Need suggestions for a starter squonker/atty

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadiVape

Feb 10, 2016
Hi all!

I've gotten to the point in my vaping life where nothing beats my rda. I have a wismec rx200 with a wotofo Sapor sitting on top of it and it's all I use anymore. I have tried countless tanks, most recently are the crown and Griffin.

I'm not a fan of my crown, or rather its not a fan of me and my viscous sweet VG liquids. I like my Griffin but it also has a tough time wicking consistently with said liquids. I find the only thing I can get a consistent flavor/nic hit is with my Sapor.

But of course, it has its downsides. I have to stop several times a day to fill up with a mil or so, and often find myself trying to plan out when I can drip without wasting too much time at work. I even find myself doing double duty in my bathroom breaks just to get my flavor fix. My bosses are cool with it since I no longer stink like smoke, but I don't want to push my luck any longer.

OKAY! Bottom line: I am looking to get into the squonk parade. I like to build in the 0.3 - 0.5 range, dual coil @ roughly 60 watts. I use either 24ga ss316l, 26/32 clapton or 28ga kanthal. I like doing spaced coils so a roomy build deck is preferred (velocity style pls) preferably leak resistant, top airflow but if not I'm not worried too much.

For a squonker I'd like a dual 18650 or so with a minimum of 100w (I need battery life to last me at least 12 hours due to two jobs @ 60w). Needs to be variable wattage/voltage and tc isn't a big concern to me, since I have my rx200. Wood would be nice but metal is fine.

I'm not buying anything right away, probably in the next month or two so the list can include upcoming mods/attys. My budget is under 200 bucks, I'd like it close to the hundred dollar range but from what I have seen they can get pretty pricey.

I'd appreciate everyone's thoughts and opinions on the matter.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Ross is a modder that buys them stock, and does the conversion.
    The positive post also requires a drilled drain hole.
    You could send your Sapor into Ross, for conversion.
    Fatdaddy Vapes carries 2.5 and 3mm BF pins that need to be trimmed to length.
    Catfish Addy Mods (ECF supplier also) does great conversions.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    For a squonker I'd like a dual 18650 or so with a minimum of 100w (I need battery life to last me at least 12 hours due to two jobs @ 60w). Needs to be variable wattage/voltage and tc isn't a big concern to me, since I have my rx200. Wood would be nice but metal is fine.

1msfU.gif

fishwater

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 22, 2015
    New Hampshire
    Okay let me rephrase... I want something that can get the job done. Keep in mind, I don't know much about these things, and I'm merely asking for advice.

I think the reason most of us are silent is because we are waiting for the same thing in the squonker world. Unfortunately at this time it is still a tiny segment of a tiny market so unless you go to one off custom mods or Italian modders there isn't a lot of choice. Currently there are no dual 18650 squonk boxes over the 100w that are mass produced. The closest thing we have at the moment that is regulated & easily accessible is the SteamCrave squonk box. It's a good mod, I own one & besides the poor battery performance it works well. Since it's a single 18650 you can swap at will to make it through the day.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Right, there's been essentially nothing in the squonk world that's truly mass-produced, and regulated squonk mods are quite rare. Squonk mods and atties have been something of a niche market.

Now Kanger did just introduce the Dripbox, but it's a single 18650 and it's not regulated. It's also dirt cheap and will fire down to at least 0.2 ohms. There are a couple of threads about it and some video reviews, but its clear that the reviews to date were done by people who don't really grok squonking.

CanadiVape

Feb 10, 2016
    Okay thank you for the clarification. It looks like I'm going to have to go the unregulated route if I'm to get anything I'm looking for.

I can understand why its niche, though. It was basically the answer before rta took over. Even still I think it's genius, and I think I can see it growing in popularity in the future, especially since the big cats are looking to regulate tank size by a ton.

CanadiVape

Feb 10, 2016
    Squonking seems to be the hipster class of vaping. It hasn't gone mainstream yet and when it does I bet you'll all hate it. I guess I could consider myself one but rest assured that's what it'll come to.

Plus squonk mods are usually meticulously hand crafted, needs modified attys and are a touch more expensive than mainstream regulated triple battery tc 200w mods with dna chipsets and bottle openers.

Plus squonk is a fun word to say and most people don't like fun.

Squonk.

Reactions: TraderX

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Squonking seems to be the hipster class of vaping. It hasn't gone mainstream yet and when it does I bet you'll all hate it.
    Nah, we'll just point out that we were doing it LONG before it was cool. :p

Plus squonk is a fun word to say and most people don't like fun.
    Fun is good! :banana:

Train2

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 11, 2013
    CA, USA
    So, not a perfect match for what you want - and there are a few options that might be closer...but still - let me steer you in case you haven't considered them, to a VERY well respected squonker line.
    These are all mechanical - but a lot of us LOVE 'em.
    You can pop that Bottom Feed Sapor on one, or shop the clone BF atties right on the site.
    You can get a "budget" device for about $130, or drop a little over $200 for lovingly crafted wood, or the latest version.

Reosmods. (again - these are mechs. There are some regulated squonkers coming soon, I think...but not many, and so far they're all pricey)

all4-m2-jpg.536877

CanadiVape

Feb 10, 2016
    So, not a perfect match for what you want - and there are a few options that might be closer...but still - let me steer you in case you haven't considered them, to a VERY well respected squonker line.
    These are all mechanical - but a lot of us LOVE 'em.
    You can pop that Bottom Feed Sapor on one, or shop the clone BF atties right on the site.
    You can get a "budget" device for about $130, or drop a little over $200 for lovingly crafted wood, or the latest version.

Reosmods. (again - these are mechs. There are some regulated squonkers coming soon, I think...but not many, and so far they're all pricey)

all4-m2-jpg.536877
    Ah yes, I've done some reading on the reo... Beautiful mods, no doubt. Whether or not it's my taste, it's hard to say. I might just take the time and try to craft a regulated squonker myself someday...

Not trying to offend here, I know that reonauts stand by their product. It's just for the price and what I need vs. what I'll get is a little outweighed at the moment.

Reactions: Train2

subwayaznm

A Geek with a Cool slice
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2016
    USA
    I just got one of those Vapor Shark Squonkers and only 40 Watts but I really like it. And trouble free. But then again costly.
    But for what you're looking to do; REOMODS is your answer. Straight power off the battery will bring the endless clouds you seek along with a good Coil Build

CanadiVape

Feb 10, 2016
    A idea that came to me after reading OP is a 1590b with a triple 18650 sled and a raptor 120w board. You'd only need two of the battery slots for the raptor and you could use the other one for a sqounk bottle, though it would probably be a squeeze to get it all in there.
    Yeah I was thinking of something like that for the rx200... Take out the third battery and move the 510 to over that spot and put the juice bottle in there... Doesn't sound all that safe though with the batteries in such close proximity of the juice...

I think maybe that was someone else's idea though. But tbh the best way to make something like that is to start from the ground up. Making sure the chipset and batteries are kept separate from the juice bottle and still keeping it fairly ergonomic (without being *sigh* a perfect rectangle).

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread