Need to mix some juice, scales broke!

Status
Not open for further replies.

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
100mg 100%VG nic, 30ml bottles, I want to make 30ml.

Sorry to get back to you so much later- fell asleep last night and have been running allday.

I think the easiest way to completely eyeball things is to work by successive half-dilutions. That's going to be pretty tricky if you're going from 100mg to 6mg, and you only want to make 30 mills in a 30 mill bottle.

If you have any implement (like a dropper) that, when full, is around, but less than 1/16th or 1/17th of 30 mills you can just fill it once with nic, add it to a bottle, and then fill it 16 or 17 more times with PG or VG, depending on the PG/VG ratio you want. That should get you about 6mg juice. Because you're filling it all the way you shouldn't be off by _that_ much.

Andromendous

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2014
Oklahoma, USA
Sorry to get back to you so much later- fell asleep last night and have been running allday.

I think the easiest way to completely eyeball things is to work by successive half-dilutions. That's going to be pretty tricky if you're going from 100mg to 6mg, and you only want to make 30 mills in a 30 mill bottle.

If you have any implement (like a dropper) that, when full, is around, but less than 1/16th or 1/17th of 30 mills you can just fill it once with nic, add it to a bottle, and then fill it 16 or 17 more times with PG or VG, depending on the PG/VG ratio you want. That should get you about 6mg juice. Because you're filling it all the way you shouldn't be off by _that_ much.
No worries, I've got some 3ml pipettes which are marked, so I think they will do for now. But I do keep my nic in a 30ml glass droppr bottle, so when I do mix with my scales I can just pull out some with the dropper, makes it real easy, if I remember correctly, I think it takes 2 or 3 full droppers to come out to 1.1g or whatever 6mg is I forget. Well, Im actually used to making lots of 15ml "tests" which is why I know it takes 1.1ish ml of my nic. The recipe calculator also lists drops so I guess I could also try that, It says 36 drops for what I'm wanting, however, this glass dropper lays some pretty big drops, so maybe I could do half(18) drops, and worse case it comes out less then 6mg, like 3 or 4 which I'm perfectly fine with.

Reactions: stols001

Fiestylillady

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2017
USA
Thank goodness for this post. Order nic to mix for the first time. Ordered a scale because I've read it's more accurate/ easier but the scale is wacky. Put the empty container on scale reads 0 no matter what measurement the scale uses(first time using it). I thought the tare function was kicking in because if I took it off it would be negative.. like -9 for example. Tried a batch dropping the flavor first and scale won't measure it. I finally measured what it said to be 30ml and used and app to calculate the rest by drops. But for pretried recipes is there an app for this? I do have some syringes otw with the nic though but a little nervous about mixing the nic now. I currently use premixed nic/vg/pg @3mg. I have 100nic otw. ☹

Fiestylillady

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2017
USA
Thank goodness for this post. Order nic to mix for the first time. Ordered a scale because I've read it's more accurate/ easier but the scale is wacky. Put the empty container on scale reads 0 no matter what measurement the scale uses(first time using it). I thought the tare function was kicking in because if I took it off it would be negative.. like -9 for example. Tried a batch dropping the flavor first and scale won't measure it. I finally measured what it said to be 30ml and used and app to calculate the rest by drops. But for pretried recipes is there an app for this? I do have some syringes otw with the nic though but a little nervous about mixing the nic now. I currently use premixed nic/vg/pg @3mg. I have 100nic otw. ☹
I mean an app with recipes already built in btw. I've been plugging the recipes I to my app. I was hoping an app with recipes already made up tried/tested. Maybe searchale by the ingredients I have.

• Agree

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
@Fiestylillady, what device do you want the app to run on; Apple, Android, Mac, Windows, Google, or??? It can make a difference (not all apps work across multiple platforms).

Also, which scale did you buy (model/mfg.)? Maybe someone is familiar with yours and can help you get it working.

• Useful

Fiestylillady

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2017
USA
@Fiestylillady, what device do you want the app to run on; Apple, Android, Mac, Windows, Google, or??? It can make a difference (not all apps work across multiple platforms).

Also, which scale did you buy (model/mfg.)? Maybe someone is familiar with yours and can help you get it working.
Should of mentioned that. Sry. I use android but can also use pc.
Link to the one I purchase
Dr.meter Digital Kitchen Food Scale, Food Grade Stainless Steel Weight Cooking Scale,11lb/5kg, DKS20 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071F3JK95/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_taa_QTDRAbSM5CK1V

Im starting to wonder if I made an error with with scale. It said down to 1 gram..I thought it was. 01. I will need to double check this but 30ml. Not accurate or 500ml water bottle.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Link to the one I purchase
Dr.meter Digital Kitchen Food Scale, Food Grade Stainless Steel Weight Cooking Scale,11lb/5kg, DKS20 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071F3JK95/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_taa_QTDRAbSM5CK1V

Im starting to wonder if I made an error with with scale. It said down to 1 gram..I thought it was. 01. I will need to double check this but 30ml. Not accurate or 500ml water bottle.
Yeah; I am afraid, if the description is correct, that one is not going to work for DIY. 1.0 g resolution is not sensitive enough for the small amounts we measure by when DIYing. I would see about returning it; or keeping it for kitchen use.

Make sure you get a scale with 500gm capacity; and 0.01gm resolution. @Capt.shay has compiled a great intro to mixing by weight here. He also includes links to a couple of useful, DIY proven scales. This one, also from Amazon, is a perennial favorite. (it also happens to be the one he is using in his photos) The second one he recommends is the one I use; but it has a bit more of a learning curve, so if you want easy-peazy, stick with the first one.

As for DIY calculator apps:
I don't use any Android calculator apps; so I will leave those suggestions to others.

For Windows options; the only thing I can think of, that has recipes already attached to it, is E-Liquid Recipes on-line calculator and database. (Sorry; ECF does not allow links, URLs, or web addresses to ELR's website. Just google e-liquid recipes and it will be the very first result.).

Because it is on-line; you can run it on any devise that has internet access. Sign up for a free account, read the tutorial, and input the flavors you have. It can then search its recipe database and tell you which recipes you can make. DISCLAIMER: the recipes run the entire spectrum (horrible to impressive). be sure to read the descriptions and reviews. Always start with small batches.

As ELR is kind of a direct competitor of ECF; I try to keep my own ELR discussion to a minimum, out of respect to ECF. ELR has its own forum, so use it for assistance, to get the most out of your experience.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I agree that a good scale makes DIY easy and accurate. I use dropper bottles for my 100mg/ml NIC and pipettes for PG and VG. Flavor drops come from the bottles that they are shipped in.

The $30 investment in the American Weigh Scales LB-501 has worked great for me. It's a good scale that comes with an AC adapter and a bowl to contain spills.

crammit442

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2011
Alabama
I know this is old thread, but after reading it I thought I'd share my opinion (for what it's worth). I mix a number of different chemicals regularly at work (prosthetics & orthotics). I have the technical and MSDS info for everything. Without that info, there's really no possible way to mix accurately. I'm strongly of the opinion that with DIY liquids, you'll never have a way to give each ingredient the values required to mix by weight. W/o knowing the specific gravity of each component, you're just assuming that all parts are equal in weight. Most of the things I have to mix for work have the data listed for mixing by weight or volume. Most are relatively close, but some are significantly different when mixed by volume vs weight. Mixing by volume with graduated pipettes or syringes will always give you accurate portion percentages (by volume). If a flavor or other ingredient (VG/PG nic) is intended to be mixed by weight, the manufacturer should include recommended percentages by weight. Realistically, the values are probably similar enough to get by, but will likely be different than each other. The reason automotive paints are mixed in graduated cups is that the mfgs know that very few painters have a scale with enough resolution to accurately measure by weight. They do include those values and ratios for those that do. Since juice ingredients are available in different carriers (VG/PG vs alcohol) the percentage values for mixing by weight vs volume are probably quite different. It's obviously close enough because a number of people use weight to mix and like the results. It's just my opinion that mixing by volume will give more accurate and repeatable results. I think the same thing is even more true when attempting to mix by counting drops from a bottle. The different viscosities of ingredients makes counting drops a badly subjective way of mixing. One man's drop could be another's teaspoon. Just my opinion.
Charles

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I know this is old thread, but after reading it I thought I'd share my opinion (for what it's worth). I mix a number of different chemicals regularly at work (prosthetics & orthotics). I have the technical and MSDS info for everything. Without that info, there's really no possible way to mix accurately. I'm strongly of the opinion that with DIY liquids, you'll never have a way to give each ingredient the values required to mix by weight. W/o knowing the specific gravity of each component, you're just assuming that all parts are equal in weight. Most of the things I have to mix for work have the data listed for mixing by weight or volume. Most are relatively close, but some are significantly different when mixed by volume vs weight. Mixing by volume with graduated pipettes or syringes will always give you accurate portion percentages (by volume). If a flavor or other ingredient (VG/PG nic) is intended to be mixed by weight, the manufacturer should include recommended percentages by weight. Realistically, the values are probably similar enough to get by, but will likely be different than each other. The reason automotive paints are mixed in graduated cups is that the mfgs know that very few painters have a scale with enough resolution to accurately measure by weight. They do include those values and ratios for those that do. Since juice ingredients are available in different carriers (VG/PG vs alcohol) the percentage values for mixing by weight vs volume are probably quite different. It's obviously close enough because a number of people use weight to mix and like the results. It's just my opinion that mixing by volume will give more accurate and repeatable results. I think the same thing is even more true when attempting to mix by counting drops from a bottle. The different viscosities of ingredients makes counting drops a badly subjective way of mixing. One man's drop could be another's teaspoon. Just my opinion.
Charles
Specific gravity are known values for pg and vg and can be found in ecf's diy section under cap't thread mixing by weight.
Just plug those values into your mixing calculator.
:)

Last edited:
  • Agree

crammit442

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2011
Alabama
Specific gravity are known values for pg and vg and can be found in ecf's diy section under cap't thread mixing by weight.

Thanks for the info. I hadn't noticed that option in the calculator. If the values given are accurate then I'd agree that mix by weight (assuming a high resolution scale) is actually a viable option. In reality, measuring by volume is only more accurate in that when you mix a 30ml bottle of juice, you actually end up w/30ml of juice. Since the target is a full 30ml bottle, I could see the end mix (by weight) being less than 30ml, although just like mixing by volume, the unfilled portion would presumably be made up w/VG or PG. Sometime when I have nothing better to do, I'll make the same recipe using weight and volume and see what the difference is. You could still use graduated pipettes/syringes to dispense a given weight of things and note the volume used. I think it'd be an interesting experiment. Thanks for the link and info.
Charles

Last edited:

crammit442

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2011
Alabama
Dollar tree, flavor injector (think giant syringe with metal tip with 2 or 3 holes towards bottom). 30ml marked off by ml. Only thing I use now. Found in the kitchen utensils section.

Dude! I got my wife to stop by the Dollar Tree and pick up a couple of these today. Kudos on a great idea. I'm normally the guy w/the nifty gadgets and ideas, but I'm riding on the back of the bus this time. The syringe is nothing special, but the HUGE needle is a real advantage. Thanks again for the idea!
Charles
P.S. I think I'm going to grind and polish the needle so the very end is open and then use heat shrink on the full length in order to close off the holes so it will be able to draw liquid a little deeper than the holes will allow. Hope that makes sense.

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
Sometime when I have nothing better to do, I'll make the same recipe using weight and volume and see what the difference is.

If you do them properly and you have your values correct, there should be no difference what so ever. If there is any significant difference, there was an error in measurement.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Dude! I got my wife to stop by the Dollar Tree and pick up a couple of these today. Kudos on a great idea. I'm normally the guy w/the nifty gadgets and ideas, but I'm riding on the back of the bus this time. The syringe is nothing special, but the HUGE needle is a real advantage. Thanks again for the idea!
Charles
P.S. I think I'm going to grind and polish the needle so the very end is open and then use heat shrink on the full length in order to close off the holes so it will be able to draw liquid a little deeper than the holes will allow. Hope that makes sense.

Walmart has them also. No holes. I just cut off the sharp tip with my Dremel and push a short piece of silicone tubing on the end for safety and a bit more length.

• Useful

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North

Which only works if the recipe is yours and you develop it using specific gravity. If you use someone else's recipe, and they used 1ml=1g your result may be different. The reverse is also true - if they used specific gravity and you use 1ml=1g there may be a difference.

Admittedly not much, but it will be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread