NET: Nicotine Extraction from Tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
    #1) I'm getting a list together for chemistry lab equipment to extract nicotine. If you know the exact proper names of the glassware and where to purchase it please let me know. I want a professional lab setup for home use, and am thinking of processing a pound of tobacco at a time.

#2) As I'm just getting in to this, I was wondering about the quality of the tobacco used for NET. I live near a very nice tobacco shop and was thinking of buying some of their tobacco when I proceed. What do you think of their products? Am I going to notice the differences in flavors? This is probably the best tobacco shop that I know of in Chicago, and I use to buy cigarettes from them many moons ago...but note, they no longer sell cigarettes, and I have not smoked since Sept 7th, 2015.

Reactions: anavidfan

anavidfan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 14, 2012
    U.S.
    Are you wanting to extract tobacco flavor or nicotine? From what Ive read these are two very different things.

To extract a natural tobacco for flavor is basic and rather simple, just takes time and experimentation.

To extract enough nicotine to use as a base takes A LOT of work and distillation equipment that gets really costly and lots of space.

The NET extracts are usually mixed with PG/VG and a nic base. NET extracts have very little actual nicotine.

I hope someone chimes in and corrects me if Im wrong.

My hat off to you if you are dedicated enough to actually mean you are going to extract nicotine.

Reactions: Tommy-Chi

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Are you wanting to extract tobacco flavor or nicotine? From what Ive read these are two very different things.

To extract a natural tobacco for flavor is basic and rather simple, just takes time and experimentation.

To extract enough nicotine to use as a base takes A LOT of work and distillation equipment that gets really costly and lots of space.

The NET extracts are usually mixed with PG/VG and a nic base. NET extracts have very little actual nicotine.

I hope someone chimes in and corrects me if Im wrong.

My hat off to you if you are dedicated enough to actually mean you are going to extract nicotine.

To be honest, I read a bit and watched a few YouTube videos. I did not know that the process would be difficult to master, or different for tobacco flavor vs nicotine. Surely, the flavor of the tobacco would be great! I'm looking at some very expensive tobacco, and it probably rocks!

I'd be after as much of both as I could obtain, with reasonable expenses. I think I'd put a cap on it overall at around $250 for the equipment. If somebody told me I needed $500+ for equipment, today, I'd have to pass, but I just might consider it somewhere in mid 2016.

Lets look at the two separate processes, and see what the cost breakdowns are.

Reactions: anavidfan

sig-cmt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 28, 2015
    HoustΩn, TX
    I think I'd put a cap on it overall at around $250 for the equipment.
    A professional lab setup on that budget will only afford you educational grade products (e.g. Eisco Labs). You start moving towards products actually used in research labs (e.g. class A cylinders from Kimble Chase) and you will only be able to afford one, maybe two articles of glassware.

Last edited:

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    A professional lab setup that budget will only afford you educational grade products (e.g. Eisco Labs). You start moving to products actually used in research labs (e.g. class A cylinders from Kimble Chase) and you will only be able to afford one, maybe two articles of glassware.

Hmmmm... please roll out the list of what I need, and maybe I'll change my mind. I'm going to drop around $5k on vaping supplies in the first 6 months of 2016, IF I CAN, so I may as well buy the best. I only saw a few home made components in the videos that I watched on YouTube, so I don't know what to buy.

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Getting flavor out of tobaccos is pretty simple. Just soak the leaves in PG in a jelly jar and strain. Getting nicotine from tobacco is a lengthy, costly process and requires a serious background in chemistry, and as I understand it, is very dangerous. I think it is actually taboo to discuss it here.

Thanks! I did not know abt that rule. I really need the flavor though! That is what rocks. The nicotine isn't that important to me, I've almost got a gallon of Nude Nicotine now and will have several before 2016 is over.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread