• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Need your help - about Missions

Status
Not open for further replies.

gashin

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2008
Southern California USA
www.ecigmall.com
Hi everyone,

I feel God is calling me to go on a mission. The problem is that I am in a bit of a bind financially. I can fund it entirely myself but I will be using my entire savings (I just graduated from college). I am currently unemployed so this is a big deal for me but I live with relatives so I can afford to do this and I do make enough to live on just from e-cigs. Can anyone point me in the direction of grants/scholarships for Christian missionaries? Also, can anyone recommend any other fundraising methods? The total cost of the trip will only be around $2500 and I am going to pay for as much as I need to but any kind of help will ease my problems.

Thanks,
Kevin

gashin

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2008
Southern California USA
www.ecigmall.com
Problem solved :). My mother is going to help me out and I am going to have some more funds from Church. God really answers prayers! I hesitated about going to Syria because of the money but now I don't have anything to worry about. I know that God is helping me because I am carrying out his plan.

gashin

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2008
Southern California USA
www.ecigmall.com
Thanks!

Actually it will be a purely spiritual experience - the way it's set up is that we wander throughout Syria and will only have enough money to live in a hotel or eat at a restaraunt for a couple days a week during which we will journey to another city using any method we can to meet up with professional missionaries who will give us enough funds for the next week. We will rely on God's grace to find housing and food among Muslims - just as Jesus commanded his disciples to do. So far Syria seems to be very safe from the previous experiences of hundreds of missionaries and the presence of a large Christian minority that is entrenched and even respected by the Muslim community there. The U.S. actually has a 5 times greater murder rate than Syria and terrorist attacks against Christians are practically non-existent since Syria gained independence from France. In fact, crime is almost non-existent in Syria in general because of the severe punishments meted out for even minor offenses, according to our own government! I find it ironic that it is considered to be a haven for terrorism when its own Christian population has experienced practically no terrorist attacks and actually has succeeded more economically and socially than the Syrian Muslims. I guess my main fear is that I'll be caught in the cross-fire if if Israel decides to carry out another pre-emptive strike.

I'm going to be leaving in mid-December so please pray for me!

Good news, Gashin. I'm sure it will be a very rewarding experience for you.

sepper33

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2009
Poprad, Slovakia
Hey Gashin,
I was in a similar situation myself, and although you have the financial aspect of your journey down, you also need to be preparing yourself spiritually and mentally for the months ahead. Working in missions is difficult, painful and terribly lonely at times. I am currently stationed in Slovakia working with Roma youth, and at many times I question where God is amidst all the confusion and times of frustration. I don't know what you'll be doing exactly, but know that you will be challenged by being away from home, no matter what. It's not the same as traveling; you will be working with people who will not understand you and you will not understand them. Be prepared for this. Know that the entire time, though, there is order in the chaos; even if you can't see it. I have difficulties in reminding myself of this every day. Despite the fact that this work can be so challenging to the brink that you feel like you're losing your sanity, there's a light at the end of the tunnel, namely that prayers do get answered. Share your experiences with people at home, and rely on a few good friends to vent to. I wish you the best of luck, and feel free to ask me any questions you have, as it's always helpful to have fellow missionaries to speak with (even if the fields and denominations are different).

gashin

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2008
Southern California USA
www.ecigmall.com
Hi sepper,

I am actually going to go with a team. What happens is that we just wander around to different cities, evangelizing as God allows. We will depend on God's grace for food and housing also and just sharing the gospel with Muslims and the Orthodox Christians there (the majority of whom are ignorant of the gospel!) - though not necessarily converting them. I guess I will be spoiled in that I will have up to 7 other missionaries with me as I travel as well as professional missionaries guiding us along the way. Thank you for your advice... I know that God has revealed himself to you in that you haven't quit! I personally feel that I do not have as much faith as I should have in God and while I don't doubt that your prayers have been answered, I still have this underlying fear that I will be harmed. But I know that God wants me to have this experience to share his Gospel and to rely on him more.
Hey Gashin,
I was in a similar situation myself, and although you have the financial aspect of your journey down, you also need to be preparing yourself spiritually and mentally for the months ahead. Working in missions is difficult, painful and terribly lonely at times. I am currently stationed in Slovakia working with Roma youth, and at many times I question where God is amidst all the confusion and times of frustration. I don't know what you'll be doing exactly, but know that you will be challenged by being away from home, no matter what. It's not the same as traveling; you will be working with people who will not understand you and you will not understand them. Be prepared for this. Know that the entire time, though, there is order in the chaos; even if you can't see it. I have difficulties in reminding myself of this every day. Despite the fact that this work can be so challenging to the brink that you feel like you're losing your sanity, there's a light at the end of the tunnel, namely that prayers do get answered. Share your experiences with people at home, and rely on a few good friends to vent to. I wish you the best of luck, and feel free to ask me any questions you have, as it's always helpful to have fellow missionaries to speak with (even if the fields and denominations are different).

sepper33

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2009
Poprad, Slovakia
Don't worry about how much faith you have-- it's not a commodity, and it's not quantifiable. Just be yourself; that's all God asks of us; He created us as who we are after all... Don't worry. Just be yourself, and embrace the times that you feel lonely; even with a crew of 7 people, you can still experience quite a bit of loneliness. Silence can be an amazing time for the spirit to approach you, just be prepared for it and learn to accept it. How long is the trip?

Stormynights

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2009
Bristow, Ok.
Don't worry about how much faith you have-- it's not a commodity, and it's not quantifiable. Just be yourself; that's all God asks of us; He created us as who we are after all... Don't worry. Just be yourself, and embrace the times that you feel lonely; even with a crew of 7 people, you can still experience quite a bit of loneliness. Silence can be an amazing time for the spirit to approach you, just be prepared for it and learn to accept it. How long is the trip?

I am going to pray for both of you.

sepper33

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2009
Poprad, Slovakia
I still have this underlying fear that I will be harmed.

As the pastor from my sending congregation told me: "You have an invisible shield in the power of prayer, which is your hidden weapon, much stronger than any harm anyone could try to do to you."

God will guide you, and the fact that people all over the world will be praying for you will keep you safer than anything else in the world.

Thank you for your prayers stormynights.

Stormynights

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2009
Bristow, Ok.
As the pastor from my sending congregation told me: "You have an invisible shield in the power of prayer, which is your hidden weapon, much stronger than any harm anyone could try to do to you."

God will guide you, and the fact that people all over the world will be praying for you will keep you safer than anything else in the world.

Thank you for your prayers stormynights.

You are very welcome my friend. It is the least I can do sitting here in the comfort of my own home. God Bless you for being out there working for the Lord.

gashin

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2008
Southern California USA
www.ecigmall.com
I've been gone for a bit but thanks also! Thank you for the book also! It's very good - maybe we should start a book circle on this forum hehe. God bless!
You are very welcome my friend. It is the least I can do sitting here in the comfort of my own home. God Bless you for being out there working for the Lord.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread