Need some help with gear!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hardold

Oct 11, 2017
Hi guys,

I'm new to ECF, been reading a bit here and there but i need some advice on gear.

I've been smoking a pack a day for 10+ years and i just recently started vaping. I'm down to 3 cigs a day right now and for the rest of the day i vape. The vape i use is the Joyetech eGo AIO and i'm actually quite pleased with it. Bought some flavours 10ml with 12mg nicotine, i think that's pretty low compared to cigs but i'm doing just fine on that amount.

But i want to get myself into some more advanced equipment but it's really hard there are just so many options. I've heard a lot of good about vaporesso and some mixed about smok, but that's about it.

I don't care about the amount of clouds, i would actually rather have minimal clouds. Other than that i don't have much demands, i would like it to be a little similar to analogs just like the eGo AIO i have right now.

Can you guys get me in the right direction and maybe give some tips?

Thanks,
Harold

cats5365

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
United States
Hi guys,

I'm new to ECF, been reading a bit here and there but i need some advice on gear.

I've been smoking a pack a day for 10+ years and i just recently started vaping. I'm down to 3 cigs a day right now and for the rest of the day i vape. The vape i use is the Joyetech eGo AIO and i'm actually quite pleased with it. Bought some flavours 10ml with 12mg nicotine, i think that's pretty low compared to cigs but i'm doing just fine on that amount.

But i want to get myself into some more advanced equipment but it's really hard there are just so many options. I've heard a lot of good about Vaporesso and some mixed about SMOK, but that's about it.

I don't care about the amount of clouds, i would actually rather have minimal clouds. Other than that i don't have much demands, i would like it to be a little similar to analogs just like the eGo AIO i have right now.

Can you guys get me in the right direction and maybe give some tips?

Thanks,
Harold
Do you have a preferred form factor for your vape equipment? When you start getting into the world of mods and tanks, the tank and coils you pick will dictate the vape experience. Almost any mod will power your tank, so you can do some mixing and matching to customise your gear as long as your coils match the safety limits of the mod.

If you want something closer to the cigarette style of vape, you may be looking for something we lovingly call a tootle tank or MTL (mouth to lung). Those will require less power from the battery/mod and a higher ohm coil. I'm a fan of the Nautilus X tank with the 1.8 ohm coils, but other folks like some of the other Nautilus tanks and coils.

For an inexpensive box style mod, several people recommend the iStick Pico for its low price and general reliability. You can get this as a kit with a Melo III mini tank which is more of a sub-ohm style tank with the coils that come in the kit. It will make more vapor than a tootle tank, but if you want to experiment with it, it isn't bad. I'm not familiar with the newer tube style mods, but I'm sure someone else will chime in with recommendations.

If you go with something using an external, removable battery, you will need a good charger, battery case (for storing the batteries), and good batteries from a reputable supplier. Don't cheap out on the batteries. If this is your first time for this purchase, you may find that the vendors will give you a free battery box when you buy your batteries in pairs. Get at least 2 batteries so that you always have a charged one ready to go.

Welcome to ECF and good luck with your vaping journey!

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
The vape i use is the Joyetech eGo AIO and i'm actually quite pleased with it.
You can approach vaping as a mean to an end, and if you are happy with what you got, it will work. Or you can make it a hobby and spend endless time and money searching for some magical better vape.

If you start looking for more gear without specifically identifying what you don't like about your current gear, you are making this a hobby. Nothing wrong with that. Just know what you are doing any why you are doing it. You don't need "really advanced equipment". All you are doing is heating a coil hot enough to vaporize your juice in a way that you find satisfying. Your current gear does that. You don't want more cloudz, which is what most "really advanced equipment" does. If you like flavor, then different tank/rda designs might do a better job but it is not a matter of being more advanced, just a different design objective.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Eleaf Istick 40 or 60w and Pico are proven reliable mods. For mtl Nauti's have a very nice selection of coils. If you want a versatile tank that you can do mtl and dtl Kanger Toptank or the Mello and Ello tanks that come with Eleaf kits are good, also with good coil options.

redeuce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chicago suburbs
www.nofearmotorsports.com
My son has one of those. It’s a little frustrating for him. It’s a very good unit, but it’s kind of a hybrid, like all in one devices are. Trying to offer MTL and DTL in one device. It’s too airy to be a true MTL. If he closes the air to get the tight draw he wants it chokes him.
It’s not the same as a non adjustable MTL device like the Innokin T18/T22. These offer the true ex smoker puff.
However, they are fixed at 14 watts. That is too harsh for some people and mutes some flavors.
I have found 2 slight upgrades that helped my wife and I significantly. She had the T18. I bought her an iStick 30W mod. She puts the T18 tank on the iStick, adjusted to 9.5 watts and likes it better. She now switches back and forth.
I bought the Aspire Zelos kit, which came with the Nautilus 2 tank. Excellent tootle puffer combo, and if you want to experiment, you can go up to 50w.
I rotate between the T22, Zelos, SVD 2.0, and Provari 2.5.
You can stick with what you have, or look into these other units if you want to move up a tad.
I swore I was going to keep only T22’s for life. Then I got the Zelos and liked it. Then I was gifted the SVD and liked it. Then I bought a Provari and put the N2 tank on it and really liked it. Got a little out of control buying for my conservative budget, but glad I did. Like them all. Use them all. Different units with different tanks, and different flavors. I’m now done.
Your experience may differ. I’m a strict low wattage tootle puffer.

Hardold

Oct 11, 2017
Thanks for the great suggestions already, I'm going to check out everything that has been said so far.

I don't really have a preferred form, but i see myself getting into different mods and customizing as a hobby later. For now i think it's better to have something that's good right out of the box and ease into more customization later because most parts and terms sound pretty complicated for me right now.

Like i said i'm generally happy with the eGo AIO but the things i do dislike about it is the small tank, the small battery and the coil not lasting very long. (although i'm not sure if that's going to change with different equipment)

The devices i had on my list are the Vaporesso Target and Tarot, it seems the Target is MTL and DL but the Tarot only DL. I think i would be better off with MTL as a analog smoker?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If you are liking your current MTL setup, there are more powerful setups you can use. Some folks decide they'd like a more powerful mod (e.g. a two battery setup) but may put either a MTL tank on top or an RTA (rebuildable tank atomizes, which requires making coils) that can be set up as a MTL tank and run in Temperature Control mode, which some folks prefer using. There are some great options whichever direction you decide, but a two battery mod doesn't preclude using a MTL tank, you will just have great battery life and perhaps more features (like TC). It's always great to have at least two setups you like, in case something goes wrong with one. Some people really do prefer removable, rechargeable batteries in a mod, and I am one of them. You might want to check out some of the threads in the VW/VV mods thread, to look for recommendations. There are some excellent crossover or MTL tanks that you can put on top as well.

Hope you find something you like, and glad you are enjoying the transition to vaping.

Anna

redeuce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chicago suburbs
www.nofearmotorsports.com
A search on this site is your friend too. You’ll find that everyone has an opinion.
However, if you read enough here, you’ll see a pattern of positive or negative for each piece of equipment. For example, you’ll see numerous discussions on MTL. In the majority of them you’ll see a positive mention of Nautilus tanks, most recently the Nautilus 2.
You are fortunate. You’ve been doing this a while. You understand things that are being discussed.
Financial situation is a key element. If you are on a fixed income or money is tight, be careful. If you are ok money wise, you can have a little fun. Don’t sacrifice anything vital to be a vape collector or a broke hobbyist.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder

• From cigalike batteries, to eGo's, to mods. Another picture dictionary of terminology and form factors for beginning vapers. Includes videos.
Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper
  • Typical starter setups recommended for a new vaper. Includes a video on the use of an eGo variable voltage battery/clearomizer and of the iStick and MVP mods.

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece
Thanks for the great suggestions already, I'm going to check out everything that has been said so far.

I don't really have a preferred form, but i see myself getting into different mods and customizing as a hobby later. For now i think it's better to have something that's good right out of the box and ease into more customization later because most parts and terms sound pretty complicated for me right now.

Like i said i'm generally happy with the eGo AIO but the things i do dislike about it is the small tank, the small battery and the coil not lasting very long. (although i'm not sure if that's going to change with different equipment)

The devices i had on my list are the Vaporesso Target and Tarot, it seems the Target is MTL and DL but the Tarot only DL. I think i would be better off with MTL as a analog smoker?

For Tanks: I'm a mouth to lung vaper, and certain ECFers (you know who you are!) have turned me into an Ego One Mega V2 evangelist, so I'll throw in for this tank.
vPKedkW.jpg

Great for easing in to customization! It is very affordable (you'll find for $10-$15, generally), has a 4ml tank, produces really good flavor for a drop-in coil tank, doesn't leak, and THE BEST THING, it uses the CLR coil (among others), which a) lasts a long time, but also b) is rebuildable. What that means is that you don't have to rebuild, but just save your used CLR coils, and when you are ready to try rebuilding them, they can all be reused. And reused. And reused.

(here's the video I used to learn to rebuild them)

I loved the Nautilus Mini, but when the Nauti mini coils are done, they're done. With the Ego Ones (some people around here affectionately call them "Eggrolls," in case you run into that term on the site), when the coil needs changing, I can either drop in a fresh coil from the blister pack, or I can rebuild the one I've been using. This means that when I'm on the go, I can have drop-in coils with me for an easy change if needed, without having to mess with wire, cotton, winding, etc. But my investment in coils goes waaaaaay further than with throwaway coils. Like pretty much Infinity further.

CLR Coils come in either 1 ohm or .5 ohm. I use the 1 ohm, but when I rebuild, I can choose to make my own resistance, like 1.7 ohm, if I want to use on my old skool Provari mini.

The Ego One v2 tanks also come in smaller sizes, but you mention wanting a bigger tank, so the Mega is a good choice. These come with either a 1 ohm or .5 ohm CL (NOT rebuildable) coil installed. I'm personally not too fond of these coils, so I just immediately switch for a CLR 1 ohm myself.

The Ego One Mega v1 tank is good, too, and also uses the CLR coils, but it's difficult to see your juice level in the little windows.

The only real negative for these tanks -- which is actually not a negative for me, is that it's bottom fill. But I find that top-fill tanks often tend to be more leaky, and I don't find they save much trouble ... whether I unscrew the top from the tank to fill, or unscrew the tank from the base to fill, I'm still just unscrewing something, filling, then screwing it back on. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I use the Ego Ones with all my mods: iStick Pico 75W (small, nice, affordable, reliable, phenomenally popular!), Jac Series-B DNA 75W (my fave! UK mod, popular with many ECF members!), older iSticks (light, reliable, built-in battery -- we use them for out and about), eVic VTwo Minis (nice mods from Joyetech, can do matchy-matchy with colors of the Ego One tanks if you want), Lost Vape E-Petite DNA60 (super cute, nice, a little spendy) + others.

I also use regular RTAs (Kayfun Mini 3s, Goblin Minis, Doggystyle clones, Siren V1, and others) and the flavor from the Ego One tanks holds up pretty well in comparison!

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece
I got it the first time I tried, and it seemed/seems pretty easy to me. I linked a video in my comment that I used to learn how to do it. I put down a cloth to work on since the pieces are pretty small, and if you drop a piece and it bounces off the table and onto the floor it can be a pain to find. You need to pull and wiggle that little bottom piece out, and I had to do that using a bit of my rubber kitchen glove to get a good grip. It's handy that there's the little slot to hold your coil while it's in the jig, screwdriver, or drill bit -- whatever you build your coil on. You can rearrange it a bit to be more centered once you get it all put back together. You just want to make sure it's not going to touch the sides at all. I've used 30 or 28 gauge kanthal so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread