Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
I want to have the ability to increase the nic levels in my premade DIY liquids. Most of mine are 12mg and if I want to increase this to 24mg how many drops/mls of 100mg nic would I add to 6mls?

Is there a calculator I can use for my premade liquid that's just for increasing nicotine levels?

Thanks math whizzes! :D

keveck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2010
aaa
I'm sure there is a calculator available somewhere, but for your example:
6mls @ 12 mg = 72 mg per bottle

You want 6 mls @ 24 mg = 144 mg per bottle

So you would want to add 72 mg of nicotine.
Figuring that 100mg/ml = 20 drops, each drop is 5 mg.

So, about 15 drops of nicotine per bottle.

Of course, this is a little off because you're adding volume to the container, but it'll get you started!

Jaaxx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2008
Atlanta, GA
juicyliquid.com
if I want to increase this to 24mg how many drops/mls of 100mg nic would I add to 6mls?

Thanks math whizzes! :D

In your case, if you have 6ml of 12mg liquid, add 1ml of 100mg to that to bring it close to 24mg.

6ml x 12mg = 72mg
+
1ml x 100mg = 100mg

This gives you 172mg total so...

172mg / 7ml = 24.57mg/ml

DVap

Nicotiana Alchemia
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
When mixing two different nicotine liquids (liquid 1 and liquid 2), where vol is in mL and conc is in mg/mL

(Vol1 * Conc1) + (Vol2 * Conc2) = total mg nicotine

and

Vol
1 + Vol2 = total volume in mL

So:

Nicotine concentration in mg/mL =

[(Vol1 * Conc1) + (Vol2 * Conc2)] / (Vol1 + Vol2)

So lets say you have 15 mL at 40 mg/mL and you want to know what volume of 100 mg/mL to add to make 75 mg/mL.

75 mg/mL = [(15 mL * 40 mg/mL) + (Vol2 * 100 mg/mL)] / (15mL + Vol2)

simplify Vol1 * Conc1:

75 mg/mL = [(600 mg) + (Vol2 * 100 mg/mL)] / (15mL + Vol2)

Bring the demoninator over to the left:

75 mg/mL * (15mL + Vol2) = (600 mg) + (Vol2 * 100 mg/mL)

Multiply out the left side:

1125 mg
+ (75 mg/mL * Vol2) = 600 mg + (Vol2 * 100 mg/mL)

Simplify by bringing the 600 mg over to the left:

525 mg + (75 mg/mL * Vol2) = Vol2 * 100 mg/mL

divide the left by vol2:

[(525 mg/vol2) + 75 mg/mL] = 100 mg/mL

Simplify:

525 mg/vol2 = 25 mg/mL

Rearrange:

Vol2 = 525 mg/25 mg/mL

Solve:

Vol2 = 21 mL

So starting with 15 mL of 40 mg/mL, you would add 21 mL of 100 mg/mL to make 36 mL of 75 mg/mL.

The math is, in short, a pain in the .... I believe that Dan's calculator (stickied at the top of this section) would make short work of this.

Last edited:

DVap

Nicotiana Alchemia
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
DVap! Are you trying to be funny! :blink: Dummy heeere! :confused:

I get that a lot. My wife usually tries to put me between herself and the TV when I go on like that... then she just nods in agreement and watches over my shoulder while ignoring me. :facepalm:

I guess I'll skip the post about how to do the math in your head. :lol:

nesf

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2010
Cork, Ireland
When mixing two different nicotine liquids (liquid 1 and liquid 2), where vol is in mL and conc is in mg/mL

(Vol1 * Conc1) + (Vol2 * Conc2) = total mg nicotine

and

Vol
1 + Vol2 = total volume in mL

So:

Nicotine concentration in mg/mL =

[(Vol1 * Conc1) + (Vol2 * Conc2)] / (Vol1 + Vol2)

So lets say you have 15 mL at 40 mg/mL and you want to know what volume of 100 mg/mL to add to make 75 mg/mL.

75 mg/mL = [(15 mL * 40 mg/mL) + (Vol2 * 100 mg/mL)] / (15mL + Vol2)

simplify Vol1 * Conc1:

75 mg/mL = [(600 mg) + (Vol2 * 100 mg/mL)] / (15mL + Vol2)

Bring the demoninator over to the left:

75 mg/mL * (15mL + Vol2) = (600 mg) + (Vol2 * 100 mg/mL)

Multiply out the left side:

1125 mg
+ (75 mg/mL * Vol2) = 600 mg + (Vol2 * 100 mg/mL)

Simplify by bringing the 600 mg over to the left:

525 mg + (75 mg/mL * Vol2) = Vol2 * 100 mg/mL

divide the left by vol2:

[(525 mg/vol2) + 75 mg/mL] = 100 mg/mL

Simplify:

525 mg/vol2 = 25 mg/mL

Rearrange:

Vol2 = 525 mg/25 mg/mL

Solve:

Vol2 = 21 mL

So starting with 15 mL of 40 mg/mL, you would add 21 mL of 100 mg/mL to make 36 mL of 75 mg/mL.

The math is, in short, a pain in the .... I believe that Dan's calculator (stickied at the top of this section) would make short work of this.

Cheers DVap, very handy formula. :)

Always easier of course with Mathematica to do the solving for me. ;)

nesf

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2010
Cork, Ireland
Using Mathematica to do Proportions and Ratios is like killing a fly on your friends forehead with a Sledge Hammer.

For Non-Linear Differential Equations? Perhaps.

I always wonder how our elders ever solved all those math problems without Someone Else writing a piece of code for them?

After doing Physics in college and while doing a PhD in Applied Maths I refuse to dirty my hands with actually working out sums, Sir!

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
When I was at University, I remember doing this really Nasty integration. I tried doing many changes of variable and finaly got something that looked like if I threw a bunch of algebra on it, it might fall apart.

Problem was, I was in Spherical Coordinates and there was something wrong with my limits of integration. I took my 9 pages of steps to the math lab to ask a Teachers Assistant if he/she could look it over. By luck, I saw my professor in the hall way en route.I showed him my work and the answer I got. It was something crazy like,

Ln(sinx^2 + e^xln(cos^e)) evaled from Pie/2 to 5(Pie)/6

My instructor look me straight in the eye and told me he thought it was wrong. I started to go over the steps involved but he stopped me. He said.

“Haven’t you figure it out yet? At this level of Mathematics, All the answers for book problems are either 0, 1 or Infinity.”

Last edited:

nesf

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2010
Cork, Ireland
When I was at University, I remember doing this really Nasty integration. I tried doing many changes of variable and finaly got something that looked like if I threw a bunch of algebra on it, it might fall apart.

Problem was, I was in Spherical Coordinates and there was something wrong with my limits of integration. I took my 9 pages of steps to the math lab to ask a Teachers Assistant if he/she could look it over. By luck, I saw my professor in the hall way en route.I showed him my work and the answer I got. It was something crazy like,

Ln(sinx^2 + e^xln(cos^e)) evaled from Pie/2 to 5(Pie)/6

My instructor look me straight in the eye and told me he thought it was wrong. I started to go over the steps involved but he stopped me. He said.

“Haven’t you figure it out yet? At this level of Mathematics, All the answers for book problems are either 0, 1 or Infinity.”

:laugh:

This site badly needs a thanks button.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
:laugh:

This site badly needs a thanks button.

I hear you on that.

thanks.gif

DVap

Nicotiana Alchemia
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
Using Mathematica to do Proportions and Ratios is like killing a fly on your friends forehead with a Sledge Hammer.

For Non-Linear Differential Equations? Perhaps.

I always wonder how our elders ever solved all those math problems without Someone Else writing a piece of code for them?

Simple.. they didn't have an alternative!

nesf

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2010
Cork, Ireland
Simple.. they didn't have an alternative!

Exactly! Now if I used the parallel processing options and networked some extra nodes from my laptop to go along with the 8 in the desktop, then we could talk about overkill...

As is, I'm just lazy and have Mathematica on this machine, and it's faster to type "Solve[((10*0.18) + (V*0.52))/(10 + V) == 0.24, V]" than it is to open Excel and start messing around with formulas there. :D

nesf

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2010
Cork, Ireland
Because I've insomnia and need something to do I implemented DVap's formula into an Excel spreadsheet to make life easier for people without Mathematica or similar to do the work for them.

Calculator for Strengthening or Diluting E-Juices

It's very simple and isn't very shiny I'm afraid but it gives the correct answers! :p

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Because I've insomnia and need something to do I implemented DVap's formula into an Excel spreadsheet to make life easier for people without Mathematica or similar to do the work for them.

Calculator for Strengthening or Diluting E-Juices

It's very simple and isn't very shiny I'm afraid but it gives the correct answers! :p

Looks like it works good to me, I have added all sorts of calculations in to the v13 calculator that figures out the ml and mg of up to 2-4 juices added together, and setting a target ml and mg letting the calculator tell you how much of each juice to add together to make the target but failed to add this type of calculation. It would be a nice addition to the v13 calculator if you don't mind me snagging your code to add it in. I like all resources in one place when mixing. Let me know if it is ok to repurpose your work. Thanks again for a simple solution.
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread