K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Hi All!

So within the last few days, a coworker came to me (after razzing me the last six months for using e-cigs, lol) to let me know that he was going to switch to e-cigs from smoking, and wanted some recommendations on a "good" cig-a-like.

He's currently a three PAD smoker (Marlboro lights) and the occasional little cigar.

He's tried the Blu and some disposable type (he wasn't sure of the brand, but they come in plastic tubes).

He wasn't satisfied with the performance, and wanted to get something that "makes clouds like the stuff you got" but wants to stay with something that LOOKS like a cigarette because he doesn't want to "stick a crotch buzzer" in his face. :facepalm:

Since my only experience with the cig-a-like category is limited to convenience store e-cigs, I was hoping for some advice.

Thanks!

MGates

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Collingdale PA
I started with cig-a-likes about a year and a half ago, though I upgraded soon after. If he's looking for something smaller he might want to look in to an e-smart kit. They come in both 808 and 510 models. The e-smart clearos were the only thing (clearo/carto) that didn't drive me completely nuts. I recently saw that they started making them with replaceable coils which should help cost wise.

My first kit was from Vapor4Life, and while they can be on the pricey side for gear, they have awesome customer service. Another well respected vendor is Smokeless Image. Both of these vendors cig-a-likes are 808 threaded.

TigerLadyTX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
Garland, TX
For the most part, cigalikes suck. If he is wanting a "smallish" rig, I'd encourage him to look at a 650mAh size eGo type battery. They do come in VV types, too. As far as toppers go, there are so many to choose from that you can't shake a stick at them. One of the smaller glassomizers might be a good choice. These are excellent: https://www.fasttech.com/products/1535301

and they use these coils: sku 1394501

~Tiger

jcco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Colorado
Bump.

I have read the Joyetech E-roll is a good small type PV. Hopefully some experts will be able to chime in & give you more ideas. Try a search on E-roll & see what people think. It's the only small one that seems to be popular.

Most folks will want to steer you away from cig-a-likes for many reasons. My 1st kit after going through many disposable types is still going strong well over a year now. It is the KGO kit from Hoosier Vapes. I still use it to this day. It's not a VV or VW & is fixed at 3.7v.

The genuine Joyetech or even the Ego/KGO with VV is preferred by many. The Twist & Spinner [I think] is a great way to start.

I thought I was going to hate the size of my KGO but once I used it I was very happy & the size didn't bother me at all.
Not sure where you can get a good kit but Discount Vapers, 101 Vapes & Hoosier might be a good start.

It's the batteries of the cig-a-likes that people outgrow quickly. Constant battery charging & they simply don't last long.
Just make sure to have at least 2 batteries so you can be using 1 while you charge the other. I'm sure you know how important backups are.

Wish I could be of more help. I don't know much about cig-a-likes & maybe this bump will get you some more help.

Good luck & hope you find the right PV.

JC

Last edited:

K_Tech

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Thanks, folks! Yeah, I really, REALLY tried talking him out of going with a cigalike but he is dead-set on using nothing larger or "(I can't say what term he used)"* than a real cigarette. For him it's either cigalikes or real cigarettes, there are no other options.

*Yeah, he's a butthole, but he really is a decent fellow. Other than being stubborn, opinionated, and homophobic. :blink:

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
Be kind but direct and honest with your co-worker. Let him know that someone who smokes 3 packs a day will not likely be very successful in being able to quit by using only a cig-alike. However, the familiar cig-alike form factor can be a big psychological comfort which can be quite helpful with quitting. I clutched mine like a security blankie for weeks after getting my Twists and Vivi Novas.

Since your co-worker seems to have issues with phallic symbolism you might want to suggest an MVP 2.0 paired with a glassomizer like the ProTank 2. Then have him pick up a disposable NJOY at the convenience store to use in addition to the MVP. He can see if he finds the form factor and experience helpful before wasting money on a cig-alike. NJOYs are insanely expensive but have very high nic levels and come as close to mimicking the smoking experience as one can get with vaping.

If your friend finds himself hitting the NJOY so frequently as to be prohibitively expensive suggest he get an eRoll to use with the MVP. The little eRoll is best in class for cig-alikes, packs a surprisingly powerful punch, particularly when used with high nic juice, and is easy to use and keep charged.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
3 packs a day? Yeah, I don't know about any cigalikes that'll stand up to what he'll need. One thing you can try is higher nic levels to pack more punch into each hit. I know some companies really go heavy on nic for their disposable cigalikes. Another could be pure VG juice to create more vapor, but you'll give up a bit of throat hit that way.

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
I'll try to work on him some more. He's going to be retiring this year, and I get a really strong feeling that he wants to quit before he retires.

If your coworker is dead set on cig-alikes tell him that a more realistic short-term goal from using them would be to cut down rather than quitting. Tell him to smoke guilt-free cigarettes when he can't vape through cravings and to celebrate the cigarettes he has not smoked rather than fretting about the ones he is smoking. Over time he may be able to gradually cut back to the point of quitting.

The most important thing is that your coworker finds vaping to be a pleasant experience so he will persist until he finds what works for him to quit. Associating feelings of guilt with vaping because of unreasonably high expectations about quitting right away is extremely counterproductive.

If you have a good brick and mortar with friendly staff and customers take your coworker there. Seeing other people using gear other than cig-alikes might help him feel more comfortable with using a PV that would increase his chances for success.

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
I was a 3 pad 40 year smoker and was convinced that only cig-a-likes would do. I started with Smokeless Image Volts, and used them for 2-3 months. For the next few months, I used them along with larger ego styles. I'm completely over the cig-a-like thing now and into "crotch buzzers" (yeah, don't know what that means but...) but the Volts worked well to get me started.

K_Tech

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Thanks, all, for the advice, like I said, I'll keep working with him.

I've tried to lay out the pros and cons of going the cigalike route (as well as my own experience with them) and keep hoping to steer him into something more robust, but it's like pushing a boulder uphill.

I'm not done yet, though!

03FXDWG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2013
East Central, Missouri
Halo, V2, Kanger E-smart & Smokeless Image are some the name brands but there are generic versions of the 808 batteries, too. He's going to need at least 4 batteries to get through the day, though and probably more. There are some XL batteries but they are going into the land of too long in my opinion. They make mini clearo's now that will work on the 808's and even a few have replacement coils available. I even managed to purchase a CE4 type clearo for my 808s. I thought it was a 510/ego clearo but it wouldn't fit so just for the heck of it, I dug out my 808s and it fits perfectly. Looks stupid but fits perfectly. I still use my 808s but only for potty breaks at work/airport/conferences/etc. That's what I bought them for. I started with a pair of ego-c twist 650's, an iClear 16 and an EVOD.

I also think he might like the MVP 2.0 whether he realizes it or not. Just make sure he sees the plain jane/john ones instead of the Energy or especially the Shine series first. I also think he'll be buying a Provari very, very soon if he sticks with vaping.

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
So, give him 2 lists. Give him the one he thinks he wants and the one he's actually going to want and tell him that throwing the money away on the first choice is still better than burning it on cigarettes. Also tell him that almost every person on this forum wishes they would have listened to the advice they got because almost none of them are using what they started with.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
Be kind but direct and honest with your co-worker. Let him know that someone who smokes 3 packs a day will not likely be very successful in being able to quit by using only a cig-alike. However, the familiar cig-alike form factor can be a big psychological comfort which can be quite helpful with quitting. I clutched mine like a security blankie for weeks after getting my Twists and Vivi Novas.

Since your co-worker seems to have issues with phallic symbolism you might want to suggest an MVP 2.0 paired with a glassomizer like the ProTank 2. Then have him pick up a disposable NJOY at the convenience store to use in addition to the MVP. He can see if he finds the form factor and experience helpful before wasting money on a cig-alike. NJOYs are insanely expensive but have very high nic levels and come as close to mimicking the smoking experience as one can get with vaping.

If your friend finds himself hitting the NJOY so frequently as to be prohibitively expensive suggest he get an eRoll to use with the MVP. The little eRoll is best in class for cig-alikes, packs a surprisingly powerful punch, particularly when used with high nic juice, and is easy to use and keep charged.

If your coworker is dead set on cig-alikes tell him that a more realistic short-term goal from using them would be to cut down rather than quitting. Tell him to smoke guilt-free cigarettes when he can't vape through cravings and to celebrate the cigarettes he has not smoked rather than fretting about the ones he is smoking. Over time he may be able to gradually cut back to the point of quitting.

The most important thing is that your coworker finds vaping to be a pleasant experience so he will persist until he finds what works for him to quit. Associating feelings of guilt with vaping because of unreasonably high expectations about quitting right away is extremely counterproductive.

If you have a good brick and mortar with friendly staff and customers take your coworker there. Seeing other people using gear other than cig-alikes might help him feel more comfortable with using a PV that would increase his chances for success.

I agree with these two posts. eRoll, MVP (for non public consumption) and Njoy King disposables (for out and about). he'll probably get over his discomfort of using a non-cigarette form factor fairly rapidly.

Glen Snyder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
My recommendation for a coworker would be Superman. He's really, really strong and has that All American Boy work ethic. Batman is dark, prolly spend too much time brooding to get any real work done. Thor is just too good looking and that hammer, forget it. Iron Man is completely self absorbed and NOT a team player. The Hulk is always mad and breaks everything. Captain America is stuck in the 40's, he really needs to adapt to the 21st century for Petes sake. Spiderman is just too damn creepy. So yeah, Superman is my recommendation for a coworker. Hope this helps :)

ETA: Sorry, this isn't the comics forum. My bad :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread