New (and still slightly confused) vaper (from UK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurotoshiro

May 10, 2012
Leeds, UK
Hi

If anyone can help me with these queries, I'd be extremely grateful!

Btw, I apologise in advance for coming across like a clueless confused noob with nothing but dumb questions, but that's exactly what I am at this point. I've tried to read around forums to get answers for myself, but most threads tend to go into technical details that still leave me confused over the basic terminology (especially distinctions between different products/hardware), and the more basic beginner FAQs don't answer the questions I have about my specific e-cig. So I thought I might as well post this and risk being reviled for not googling well enough. :blush:

So ... I bought one of these starter kits a couple of months ago: http://www.ecigsoutlet.co.uk/index.php/ecigs/Riva-510-ecigarette-Black/garden_flypage.tpl.html

The thing is, I'm still not sure exactly what I've got! The things I'm confused about are:

(1) I think the batteries are 750mAh, as this is what the little instruction manual in the kit says. However, the webpage states both 650mAh and 750mAh, so I'm not certain. Can anyone familiar with this specific kit shed any light on that?

(2) The webpage names the product as "eGo (Riva)", then describes it just as an "eGo" and says it was "previously branded as Riva 510". So I'm thinking "eGo" and "Riva" are terms for fairly similar things. However, I then see on another forum someone saying "I love my egos, I would never touch rivas again". So now I'm thinking that the two terms must in fact be very different. So ... could someone clarify what exactly the terms "eGo" and "Riva" denote? And what's actually the best way to describe the product I got?

(3) I've mainly been direct dripping, and I'd appreciate any recommendations for buying new atties. I've been searching forums for info but my confusion over whether I've got an "eGo" or a "Riva" isn't helping matters! The recommendations seem different depending on one or the other. (I tried a couple of these ... 510 Standard Resistance Atomiser £4.49 - Vaping Spares - Atomisers Electronic Cigarettes | Vaping Devices | Accessories | E-Liquid ... because I thought they might be a basic compatible type of atty to use with the batteries I've got, but I can't get anything but that horrible burnt taste out of them. Not sure if this is due to my technique with dripping / inhaling, or if they are not really suitable for my batteries, or if cheap/basic atties like this should be avoided in general.)

Again, any help or advice would be much appreciated. Cheers!

:)

(PS - One thing I have learnt so far is that Grizwald's Peanut Butter liquid is awesome. :p)

VapingRulz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Florida
I got my Riva's from Liberty Flights and they are 650mah but if your manual says 750mah, that's likely correct.

Both the Riva and the Ego are 510 models but the Riva operates at a slightly higher voltage than the Ego.

I never use atomizers so I can't help you there. I'd suggest that you try LR 1.7 cartomizers because they're awesome.

Kay1959

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2012
Out in the middle of Nowhere
1) According to your list of what you got from the website, you have 650 mAh batteries. You can order other batteries with highter mAh's though.
2) The box looks like it says eGo on it, so that's what you got. I'm not sure about the difference between the eGo and the Riva in the past, but both look the same (I'm sure someone else with more knowledge will post soon) , and have the same threading.
3) I'm not a dripper myself, but it sounds like from the burning you are describing, that you aren't getting your atty wet enough. With dripping you only take about 5 puffs (I think) before you have to drip some more...which is why I never cared for them.

Welcome to ECF! Glad to have you on board!

leftfeild

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2011
Scotland
Hello from Scotland :)

There is only one difference between ego and riva: the ego is a regulated battery at a constant 3.2volts until it cuts off whereas the riva is an unregulated battery going from 4.2volts to 3.2ish volts when it cuts off. Otherwise, they're pretty much identical.

The riva has more "power" than an ego but it isn't constant. I'd still prefer a riva for the extra kick though.

In the UK, I almost always see ecigs being labelled as "ego/riva" or similar. It's not correct as they are different models and manufacturers. Easiest way to tell is if it is a constant voltage or not (if it gives less heat over time to the atomiser or if it's constant).

Vape escape is a great place to buy gear from. You wont find a bigger suppliers list for the UK than here: ALL ABOUT E-CIGARETTES UK - Recommended & new suppliers list

and discounts here: ALL ABOUT E-CIGARETTES UK - Discount codes.

For the taste in atties, make sure there's no primer in them. Blow them out first because they might have that machine oil somehow called "primer" in them that taste awful. Make sure you have enough liquid in there as well, as that is the most common reason to have a burnt taste.

I use CE2s aka clearomisers. You have to cut the inner seal for them to wick properly but it's a good few hours of fuss free vaping per fill after that, then weeks of use out of one clearomiser. Worth checking out. If you have any trouble with them if you do get some, let me know. Best value for money heating elements if you're not above taking 2 minutes to cut the seal one time for it to wick perfectly.

Good luck my man!

Last edited:

Kurotoshiro

May 10, 2012
Leeds, UK
Thanks for all the answers, that's all really helpful. :)

Hopefully you don't mind a couple of follow-up questions!

I'm guessing you'd all recommend low resistance cartomisers? Is there a limit on how low I should go, assuming my battery is around 650-750 mAh?

Any advice on the choice between regular size Boge cartomisers that hold 1ml liquid and the larger ones holding 1.4ml? Or should it not make much difference, apart from frequency of refills?

Thanks again!

Chrissie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The Boge LR (Lower Resistance) cartomisers will burn hotter & give you more throat hit. They should be OK to use on 650-750 mAh battery, but there has been reports of them killing the circuitry in some Riva/ego's.

I've not used the larger sized Boges - yet (Just got some on order to try out) but fairly certain, the main difference is the amount of juice they hold.

leftfeild

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2011
Scotland
I think lower than 2.0 can kill the mosfet in rivas. It's not easy to get lower than 2.0ohms so anything "low resistance" will usually be about 2.2 - 2.0ohms unless stated otherwise. Usually they tell you what ohms you're getting.

I used "standard" low resistance for a few months on my 650mah egos and didn't run into any problems. There are 1.7ohm cartos out there you shouldn't use with the riva.

For the carto sizes, more length will give you a very slightly cooler vape but a longer vaping time between refills. Either would be fine, 0.4ml isn't much difference.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread