Need help finding an APV that works with Nautilus tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andtyler2

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hi, folks. I've been vaping since 2009 and certainly went through years of trying new devices (Anybody remember the Screwdriver?) But I stopped keeping up with new products and technology once I found a set-up that worked for me.
I use an original Aspire Nautilus 5ml tank with BVC 1.8 or 1.6 coils and flavorless liquid that I mix myself. I've been powering the tank with variable voltage batteries such as the Spinner 2 or, more recently, the Kangor Evod VV 1600 mah. Both the tanks and those batteries have become increasingly harder to find.
Have to say, after the Screwdriver, I was never interested in getting another device with an external battery. But as we all prepare for the (senseless) demise of the on-line vaping industry, I've been trying to quickly learn about regulated mods. I need something safe and reliable that will take an external rechargeable 18650 battery and will also fit my Nautilus tank.
I know the technology has advanced light years. Frankly, all the info out there is pretty overwhelming.
I don't need a lot of power or tons of vapor. I tend to stay between 3.2-3.4 volts with the airflow on the tank wide open. I'm most concerned about quality since buying mistakes will soon be harder to remedy. (Some of the worst products I've purchased-- with the highest price tags-- were from local vape shops.)
Any suggestions for an APV from folks who also use the larger Aspire tank?
Thanks.
20210219_155543-3.jpg

Reactions: YoursTruli

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Have to say, after the Screwdriver, I was never interested in getting another device with an external battery.

That was a long time ago and things are different today. Your best bet is a box mod with replaceable 18650 battery and an external charger.

asharru

Feb 7, 2015
    pgh, pa
    $37.99 (Free Shipping) Authentic GeekVape Aegis Solo 100W TC VW APV Box Mod (Aegis Solo, Red Blue) at m.FastTech.com

I know it's more power than you need, but I suggest it for a few reasons. It's built like a tank, it uses a removable 18650, and geekvape is usually pretty good about having parts available if things break(screens, battery doors, buttons, etc). The form factor is smaller than their aegis legend, which I use, love, and highly recommend. While the solo is still bigger than an ego/spinner type device, it is still closer to what you're use to, and I think your tank would look good on it.

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    Hi, folks. I've been vaping since 2009 and certainly went through years of trying new devices (Anybody remember the Screwdriver?) But I stopped keeping up with new products and technology once I found a set-up that worked for me.
    I use an original Aspire Nautilus 5ml tank with BVC 1.8 or 1.6 coils and flavorless liquid that I mix myself. I've been powering the tank with variable voltage batteries such as the Spinner 2 or, more recently, the Kangor Evod VV 1600 mah. Both the tanks and those batteries have become increasingly harder to find.
    Have to say, after the Screwdriver, I was never interested in getting another device with an external battery. But as we all prepare for the (senseless) demise of the on-line vaping industry, I've been trying to quickly learn about regulated mods. I need something safe and reliable that will take an external rechargeable 18650 battery and will also fit my Nautilus tank.
    I know the technology has advanced light years. Frankly, all the info out there is pretty overwhelming.
    I don't need a lot of power or tons of vapor. I tend to stay between 3.2-3.4 volts with the airflow on the tank wide open. I'm most concerned about quality since buying mistakes will soon be harder to remedy. (Some of the worst products I've purchased-- with the highest price tags-- were from local vape shops.)
    Any suggestions for an APV from folks who also use the larger Aspire tank?
    Thanks.
    View attachment 930847

Hi. I too have been vaping since 2009, and I recall the Screwdriver. Remember the Puresmoker prodigy? That was my first major vape. As far as a mod, there a plenty of good single battery 18650 mods out there. Two come my mind. I have in my armageddon stash the Asmodus Colossal. I have not actually vaped on it, but Asmodus usually puts out a good product. The second is the Geekvape Aegis Solo. Again, I haven't vaped on this. I'm a dual battery mod user. There are a lot of people that have used the solo and like it. It is waterproof, shockproof, and dustproof. I'm sure there are some other mods that people can recommend too. These are the two that come to my mind.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Want something small and light? Here's what you need.

Buy as many of these kits as you can afford. The Swag II kit. The tank will be useless to you, oh well, sell them on the ECF classifieds. The mod is tiny, and very very light. It has voltage mode and you can vape a very low voltages, like your ego batteries.
    Vaporesso Swag 2 Mod Kit

Then go to 18650 battery store and get the following...
    Buy at least 2 of these Samsung 30Q batteries (the mod only takes one but you should have at least 2 so you can vape one while one is charging. Plus you will get a plastic case when you buy 2+)
    Samsung 30Q 18650 3000mAh 15A Battery | INR18650-30Q

And this charger...
    Efest LUC V2 2 Bay LCD Battery Charger - 18650 Battery Store

If you decide to purchase this mod, contact me via PM after you receive it and I will tell you how to get your mod(s) set up for you nautilus.

Good luck.

PS: if you are into rebuilding, I can tell you how to turn the tank that comes with that mod into a rebuildable tank that is suitable for MTL vaping, when you contact me for instruction on how to set up the Swag II.

Last edited:

Andtyler2

ECF Veteran
    Oct 16, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Howdy stranger,
    What is your budget and preferred form factor?

VV/VW APV Discussion
    listing side by side mods
    Hi, back. :) (Many years since I visited the forum . . . )
    Price point? Well, you know what kind of year it has been for many, including me. I would say if you have specific suggestions that fit the Nautilus 5ml tank, I'll check them out from lower to higher $. I can't break the bank for some of these mods I see for 2 or 3 hundred bucks. But at one point, long ago, I was considering one of the superT devices, which were not cheap. (I still use David's beautiful T tips). I checked out your side by side link but came up empty. (Not/No longer available?)
    Not sure about a form factor. Nothing huge (meaning, much bigger than my current set up) Never used a box but I could get used to one. If you can link me to some things, I'll check them out.
    Thanks for the reply.

Cheers
    I

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Aspire CF mod is not regulated output. So unlike your VV ego, it will decrease in vapor production as your battery depletes as you vape, just like a mech mod (except it's not a mech mod and does have protections).
    Something to keep in mind

If you want a consistent vape as your battery depletes, go with a regulated output mod, like the above box mods. Can't go wrong.

Last edited:

Falconeer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2015
    Dunoon, West of Scotland.
    For most of my vaping life I've been a fanboy and user of Nautilus Minis ( Minis simply because I live in TPD Territory ) - I've now switched to Innokin Zenith and Zlides and my old faithful iSticks have finally died, so what am I using now?

Lost Vape Grus - will take the biggest attie you can find, is simple to set up and beautifuly built. My own alternative to a Grus is Innokin's new Kroma.

Neither is dead light - but you could take either if you were going out dressed as they fit well into a jacket breast pocket.

Pic of today's Grus attached...

3.jpg

Last edited:

Andtyler2

ECF Veteran
    Oct 16, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I want to thank all the members who took the time to help me out and provide really helpful suggestions here. As the dreaded end of online sales approached, I was kicking myself for not addressing this sooner. I really needed the advice of more knowledgeable mod users and you folks really came through for me.
    I've ordered an Aegis Solo and a Swag 2, batteries, and a charger.
    I'll let you know how it works out.

Andtyler2

ECF Veteran
    Oct 16, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Wow. Great pics!
    It's really helpful to actually see my favorite tank attached.
    Thanks for taking the time to do that. I ended up ordering both. And while I'm peeved to no end-- as we all are-- about having to lay out significant 'stock up' cash (when I'd been happily vaping for so many years for pennies a day), I'm also relieved to have found a possible solution.
    I'll get back to you about set up and other things you mentioned when the stuff arrives.
    Thanks again.

Swag 2 with 5ML nautilus tank
    MXzX0Fa.jpg

Aegis Solo with 5ML nautilus tank
    R3LfbbE.jpg

Reactions: Falconeer

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Wow. Great pics!
    It's really helpful to actually see my favorite tank attached.
    Thanks for taking the time to do that. I ended up ordering both. And while I'm peeved to no end-- as we all are-- about having to lay out significant 'stock up' cash (when I'd been happily vaping for so many years for pennies a day), I'm also relieved to have found a possible solution.
    I'll get back to you about set up and other things you mentioned when the stuff arrives.
    Thanks again.

No problem. I wanted you to see not only what the mods looked like with your tank on top, but also how small/large the mods were in relation to the tank.

Also, I don't know if you are able to rebuild or if you are willing to give it a go someday down the line, but if you bought that Swag 2 mod as a kit, it came with the NRG PE tank. That tank can be turned into a rebuildable single-coil tank with the Ijoy EXO-S RBA section still available on Amazon. If you turn the airflow of the NRG PE tank down to a hair and put an MTL drip tip on it, it's an acceptable MTL vape. I just checked and the Nautilus drip tip fits the NRG PE tank (Aspire drip tips don't always fit other tanks as they as slightly bigger than true 510).

Also last thing about the Swag 2 mod, it can be operated in both VW and VV mode. So if you prefer vaping in VV mode because that's what your familiar with, just switch it to VV mode. If you need help switching to VV mode, just PM me or reply here.

Good luck and I hope you're all set with coil heads and nicotine base, too.

Last edited:

NCC

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2010
    Fla Panhandle, USA
    Remember the Screwdriver? Ha, still got mine, along with a box full of other devices...some of which got used very little.
    Fellow Nautilus user here, and I've been reading the recommendations made for you with interest, so thanks for asking.
    Although, I stocked up on a boat load of mods in the past 18-months or so. Most bought when they were in the end days of their production and for a greatly reduced price. I'd have a few to recommend but you're unlikely to find them other than in pre-owned.
    I will make one recommendation for you! Since you like the Nautilus, buy all the coils your budget can handle. Since a handful of popular Aspire tanks use the same coils they'll probably remain current for some time. But, I don't know how the mailing situation will affect their availability. I just took inventory yesterday and found I've got 179 across the spectrum of available resistances. That doesn't include the ones included in my spare, unopened, Nautilus boxes. I got them at a closeout somewhere and I've resisted the urge to buy more at $11+ per box. Meh, 200 will last a good while, I reckon. But, it's only about 18 for each of my tanks.

If you also plan to continue using the Nautilus, as I do, I'd recommend you try the different coils available from 0.4 through 1.8Ω. Also, if you haven't already, try the stainless steel replacement tank:
    Nautilus Replacement Tank - SS
    They're only $3.99 here, and they look to have 22 remaining in stock.

Vape on!

Reactions: Andtyler2

Andtyler2

ECF Veteran
    Oct 16, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Remember the Screwdriver? Ha, still got mine, along with a box full of other devices...some of which got used very little.
    Fellow Nautilus user here, and I've been reading the recommendations made for you with interest, so thanks for asking.
    Although, I stocked up on a boat load of mods in the past 18-months or so. Most bought when they were in the end days of their production and for a greatly reduced price. I'd have a few to recommend but you're unlikely to find them other than in pre-owned.
    I will make one recommendation for you! Since you like the Nautilus, buy all the coils your budget can handle. Since a handful of popular Aspire tanks use the same coils they'll probably remain current for some time. But, I don't know how the mailing situation will affect their availability. I just took inventory yesterday and found I've got 179 across the spectrum of available resistances. That doesn't include the ones included in my spare, unopened, Nautilus boxes. I got them at a closeout somewhere and I've resisted the urge to buy more at $11+ per box. Meh, 200 will last a good while, I reckon. But, it's only about 18 for each of my tanks.

If you also plan to continue using the Nautilus, as I do, I'd recommend you try the different coils available from 0.4 through 1.8Ω. Also, if you haven't already, try the stainless steel replacement tank:
    Nautilus Replacement Tank - SS
    They're only $3.99 here, and they look to have 22 remaining in stock.

Vape on!
    Thanks, NCC.
    I do have a stash of coils. Not tons but they should last a few years if they aren't duds. I've found that vaping flavorless liquid (at lower voltages) tends to increase the life of coils. Flavors, though I loved them, eventually gummed up the works. Flavored liquid is also harder on my lungs (as is VG). I quit smoking to give my lungs a break so I avoid both. I haven't tried the sub ohm coils. I guess I'm sort of an anomaly among vapers because I've never been a cloud chaser. (I will lose any smoke-ring contest. But I can stealth vape more often because of it.:))
    Thanks for the input.

• Agree
    Reactions: NCC

Andtyler2

ECF Veteran
    Oct 16, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    For most of my vaping life I've been a fanboy and user of Nautilus Minis ( Minis simply because I live in TPD Territory ) - I've now switched to Innokin Zenith and Zlides and my old faithful iSticks have finally died, so what am I using now?

Lost Vape Grus - will take the biggest attie you can find, is simple to set up and beautifuly built. My own alternative to a Grus is Innokin's new Kroma.

Neither is dead light - but you could take either if you were going out dressed as they fit well into a jacket breast pocket.

Pic of today's Grus attached...

View attachment 931047
    Wow. That is a monster!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread