Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
d'oh! I fell for it :lol:
.. Now I'm thinking about what I want to mix up next,
.. that I need to check inventory and my shopping list
.. and that maybe I should buy a label maker and test that feature
.. and ....

Years ago I tried EJMUP and juice Grinder and found what works best for me with this calculator. The others might have made changes since, but I'm still very satisfied. Best to @HotRod19579 You are missed.

G-Fog

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2016
Canterbury, New Zealand
@IDJoel Now that I have thought about JC doing everything I want.
I would like to calculate something that escapes me ATM.
I have a bunch of recipes in JC and would like to produce a report that tells me how much of each ingredient I need across say 20 recipes, which may or may not have some similarities in flavors.
The long way is to create a huge spreadsheet with ingredients down the left side and the recipes across the top, and input the quantities in the appropriate cell, and total them out.
However if there is a way that JC is able to do this, it would save a lot of work.
Just wondering.

Reactions: IDJoel

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
However if there is a way that JC is able to do this, it would save a lot of work.
Just wondering.
I don't know of an easy/direct way to create a dedicated ingredient list. Two possible work-arounds might be:

-- Use the "Add to shopping list" feature.
  • Start with an empty shopping list
  • Add ingredients as desired
  • Problem/shortcoming: No means to track specific amounts without manual adjustment. (ingredient is added in the amount as defined on the ingredient page.)
-- Use the "Export recipe/All Recipes to XML file."
I am not savvy enough with spreadsheets to offer anything helpful here. JC allows the exporting of either a single recipe, or all recipes (at once), to an external XML file... which can then be (I assume) manipulated in the same fashion as other spreadsheets. The export function is found under the Tools tab.

I am not sure what all one could do here; but I am thinking it might reduce, or eliminate the data entry, if nothing else.:blush:

I am sorry, @G-Fog; I wish I had something better.:(

Maybe one of our more computer literate JC comrades can chime in... (I hope, I hope, I hope).:D

• Informative
Reactions: G-Fog

G-Fog

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2016
Canterbury, New Zealand
Thanks @IDJoel I did try the "Export all recipes", but it did not manage to do what I wanted
Being a bit (very) impatient, and also to explore ideas in my head, I have started populating a spreadsheet with what I am actually wanting it to do, and to be honest, apart from the masses of data input, it might just do what I want.
I have the feeling that I am asking JC to do too much of what is only something that exists in my head.:)

johnspack

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2014
Nelson B.C.
Just thought I should let all know, that this app runs fine under linux using wine. Currently running Kubuntu 17.10 with wine devel 3.7 with no mono, and dotnet 4.0 installed. Been using this almost from the beginning under windows, but had to go to linux, and was hoping I could bring this with me. I could!

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Morning guys.
For some reason, all my recipes have disappeared from JC :/
Does anyone know where the recipe files are on the hdd so I can check there?

I had that once, I had to go to the file maintenance to get them pointed back to the right spot. Once one was back all were found.

I have mine set to a network folder so one computer changes all computers. I can work up recipes on my desktop and mix them from my laptop.

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
Just thought I should let all know, that this app runs fine under linux using wine. Currently running Kubuntu 17.10 with wine devel 3.7 with no mono, and dotnet 4.0 installed. Been using this almost from the beginning under windows, but had to go to linux, and was hoping I could bring this with me. I could!

Good to know. I have a Linux server running headless in the basement (bad mental image!), and may tinker with running desktop if I can find certain software that I need.

engmia

Apr 29, 2016
Installing HotRod's Juice Calucator on Mac OS and Linux
Hello everyone, I hope you guys are doing alright. Just wanted to repost my updated guide for getting the calculator to run under other operating systems. I've removed some redundant steps (which makes the install an extremely easy 5-step process) and provided some troubleshooting information in terms of latest versions.

I've been running this perfectly since Fedora 24, currently on Fedora 28. The experience with running the calculator is pretty much perfect. There are no known bugs to me (there was one bug which has been fixed), and it beats anything you will run in a virtual machine both performance and storage wise. There are some UI elements that are a minorly broken and rarely you have to click two times for your click to register, but nothing which affects the functionality or the usability in any way. I'm fairly certain this will run well on any other distribution or Mac OS running WINE.

How to install
I recommend using the official packaged winehq-stable-301 (please find more details on why in the code snippet below. If you already have wine installed you will find some useful information regarding this there as well.
Code:
I recommend using the official packaged winehq-stable-301. Current wine-staging-381 (both the official packaged winehq one and the one in the Fedora repos) gave me issues when trying to install dotnet, so if you run into any troubles make sure to use wine-stable-301.
Furthermore, you don't really need the patches and performances fixes which are constantly added to the wine-staging versions, which are mostly aimed at games/new apps, so you're better off running the stable version.
This guide assumes that you are running a clean install of wine. If you are already using WINE in 64-bit prefix, you should create a new 32-bit prefix to avoid any issues and use the appropriate prefix you want. Although dotnet 40 and the calculator installed and ran just fine in clean 64-bit prefix yesterday in my tests, it is not really officially recommended and you might run into troubles, but feel free to test.
If you need wine-staging-381 since you are playing games and you want the performance boosts and fixes or any other reasons -- you can install different WINE versions (or try it with the version you have currently installed obviously). Try looking into Lutris for playing games or the WineHQ FAQ on information on how to install multiple WINE version. Your distro might have some implementation of this itself.
Basically you just need a clean prefix with dotnet installed using winetricks (mono doesn't work, the juice app crashes when you try to open it). No workarounds, fonts or extra packages are needed.
1. Install WINE and winetricks
2. Open terminal
3. WINEARCH=win32 winetricks -q dotnet40 //if wine prompts you to install mono, gecko or other packages after you run the command, just click cancel on the alerts
3. wine /home/user/Downloads/Setup.exe //input the actual directory containing the Setup for the juice calculator
5. exit

The whole install should be only a few minutes long. On wine-staging-381 dotnet install went on forever generating errors which is no good, at this point you can assume your install is stuck. Ignore any fixme: errors that are generated in the terminal. The installation of the calculator itself only takes a split second (it was so quick that I thought it didn't work the first time).

Bugs

• Sometimes you need to click two times for the click to register
  • Some UI elements have minor bugs
-------------------------
If you guys have any questions or run into troubles, feel free to ask in the thread. I will gladly help when I have the time.

Last edited:

engmia

Apr 29, 2016
Linux help? Running Linux Mint/Mate 17.2. I've read all the Linux threads here but still having problems.

View attachment 684511

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Deployment, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies.
File name: 'System.Deployment, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'
at EJuiceCalculator.MainForm.MainFormLoaded () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at EJuiceCalculator.MainForm..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) EJuiceCalculator.MainForm:.ctor ()
at EJuiceCalculator.Program.Main () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Fairly new to Linux so need hand holding :)
Thanks

I am not a Linux buff but I have a couple questions.

1. What Windows emulator are you using?

2. With the above do you have dotnet 4.0 framework or higher installed?

having said that, I realize that this may be the least of your worries at the moment. Hope that you are safe in the wake of Hurricane Irma.

Spot on. This error message is caused by lack of .NET 4.0 installation (or using mono, which won't work). The easiest way to install .NET is using winetricks, do not attempt manual installation as it will cause you unnecessary headache.

None are this amazing though. This calc alone is worth coming to The Dark Side of Windows for. :)

There were a few programs that I missed too much and couldn't live without (and couldn't be run under Wine), so I went away from Linux back to Windows.. Directory Opus, Lightroom, and now this.

But another thing to try is using a virtual machine, like VirtualBox (IIRC). I think this calc will work as far back as Windows XP, and maybe even earlier versions. So finding a free copy of any of those is more likely.
Hey Hodgy, just wanted to report that the calculator runs perfectly in Linux if you're still interested! See my previous post for more information.

Thought I knew enough about computers until dh decided to "upgrade" to a mac. Now I feel a bit computer illiterate myself! I'll get used to it... eventually, lol. Switched from android to iPhones around the same time also (smh). I'm waiting for my son to come home tomorrow to dl wine for me, lol. Thanks again!
Hello Natasha! Have you managed to run the calculator in MacOS or do you still need help?

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Anyone know how to transfer the calculator from my old PC to my new one? I don't want to lose all my ingredients, recipes, costs etc

Thanks!

Is the old computer still alive and on the same network? (Handy way of getting everything you want from the old to the new.)
I think that would be File/portable installation/restore settings from portable folder Browse to your old computer's folder.

I can't be sure because if I had it on my old computer that was very long ago. New laptops use the desktop's folder so they're already set up to use that folder as their own.

• Useful
Reactions: NatashaTMT
Is the old computer still alive and on the same network? (Handy way of getting everything you want from the old to the new.)
I think that would be File/portable installation/restore settings from portable folder Browse to your old computer's folder.

I can't be sure because if I had it on my old computer that was very long ago. New laptops use the desktop's folder so they're already set up to use that folder as their own.

Yes, the old computer is still alive, not on network though.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Yes, the old computer is still alive, not on network though.

On your old computer go to tools/options. On the general tab see where your Default directory is.
Copy the contents of that folder into the default directory on the new computer.

It's at least all your ingredients and recipes. But I know when I do one thing to one computer it happens to them all so I think it's everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread