Need help quitting smoking real cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

wutermelon

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2011
Las vegas
I've been smoking the e cig for about 2 monthes now but i still crave real cigarettes and I heard that some of you quit smoking real cigarettes from the ecig cig. My question is how do you guys do it? I know the e cig doesnt actually help you fully quit to some people but i LOVE smoking so i switch to the e cig but still crave real cigarettes at times.

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
If you smoked for a long time (40yrs. for me), we may always have the cravings.
Picking up the e-cig instead of a smoke every time is a better choice.
I use a tobacco flavour when I crave a real cig.
Other flavs. when I don't.

May I ask what hardware you are using and if the juice has nicotine in it?
(Just curious)

Cheers Hitme:vapor::vapor:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
It makes a big difference what model you are using and what nicotine level. Remember:

Rule of Thumb: generally, the more it looks like the real thing, the worse the performance.

I would at least have a model such as the E-Power 510, Kgo or Riva 510. Better yet, the 5 volt GLV2. Better battery models provide warmer vapor and less hassle. And manual batteries out perform auto batteries and are safer.

The next thing to do is up your nicotine level. Most new people need around 24mg nicotine strength to transition to vaping. Many start out at 36mg strength at first and then taper down some.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
I've been smoking the e cig for about 2 monthes now but i still crave real cigarettes and I heard that some of you quit smoking real cigarettes from the ecig cig. My question is how do you guys do it? I know the e cig doesnt actually help you fully quit to some people but i LOVE smoking so i switch to the e cig but still crave real cigarettes at times.

I think for me (can't speak for anyone else) the key was having a high enough nicotine juice and a decent pv that I didn't need to fiddle with and one that I could use low resistance cartomizers on.

You can use low resistance cartomizers with the bigger battery models like an e-power or an ego type pv. You can pick up a fairly inexpensive ego type pv for $30-$40, and I'd get low resistance (2.0), and higher nicotine juice.

If that doesn't work, I'd look into what wv2win recommended, or WTA like Mooreted suggested.

Sometimes it's just a slower process for some. I didn't stop smoking immediatey, I didn't really try to. As time went on I really just liked vaping better.

Good luck and hang in there!

rodmen

Feb 17, 2012
New York
May be you don't know how to smoke e-cigs. if you do it the right way you'll feel like you're smoking a real cigarette but enjoying it much more.
When you drag you're e-cig do it slowly for about 8 seconds then inhale it you'll feel the throat hit. that's what you're missing.
Good luck.

If you have to take 10 seconds drags do it. the things is to have plenty of vapor in your mouth to get enough nicotine for a great throat hit, that's why I can't vape no more than 14 mg because if I do 16mg it scratches my throat, and 11 mg is like smoking ultra lights cigs.
What I do is. I put half 16mg and half 11 mg in my Ego tank to get about 13 or 14 mg.

Last edited:

elfstone

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2012
OH
My :2c::

Apart from the chemical "addiction" there are a lot of psychological / situational triggers. For me, for instance, such would be finishing a meal, having a dead time at work, finishing a TV show episode, driving, etc. You need to identify yours and make sure you have you PV ready and start vaping as soon as the triggering event happens, preferably before the craving hits. You won't be able to avoid all cravings, but this could help.

I was lucky enough to be able to switch over without a "transition" period, but many users say they had longer time of vaping and still lighting up here and there. It is important to not look at those cigarettes as failures, and keep vaping trying to maintain the vape as your main fix.

Whenever you can, do not stop vaping until you are satisfied. Nicotine is absorbed more slowly from vapor, and you may need longer "sessions".

Find your nicotine concentration need (the miligrams listed), and don't try to taper it off too quickly.

There's a saying around here, I don't know who coined it, "trust the vape". It will help you with the cravings, you just need to keep it up. Don't give it up - there are many ways to increase the "kick". I don't know your setup, but you may need a midsize or large battery device, and play with the resistance of the cartomizer / atomizer. Maybe consider variable voltage, or a 5-6V mod or passthru.

It's vital that you explore the flavors to figure out what you can vape with pleasure for longer times. You may want to use such an "all day vape" at lower nicotine strength, and have a "rescue vape" with higher nicotine for particularly bad cravings.

Most importantly, every cigarette you don't smoke counts. Don't become frustrated if you do light some up for a while.

JmeMcG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2012
Clackamas, Oregon

As far as it has gone for me in 2.5 weeks, PAD+ smoker for 25+ years:

#1: I TRULY decided it was time to REALLY quit. That is really important I believe (IMO). I have committed to quitting smoking.
#2: I am loving the vaping! In my case I feel so much less anxiety and have more freedom to vape than I ever had smoking.
#3: I have had some very strong cravings for the real deal (this has gone away more and more since being analog free) at times. But I refer back to my #1. Although the craving still hits at times ( I LOVE my micro brews!! And there ain't nothing like that craving for a cig when drinking... trust me, I know) I just vape like a crazy person, or up the nic a little when I'm really feeling like wanting a real cig.

I just won't even let myself slip even a little this time, but that is just me. I know I am that type of person who has the mentality that if I "just have a drag" every once in a while, that will lead to "I only smoked 1 or 2 or....today". The number would go up day by day and I don't want that for myself anymore. Nothing agaist those that have cut back tremendously, but still smoke when they want to, I'm just saying for me NOT smoking at all is really important to me.

So, I can say I can relate to your issue. It's not easy and it's a choice you have to make to not smoke, for the most part I believe. All I know is, this is by FAR the easiest way to quit smoking that I have ever tried in the past.

It's not easy, friend, and I wouldn't beat yourself up over smoking when you really want to. I can't imagine there is a person here that would condemn you for smoking... Just remember, we are all here because we are/were smokers. You will have as much support here as you want. Nobody is gonna judge you. Just relax and enjoy the ride! It will all gel the way you want when the time is right for you.

jnnfrlsw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2009
East Central Ind
I think the key is having a good set up. Nothing more frustrating than wanting to make the switch and your equipment not working as claimed. What is it about smoking that you think youre missing that your vaping is not providing right now? If its the cravings, try adjusting your nic level, get a better PV and also look at finding a different juice. Maybe if your vaping tobacco flavors its causing you to crave the cigs more???? Try a nontob flavor. Just throwing out ideas here. Bottom line is your smoking less then you were so you are still smoking less. just hang in there.

Pyster

Dec 10, 2011
Evanston, IL
I didn't exactly to commit to quitting cigs when I started vaping, but rather I decided to assume that it would work. I bought enough supplies to make sure neither complexity nor equipment would be an issue (that is, I bought a good, simple cig-style model, plenty of batteries, plus an ego and LR cartos), but I allowed myself to smoke if I wanted. I also started with high nic (24mg). Within a few days, I could handle the cig cravings. When I couldn't, I smoked a cig--it didn't take long before the nastiness of the regular cigs (and memories of it) drove my back to my pv. For me it was important to not have to worry about batteries dying, etc., and to have high enough nic and/or even higher nic as a backup for the really bad cravings.

I haven't had a regular cig in almost 3 months. I have them handy in case I ever REALLY want one, but even though I sometimes think I do, the memory of the last nasty ones keeps me turning to my pv instead.

Everyone's path is a little different, but I wish you much success and joy on yours!

Last edited:
i've owned a e-cig of one form or another for over two years. i've been cigarette free for two weeks, 3 days. i've probably broken a record on ecf for being a vaper and a smoker for that long. it comes down to this:
1. you CANNOT think of e-cigs as a smoking alternative(even though that's what it is). quitting smoking and switching to vaping encounters the same mental obstacle as quitting smoking all together. you have to decide you've had enough, you're done, that it's worthless to spend every day destroying your body and wallowing in your own self-disgust every time you light up all because you cant help it. vaping simply makes that obstacle a little bit smaller.

2. have a reliable PV. one that's time tested, one tat wont fail you when you need it. take the time to learn how they work and troubleshoot. your knowledge is just as important to your PV's reliability as the PV itself.

3. replace your habits. it's important to vape when you would normally smoke, but it's also important to not be in the same spot where you would normally smoke. your craving for a real cigarette will intensify. Ex: i normally go out front on my breaks to smoke. Instead, i go to the break room and vape( i'm lucky like that). Or i could go to the back. stay as far away from cigarette associated environments as possible...then maybe one day, just one day i'll get to go back to the bar, stand outside with my friends and feel comfortable vaping...one day

daniele25

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
phoenix
I'm just about a week off cigarettes, after about 15 years at a 1 1/2 to 2 packs a day. I could never figure out a way to quit, always craving, just wasn't possible for me so I never even bothered trying. Then the e cig idea came along....I tried a few different brands of the highly marketed products you see out there, some they sell at gas stations, etc. I then ended up ordering the ProSmoke starter kit (prosmokestore.com), did a bunch of research and ended up there because it supposedly produced a lot of vapor, (which the other smaller ecigs I tried did not), and was also supposed to be the lightest and most comparable to a real cigarette. Again...this is if you think having something that feels as close to the real deal as possible will help you moreso. The downside, was the Prosmoke pre-filled cartridges weren't doing it for me, not much taste or throat hit, except at the very high nicotene levels. The upside, you can refill these cartridges yourself very easily. SO i did a bunch of research on good tobacco flavored ejuice, and orderd "Casablanca" from Backwoods Brew (backwoodsbrew.net). I have not picked up a real cigarette since the day that package arrived, and honestly haven't really thought about it since. So...with the prosmoke, you can have a very similar feel in your hand and mouth to a real cig, and get some really good ejuice, like Backwoods Brew has (they are very highly recommended, great reviews on several of their other tobacoo flavors too if the Casablanca description on their site doesnt appeal to you.)

Here's the catch...if this works for you, you will end up like me (and so many others i have read about) and just a few short days in you will not be as concerned with the size/real cig resembelance, and want a bigger, better performing ecig, and one thats compatiable with all of the cool gadgets and cartos, tanks, and hundreds of other cool things you can get for this "hobby." I'm ordering a bigger model, but its easily justifiable for me, because at the end of the day I am still spending far less than I would be if I were still buying cigarettes. Moral of the story...go with what will get you over the deadly cigarettes, and then start having fun with the vaping products from there (which I'm sure you will!)

Hope this helps!

daniele25

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
phoenix
One more thing....if you go the route I did above with the ProSmoke as opposed to straight to a bigger model....get the portable charging case. This would not have worked for me otherwise, since they are a smaller battery, they do not last as long, the charging case holds a charge for a while. So since the starter kit comes with 2 batteries, I was never stuck with a dead battery. (and its the same size and functions like a real pack of cigarettes, so you also get that satisfaction of flipping the top up and pulling out a "smoke"

Best of luck....you can definitely do this!

Travis798

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
Oklahoma
I've been vaping for over 2 years and still have the occasional cig. Granted I usually have to force myself to smoke one, but my reasoning may be the same as why a lot of people find it hard to give them up.

Over the course of a long time smoking, cigarettes kind of become that one thing that was always there for us. After a bad day, you light up a smoke and somehow, even if it's just a little bit, it helps. After a while, I think we kind of bond with our little cancer sticks. They are familiar, we know them, and we trust them to help us through those difficult times. Top that off with the bond we get with other smokers due to the persecution of non smokers, and with all the physical things aside, we have a deep psychological bond with our "friends".

Instead of trying to fight that bond or stress out over it, I smoke when I want. I identify with being a "smoker". It's simply a part of who I am and a part of me I stood up for for a long time. I try to make myself smoke one per day, sometimes I forget to smoke one and sometimes during highly stressful periods I smoke more. I'm back to an average of about a pack per 3-4 weeks now, which is much better than the 3+ packs per day I did smoke, but in December my grandparents died in a car wreck and the stress of it had me once again buying cartons and smoking 3-4 packs per day.

To me, the fact that I did go back to them, as did my mother who has also been vaping for the past couple of years, reinforces my belief about the "bond" and trust we develop with them to help us through those tough times. The advice I give people is to not stress out about it. Try to learn to enjoy vaping, vape more when you want a cigarette, and light one up when you feel like you "need" a cigarette. If you try to hard, it will likely just create stress, which will make you want that cigarette all that much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread