Need tank recomendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtreynolds

Dec 4, 2014
After some solid advice from here I decided on a Paranormal DNA250C for my box.

While I used up the coils for my Crown II I started researching tanks. I finally settled on the Fireluke Pro after reading good reviews. It took a while to find one in stock and I ordered one with 3 boxes of SS316L coils to take advantage of temp control. That's where my last month of frustration started.

After priming the installed coil and getting the wattage adjusted I was pretty happy. I was able to vape at 55W (I mix my juice at 90/10 PG/VG). The vape was great, but a few minutes in I had juice running down my hand coming from the airflow ports. So after a little Googling I found a few suggestions to try.

First I mixed a batch of 50/50. The only thing that changed was the juice running down my hand is now stickier and I had to up the wattage to the 65-70 range.

The next try was disassembling and checking all the gaskets. After reassembly, the same results.

Today I just tried replacing all the gaskets and the glass with the extra shipped with it. Still leaking through.

At this point, I'm guessing either I have a bad tank or it these were designed with max VG juice in mind.

So what I'm looking for is a tank that does temp control, has prebuilt coils, and plays nice with high PG juice. My lungs don't appreciate high VG juice. I didn't mind the Crown II, but the temp control was iffy and any time I got over 15-20W I would get dry hits. Any advice would be appreciated.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
These coils are SS316L:

Eleaf HW1 SS316L Replacement Coils

And they'll work in this tank:

Advken OWL Mesh Sub-Ohm Tank | Vape Tanks

It's a top air tank and will greatly reduce leaking. However, at high PG ratios, you may experience some flooding/gurgling. You're right... most stock coils are designed with a 70VG/30PG (or higher) ratio in mind as that seems to be the most common ratio in commercial e-liquid.

Honestly, if you really want to run PG ratios that high, I strongly urge you to look into rebuildables. Not only can you adjust your wicking to allow for thinner juices, but you can tailor your build to really zero in on the flavor and vapor production you want. It's really not that difficult on today's RTAs... and pre-wrapped coils can be purchased as well. The process - once learned and practiced - will take no more than 10 minutes every couple days at most (unless you get really involved and it becomes an hobby/obsession). It's worth it for the savings (pennies per coil instead of dollars), the options, and - for me - a moment of zen as I install and adjust a new build to get it just right.

rtreynolds

Dec 4, 2014
Thank you for the info Shawn. I would consider rebuildables, but I don't have enough free time nor patience to pick that up right now.

I don't mind some juice coming through, but the design of the Fireluke doesn't allow for it at all. What I mean is on the Crown II there's a distinct bowl area under the coil that allowed for some accumulation before it would come pouring out the air inlets. Every morning when I would fill it, I would take the coil out and mop up the little bit of juice that accumulated in the bottom. That wasn't too bad to deal with, but having every bit that makes it through the coil running out is beyond aggravating.

I saw some older posts about high PG juice and there were recommendations for the Nautilus. Does anyone have any opinions on the Nautilus or Nautilus 2?

Reactions: stols001

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Thank you for the info Shawn. I would consider rebuildables, but I don't have enough free time nor patience to pick that up right now.

I don't mind some juice coming through, but the design of the Fireluke doesn't allow for it at all. What I mean is on the Crown II there's a distinct bowl area under the coil that allowed for some accumulation before it would come pouring out the air inlets. Every morning when I would fill it, I would take the coil out and mop up the little bit of juice that accumulated in the bottom. That wasn't too bad to deal with, but having every bit that makes it through the coil running out is beyond aggravating.

I saw some older posts about high PG juice and there were recommendations for the Nautilus. Does anyone have any opinions on the Nautilus or Nautilus 2?

I have a nautilus and a Nauti X, and I always used 50/50 with no trouble. But I don’t think they’re anything to write home about.

I think there are better ones now. I have the Zenith and like that one. I don’t use it much, because I mostly use dl RBAs.

Zenith Sub-ohm Tank by Innokin

But others will probably have better recommendations.

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    I have a nautilus and a Nauti X, and I always used 50/50 with no trouble. But I don’t think they’re anything to write home about.

I think there are better ones now. I have the Zenith and like that one. I don’t use it much, because I mostly use dl RBAs.

Zenith Sub-ohm Tank by Innokin

But others will probably have better recommendations.

No temperature control with the Zenith, Kanthal coils:)

RC23111

Jul 25, 2019
    These coils are SS316L:

Eleaf HW1 SS316L Replacement Coils

And they'll work in this tank:

Advken OWL Mesh Sub-Ohm Tank | Vape Tanks

It's a top air tank and will greatly reduce leaking. However, at high PG ratios, you may experience some flooding/gurgling. You're right... most stock coils are designed with a 70VG/30PG (or higher) ratio in mind as that seems to be the most common ratio in commercial e-liquid.

Honestly, if you really want to run PG ratios that high, I strongly urge you to look into rebuildables. Not only can you adjust your wicking to allow for thinner juices, but you can tailor your build to really zero in on the flavor and vapor production you want. It's really not that difficult on today's RTAs... and pre-wrapped coils can be purchased as well. The process - once learned and practiced - will take no more than 10 minutes every couple days at most (unless you get really involved and it becomes an hobby/obsession). It's worth it for the savings (pennies per coil instead of dollars), the options, and - for me - a moment of zen as I install and adjust a new build to get it just right.

Dude, I feel your pain. I needed a larger tank for a new mod that I bought. I started with the Horizon Falcon because it got great reviews. That thing leaked like a sieve no matter what I tried, and like you I went to the internet to see what I could do that could possibly help. After a while, I gave up on it and chalked it up to a learning experience that cost me nearly $50 (with replacement coils). Recently, I saw a review for the Uwell Crown IV with a byline that read, "NEVER LEAKS." I was so excited and ordered one (too hastily) from DirectVapor. Even in their little warranty booklet it claims to not leak. No lie, within 4 days it was leaking juice through the air slots like it was a slow faucet. Hey, we all get bad coils now and again. Cleaned it up, replaced the coil, made sure everything was tight enough - within two days, leaking again. I sent two e-mails to Uwell's "service support" address and no one has even acknowledged that I sent anything. DirectVapor has not been much better. I was surprised they actually posted my review of it on their site, but they are not replying. I bought replacement coils with it (as usual) and they didn't even send me the right ones. I have since sent those back and am awaiting. Meanwhile, it looks like another $35 wasted on a tank that claims one thing and gives you something completely different. So, be very wary about reviews - I have learned the hard way. I know that there are a lot of SMOK haters out there, but I bit the bullet last week and bought a SMOK Prince TVF12, which is something I should have done from the beginning. I have a smaller mod with the Baby Prince on it and had no issues, which is essentially what I used all of the time because the other leaked. So far, so good. SMOK makes a reliable product and I would recommend it. I cannot speak to a lot of brands, but I can tell you to stay away from Uwell and Horizon.

Bob Carpenter

Dec 9, 2016
    I just changed to Falcon King from a Uwell crown1 that I used for four years..Been using the Falcon for six days..Neither tank leaks,Always 50/50,but am now using some 70/30 also..With the Falcon king gotta be sure to screw the glass quit snug..Not so much with higher VG..There absolutely is more flavor with the Falcon King..I'm using the M dual coils..That ole crown is a great tank also..B..

Steve W Pedersen

ECF Veteran
    Nov 11, 2011
    bakersfield,ca
    long time fireluke mesh pro user here, every time i have had leaking issues it was me thinking that the coil was properly screwed in to the bottom half of the tank, no so . Now when it feels like it properly seated I know to give it an extra 1/4th turn or so. hope this helps. since I have started doing this have had no leaking issues.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread