Need help quitting smoking real cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

zacharya

Feb 24, 2012
bellmead
I had to stop smoking about 15 days ago and so far I am doing alright. My lung collapsed on both sides less than 2 months apart from each other and they had to stick a tube in my chest, next time I have to get surgery and I am only 26 and told I have emphysema. It was not a fun experience at all so you should try and think about things like that before you get the urge to light one up again.

NeoLythic

ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2011
CA
Oh I so feel your pain. Lol! Its really hard to get off the death sticks, especially when your day is full of triggers that make you want to light up.

Ive been cig free now for about two months, and fought off many a knarly craving. Even with the e-cig as a crutch its a real stinker to battle.

I found that a higher nic content in the juice has helped. But I think a major factor has been finding a set up that's easy and as stress free as possible. Unfortunately you only really find that out by trying different set ups. There are so many choices that it can drive you right back to the coffin nails just thinking about it.

Once you find the right kit though it gets easier. Don't beat yourself up if you fall back once in a while until you can developed a new routine.

The other hurddle (at least for me) has been getting over the convenience factor. With smokes all y have to do is hit the nearest gas station or convenience store. With e cigs its a whole new ball game. Now you have to plan ahead! I think that's been the toughest part for me.

But stick with it! Try to shrug off the occasional relapse and think about what made you fall back. If something isn't working with your current set up ask questions about it. Someone around here is bound to have hit the same snag and may have a solution.

Hang in there!

ianlm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2012
Louisville, KY
www.ianmassey.com
sometimes it's good to be ignorant, and in my case it served me well for quitting smoking. i just assumed e-cigs would 100% replace regular cigarettes, it never occurred to me that they might not "work". i figured today i smoke cigarettes, tomorrow I smoke e-cigarettes. i never thought that they might be different somehow or that it might not fulfill me in some way.

and so it just worked. when my e-cig came in the mail, i stopped smoking analogs and started using it instead. whenever i felt like i needed or wanted to smoke, i picked the e-cig up and puffed until I didn't feel that way anymore. Sometimes it took one puff, sometimes I vaped that thing for hours straight. I still do both, but i haven't had a cigarette since January 1st. Sometimes I still want one, and when I do i pick up one of my PV's and puff away.

Equipment and the right juice(s) make a huge difference. A huge, cannot-be-overstated difference. But ultimately, nothing matters more than simply trusting the vape, as others have said so perfectly. Trust that when you vape, your craving for a cigarette will go away. It might take a few minutes, but it will! Before you know it you'll be typing some stuff like this to someone else a month down the road.

RosieRags

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2012
Tennessee
I am in the same boat as most who have replied to you. I originally looked up smoking cessation methods around the 7th of Jan this year when I got a bad bout of bronchitis right after Christmas. Luckily, I found this site and got some really great advice from wonderful people. I was on again off again with the analogs when a bad cold virus swept through work once again and I was back to another bout of bronchitis! For now I am off the analogs completely. I still have triggers every day, mostly after meals and especially after dinner and while watching TV as that is when I would smoke the most. I vape a 24mg of my favorite flavor at that time and keep a variety of other strengths at hand in a slew of yummy flavors and keep on vaping til the beast dies down, which it does with relative ease compared to using nic gum or lozenges (that just did not work for me).

You seem to want to get the cigarette elephant off your back even more so than I did...so I am thinking you will find a way to escape them completely! We're all here for you, paddling up stream:p

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Sorry - I did not read the whole thread but these are my suggestions

1 - you need equipment that is strong enough for your needs. If you bought something tiny consider something bigger (fat 450mah+ models and mods can use hotter LR cartos/attys for more nic hit and vapor - solves problems for many). On the other hand, if you have a big model and you are uncomfortable with it in public, then consider a KR808D-1 slim model (strongest slim model, 3.7v) for when you want to fit in. Also - if you bought an auto model, try manual which is how you get the best drag/hit every time with less work. If you are using atomizers and the flavor or performance has gone downhill, try cartomizers which are what most end up preferring for every day vaping.

2 - you need to find liquids with a hit and aroma that satisfies you. That means trying a lot of liquids. For flavors and nic hit to come through better choose high PG juices like 80PG/20VG. And keep it interesting by alternating carto flavors or modifying the flavor in your carto. Find some juices that make you go ahhh and it will be better than smoking.

3 - This is important - some new vapers cannot vape food flavors without getting analog cravings as if they just ate. Some other new vapers do better staying away from tobacco flavors because they remind them of analogs and makes them crave one. And some new vapers can be satisfied by any flavor. You need to figure out which you are and for now, avoid vaping flavors that leave you craving an analog. Later most people can vape any flavor they like.

4 - You need to smell the vapor. Cigs dump their aroma all over you. With ecigs you have to remember to smell the vapor. Most of the flavor is in the aroma. Your tongue can only taste sweet, salty, sour, bitter and umami (MSG)

5 - Spares. Eliminate the fear of equipment failure. Have spares of everything. And I leave my charged spares set up overnight with cartos on them for late night vaping. And if I get up in the middle of the night, or first thing in the morning, I can just pick them up and start vaping.

5 - the cigs. If you must have them then Don't Buy Your Fave Cigs. Buy a brand you do not like. If you must carry them, do not carry them in their accustomed pocket - put them in a hard to reach pocket. If you can bear to not have them in your pocket, then put them in a zip lock bag w/ your lighter and stick the bag in the trunk of your car.

6 - If you get an urge for a cig, vape first and hopefully that will change your mind. And note - as long as you keep smoking, the chemicals that make nicotine and cigs more addictive will stay in your system.

Last edited:
Despite the very different taste of e-cigs compared to real ones, it only took me 1 day to realize that regular cigarettes taste like garbage compared to my new e-cig. I smoked only the e-cig for about a week before trying a Marlboro red and that Marlboro tasted like garbage :( to me. Ever since then I have been only vaping and haven't looked back. I guess some people are just very different from one another when it comes to making the switch-over. For me, it wasn't difficult at all. But I can understand that it's not the same for everyone. I wish I could help more, but I too am relatively new to the world of vaping. :closedeyes:

ambition

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2012
Australia
After vaping for a year and smoking as well for most of that time until a little while ago, I can say with confidence that sometimes it doesn't matter what your equipment or juice is...Sometimes you just want a real cigarette.

About 2 weeks ago i started having strong cravings all of a sudden. After a week of this I just bummed one off a mate and lit it up. Tasted damn horrible and harsh and rough and the nicotine hit way too quick and it was sickening. Put it out after 3 puffs.

Point is that if you want to quit, you will, and if you don't, you won't. And sometimes the best way to not smoke is to light up and realise how horrible it really is, and remember that feeling for the next time the craving strikes.

n9emz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2012
Florida Space Coast
home.bluemarble.net
This one below as well as all the other suggestions in the thread are on point. However, if I were just starting out I'd be more confused after reading the thread than beforehand. There's nothing I can add that hasn't already been stated, but I can tell you how I quit immediately after smoking a pack a day of non-filter Camels for 60 years.

1. I really wanted to quit after losing my dad to lung cancer last year....straight Camel smoker for 20 years longer than me.

2. I was fortunate in having a vapor shop near me where the folks there are maybe even more interested in helping people than making a profit.

3. I told them my story and that I wanted a 510 series apparatus. They selected a juice at the right strength (24mg) and flavor that pleased me....first shot. Needing something a couple of weeks later that gave me consistent hits and longer lasting batteries, they suggested a different apparatus that has tickled me plumb pink ever since.

My pops would have been 91 yesterday, and my plan was to break out a Camel....we really enjoyed sharing Camels while shooting the bull during the last 5 months of his life. Yesterday was something I'd looked forward to all week....yesterday arrived and I blew it off....just not interested in an analog and pops wouldn't have care what I was smoking back then anyhow. So, I spent a big part of the day reminiscing while puffing my VEC.

I could care less about cigarettes. Vaping is far more satisfying than any cigarette I ever smoked on my best day and I seldom think about a cigarette....I never have a craving. BONUS....day after I quit, the wife quit also and neither of us have looked back.

Good luck to you.

Sorry - I did not read the whole thread but these are my suggestions

1 - you need equipment that is strong enough for your needs. If you bought something tiny consider something bigger (fat 450mah+ models and mods can use hotter LR cartos/attys for more nic hit and vapor - solves problems for many). On the other hand, if you have a big model and you are uncomfortable with it in public, then consider a KR808D-1 slim model (strongest slim model, 3.7v) for when you want to fit in. Also - if you bought an auto model, try manual which is how you get the best drag/hit every time with less work. If you are using atomizers and the flavor or performance has gone downhill, try cartomizers which are what most end up preferring for every day vaping.

2 - you need to find liquids with a hit and aroma that satisfies you. That means trying a lot of liquids. For flavors and nic hit to come through better choose high PG juices like 80PG/20VG. And keep it interesting by alternating carto flavors or modifying the flavor in your carto. Find some juices that make you go ahhh and it will be better than smoking.

3 - This is important - some new vapers cannot vape food flavors without getting analog cravings as if they just ate. Some other new vapers do better staying away from tobacco flavors because they remind them of analogs and makes them crave one. And some new vapers can be satisfied by any flavor. You need to figure out which you are and for now, avoid vaping flavors that leave you craving an analog. Later most people can vape any flavor they like.

4 - You need to smell the vapor. Cigs dump their aroma all over you. With ecigs you have to remember to smell the vapor. Most of the flavor is in the aroma. Your tongue can only taste sweet, salty, sour, bitter and umami (MSG)

5 - Spares. Eliminate the fear of equipment failure. Have spares of everything. And I leave my charged spares set up overnight with cartos on them for late night vaping. And if I get up in the middle of the night, or first thing in the morning, I can just pick them up and start vaping.

5 - the cigs. If you must have them then Don't Buy Your Fave Cigs. Buy a brand you do not like. If you must carry them, do not carry them in their accustomed pocket - put them in a hard to reach pocket. If you can bear to not have them in your pocket, then put them in a zip lock bag w/ your lighter and stick the bag in the trunk of your car.

6 - If you get an urge for a cig, vape first and hopefully that will change your mind. And note - as long as you keep smoking, the chemicals that make nicotine and cigs more addictive will stay in your system.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Yeah - I lost my dad to a heart attack in his 40's and my mom due to emphysema. Both smoked. We all smoked.

BTW Add to my quoted list in #1 above - And the opposite too - if what you have bought or the liquid you are using is too strong for you to the point where you can only take tiny drags even a week later, then tone down what you have. The goal is to be able to take drags that satisfy you - if you can't drag it and enjoy then it's not going to work well.

It Is never easy to stop an addiction. http: //......../vzekv is what me and all my buddies got together to quit smoking. They teach you cold hard facts about the health benefits you gain by quitting smoking and the risk that you take by not quitting and that also walk you through it all the way. It is kind of like a drug and alcoholic course where you have a buddy 24/7 to help you out and guide you through it.

Ladypixel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2012
La Verne, CA
About, oh, a month ago now, my kid (who is adult now, but is forever my kid) threw a fit about how she smelled of smoke after riding in the car with myself and my husband. I was grumpy, not sympathetic. My husband on the other hand was sympathetic... and picked up a couple ecigs for use in the car.

Just as grumpily, I agreed to not smoking in the car while she was in it, but warned that I was absolutely still going to smoke.

I haven't had a cigarette for a week now. Yeah, I get cravings. I just had one a couple minutes ago, as I finished dinner, and 25 years of smoking has accustomed me to a smoke after every meal. But, you know, my PV's right here, and IT tastes like dulce de leche right now. I'm debating switching over to chocolate ice (aka mint-chocolate) for a different dessert flavor.

My all-day vape has become a tobacco flavor. My husband says it's actually too tobacco-ish for him (he quit smoking a few days before I did), and he opts for a RY3 that's cut with a bunch of unusual flavors (today, it was a peach ice flavor on top of RY3). When I would take a cigarette break at work, I step outside and vape instead of smoke. I had a really bad day the day before yesterday, and I chain-vaped a lot.

I think, for me at least, the key was to pick up my PV whenever I felt the craving... and to have the firm belief that yes, I do in fact want to quit. It took me a few weeks to get to that belief, but I believe it was the day when I only had two regular cigarettes and didn't think about it until late that night that made me realize that maybe this whole vaping option was a lot more preferable... and yeah, I really did smell like an ashtray when I walked back inside after having one.

If you don't have that 'yes, I'm quitting' mentality firmly in mind, you will still smoke. Don't beat yourself up over it. Just continue the experiment. There likely will come a time when you find that vaping is just generally more preferable to you, whether it be because of the good tastes (that was the winner for me), the lack of stink, or any other factors.

Do I want to smoke? Eh, every so often. But then I remind myself I quit, and I dig out a good-sounding flavor and enjoy. I don't see myself slipping anytime soon on that point. :)

There is one, count 'em one thing which remains with me at all times, even though I stopped carrying the cigarettes around a week ago... I still have my lighter. But that's just because I really like my lighter. Makes it a lot easier to light a candle, or get my finicky stove lit, etcetera.

(Edited to add: you may eye my banner below and go 'how come it was so little money?'. That'd be because my husband and I were rolling our own cigarettes for the last decade plus some time, roughly, and it cost us about $2 a pack that way. So I had a little preparation in planning ahead, because I was picky on my tobacco choices... and I'm just as picky on my juice choices now. :) )

Last edited:
I've been smoke free now 9 days. For me the vaping has reduced my cravings, I vape whenever I get a craving. Like most people have said use a high nicotine content ( I'm currently at 24mg). Also I think the set up you have would help. I personally have the Magma Starter kit from Volcano and for me it works. I vape all day at work and all day at home, basically whenever I get a craving. It's hard especially if you smoked a lot for so many years. Overall I think if you are determined you will stop, don't give up.

wutermelon

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2011
Las vegas
I am in the same boat as most who have replied to you. I originally looked up smoking cessation methods around the 7th of Jan this year when I got a bad bout of bronchitis right after Christmas. Luckily, I found this site and got some really great advice from wonderful people. I was on again off again with the analogs when a bad cold virus swept through work once again and I was back to another bout of bronchitis! For now I am off the analogs completely. I still have triggers every day, mostly after meals and especially after dinner and while watching TV as that is when I would smoke the most. I vape a 24mg of my favorite flavor at that time and keep a variety of other strengths at hand in a slew of yummy flavors and keep on vaping til the beast dies down, which it does with relative ease compared to using nic gum or lozenges (that just did not work for me).

You seem to want to get the cigarette elephant off your back even more so than I did...so I am thinking you will find a way to escape them completely! We're all here for you, paddling up stream:p

O my god you have the same exact triggers as me lol. My favorite time to light is always after a big meal. But waiting at bus stops trigger me the most like crazy.

PaporPlas

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2011
Los Angeles
About, oh, a month ago now, my kid (who is adult now, but is forever my kid) threw a fit about how she smelled of smoke after riding in the car with myself and my husband. I was grumpy, not sympathetic. My husband on the other hand was sympathetic... and picked up a couple ecigs for use in the car.

Just as grumpily, I agreed to not smoking in the car while she was in it, but warned that I was absolutely still going to smoke.

I haven't had a cigarette for a week now. Yeah, I get cravings. I just had one a couple minutes ago, as I finished dinner, and 25 years of smoking has accustomed me to a smoke after every meal. But, you know, my PV's right here, and IT tastes like dulce de leche right now. I'm debating switching over to chocolate ice (aka mint-chocolate) for a different dessert flavor.

My all-day vape has become a tobacco flavor. My husband says it's actually too tobacco-ish for him (he quit smoking a few days before I did), and he opts for a RY3 that's cut with a bunch of unusual flavors (today, it was a peach ice flavor on top of RY3). When I would take a cigarette break at work, I step outside and vape instead of smoke. I had a really bad day the day before yesterday, and I chain-vaped a lot.

I think, for me at least, the key was to pick up my PV whenever I felt the craving... and to have the firm belief that yes, I do in fact want to quit. It took me a few weeks to get to that belief, but I believe it was the day when I only had two regular cigarettes and didn't think about it until late that night that made me realize that maybe this whole vaping option was a lot more preferable... and yeah, I really did smell like an ashtray when I walked back inside after having one.

If you don't have that 'yes, I'm quitting' mentality firmly in mind, you will still smoke. Don't beat yourself up over it. Just continue the experiment. There likely will come a time when you find that vaping is just generally more preferable to you, whether it be because of the good tastes (that was the winner for me), the lack of stink, or any other factors.

Do I want to smoke? Eh, every so often. But then I remind myself I quit, and I dig out a good-sounding flavor and enjoy. I don't see myself slipping anytime soon on that point. :)

There is one, count 'em one thing which remains with me at all times, even though I stopped carrying the cigarettes around a week ago... I still have my lighter. But that's just because I really like my lighter. Makes it a lot easier to light a candle, or get my finicky stove lit, etcetera.

(Edited to add: you may eye my banner below and go 'how come it was so little money?'. That'd be because my husband and I were rolling our own cigarettes for the last decade plus some time, roughly, and it cost us about $2 a pack that way. So I had a little preparation in planning ahead, because I was picky on my tobacco choices... and I'm just as picky on my juice choices now. :) )

Hi Lady, Funny, while I was reading your post I had this strange desire to go out and ride Marshall Canyon. It wasn't until I finished your post that I read you are in La Verne! LOL

Anyway, great post. Something new that is coming out (and I know, all this stuff seems so like conspiracy) but they are now, you might have heard this, saying there is a "third hand smoke" that smokers cause. That is where our cars, furniture, clothes, and even those whom come in contact with those items have the toxins rub off of leach into their skin. So, essentially, they become exposed to and possibly addicted to those bad chemicals and toxins like us, even if they never smoke!

Kudos to you and your husband for finding a way to hear your "kido" and stop exposing them to all that junk. I would't doubt if BT actually plans it so smokers pass on their addiction via both 2nd hand and 3rd hand smoking. There was a poster on here that wrote he and his dad smoked non-filter Camels together, for many years. I do not think it is coincidence that kids of smokers are more likely to smoke than kids of non-smokers.

Vape on!

Last edited:

Jim Bob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2011
Kentucky
I did not see where you stated how much you smoked per day on average, myself I was a heavy smoker 2.5+ PAD for > 30 years, I had to have 36mg nicotine for mornings and after meals etc. for a couple months (now I can get by fine @ 18 and vape lesser most times) once you shed your body of the crap in cigarettes you will then be finished with smoking IF you really want to be. THAT is the real issue, it's not the nicotine causing the problem (if it were patches etc. would work much better) it's many other chemicals BT puts in them to keep you smoking until you die or are flat out to sick TO smoke!

Higher nicotine was the answer for ME- no matter how strong the cravings 36mg @ 5v on a 3 ohm boge would kill it fast! (some strong stuff so proceed with caution) 24mg is "enough" for most in reality- I kept 36 AND 24mg handy at all times for the first couple of months.

You get the "hand to mouth" and ample nicotine (providing your juice is correct and your equipment acceptable at the least) yes you do get strong cravings but they don't last very long when you vape hard! Not smoking when you smoked for years (if not decades) is NOT easy IF it were we'd have NO smokers, no one really wants to keep smoking (no matter what they try to tell themselves or others) it ruins your health and everyone knows it! Some people claim they will never quit because they enjoy it SO much- but ask them what it is they enjoy "so much" and watch them squirm they fail to admit (or grasp) the addiction is the true reason they smoke not pleasure or morning hacking or inability to taste/smell and go around smelling like wet ashtray - we have ALL "been there- done that" but once you conquer the smoking addiction you THEN realize you never liked smoking- you lied to yourself and others to mask the reality of your situation .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread