Status
Not open for further replies.

falcon_clouds383

May 15, 2015
I have a dark horse rda
Ameri vapes Apollo
With a LG 18650
I'm using 22 gauge kanthol
And tryin to Chuck the clouds I've tried everything from dual parallel to a quad coil ohm reader reads everything at .4-.5 and its just not producing the vapor I want I've read ohms law a hundred times and have probably built 20 different coil set ups in the past week and just can't seem to do what I want ...and I'm trying to enter my first comp here in the next two weeks? Any help would be appreciated

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Well with 22 guage your going to have to enter danger territory an head down to .2 ohms or a touch lower, but the battery you have is only good to about .3 ohms

Thats just too thick of a wire especially in dual coil for a mech to heat up properly. At 1 ohm each those must be some huge coils, and thats just too much.

No offense but if you cant figure this out and dont know this stuff already you shouldnt be worrying about competitions yet,

The level you need to push that battery to with this wire is extremely dangerous

Try a .4 single coil and toss some pure vg on it

Sgt.Rock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2014
The Poconos
I think you may find that running a smaller gauge coil like say a twisted 26 Nichrome 80 will give you faster ramp up and a better vape

You don't need fat wire to get results. I run a single coil twisted 26 like I mentioned also at about the same ohms you say your coils run (.4 to .5) and it hits fast and fills up my living room if I want it to.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Knowledge and experimentation is key.
There is no magic formula. Just using super low gauge wire and mech is not necessarily going to produce big clouds. Wicking, airflow etc., there are so many variables to consider.

For example.I just built a single coil, 26G 6 wraps@2mm in a Derringer, on a regulated mod at 40W. It's chucking some of the biggest clouds I've ever made. It was a surprise to me too.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
correct me if I'm wrong but most lgs are a 35 amp battery capable of something lower than .3?
No, LG18650HE2 is a 20 amps continuous discharge. It may have 35 amps "pulse", but we don't use that spec for vaping.

1.0 ohm = 4.2 amp draw
0.9 ohm = 4.6 amp draw
0.8 ohm = 5.2 amp draw
0.7 ohms = 6 amp draw
0.6 ohms = 7 amp draw
0.5 ohms = 8.4 amp draw
0.4 ohms = 10.5 amp draw
0.3 ohms = 14.0 amp draw
0.2 ohms = 21.0 amp draw
0.1 ohms = 42.0 amp draw
0.0 ohms = dead short = battery goes into thermal runaway

Continuous Discharge Ratings vs Pulse (Burst) Discharge Ratings

The "continuous discharge rating" in amps is the standard specification for amp limits within the battery industry. It is a determination made by the manufacturer and represents the amp limit a battery can be safely used before it will fail.

The "pulse or burst" discharge rating is not a specification standard within the battery industry. Every manufacturer or vendor seems to have their own definition of what the pulse rating is.

A pulse discharge rating is any use above the continuous discharge rating. It is never safe and not within the intended operating parameters of the battery. You should not operate your device above the continuous rating if you can help it. The pulse rating is a condition in which the battery is on basically a buildup to failure. It is exceeding the sustainable and intended discharge rate of the battery. It is inappropriate for a consumer device to operate in the pulse range of its battery.

Which would be why we shouldn't rely on any pulse rating. Any failure, mechanical or electronic, that fires the mod will operate in the 'continuous' mode. If your setup relies on a pulse rating, it's instantly over spec.

If your amp draw is safely in the continuous discharge range, your coil could act almost like a fuse and burn out before the battery is stressed. If you are already running the battery at the edge of it's limits (pulse), there is no margin of safety.

Explain it for the dumb noob: Ohm's Law calculations.

Battery Basics for Mods

Last edited:

Ohm Gnome

Apr 27, 2015
Douglasville Ga
I have some max vg from moon mountain vapors and some epic clouds ones 80/20 and the other is 90/10
I've never competed and I'm not a cloud chaser but I sub ohm with max vg a lot because my favorite flavors only come in max vg. But when I use a RDA I do like someone said before me, I build at 1.0 or higher and use a regulated device so you actually can utilize the voltage and get big dense flavorful clouds

CRizzo7

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2014
Wichita, Kansas, USA.
Knowledge=Safety

Wrap coils and keep an ohm calculator handy. Ohm out your coils before you start running them unless you're highly experienced. Gotta walk before you can run. Know the amp limit of your batteries and keep an eye on your mod. Cloud chasing is great, but it's not worth causing harm to yourself because you're rushing it. Stay safe and vape on.

Reactions: Baditude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread