Need help finding a decent drill...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Sean

Feb 28, 2016
Hello, hope someone can point me in the right direction.
Looking for a new drill, and ideally it be around $30 or less, but the more I look it seems like the nice ones are around $50 or more!
I'm coming from using a really old 6v 2 speed drill, so anything will be a step up I'm sure! Definitely need it to be cordless, nice variable speed obviously, and if possible also sets at a right angle.
If anyone has any suggestions as to what (brands, features, keywords, specs, places to buy, etc.) that I should be searching for, or even specific models, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions!
Thanks in advance!

PS: Just wanted to add this as a foot note... I have issues with my hands. Holding down the trigger and keeping pressure on the drill, gets really difficult and painful sometimes. I don't know if there are certain drills with better triggers, or maybe even a trigger lock would help, but I'm sure that would be on the more expensive side. Because of difficulty I was having, I was concidering Daedalus Kit, but I was really only interested in the drill box, and I would still have to get batteries and a charger (yes, I still haven't gotten my first 18650 mod yet, don't judge me, lol.) So it would be like a $70 investment on something that I'm not even so certain about. Plus I'm poor and have to budget, and I'm going to need a drill for a household task sooner or later anyway!

Mr.Sean

Feb 28, 2016
Why do you think you need a drill if you don't even have a mod.....

You do know you don't need a drill to build coils... only to make certain kinds of fancy wire. Which a newbie shouldn't be making anyway.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Yes, but I'm not a newbie, been vaping and building coils for years!
And fused claptons & the like are far superior to round-wire builds, especially because they last like 3x as long. Additionally, of course I have a mod, it just has an internal lipo, not replaceable 18650's
Hope that clarifies..? ☺

Last edited:

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
I bought a couple of these. Two reasons, a spare chuck for my Daedalus coil builder, second for my cordless drill. Took two months to receive but they did arrive from this seller. Ordered two in December and the seller pleaded with me to wait for it after a dispute, three months later everything disappeared off Ebay. Foolish I know but for $4 each I felt it was worth the risk to try again. CHEERS!

1/4" Keyless Chuck Conversion Hex Shank Adapter Drill Bit Quick Change Driver | eBay

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Yes, but I'm not a newbie, been vaping and building coils for years!
And fused claptons and the like are far superior to round-wire builds, especially because they last like 3x as long. Additionally, of course I have a mod, it just has an internal lipo, not replaceable 18650's
Hope that clarifies..? [emoji5]
Ok... I miss understood....

Still my 20 dollar HF drill is 5 years old work fine...... for twisting wires and the occasional household usage.... yes a cheap drill isn't the drill I would use to remodel my house or if I needed one for work. but for building coils you just need control able speed and a good chuck. Battery operated is more convenient. But they suck if you don't use them often.. i have killed more tool batteries by storing them than using them. Around the house I like a cord. I'm happy using a vise or clamp to hold it if needed.
But still, claptons are not superior nor do they last longer than other coils.... at least for me...... too much juice flavor.... need too much power to produce a decent vape...... use too much juice.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Reactions: puffon

Mr.Sean

Feb 28, 2016
I bought a couple of these. Two reasons, a spare chuck for my Daedalus coil builder, second for my cordless drill. Took two months to receive but they did arrive from this seller. Ordered two in December and the seller pleaded with me to wait for it after a dispute, three months later everything disappeared off Ebay. Foolish I know but for $4 each I felt it was worth the risk to try again. CHEERS!

1/4" Keyless Chuck Conversion Hex Shank Adapter Drill Bit Quick Change Driver | eBay

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to remember that!
How do like the Daedalus compared to a regular drill? I've heard people say that it's too slow, and that the chuck head is too small, and it's difficult to get it to hold the wire or something..?
I was using a 6v drill before which sometimes I wish was faster, but it was a decent enough pace I guess. Can't imagine the Daedalus top speed would be any less. Plus it seems like it's slowest speed would be good for building staggered wire, and I really want to try my hand at building some staggered fused claptons!
I picked up a pair at VCCPA16, and absolutely loved them! I'm not a fan of contact coils because I think juice struggles to reach the outer surface of coils and the quickly start to blacken from the center out. That's why I always space my wraps just a little bit. They last longer, and seem to perform better as well. However the fused staggered coils naturally have openings in-between the wraps/claptoning, so you can wrap them as contact coils, and the surface of them always looks wet... Pain in the ... to get all the strands of cotton out of the when you rewick though!

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Honestly, if your on a budget, start looking for good drills at swap meets and estate auctions and other such places.

Power tools - the really good ones - last forever, and at these types of places, you can always try them out to see if they will suit your hands, as far as trigger and weight.

You can come across some really excellent prices and deals, if you are patient and look in the right places.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr.Sean

Mr.Sean

Feb 28, 2016
Honestly, if your on a budget, start looking for good drills at swap meets and estate auctions - or - the odd one that fell off the back of a truck.

Power tools - the really good ones - last forever, and at these types of places, you can always try them out to see if they will suit your hands, as far as trigger and weight.

You can come across some really excellent prices and deals, if you are patient and look in the right places.

Yeah, good point... At first I just wanted to just hurry up and buy the cheapest drill that I could find as fast as I could, but now I'm definitely going to shop around some more and try to get the most of my money. Besides, I picked up some of those GM coils from the Namberjuice site, because they're pretty cheap & free shipping, and was about the only place that had 2.5mm coils. I haven't installed them yet but they look really nice, and I would be fine with buying another set, so that gives me time.

Funny that you should mention "one that fell of the back of a truck"... I found what looks like a nice $40 Black & Decker 20V drill on eBay, that sets at a perfect 90° angle. However, looks like there is no box and in the description it says that "Customer returned in excellent condition like brand new. Battery and charger that comes with this drill is perfect condition." Yet they had 31 of them for sale..?
Seems a little odd

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to remember that!
How do like the Daedalus compared to a regular drill? I've heard people say that it's too slow, and that the chuck head is too small, and it's difficult to get it to hold the wire or something..?
I was using a 6v drill before which sometimes I wish was faster, but it was a decent enough pace I guess. Can't imagine the Daedalus top speed would be any less. Plus it seems like it's slowest speed would be good for building staggered wire, and I really want to try my hand at building some staggered fused claptons!
I picked up a pair at VCCPA16, and absolutely loved them! I'm not a fan of contact coils because I think juice struggles to reach the outer surface of coils and the quickly start to blacken from the center out. That's why I always space my wraps just a little bit. They last longer, and seem to perform better as well. However the fused staggered coils naturally have openings in-between the wraps/claptoning, so you can wrap them as contact coils, and the surface of them always looks wet... Pain in the ... to get all the strands of cotton out of the when you rewick though!
I love the Daedalus. I mainly just use the drill. I had a c-clamp with swivels but now I have two. Set the speed and all I have to worry about is tension. Drill runs automatically when you set speed. Battery life is pretty unbelievable. Drill small enough it just sits on my build table. I used to never want to get my drill out just to straiten wire for my wifes Melo3 animizers but now I straiten every piece of wire because it is handy. I have never had trouble with chuck holding wire. Single stand I just double it over and drill holds it fine. Slow is good as it makes no difference to me as I am not selling coils. I got my electric drill if I need speed. Got my Daedalus from Canvape for $49.95. CHEERS!

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Yeah, good point... At first I just wanted to just hurry up and buy the cheapest drill that I could find as fast as I could, but now I'm definitely going to shop around some more and try to get the most of my money. Besides, I picked up some of those GM coils from the Namberjuice site, because they're pretty cheap & free shipping, and was about the only place that had 2.5mm coils. I haven't installed them yet but they look really nice, and I would be fine with buying another set, so that gives me time.

Funny that you should mention "one that fell of the back of a truck"... I found what looks like a nice $40 Black & Decker 20V drill on eBay, that sets at a perfect 90° angle. However, looks like there is no box and in the description it says that "Customer returned in excellent condition like brand new. Battery and charger that comes with this drill is perfect condition." Yet they had 31 of them for sale..?
Seems a little odd

I've been looking for a good leather swivel office chair fora good price.. I'm patient I can wait years for the right piece at the right price. Well coming home from the doctors the other day, someone had a place set up by the road side selling odds and ends..

They had a brand new (in the box) leather swivel office chair, they had a grill, a fryer, some tools.. every single thing was brand new in boxes.. supposedly all this stuff was just sitting in their garage (lol..) until they decided they needed to make room by cleaning out their garage..

Yeah.. I certainly can't prove its a lie.. but it looked more like a department store truck ran into some trouble.. hahaha.. this was what made me think of that..

Last edited:

Mr.Sean

Feb 28, 2016
Thought I'd update this post because I'm 90% positive what drill I'm going to get now...
Black & Decker LDX220C
20-Volt Max Lithium-Ion Cordless Drill/Driver

I found one that's only $20 more than the cheapo Harbor Freight one (including shipping)
It may be a display or customer return or something, but the seller seems reputable and makes sure that it's fully functional. It's probably only around $12 less than a brand new one at Home Depot, but that'd be like $5 in gas to make the trip to pick one up, lol.
So just gonna hope I don't have some freak luck and get a lemon!

Attachments

• s-l400 (1).jpg
    s-l400 (1).jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: Opinionated

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Thought I'd update this post because I'm 90% positive what drill I'm going to get now...
Black & Decker LDX220C
20-Volt Max Lithium-Ion Cordless Drill/Driver

I found one that's only $20 more than the cheapo Harbor Freight one (including shipping)
It may be a display or customer return or something, but the seller seems reputable and makes sure that it's fully functional. It's probably only around $12 less than a brand new one at Home Depot, but that'd be like $5 in gas to make the trip to pick one up, lol.
So just gonna hope I don't have some freak luck and get a lemon!

Oh that's nice! Good luck to you.. I'm sure you'll get it in as advertised shape, especially if it's a reputable seller. I don't know where you bought that, but just know, if you pay through PayPal, or buy through eBay or Amazon, then if your purchase is a lemon you have some recourse..

Reactions: Mr.Sean

Mr.Sean

Feb 28, 2016
Oh that's nice! Good luck to you.. I'm sure you'll get it in as advertised shape, especially if it's a reputable seller. I don't know where you bought that, but just know, if you pay through PayPal, or buy through eBay or Amazon, then if your purchase is a lemon you have some recourse..

Yes, and the seller offers a 30 day return policy, so that does give me some piece of mind as well. Found it on eBay BTW.

Reactions: Opinionated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread