The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

New Calculator to try

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by HotRod19579, Oct 16, 2013.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. skineedog

skineedog Senior Member ECF Veteran

Oct 29, 2015
    I suppose it will be a long while but the day will come when the software will no longer run under the latest operating system. I suppose I could continue to use it on an old machine or a virtual machine... But, I do miss the regular updates. Although, I also understand how one could become burnt-out.

This statement's a a bit presumptuous, wouldn't you agree? I have sent HR money on more than one occasion because I value the software so much.

• Like Like x 2
  2. IDJoel

IDJoel Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    No presumption... if the shoe doesn't fit; ignore it. Glad to hear you are a supporter; so am I.

3. NatashaTMT

NatashaTMT Ultra Member

Supporting member
    Feb 14, 2018
    Nashville, TN
    So I've been getting ready to start DIY ejuice for a couple months. I knew early in I wanted to use this calculator+. I'm waiting on a few more packages to arrive before I can start but it's almost d-day. I already have quite a few flavors I can start recording while waiting. So I download the calculator from DIYJuiceCalculator.com and read everything. There's two files, when I try selecting, won't open. I get a error message... "can not open file." The files are PortableSetup.zip &
    Setup.zip
    I assumed this has to of been covered here. So I started at page 1 and read a good bit but nothing pertaining to this. If anyone could offer direction, I'd be overjoyed. I really want to try this! I know I can't useven myou Mac desktop or iPhone. So I downloaded to my Samsung tablet. Please, help!

4. Fozzy71

Fozzy71 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 7, 2016
    8 Mile + 2.5
    right-click - 'extract all'

You have to unzip/extract the contents of the zip file before you can run the exe/installer file within.

is your tablet android or windows? This program is windows only.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. NatashaTMT

NatashaTMT Ultra Member

Supporting member
    Feb 14, 2018
    Nashville, TN
    It's android I was afraid that was the case! Thanks for attempting to help!

• Like Like x 1
  6. IDJoel

Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    If you have a Mac; others here have had success running the calculator, using a "compatibility layer" called Wine (free). I don't have a Mac; so I have zero expertise in its use. But, maybe @Scouser, or some of the other Wine users can offer assistance, if you would like to give it a try. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. NatashaTMT

NatashaTMT Ultra Member

Supporting member
    Feb 14, 2018
    Nashville, TN
    I'll look into it. I've yet to find another calculator+ like this one. Juice Grinder might be similar but this looks like the best by far! I don't have experience with either but have read a lot about HR's. But of course JG is also for Windows I believe. So can't use it either. Thank you Joel! This is most helpful

• Like Like x 2
  8. IDJoel

Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    I am not a Mac user, nor am I particularly computer-literate, so I don't know how "tech-savvy" one needs to be to successfully use wine. But, if you enter the word "wine" in the search box at the top of the page, and limit the search to "this thread only," you can see all the previous posts that have discussed it. This might give you a better idea if it is something you want to try.

• Like Like x 2
  9. NatashaTMT

NatashaTMT Ultra Member

Supporting member
    Feb 14, 2018
    Nashville, TN
    Thought I knew enough about computers until dh decided to "upgrade" to a mac. Now I feel a bit computer illiterate myself! I'll get used to it... eventually, lol. Switched from android to iPhones around the same time also (smh). I'm waiting for my son to come home tomorrow to dl wine for me, lol. Thanks again!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ed Sause

Ed Sause Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 18, 2016
    bump

• Like Like x 3
  11. Hoggy

Hoggy Senior Member ECF Veteran

Aug 6, 2013
    WI, USA
    Just curious as to your reasons that you think this calc seems much better than Juice Grinder?

12. Hoggy

Aug 6, 2013
    WI, USA
    I too, want to remain optimistic that our Savior will return. :( As I think you also said, if nothing else than to open source this program. It would be an immensely crying shame to see this amazing program languish into abandoned-ware oblivion. Although I hope you're not just referring to me saying that he might have been on sabbaticals before - as I have disabling memory issues. Right now, it's just a remnant of a distant fuzzy hazy thought of when I first started with this calc. :confused: And I think you've been here longer than me.
    I'm always glad when you say he has been logging in, and with you saying it's been every week or two for the last couple month --- might be a hopeful sign.

The program is already quite complete, but if there was one thing, it would be to make it faster with large juice files... My circa 2012 AMD 4-core laptop is getting pretty slow with my large juice file.. It seems to freeze the whole computer for several seconds when it now 'pauses' to do its full recipe-ingredient redraws. I've off-loaded as much as I can to a couple different juice files, but it seems as if it doesn't really help much - with a ~6MB juice file. Have other people encountered this - and hopefully found a solution?

Although, since my ship is getting ready to dock - hopefully it won't be a problem soon, when I get my new computer: a liquid-cooled AMD ThreadRipper 16/32-core, 128GB memory, two Samsung 960 Pro m.2 nvme drives, a 32-inch 4k AdobeRGB-gamut 10-bit HDR monitor with a really beefy video card - and then some.. :banana: That will beat this aging 17-in laptop, by just an itty-bitty tad, I think - just possibly. :D

I've been considering a pretty sizeable donation, since this calc is running just about 95% of the time here. But are we sure that it's going right to him - and not someone that is doppelganger-ing him? :)
    (Although that would be, in addition to, some attys and mods and many flavors. :thumbs: )

• Like Like x 2
  13. NatashaTMT

NatashaTMT Ultra Member

Supporting member
    Feb 14, 2018
    Nashville, TN
    First and foremost, when I stated this I hadn’t yet begun DIY ejuice. Secondly, I’ve not personally tried either of these spectacular “looking" calculators. Also, at the time I said this, I hadn’t given JG a fair chance. I just looked it up again to refresh my thoughts concerning. I didn’t realise it has some features which I now see. I think maybe I had on blinder glasses and could only see what I wanted, lol. Most likely they’d probably both tick all boxes for me. Whether one is better than the other I couldn’t fairly say. Though I’d like to see a comparison chart of each. Do you have an opinion one way or the other concerning this topic?

14. IDJoel

Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    Sure? I don't know. But when I donated; I got a brief thank you note from him via PayPal (and I think(?) he acknowledged it here in the thread too).:D

The new computer sounds like a beast! Congrats!!:thumbs:

• Like Like x 3
  15. IDJoel

Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    I have used both and found them to be rather similar. I was using Juice Grinder (JG) before I found out about Juice Calculator (JC). (and before JG I had been using EJuiceMeUp... but I don't remember much about that one).

JG started out being freeware; meaning all the features were unlocked and could be used by anyone, whether or not they chose to donate. When I first started using it; it did not yet have the ability to manage inventory. That feature was added while I was a user; and that's when JG became crippleware (meaning certain features, like the inventory management, could only be accessed if you donated).

That ticked me off and I went looking for a new calculator. That was when I found JC. JC already had inventory management, it had no number of ingredient limitations, and it only displayed as many lines as ingredients used (so the display screen was/is much less cluttered).

I have been using JC ever since. :D

If I were ever forced to look for a different calculator, I would probably give JG serious consideration, but I hope it never comes to that.;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Hoggy

Aug 6, 2013
    WI, USA
    Not as far as features. I had installed JG a good while ago, but was turned off by some features being locked, despite it advertising itself as freeware - so I uninstalled it with a quickness. A while went by where I just continued using EjuiceMeUp until Wayne Walker (of DIYorDIE) mentioned "a calculator by Hotrod" quickly in passing during a video of making an orange creamsicle - but he went on to say, roughly, "nah, skip that and use EjuiceMeUp for ease of use for beginners."

Needless to say, I jumped in excitement hearing there was a possible alternative to EJMU. I was desperately wanting a calc that you didn't have to constantly type in ingredients, since that was why I didn't do much exploring - EJMU was too painful for that (literally, too). Plus I was hoping for something to roughly track inventory, since ~95% of my flavors are transferred into 4oz amber glass Boston Round bottles for long-term storage, which are impossible to see through at a quick glance.

Like IDJoel, it leaves a really bad taste that JG advertises itself as "Freeware" even though there are locked features - on top of ones that are easily within the realm of a home mixer, to boot. It also reminded me too much of EJMU with it's cluttered ingredient boxes. (And unfortunately, I remember all too well what a PITA EJMU was to work with.) Another thing I'm not sure about, is if JG would allow altering currently running mixes - a feature in this calc (via "Modify existing recipe" menu-item) I find absolutely invaluable for doing 'exploratories'.

I was just wondering about any differences between them, if worse ever comes to worst, where Juice Calc became inaccessible someday.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. NatashaTMT

NatashaTMT Ultra Member

Supporting member
    Feb 14, 2018
    Nashville, TN
    :DAnd there you have it. I think the answer is pretty clear here!

• Like Like x 2
  18. IDJoel

Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    Page 3 is completely unacceptable.... bump.;):D

19. G-Fog

G-Fog Senior Member ECF Veteran

Is that just click bait or bump bait? :D or is there something on page 3 that I am missing?

• Like Like x 1
  20. IDJoel

Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    Nah; just whining about this thread falling back to page three, and trying to keep it active.:D
    So... I'm guessing... bump-bait?:confused:
    :toast:

• Like Like x 1