Status
Not open for further replies.

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
@LoveVanilla - you can get a Asmodus Oni DNA250 for $54.95 shipped at VaporRange. Link is:

Oni 167W DNA250 TC Mod

They only have it in gold. I have the rainbow version of it and have been very pleased at the value for the price. It's not what you'd call a good looking mod -- it's a box and a fingerprint magnet -- but the build quality is solid. It has a max 167 watt when run as a dual 18650, but it's designed so that it's easy to take out the battery tray and put in a lipo so you can hit the full 250 watts. I'm happy with 167w, so I run mine in as a dual 18650.

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
Sprang for lost vape LVE Paranormal DNA250C in PASSION SCARLET - Gunmetal / Black Grey Kevlar for $149 at Element Vape. More than wanted to spend, no coupon, and not first color choice -- but a very good looking mod none the less. And as fast as it's selling thought it might be my only chance. I'm sure I will be happy with it. Thanks guys

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Sprang for Lost Vape LVE Paranormal DNA250C in PASSION SCARLET - Gunmetal / Black Grey Kevlar for $149 at Element Vape. More than wanted to spend, no coupon, and not first color choice -- but a very good looking mod none the less. And as fast as it's selling thought it might be my only chance. I'm sure I will be happy with it. Thanks guys

Excellent choice – you’ll be happy with it.

Make sure you download the Escribe software from the Evolv website. Choose the International version – The US version prevents new features to be added due to some law…I do not know the details behind that. But both versions will work with your device.

After installation and connecting your device to the computer, Escribe will check if you have the latest Service Pack (Firmware) and inform you if you wish to install it should yours not be the latest. You do not have to install the new Service Pack, but probably advisable.

Link to the software (mid page).

EVOLV - Home

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
@DarrenMG, it's just the way that the 250 implements TC over the 250C is supposed to be much more refined.

From off the top of my head I remember that it samples the resistance much more often. And I'm sure that if you look into it further you'll be able to find out even more.

The 250C really introduced Replay and a colour screen, and I think that TC suffered a little because of this.

• Informative
Reactions: LoveVanilla

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
@Mordacai - There could be something to that, a sampling rate difference. The difference is below my level my threshold of awareness, but that doesn't mean others cannot notice. I am going to make a guess here that if the sampling rate is lower on the 250c, it's because Replay does not require the user to explicitly 'record' the last puff. It's always recording if a TC capable coil is used. Perhaps recording the extra data needed for replay uses enough extra processing time that they had to lower the sampling rate.

Again though, it's below my personal threshold of experience. My HCigar VT167 (DNA 250), and the Paranormal (DNA 250c) both provide a consistent TC experience for me when dripping. Replay works quite well too, though as you wrote, it's not absolutely need.

Both are better than any other mod I own at TC, though the YiHi Q class comes close. Unfortunately, my YiHi mod also makes that awful buzzing in TC mode, a known issue with the pulse width modulation technique YiHi chose. The buzz kills my buzz ;)

p.s. The C board adds one more plus. A sane human intuitive menu system thanks to a 3rd control button. There is a good reason why it's easy to find cheat sheets for the 250, because not all of us can remember all the weird button presses you need to remember to adjust all the settings ;)

• Agree
Reactions: TrollDragon

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Temperature control is about maintaining a goal resistance. The device will cycle resistance as it rises and will modulate power once the goal resistance is met according to your prescribed temperature and TCR value. The amount of resistance cycling does play an important role, but there are points of diminishing returns.

Replay is about maintaining a preferred puff. It too requires resistance to be monitored in an exact fashion as temp control. So the cycling of resistance is just as important, if not even more so. Reply captures a resistance curve when you save your puff, and mimics that curve exactly for every additional puff and does so by cycling the resistance and modulating power. Temp control does not mimic a resistance curve, it maintains a goal resistance. The power curve for Temp Control will apply your prescribed amount of power until the goal resistance is met, then modulate down. Replay applies what ever power is needed to mimic the captured resistance curve.

I have not seen any claims that the 250 board is vastly superior to the 250c, nor have I seen any claims that it cycles resistance at a higher rate. I would think with the introduction of Replay, there would be more importance given to cycling resistance.

I have seen many claims that the 250 board was a great improvement over the 200 board.

Below is a plot of Replay in action. The flat purple line is the cold resistance of the coil read at 0.214 ohms. The purple curve above is the live resistance. The green is power. The live resistance curve will be mimicked in both peak resistance 0.248 ohms, and the rate it increases every time and is done so by modulating power. And as we can see from the power curve, it has gone as low as 65 watts to as high as 119 watts in order to mimic the replay resistance curve.

This is a dual Fused Clapton coil SS316L build. And if wondering how hot the coils are when 119 watts are applied. A +0.034 ohm increase from a cold resistance of 0.214 with a TCR value of 0.0088 = 205°C or 401°F

Replay.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DarrenMG

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
FYI, I picked up a couple Solo's for out and about. Their TC has been just excellent; maybe best I've used (though no DNA or Yihi). Thought about going with a Legend for dual 18650 but read Solo's chipset had been updated from the Legend, so wasn't sure what to expect. Anyway, the Solo has been excellent to date, and, given durable design, guessing this may continue. If so, highly recommend this mod. At the price point, don't know of anything that's better. Good battery life too.

I’ve had decent luck with the ageis legend between 12-30w in TC using SS. I wouldn’t call it great but it seems to function adequately for me. I’ve never noticed this instability you speak of one way or the other though so this opinion may have little value.[/QUOTE]

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I have a HCigar VT75D that I have used all day every day for 2 years in TC mode with no issues. This was before Replay was added though so I can't speak to how Replay does or does not affect TC. This mod would probably suit the OP perfectly and usually cost less than $100, but they are getting really hard to find. I liked mine enough to buy 3 more as backups which currently remain unopened.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
@LoveVanilla, I know that the Aegis X has an updated chipset and also the Aegis Squonker. But I'm waiting to see if @Geekvape_Official could put in a nice word or two here and there for a 21700 version of the Aegis Squonker to be produced.

@DarrenMG, sounds like rattle snaking. It happens with YiHi chipsets, it can be fixed by adjusting the Joules. Just use them exactly the same as Watts.

Could I ask the resistance of your atomiser on your Q class and what metal you're using as well? We may be able to improve things somewhat.

Reactions: oldude 61

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
@Mordacai - Ah it's no worries, but my RDA builds are in the 0.15 to 0.20 ohm range, good old SS316 for TC use. I have far more mods then I need, so the YiHi has also gone into the backup bin. It's a nice enough mod, but at this point I am only using 3 mods regularly -

Jackaroo - Garage, outdoor use. Tank use.

Rage by Ohm Boy - Squonk mod. Profile RDA with the mesh coil. I have 10 extra meshes, I might buy some more while I can.

Paranormal - For use with a couple of RDAs, TC mode dripping, for those expensive juices I enjoy but in smaller quantities. My DNA 250 mod has gone into the backup box now.

And then a couple of Pods with 35mg nic salt for when I need a nicotine rush.

I am just debating if I should buy a few more backup mods before the May 2020 deadline.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
No worries @DarrenMG, thanks for that.

Thinking around 93 Joules for 0.15 ohm to 70 Joules for 0.20 ohm, I used Watt Calculator for Android to get an idea and it's pretty reasonable for getting you in the goldilocks range.

But that rattlesnaking is annoying.

But yeah, it's worth considering getting some mods on the cheap with the climate the way it is in the US with vaping.

• Agree
Reactions: DarrenMG

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
But yeah, it's worth considering getting some mods on the cheap with the climate the way it is in the US with vaping.

Yes, and unfortunately with our ludicrous deeming regulations looming, I am not sure what the sweet spot is on pricing, but as it gets closer inventory that remains may run low and become more expensive.

Good to see the UK has taken a more intelligent approach.

Reactions: Mordacai

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
There is no TC sensing circuit. Temperature Control is all about reading the rise in resistance as the coil heats up. Once the resistance matches your prescribed temperature based on the TCR value, the device adjusts power to maintain that resistance
I agree, however the sensing circuit used is a guess...typical 4 element resistive temperature sensing circuits use a balanced resistive bridge configuration with the coil and variable TRC components forming the bridge combined with 2 static components. Power is cut when the bridge is balanced, all components...bar the coil are selected for temperature stability. The TCR value is selected to define the coil response range. Wet gunk on the coil surface will no doubt create resistance variations, wattage mode would of course be a constant and not subject to such a variation.
I call this temperature sensing only because this is the term used in by the mod maker...resistive sensing is the result.

Last edited:

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Only slightly more intelligent @DarrenMG, folks still give you unprompted and unsolicited lectures and you can only get Nicotine containing liquids at a whopping 20mg/ml in massive 10ml bottles.

There's still a lot of work to be done. Dodgy studies and unethical media reporting doesn't help. :(

Logic has gone off the rails here Mordacai. I wish it wasn't so, but this is what happens when people value politicians for their charisma over those boring (but honest) scientists ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread