Need suggestions for a reliable dual 18650 box mod!

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2012
Braga, Portugal
Hey ECF!
So, i'm from Portugal and here, the TPD will be implemented in next 21 of May. Wich means I will not be able to buy stuff online anymore. Before that happens, I want to buy some realiable, high quality dual 18650 box mod. In the moment I have a eVic VTC Mini, a eleaf Pico, a COV Mini Volt and a couple of mech mods. I'm not seeing these mods lasting ages, right?

What I'm looking for is:

- 2 * 18650 batteries;
- Reliable chipset;
- Reliable components (buttons, 510 conector, good painting, etc);
- Good form factor, to be transportable;
- Custom TCR for TC;

I'm aiming for the 200€ price range (you can look in $, i do the conversion later).

The first mod that comes to mind are the VaporFlask SX (200$ here) or the VaporFlask Classic (85$ here). I want TC but I dont need a super accurate device. I want a super reliable device, that will work for the maximum possible time. For example, I know the Classic have the joyetech chipset (wich I have in the VTC Mini and the Eleaf Pico), and I know that it's much inferior than the Yihi, but if the mod itself have the same quality of the SX, I will with the Classic without a problem.

So my questions are:

- Will the SX be that much reliable than the Classic (apart from the Yihi chipset) to justify the 120$ difference?
- What box mods can you suggest that fit in what I'm looking for?

Thanks ECF!

Topweasel

ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2016
Isn't the SX version more of a rework of the DNA version. Meaning it uses the machined aluminum chasis and not the wismec super heavy Zinc chasis? Honestly the way I would look at it think of this as your last device ever. Do you really want to be holden to a never changing joytech chip, with a possibility of a bad 510 pin, and a weird door that hasn't been stress tested out in the field (in normal peoples hands)?

Personally I would if it was my last hardware purchase ever only look at DNA200 devices, the Hohmwrecker G2, or a Yihi 330-v200 and up device. Maybe if I was trying to save some money the Sigelei 213, but I wouldn't count on updates but it has one of the largest built in feature list (which is why I ordered it). But that's if you really want to save some pennies.

Devices that would fit this mold for me.
The Class Q Yihi
The Lavabox (easy to replace battery considered lipo and internal)
VaporFlask SX
VaporShark DNA 200
Efusion Dou DNA200/133 (can use the lipo or 2 18650's)
Homewrecker G2

Well Built devices with a questionable upgrade (or no upgrades) future but cheaper
Sigelei 213
IPV5
Snow Wolf
Vapepresso Tarot (if it's anything like the Target mod this should be well built).

Reactions: danielpm

danielpm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2012
Braga, Portugal
Isn't the SX version more of a rework of the DNA version. Meaning it uses the machined aluminum chasis and not the wismec super heavy Zinc chasis? Honestly the way I would look at it think of this as your last device ever. Do you really want to be holden to a never changing joytech chip, with a possibility of a bad 510 pin, and a weird door that hasn't been stress tested out in the field (in normal peoples hands)?

Personally I would if it was my last hardware purchase ever only look at DNA200 devices, the Hohmwrecker G2, or a Yihi 330-v200 and up device. Maybe if I was trying to save some money the Sigelei 213, but I wouldn't count on updates but it has one of the largest built in feature list (which is why I ordered it). But that's if you really want to save some pennies.

Devices that would fit this mold for me.
The Class Q Yihi
The Lavabox (easy to replace battery considered lipo and internal)
VaporFlask SX
VaporShark DNA 200
Efusion Dou DNA200/133 (can use the lipo or 2 18650's)
Homewrecker G2

Well Built devices with a questionable upgrade (or no upgrades) future but cheaper
Sigelei 213
IPV5
Snow Wolf
Vapepresso Tarot (if it's anything like the Target mod this should be well built).
Great points, thanks! The cons of the dual 18650 DNA devices is that they are big and bulky, and uncomfortable to carry on a pocket. The lavabox is awesome, but I really don't want to go with lipo batteries. The homewrecker seems nice, but is not as tested as the SX350 right?

Topweasel

ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2016
Great points, thanks! The cons of the dual 18650 DNA devices is that they are big and bulky, and uncomfortable to carry on a pocket. The lavabox is awesome, but I really don't want to go with lipo batteries. The homewrecker seems nice, but is not as tested as the SX350 right?

Probably not but it's got a super long warranty and it is probably the most accurate, adjustable, and capable TC mod. Instead of reading resistance it can basically ping the wire (at a crazy refresh rate), its so good about dry hits that Pbusardo thought it was defective when he did TC wick burn testing, because it straight up wouldn't fire without juice on the coil.

danielpm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2012
Braga, Portugal
Off topic, how have you been a member since '12 but your nicoticket says you quit nearly 2 years ago!
Sorry, but I didn't get it. My nicoticket? What is that?

edit: oh I get it, you were talking about the sucram signature. Sorry.

Btw, guys

Efusion Duo vs Vaporflask SX

Which one should I get?

danielpm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2012
Braga, Portugal
Style wise the VF VF-SX but for chip robustness and software support I would say the Duo. So basically I have no idea. I think that the Yihi chip is so close to the Evolv one that I would probably get the Flask. But there is enough difference in approach, execution, and support that you still have to at least consider it.
If my only concerns were the performance and the looks, I would take the VF without think twice. The thing is that the Duo offers so much than the VF! The only point were the VF wins is the ergonomic shape. And the Duo seems so modular, I mean, to me that have eletronic and soldering experience I could easily change the DNA if it dyed out of warranty. With the VF, it's impossible because even the chip is custom made.

This is difficult [emoji28]

rice721

1.21 GigaWatts!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2016
Shanghai

Boxer DNA133 isn't boxy or big, probably the smallest form factor/lightest dual 18650 mod out there running the DNA200 chipset. Not sure if gingervaper ships to your location.

I have the sigelei 213, love that mod. Not sure how reliable sigelei is as some forum members seem to have issues with the fuchai and also the 213 mis-firing. But mine has performed close to flawless after 1 week of usage.

The lavabox is also a nice mod, only con is that the battery screen is made of cheap plastic and scratches easier than any other piece of gear I own.

I just received my first SX350J V2 mod and have to say that its a great chip. The only con I see it having compared to the DNA200 counterpart is that its way too battery hungry and you will experience alot of battery sag once your battery reaches the 50% mark.

Maybe wait for the SX mini Q, but not sure if you'll think its too big for a dua 18650 mod.

danielpm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2012
Braga, Portugal
Boxer DNA133 isn't boxy or big, probably the smallest form factor/lightest dual 18650 mod out there running the DNA200 chipset. Not sure if gingervaper ships to your location.

I have the sigelei 213, love that mod. Not sure how reliable sigelei is as some forum members seem to have issues with the fuchai and also the 213 mis-firing. But mine has performed close to flawless after 1 week of usage.

The lavabox is also a nice mod, only con is that the battery screen is made of cheap plastic and scratches easier than any other piece of gear I own.

I just received my first SX350J V2 mod and have to say that its a great chip. The only con I see it having compared to the DNA200 counterpart is that its way too battery hungry and you will experience alot of battery sag once your battery reaches the 50% mark.

Maybe wait for the SX mini Q, but not sure if you'll think its too big for a dua 18650 mod.
Thanks Rice! The boxer is good looking, but it appears so bulky, not pocket able at all! If the lavabox was not lipo powered, it would be my first choice.. The more I read, the more I like the Efusion Duo [emoji28]

rice721

1.21 GigaWatts!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2016
Shanghai
Thanks Rice! The boxer is good looking, but it appears so bulky, not pocket able at all! If the lavabox was not lipo powered, it would be my first choice.. The more I read, the more I like the Efusion Duo [emoji28]

The efusion would def be on my to buy list if I were to need another DNA200 device. I can see why the boxer would appear to be bulky. Whichever you choose I'm sure you'll enjoy it :)

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    I own three different ones at different price points. The Boxer 350J uses 2x18650 and has been very reliable. While some have issues with the 510 and longer pinned tanks the Cuboid is fairly inexpensive and reliable. Last but not least is the IPV4S. While many had issues with the IPV4, the "S" version fixed the issues and offers a reliable (abet large) mod.

Then there's the iStick TC100, it gets plenty of love in the forum.

There are a bunch of options out there, it all depends on how much you wish to spend.

rice721

1.21 GigaWatts!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 26, 2016
    Shanghai
    I own three different ones at different price points. The Boxer 350J uses 2x18650 and has been very reliable. While some have issues with the 510 and longer pinned tanks the Cuboid is fairly inexpensive and reliable. Last but not least is the IPV4S. While many had issues with the IPV4, the "S" version fixed the issues and offers a reliable (abet large) mod.

Then there's the iStick TC100, it gets plenty of love in the forum.

There are a bunch of options out there, it all depends on how much you wish to spend.

The Boxer whether SX350J V1 or V2 are both very reliable mods. I have the SX350J V2 and other than being power hungrier than the DNA200 its a very nice chip being able to setup all the details right from the mod itself. Its shorter than the vaporshark 200, it appears bulky in pictures but the form factor is simply amazing and the weight is featherlight.

The Cuboid, as mentioned in the above quoted post, does have some 510 issues but for $30 shipped I am not complaining. It is on the heavier side so I do not see myself pocketing this.

The Sig213 is also a solid mod with a great form factor (smaller than vaporshark 200), semi light-weight 150g without batteries. Love the screen and the menu is easy to navigate / set up.

The Boxer DNA133 is also a great 2 battery mod.

Had to chime in, I get excited when it comes to small dual battery box mods :)

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Funny thing is, if your looking for something other than a single 18650 your doing it for ether more power or more battery life or both.

Even back in the day while 'toodle puffing' at 10W I could only get 5-8hrs out of a 18650. Fast forward to today and subohm TC builds that even when built to virtually sip the power, the single battery mods will last about as long as I was getting before.

Sadly, outside of a few distinct models most dual 18650 mods are not very pocketable - IE: I like to carry my mod and my cell phone in my shirts breast pocket. If I can't get both to fit, it ain't the cell phone that gets the boot!

I've gone from single battery mods to duals and back to singles - in the form of 26650 mods. To be its all about the 'Holy Grail' of pocketable all day battery life.

Sure, many mods have USB charging where I can use passthrough charging while in the car and just plug in when at home or at work to charge. Murphy's law always plays a factor and I end up with a dead battery and no way to charge it.

I can get all three dual battery mods to last all day and the same goes with my three 26650 mods.

rice721

1.21 GigaWatts!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 26, 2016
    Shanghai
    Sadly, outside of a few distinct models most dual 18650 mods are not very pocketable - IE: I like to carry my mod and my cell phone in my shirts breast pocket. If I can't get both to fit, it ain't the cell phone that gets the boot!
    I lol'd a bit with this one.

Actually, if you're familiar with the form factor of the vaporshark dna 200-IMHO very pocketable mod but 3s lipo.

88mm x 48 x 24 @ 170grams (according to pbusardo's video).

The boxer DNA133 or SX350j V2 measures in at

80.5mm x 41.4 x 40 with batteries its still a tad lighter than the VS DNA200

So its just 1.6cm thicker than the VS but shorter & narrower, and with this mod you can fit any atty <=25mm in diameter.

I know I'm sounding kinda biased right now but I really love their mods as I have 3 of them already.

And to add to the sigelei 213 its measurements are

88mm x 44 x 28 @ roughly 150grams without batteries.

[edit] According to Eciggity the Efusion duo measures in at

90mm x 56 x 26

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread