New Calculator to try

Status
Not open for further replies.
On your old computer go to tools/options. On the general tab see where your Default directory is.
Copy the contents of that folder into the default directory on the new computer.

It's at least all your ingredients and recipes. But I know when I do one thing to one computer it happens to them all so I think it's everything.

Thanks!

Reactions: Myk

engmia

Apr 29, 2016
If you run Linux, pay attention to @engmia post above.
I have a headless Linux box that I play with. Followed the guide and the program works fine. Well, there are couple of cosmetic things as described, but absolutely functional.
Likely would work the same on OSX.
Glad it's working for you, thanks for the confirmation! Definitely will work on Mac as well, noticed some previous confirmations in this thread. There are some oddities in the UI, something I noticed which I don't remember being present before is having to keep your mouse movement right below the (invisible) arrow on lists that you click, otherwise the selection won't work. I'll update the bugs section once I do more testing and compare behaviour on Windows. As you said however, everything is fully functional thankfully, so it's not really a stopper issue or anything.

I found the tools/options, then I saw 2 different ingredient list. No recipe lists in there unfortunately.
How to backup and restore juice Calculator data (either to a new computer or an older session)
1. Open juice Calulator, and select "Tools" -> "Options" from the menu bar at the top
2. Go to the "Backup Options" tab (fifth tab)
3. Tick "Turn on automatic backups". Tick all the options for backup if you want all the data to be backed up
4. Select the time of which you want the backup to occur. I personally have chosen "On program exit" to make sure I always have the latest backup, plus if you make a mistake in your last session, you can always restore the data as it was before. Plus the backups are extremely tiny, so you will not really notice them. You can choose the delete after X days options if you prefer.
5. At the end, your settings must look something like the attached picture. Apply and exit the program.
6. Copy the files from the Juice Backup folder you have selected on an external thumb drive, external drive, cloud drive etc. as per your preferred method of transferring them.

Restoring the backup
1. Open Juice Calculator
2. From the menu bar, open "File" -> "Restore from backups"
3. Click on the "Browse" button, and choose the folder which Juice Calculator has generated with the backups.
4. From the list, you want to choose the backup which you want to restore. The latest backup is chosen by default, but you can change this selection if you want to restore to a previous version
5. Click "Open" for the Juice data, and "Restore" in any of the other fields (see second attached screenshot. in my case some options are grayed out since I do not have any data entered/backed up)
6. Restart juice calculator (important to reload your settings)

That's all! This will restore your recipes, inventory amounts, options etc. to a new computer or an older state. It will be just like you never transferred it, all the options and everything gets transferred.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2018-06-03 12-23-13.png
    Screenshot from 2018-06-03 12-23-13.png
    51.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot from 2018-06-03 12-31-57.png
    Screenshot from 2018-06-03 12-31-57.png
    58.1 KB · Views: 28

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Okay all you EJC users; I have a new (to me) one for ya.

Over on the Random DIY mixing and More thread; @FranC was trying to figure out her measurements for a recipe using 3 different carriers. It boiled down to this:

-- Desired finish volume: 5mL (this was for small testing samples)
-- Desired ratio: 60%PG / 20%VG / 20%PEG400
-- Final nic strength: 6mg/mL
-- Flavoring percentage: 6%

These are the ingredients being used:
-- plain VG
-- plain PEG400
-- plain PG
-- 60mg/mL nic in PG base
-- single flavor concentrate in PG base

I worked it out long-hand; so there is no urgency to my question. The final recipe is:
-- 20% (1.0mL) plain VG
-- 20% (1,0mL) plain PEG400
-- 44% (2.2mL) plain PG
-- 10% (0.5mL) 60mg/mL nic in PG base
-- 06% (0.3mL) single flavor concentrate in PG base
totals:
-- 100% (5mL)

Another ECF member (@madstabber) asked me what calculator I used; and I thought this thread was more appropriate.

My question to the EJC community is:

How/what is the best way (if one exists) to use EJC to calculate this?

I will start the ball off with what I came up with. I would welcome any, and all, thoughts. Is this the best way? Is this the only way? Is there a better way? What are your opinions?

First, I couldn't see any of the "Simple Calculators" that could accommodate a third base. And, most required nowing the correct volumes to begin with (back to long-hand; and in fact what I did). I was able to check my long-hand out by putting the results into the "Results of mixing multiple ingredients" simple calculator. This confirmed nicotine strength, and total volume; but it did not provide percentages, and the PG/VG percentages were off:
upload_2018-7-6_23-5-37.png

Next, I thought to treat the PEG400 as an "Other" (non-PG/VG ingredient; like water, alcohol), and buld a normal recipe:
upload_2018-7-6_23-29-59.png

That worked... mostly. I plugged in all values in this order: Target nic, Amount to make, Nicotine, VG (skipping over PG for the moment), flavor #1 (PEG), flavor #2 (TFA-H.P.), and finally the PG. I had to manually figure out the PG value (10% PG nic + 6% PG flavor = 16%. 60% - 16% = 44%(remaining plain PG value)). I couldn't find any way to get the calculator to tell me 44% was the room remaining for the PG value. What, if anything, am I missing? Or, am I just trying to make this do something it was not designed to do?

I tried playing with the Volume Calculation toggle (both checked, and unchecked).
upload_2018-7-6_23-42-41.png

As well as the PG/VG Precedence setting (in both positions).
upload_2018-7-6_23-45-53.png

I tried both of these, in all 4 possible combinations (multiple times, remembering to "Save Defaults" each time, and starting the recipe from scratch each time); but I could never get the calculator to tell me that the correct value was 44%. Once I told it the value was 44% it took it just fine. But, when I tried to get it to tell me the correct value it just went wonky (most common result was a PG value of 80%. :confused:).

Using the "Adjust to Max PG, VG" command didn't work either.

I looked in the Help file; but I didn't see an answer. I thought I did when I read this:
upload_2018-7-7_0-6-18.png

(found in the help file: Getting Started>About PG/VG calculations)
and that is what prompted me to start fiddling with the volume calculation, and PG/VG Precedence settings (but to no avail).

Fran has got her answer, and as I said, this is purely conversational now. I am interested in hearing if anyone else has any ideas. :)

Thanks for taking the time to wade through this rambling mess of a post. :blush::D

Spazzer

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2013
Upstate NY
IDJoel:

If, when you enter the PEG as (other) ingredient, you tell it it is 100% PG the calculations for the recipe will be correct.

I entered Nic, VG and the flavorings and ignored PG.
It will show PG as 80% as total percentage where you enter ingredients in the recipe, but will show you only have to add 44% PG to the recipe.

This is with PG/VG Precedence set to PG.

Reactions: IDJoel

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
With water as other, not included in PG or VG. Flavorings included as PG. If I click any of my 3 too high in percentage without moving one of the others down my bar turns red.

My flavorings are the whole of my PG so whatever they total is what I enter for PG.

If I want to drop my VG from 83% to 60% and increase my PG 3% above my flavorings to 10% and my water (pretend that's PEG) from 10% to 30% I can enter those numbers and the ML list tells me what I need to add. If I get something wrong the bar is red. If I increase the last number by clicking the up arrow the bar going red tells me when I went too far.
Any of the percentages too low and it does nothing with the settings I have.

I have had issues when it was updating every time I opened it that sometimes it would need some odd number like 7.658% PG to either not have a red bar or not have PG showing in the ML column. But I think I've figured out the setting that stopped that.

Last edited:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
First off this is a great program, I use it all the time, thank you.

A couple of feature requests:
  1. Have a check box in the recipe allowing you to lock the recipe from changes
  2. Have the ability to compare two recipes for differences
BT
Hi @btcruiser; and welcome to ECF! :D

I am a fellow EJC user and not the creator, but I think I can help. (The creator is on a sabbatical, and we don't know when he may return.)

Regarding the recipe lock request:
It already exists. Go to Tools(tab)>Options>Recipe defalts(tab)>Lock ingredients. Check the box to lock the recipes. This will put a pad lock symbol next to each ingredient in all recipes. To make a change, click on the pad lock to unlock it, make your change, then click the pad lock again to relock it. You can see the pad locks near the left edge of the image below.

upload_2018-7-7_15-46-28.png

(click on image to enlarge)
There are similar controls for the ingredients window (under Options> Ingredients defaults (tab)), and mouse behavior (under Options>Mouse Wheel (tab)).

if you haven't already; I found it time well spent, to look closely at all of the tabs located on the Options menu. Also, the Help file is pretty complete. I always start there, if I am looking for a particular feature.;)

Regarding displaying multiple recipes:
For the time being; the only way I can find to do this, is by opening multiple instances of EJC. Resize each window, so it fills only half a screen, and you can compare. For longer recipes, you will have to scroll (using the mouse wheel). But, the wheel works on both windows, without having to click on each window. Here's an example:
upload_2018-7-7_16-5-19.png

(click on image to enlarge)
Note: I have not used this method to make changes in both windows (only to compare two recipes). As the main program is a single file, and both windows are using the same file; I don't know how it will handle these potential multiple changes. Use caution, and start small. Maybe run simple, inconsequential, test/trial first. To see if, upon closing both windows; changes from both are saved. I would hate to see you lose a bunch of detailed work.:blush:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
IDJoel:

If, when you enter the PEG as (other) ingredient, you tell it it is 100% PG the calculations for the recipe will be correct.

I entered Nic, VG and the flavorings and ignored PG.
It will show PG as 80% as total percentage where you enter ingredients in the recipe, but will show you only have to add 44% PG to the recipe.

This is with PG/VG Precedence set to PG.
Thank you! I think I got what you are saying. I just rebuilt the same hypothetical recipe, and this time, paid attention to the far right-hand column. Here is a snap shot of it, as I have added all ingredients, without yet making any adjustment to the PG value:
upload_2018-7-7_16-27-47.png

(Note: the only difference is, I set the PEG ingredient value to 0%PG/0%VG, instead of 100%PG. It still seems to work.)

The correct value is displayed in the right column, and all I need to do is plug it into the left column. Perfect!:thumbs:

Makes sense. Once again, I am reminded to look at the whole screen.

Thanks again.:D

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
With water as other, not included in PG or VG. Flavorings included as PG. If I click any of my 3 too high in percentage without moving one of the others down my bar turns red.

My flavorings are the whole of my VG so whatever they total is what I enter for PG.

If I want to drop my VG from 83% to 60% and increase my PG 3% above my flavorings to 10% and my water (pretend that's PEG) from 10% to 30% I can enter those numbers and the ML list tells me what I need to add. If I get something wrong the bar is red. If I increase the last number by clicking the up arrow the bar going red tells me when I went too far.
Any of the percentages too low and it does nothing with the settings I have.

I have had issues when it was updating every time I opened it that sometimes it would need some odd number like 7.658% PG to either not have a red bar or not have PG showing in the ML column. But I think I've figured out the setting that stopped that.
Thanks, @Myk. I think I'm squared away now.

I appreciate you taking the time to help me out! :thumbs:

Reactions: Myk

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Thanks, @Myk. I think I'm squared away now.

I appreciate you taking the time to help me out! :thumbs:

Down by the notes too. There it includes the VG nicotine with the VG and PG flavorings with the PG (going by my mix), only the "other" isn't included down there so it still requires some math by head.
When it was giving me red bars with every other update there's where I'd look for the flavoring total to get my PG % to enter.

Also when you adjust the "other" too low the extra goes to your precedence.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Hello

To be honest, I didn't read the entire thread. On the recipe page, there is a graphic on the right side. Is it possible to change that with another graphic for each recipe?

Thank you.

Great Software.

Not in the program so you couldn't set it to be different for each recipe. There may be a hack to change it (the graphic is somewhere, find it and replace it with the same type) but I'm sure it would be universal as it is now.

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA

You really should post a pic here of your organized flavor stash. It's pretty impressive and an excellent example of how the calculator can be used. I'm not up to your number of flavors yet, but if I was, I'd probably follow your setup. Good work!

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
You really should post a pic here of your organized flavor stash. It's pretty impressive and an excellent example of how the calculator can be used. I'm not up to your number of flavors yet, but if I was, I'd probably follow your setup. Good work!
As requested:

I am too lazy to find and re-post the pictures from the other thread :facepalm:; so I am just quoting the original post.

For those that care, a bit more background:
I was previously using an ordinary alphabetical system (by concentrate name) on a standard cookie sheet. It looked like this:
upload_2018-7-30_23-29-53.png

upload_2018-7-30_23-32-9.png

It worked okay, but it had three major drawbacks for me. It wasted a fair amount of space (seen in the overhead shot); due to random bottle sizes. It could get me in the vicinity of the one I wanted, but not directly to it. I was having to handle anywhere from 4-10 bottles for each concentrate I needed. And, any time I added a new concentrate, it required major reshuffling.

I went a little crazy with the 4th of July sales, and had 70ish new concentrates coming in, as well as a handful of refills. And knew the tray wasn't going to work any more. I decided to put HotRod's locator feature to work.

As I have worked in industrial, commercial, and retail warehouses, for the better part of 25 years; I chose to use a system based on a classic "Aisle->Bay->Shelf" locator system. Only this would be; Box (numerical)->Row (alphabetical)->Position (left to right; numerical).

The rest is generally explained, in the quoted post, below the photos.

There were some trade-offs, in implementing the system the way I did; but I am not going to take the time to type it out right now. If anyone wants more details, or has any questions, please feel free to ask... especially as it applies to the calculator.
:)
EDIT: Well :censored:! It seems the pictures aren't showing automatically in the quote. You should be able to click on each "View attachment..." individually, and see them. Or, click on the little red arrow at the top of the quote (just to the right of "IDJoel said:") to be redirected to the original post. Let me know if you have any problems.:blush:

I am back among the land of the living... I have finished my reorganization. As promised here are a few photos of what 369 concentrates look like, when a basic, no-nonsense, inventory control system is applied:
View attachment 756917

View attachment 756919

View attachment 756921

View attachment 756923

The designators are based on box (number), row (alphabet), position (number; left to right). So "1-B-07;" is telling me the concentrate is located in box #1, in row B (the second row), seventh bottle from the left (which happens to be TFA Brown Sugar).

Each box is only 12" W x 12" D x 3" H. That means all my concentrates take up less than 1 cubic foot of space

The only "sorting" that was done was by bottle size. But, because of the locator system, I will never have to rearrange, and I can always place my hands on any given bottle in less than 5 seconds.

Total cost of materials was less than $30.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread