

A 30ml bottle of 3mg (aka 3mg/ml) nic base has 90mg of nic in the whole bottle.

A 15ml bottle of 3mg (aka 3mg/ml) nic base has 45mg of nic in the whole bottle.

A 10ml bottle of 3mg (aka 3mg/ml) nic base has 30mg of nic in the whole bottle.

A 5ml bottle of 3mg (aka 3mg/ml) nic base has 15mg of nic in the whole bottle.

Therefore, if you vape 12ml of 3mg (aka 3mg/ml) strength eliquid per day, you consume 36mg of nicotine per day.

I’m looking at Liquid Nicotine Wholesalers out of Phoenix. My normal store bought juice 79/21 and 0.2% (2mg/ml) nic level. As I said menthol is my only flavor. I guess I answered my question about mg/ml. My only remaining question would be adding the menthol flavor

That's what DIY eliquid calculators are for...

DIY E-liquid | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

There are many others, both online and client-side programs/apps.

What DIY calcs can't help you with is how much flavor you need to get the perfect taste. That's something for you to figure out. Taste is subjective and there are many other factors (like wattage you vape at, etc) that determine what it will taste like.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread