New builder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
In accordance with your coil. Cotton should be a "touch" loose in the coil. The reason being that the wick will expand when saturated with juice. You want the juice to flow smoothly. BUT, the juice, in the wick that passes through the coil, has to touch the coils so that the juice is vaporized.

So, there are many techniques. Good luck.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Have you watched any YouTube vids on wicking? There are several out there and there a many ways to roll cotton. If you're trying to cut a strip of cotton to certain mm width, you're overthinking it. Watch some vids, keep plugging away at it. Proper wicking is almost an artform. Well, not really but kinda. You'll learn it by trial and error though. As was pointed out, the wick should be snug but loose enough to pull slightly back and forth through the inside of your coil. Hang the tails over the edge of the base and cut even with the bottom of the base or slightly shorter. Fluff the tails a bit and tuck them in. You'll be a pro in no time.

FlyerTom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Nor'Eastern PA
mjHJuAF.png

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi all
I have just started to get in to building and bought a gear rta i have put a 3mm coil in and bought a pack of muji cotton the problem i am stuck with is i dont no how wide to cut the cotton i have asked but keep getting diffrent iinformation some one told me to cut 12mm then 10mm whould any body help us out it would be well appreciated
You have posted in the new members forum, you are limited to the number of post in this forum.
re: New Members - "How many posts do I need to..."
In the future, you might want to post in the ECF forum most closely representing your subject/question(Wicks), suggests re posting in :
Wick and Wire
Might like to read:
Rayon wick, better flow, flavor, saturation and Nic Hit!
Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I use Japanese organic cotton that comes in square pads so it's easy to cut consistant peices. I want the cotton in close contact with the coil, all the way around when everything is saturated. To get the cotton through the coil I might keep tension on both ends and give the entire peice a few turns so that the cotton thightens against itself sort of like rope, which shrinks it in diameter slightly. Mostly it just practice. You'll get it. If you cut a peice to big or too small just cut another peice. Cotton is cheap. (All my coils are 3mm diameter.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread