Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Asking for a friend. Actually, a friend of a friend, who is about to retire and wants to cut expenses. He quit smoking years ago and has been vaping some kind of Blu product since. He did figure out how to refill the pods or cartridges or whatever, but he says they're only good for a a very few refills before they become unusable. He got word of the fact that I've been DIY'ing everything "forever" and asked if I could teach him to make his own juice. That's no problem; I gave him a shopping list and told him to stop by when he has that stuff and I'd get him started.

The next thing is going to be getting him some better gear, 'cause resistance wire and wicking are dirt cheap compared to the pods he's buying now (and who knows what their future availability is like). The problem is, I'm set in my ways with vintage (2015-2016) artisanal mech squonkers and have no idea what's currently available.

Anyone got some recommendations?

Are there any smallish, rebuildable, tootle-puffing tanks out there still?

How about mods? Something small, reliable, and takes a single 18650?

TIA!

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Are there any smallish, rebuildable, tootle-puffing tanks out there still?

I have a stash of rebuildable MTL atties but they are not the latest models. Innokin's Ares II is probably the easiest one for a beginner, and comes with everything he may need to get started--prewound coil, a bit of wire, wicking material. But it's not smallish. All my rebuildables are rather big--Dvarws are nice but can be tricky. I also have Hastur MTL (discontinued), Hellvape MD is OK. The rest of my stash is pretty old, like Kayfuns--always reliable. But originals are very expensive.
How about mods? Something small, reliable, and takes a single 18650?

CoolFire Z80 is smallish (for a box mod). I like Aegis Solos, too, but they are big(er).
Anyone got some recommendations?

All I'm using nowadays (and highly recommend) are Innokin Spectre (pod) and Zlide and Zenith II tanks. Unfortunately, they are not rebuildable... But the coils are inexpensive and last a long time. Sorry can't be of more help. I'm sure others will chime in.

Good luck in your search.

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Assuming he wants an RTA, the Innokin Ares 2 or Ares 2 LE (same tank, just different look). These aren't small, per se, but really anything smaller will be a real B to build on anyway. I mean if you compare an RTA to an RDA, then there are very few RTAs that are "small" anyhow.

Chiisaiinu

• Apr 20, 2022
    Tacoma, WA USA
    what about something like a small squonk?
    Wismec Luxotic BF 100W Starter Kit something like this offers a bit of juice storage only a single coil to build, and single battery.
    alternatively check out sites like this for a budget mod and then look around for a decent RTA/RDA

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    what about something like a small squonk?
    Now that I think of it, I have a hardly used Simple-EX as a "truck mod" (kinda like a "truck gun") that I'd be willing to part with. That might not be a terrible place to start. The biggest problem with that is that the battery isn't replaceable, so it's by no means a "lifetime" device.

Chiisaiinu

• Apr 20, 2022
    Tacoma, WA USA
    Now that I think of it, I have a hardly used Simple-EX as a "truck mod" (kinda like a "truck gun") that I'd be willing to part with. That might not be a terrible place to start. The biggest problem with that is that the battery isn't replaceable, so it's by no means a "lifetime" device.
    I mean... it at least gets him/her into the game and they can get a feel for what they like. At the very least I would have been happy to get a cheaper foot into the rebuildable game.

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    @Rossum, if you are feeling generous, give him one of your Pdib's and an RDA then call it a day. I mean, you only have like, what, 20 some?

ZYJh90K.jpg

• Love
    Reactions: Katya

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    Another vote for the Ares in this category. Easy to work with, very forgiving (not "particular" at all), and pretty much never leak.

Not the best for pocket carry, but I think the later versions may have improved in that area too. I only have the original ones, and they're relegated to desk duty (because of the top cap).

NICE little tootlers though, at least for me.

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    but I think the later versions may have improved in that area too. I only have the original ones, and they're relegated to desk duty (because of the top cap).

Just a quick FWIW:

That's my understanding. I never got the Ares v1 because of that very long thread with all kinds of complaints. ;) I have Ares 2 and it's very nice.

Zenith II is also much better than the I. I have both versions. Phil listens and makes changes that people suggest. Very nice of him.

Howdy, DPL! :wub:

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    I'm going to have to also say if I were a mouth to lung vaper who wanted something that was simple and classy looking and not too large I would probably also pick up the Ares two. I wouldn't be surprised if that second version included a lot of the same things that the first version did. I remember being overwhelmed because it included a full Muji cotton sheet resistance wire two different coil jigs and a bunch of other stuff. For that in and of itself could be a great jump off point if it indeed does carry over to the second version.

I also have the vertex I think it's called not the original direct lung but the mouth to lung by I think it's geek vape. It is MTL capable for sure but even I found it a little bit finicky. There's also always the OG doggy style clone or the top filling one That's what I learned how to build on lol

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    There's also always the OG doggy

Oh yes! I forgot the doggy. And its older cousin the ....... (oh, come on, ECF, that's what it's called.) :D

https://www.steam-and-vape.fr/en/rt...:~:text=The ....... is a tank,from 0 to 2,5mm.

There are (were) some nice and inexpensive clones (a lot of them) on Fasttech. But one has to know which one to order. I don't remember. It's been so long.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    Just a quick FWIW:

That's my understanding. I never got the Ares v1 because of that very long thread with all kinds of complaints. ;) I have Ares 2 and it's very nice.

Zenith II is also much better than the I. I have both versions. Phil listens and makes changes that people suggest. Very nice of him.

Howdy, DPL! :wub:

Hi Katya! :):wub:

Oh yes! I forgot the doggy. And its older cousin the ....... (oh, come on, ECF, that's what it's called.) :D

https://www.steam-and-vape.fr/en/rta-rebuildable-tanks/.......-rta-animodz-2547.html#:~:text=The ....... is a tank,from 0 to 2,5mm.

There are (were) some nice and inexpensive clones (a lot of them) on Fasttech. But one has to know which one to order. I don't remember. It's been so long.

I almost mentioned the Dawgs but I think they may have gotten a touch more difficult to get, and they DO have a shelf life. The plastic tanks eventually wear down.

Thankfully I got a truckload of the tank-tops because one family member relies on them. Shocking (the stockpile), I know. ;):lol:

I've heard the Ares 2 are better and fixed that top thingie. I had no need to upgrade but if I WAS buying today, I'd go for the later versions. Thanks for the confirmation!!! :thumbs:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    The Ares 2 topfill cap has a lock on it. That is to say if you use the original drip tip, the tip goes a little further down the cap which stops the cap from sliding open. Use another regular 510 driptip, though, and that "lock" doesn't work so if you lose the OG DT or you just don't like it, you got no locking feature. It also has a membrane over the topfill hole.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    Thanks, folks. Ares II looks very promising, and still available from Element.

Now how about a small mod to put it on, that takes a single 18650?

Innokin Coolfire Z80 80W Box Mod

The black and white are fake (but nice) leather. The gray is a fuzzy type thingie (< technical term). I don't know about the beige but I think it's fuzzy too.

I like the black and white ones a lot.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    Innokin Coolfire Z80 80W Box Mod

The black and white are fake (but nice) leather. The gray is a fuzzy type thingie (< technical term). I don't know about the beige but I think it's fuzzy too.

I like the black and white ones a lot.
    Not laughing at your selection but the very technical professional term of fuzzy type thingie.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread