New 3.8mm Tact Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
I just replaced my Chameleon's short 3.5mm tact switch with a slightly longer 3.8mm shaft length switch purchased from EBay (the total switch length is 7.3mm). There was a voltage drop somewhere in my lizard so it wasn't hitting as good as it could... sure enough... it was the little tact switch.

Happy to report that it's hitting at full power again with the new switch installed :vapor:

15 x Tact Switch 6*6mm 7.3mm 50mA Through Hole SPST-NO - eBay (item 320546398978 end time Jun-29-10 11:53:42 PDT)

Some pics...

1) The 3.5mm switch is in the Chameleon, the original 4mm shaft length switch with the new 3.8mm switch in the background.

2) The 4mm, 3.5mm, and 3.8mm switches side by side.

3) The 3.8mm switch installed.

Attachments

• 3.5mm.jpg
    3.5mm.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 38
  • lineup.jpg
    lineup.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 3.8mm.jpg
    3.8mm.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 32

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Hey as long as he is making money. If I'm not mistaken the link Isaac posted was $0.20/switch and $8.95 for delivery or something like that. You don't even wanna know about internationally.

BTW it was your idea believe it or not. I was so happy when I received my gift (cartos) I had to spread the cheer. I PMd JR and ask if he would like one and sent one on its way for addition to his black SD. JR and I have been exchanging various items and I thought it was just cool to send him one. When he wanted to return the favor I said it wasn't necessary but if he insisted I mentioned the switch link you posted, and the rest is history.

I will never have to worry about switches for my beloved lizard :D all thanks to you my dear.

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
Great thread!!! They do look very nice in the photos, Thank you Mr Madness!
I seen you guys nearly bought them all! There were only 2 lots left! :laugh:
These would make an excellent option for those that are in need of a replacement!

These look like the same switches (made by WEALTH METAL) from a different EBay listing. But these are sold in lots of 30 and are shipped from Thailand. The listing says more than 10 lots of 30 available.

30 x Tact Switch 6*6mm 7.3mm 50mA Through Hole SPST-NO - eBay (item 250578851096 end time Jul-11-10 04:18:15 PDT)

I think you'd like the ever so slightly longer length on these. Not too long or too short... as goldilocks would say... its juuuust right :)

WitchWay

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Hey as long as he is making money. If I'm not mistaken the link Isaac posted was $0.20/switch and $8.95 for delivery or something like that. You don't even wanna know about internationally.

BTW it was your idea believe it or not. I was so happy when I received my gift (cartos) I had to spread the cheer. I PMd JR and ask if he would like one and sent one on its way for addition to his black SD. JR and I have been exchanging various items and I thought it was just cool to send him one. When he wanted to return the favor I said it wasn't necessary but if he insisted I mentioned the switch link you posted, and the rest is history.

I will never have to worry about switches for my beloved lizard :D all thanks to you my dear.

I'm glad to help. This is what the forum is for if we find things or learn things that can help someone else then it needs to be put here :) I originally purchased the ones Isaac recommends and paid that shipping, but I got 10 to at least make it somewhat better. I like these switches and the price on these much better though. You know if you ever need anything shipped from the US, let me know I'll be happy to help.

These look like the same switches (made by WEALTH METAL) from a different EBay listing. But these are sold in lots of 30 and are shipped from Thailand. The listing says more than 10 lots of 30 available.

30 x Tact Switch 6*6mm 7.3mm 50mA Through Hole SPST-NO - eBay (item 250578851096 end time Jul-11-10 04:18:15 PDT)

I think you'd like the ever so slightly longer length on these. Not too long or too short... as goldilocks would say... its juuuust right :)

These ARE the same switches and probably the source for the ones we bought. The ones we bought are from Thailand, but they have someone in the states shipping them from here to make the shipping faster. The seller on the listings we bought from is actually registered in Thailand.

The ones I got where the ones marked 8mm so slightly longer than the ones in that listing. And are the ones in my pic above.

Happy Vaping!

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
You know if you ever need anything shipped from the US, let me know I'll be happy to help.

Happy Vaping!
Yes I know and I have you on my speed dial :D, but at the same time I do not take the offer for granted. AAMOF I had 10 on order through Isaac with my last order before JR came through. Isaac will be stocking them on the site when he gets around to it, as no one wants to be without their lizard for even a day :D

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
It's so nice to be using the Chameleon again after having to use my backup MOD for a while. That little tact switch is such an Achilles heel in terms of reliability... but at the same time, the clicky feel to the switch is very satisfying and a pleasure to use... and it's so inexpensive and easy to replace. Not a bad design tradeoff really, I think the Chameleon's designers done pretty good.

It might be nice to get a couple of spares in the box with the device from day one. Not a lifetime supply, but enough to fallback on for when the switch inevitably fails.

With 14 spares on hand now, I should be set for a good long while, and the backup MOD has gone back to collecting dust.

Iken

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
PA,USA
Glad to hear they are working as I am guilty as well for having a set coming. JollyRogers was kind enough to order me a lot in exchange for "blinging" his Screwdriver.

10264d1277317130-new-mk1-510-screwdriver-one-dscf0031.jpg

10265d1277317139-new-mk1-510-screwdriver-one-dscf0033.jpg
Ahh thats the Bling you were talking about! Very nice my good man. So that piece is the actual button? i can imagine how genuine it must look on a black Sd. Good show!
Haha Yes! Thank you for the reminder on those switches! When i get in these 6.6 (courtesy from the greatest people on earth) Test em out, and throw them up on the site, so we can have 2 options of buttons.

I think so too Mr Madness! I would really like to give these a nice solid road test! Speaking of road tests, i have an announcement to make on the 510 cartos we received. Well since we're heading out vacation, I thought it best to equip a good amount of these guys along with 5 of each from the hv family of 901 and 510. Thanks to Val for bringing a device that plugs into the car adapter that has an output of 5V and also supports usb and other ports for car adapters. I can't think of the name at the moment, because i literally .have 5 kids on me in 100+ degree weather at the moment. :blink: Anyway, long story short. These 510 cartos, aren't my cup of tea on 3.7V BUT on 5-6V they really do shine. I want to make a video for a quick and easy refill sometime today, hopefully. I haven't touched any of my atoms as of yet on this trip and have been just using 1 silver 510 on high voltage since we departed. The flavor, Actual feel, and vapor production has been ridiculously good and satisfying. So good to the point where i want to market these as HV devices. i went ahead and sourced 2.0+ ohm 510 cartomizers, but would really like test these guys. What do you guys think of another beta testing?

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
So good to the point where i want to market these as HV devices. i went ahead and sourced 2.0+ ohm 510 cartomizers, but would really like test these guys. What do you guys think of another beta testing?

I haven't had much luck with cartos yet (but haven't really used them much yet either). I have noticed the SLB 510s are more burn resistant than KR808 cartos... but still... every time I've gotten too close to the 5v passthru with a carto in hand... i've ended up with a burnt carto. I think if you put 2.0 ohm cartos in my hands, i might be able to burn them up by simply waving a 16340 over them :)

I should probably wait for some other penquins to dive in first.

WitchWay

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
i went ahead and sourced 2.0+ ohm 510 cartomizers, but would really like test these guys. What do you guys think of another beta testing?

Anything new should be tested, however if they are SLBs like the other cartos they should be the same just with a lower resistance.

I am with VM though, with the way I burn cartos, all I would have to do is look at one of the LR ones and it would burn :lol: I am having great luck with the SLB 3.0 ones though! As a matter of fact I'm still mad at my attys and have been running 4 cartos. 2 SLBs and 2 others I'm just testing. I keep coming back to the SLBs though.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
These 510 cartos, aren't my cup of tea on 3.7V BUT on 5-6V they really do shine. I want to make a video for a quick and easy refill sometime today, hopefully. I haven't touched any of my atoms as of yet on this trip and have been just using 1 silver 510 on high voltage since we departed. The flavor, Actual feel, and vapor production has been ridiculously good and satisfying. So good to the point where i want to market these as HV devices.

IMHO they run too hot at 6V, which represents 5V under load on my lizard, they are slightly better on my reg 5V box fired with 14500s drawing 4.57A under load. I can taste a faint burnt taste at HV. This is with several cartos/juice combinations. They perform best on an eGo with cone. Told you the eGo was a special device.

Most cartos are "airy", well they are reported as airy, and they are. Blocking one of the holes during draws improves this. Some have cut the end off a condom, and have cut Vs where they want air drawn in while sealing the other hole/s, or you can restrict the incoming air and preheat it prior to going over the coil, the eGo. I must confess it is the only device I own that mimicks "smoking". All of my devices are used at regular intervals, but the eGo is my main vaping device for explained reasons.

The 2.0 on the other hand should render the 5V experience, if combined with an IMR batt. IMRs are not only safer chemistry, the are the only ones capable of delivering the required current to the atty. IMRs should be used for batt sizes 16340 or lower. Then you will be getting the required current supply and voltage necessary to make the carto/atty shine.

IMHO we need to change the way we think. IMRs have only recently been discovered for vaping applications. Someone has done the math and it all makes sense, and that is why AW has or is in the process of mfr a 14500 IMR batt. it delievers "our" requirements.

Iken

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
PA,USA
Anything new should be tested, however if they are SLBs like the other cartos they should be the same just with a lower resistance.

I am with VM though, with the way I burn cartos, all I would have to do is look at one of the LR ones and it would burn :lol: I am having great luck with the SLB 3.0 ones though! As a matter of fact I'm still mad at my attys and have been running 4 cartos. 2 SLBs and 2 others I'm just testing. I keep coming back to the SLBs though.
LOL Burned by eye sight. Have you been using the currents to satisfaction Wway? Can they still be compared to the previous Black and white spotted Pink? They're from the same manufacture "Slb" and look identical, but somehow perform differently imo. I just cannot get accustomed to them at 3.7v.
IMHO they run too hot at 6V, which represents 5V under load on my lizard, they are slightly better on my reg 5V box fired with 14500s drawing 4.57A under load. I can taste a faint burnt taste at HV. This is with several cartos/juice combinations. They perform best on an eGo with cone. Told you the eGo was a special device.

Most cartos are "airy", well they are reported as airy, and they are. Blocking one of the holes during draws improves this. Some have cut the end off a condom, and have cut Vs where they want air drawn in while sealing the other hole/s, or you can restrict the incoming air and preheat it prior to going over the coil, the eGo. I must confess it is the only device I own that mimicks "smoking". All of my devices are used at regular intervals, but the eGo is my main vaping device for explained reasons.

The 2.0 on the other hand should render the 5V experience, if combined with an IMR batt. IMRs are not only safer chemistry, the are the only ones capable of delivering the required current to the atty. IMRs should be used for batt sizes 16340 or lower. Then you will be getting the required current supply and voltage necessary to make the carto/atty shine.

IMHO we need to change the way we think. IMRs have only recently been discovered for vaping applications. Someone has done the math and it all makes sense, and that is why AW has or is in the process of mfr a 14500 IMR batt. it delievers "our" requirements.
Absolutely my friend! The Imr series will still have it's chance to appeal to the masses, but is still untapped by most. I see the threads are reluctantly surfacing, but the Imr has much more potential for expansion.

Thank you for testing! I was always on the same page about warning customers to stray away from 6v and even 5v on cartomizers. From being on the road with these 3.0Ω and 5-6v being the only option. I really found these them to be delightful and easy on the "Homebrew" liquid from another supplier. (That adventure is whole new story in it's own :laugh:

For the airflow, that sir, is Not a bad idea! I have discovered (well it's most likely has already been discovered) that the battery fitting itself also plays a Huge role in atomizer air travel. Rob from Liquidxpress is a good friend of mine and we argue about Slb vs. Boge cartomizers. He sent me a few to play around with and on the Chameleon it was literary like sucking a boweling ball through a garden hose. Then on a 510 battery, it was more airy than a 4-hole 801, but still managed to release a ton of vapor followed by a strong actual feel (TH) THEN I tried it on a Woody v2 mod (not to be confused with the Woody box mod) from my 2nd parents out in Wisconsin and it provided the perfect medium for airflow. Doesn't that just grind the gears?

Does anyone feel that Boge cartomizers are superior than Slb?

Iken

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
PA,USA
I wanted to chime in on these newly ordered switches from 15 x Tact Switch 6*6mm 7mm 50mA Through Hole SPST-NO - eBay (item 220619958635 end time Jul-04-10 00:18:44 PDT)
I think they may of goofed. When I opened the package a few days ago (Great shipping speed btw!) I noticed that they appeared to be identical in size of the same buttons we have been providing for replacements. Thinking it's only a shade of mm that differentiates the 2, it could be a fluke. Installed. Felt identical, activated the switch, the switch went cold, as if the spring broke inside, it shorted, replaced twice again, same results, 4th switch was a keeper, but the size remains the same. :(

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
15 x Tact Switch 6*6mm 7mm 50mA Through Hole SPST-NO - eBay (item 220619958635 end time Jul-04-10 00:18:44 PDT)

Oooops, you wanted either the 7.3mm (ever so slightly longer) or the 8mm (about the size of the origs) lengths. The 7mm switch should be exactly the same size as the short replacements you've been using.

Ouch... 3 bad, 1 good... that's crappy ratio. Maybe that's why they sell them in lots of 15? Its gotta be hard to maintain QC for such an inexpensive item.

I've just tried 1 out of 15 so far. It's been working well for more than a week now.

Iken

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
PA,USA
Oooops, you wanted either the 7.3mm (ever so slightly longer) or the 8mm (about the size of the origs) lengths. The 7mm switch should be exactly the same size as the short replacements you've been using.

Ouch... 3 bad, 1 good... that's crappy ratio. Maybe that's why they sell them in lots of 15? Its gotta be hard to maintain QC for such an inexpensive item.

I've just tried 1 out of 15 so far. It's been working well for more than a week now.

Beautiful! Well thats really good to hear. :)

It could've been the button or maybe even the unit. For 3 of them to pop right in a row... The almost transparent plastic moon washer, seams a bit on the small side in terms of making certain that the 2 brass moons aren't in contact with one another..So it may be the unit that caused this. Now where to find plastic block to shave? :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread