The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

New Calculator to try

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by HotRod19579, Oct 16, 2013.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. mxrdrver

mxrdrver Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 4, 2013
    Sacramento, Ca
    Can U also add a minimize tab up on the upper right hand corner?

2. HotRod19579

HotRod19579 Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 8, 2011
    Round Rock, Texas
    Microsoft won't show the min, max and help buttons at the same time. If you click on "Tools" you will see an option to "show minimize/maximize buttons". Click that and it will show those buttons and turn off the help button.

3. ccwaters

ccwaters Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    Minnesota USA
    Yes that would acomplish pretty much same thing.

4. mxrdrver

May 4, 2013
    Sacramento, Ca
    When I enter in a new flavor, am I the only one that has to 0 out the nicotine strength? I'll start by naming the flavor, entering the weight of that flavor, and then selecting the "flavor" tab. I still have to zero out the nicotine strength, otherwise my calculations are wrong. Its always preset to 100. Am I doing something wrong?

5. HotRod19579

Nov 8, 2011
    Round Rock, Texas
    I think I know what is causing it. Go into "tools->options" and look at the value you have for "default values for ingredients" and see if you have the nicotine level set to 0. I am guessing that you have it at 100.

6. zaubara

zaubara Full Member Verified Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Vienna
  7. mxrdrver

May 4, 2013
    Sacramento, Ca
    Ok, I figured it out. Had to go back in and change the presets. I'm getting the hang of it. The more I use this calculator the more I like it. I don't even use eJuiceMeUp anymore. I just wish more people would see the value of DIYing by weight. Lots of newbies are learning DIY with syringes and pipettes, and having problems with their final product. Using a scale makes DIYing soooooo much simpler. Thanks for all U do.

8. HotRod19579

Nov 8, 2011
    Round Rock, Texas
    I just posted another update but again, mostly minor updates:

1. Currently when installing an updated version the program forgets what file you previously had opened and forces you to reopen your juice file using File->Open. It will now remember your file across new installations. You may have to reopen the file after installing this version but all future installs after this version it should remember.
    2. I added an option on the Import from XML file window to allow the import to skip recipes that have duplicate names.
    3. Added an option (Tools->Backup options) to allow the program to automatically create backups of your juice files.

9. HotRod19579

Nov 8, 2011
    Round Rock, Texas
    I agree. I switched to using a scale about 3 weeks ago and it is so much easier and faster. Almost no cleanup after mixing. I also feel that my measurements are much more accurate using the scale rather than trying to "eye" how many ml's I have in the measuring device.

10. HotRod19579

Nov 8, 2011
    Round Rock, Texas
    The Juice Calculator will allow for the scenario that you described in the thread with one exception, the water in your VG base. You can specify that your nicotine ingredients have 60% PG, 30%VG or 0%PG and 80%VG and the PG/VG percentages will be taken into consideration when calculating the desired level of the resulting recipe. With the PG and VG ingredients, the calculator always assumes 100%. How did you get water in your VG base?

There is another setting in the calculator that you might be interested in. In the "Options" window you can specify how you want your PG/VG percentages calculated when creating a recipe. Most people want their resulting recipe percentage to be 80/20, 70/30, etc.. where the sum of the PG and VG always equals 100%. Some people (I am one of them) like to know the true percentage of PG and VG. An example; I am adding 10% water to my recipe, I want the resulting recipe to tell me that my PG+VG percentage = 90%, not 100%. To enable this way of calculating you should check the "Volume Calculation" checkbox.

• Like Like x 1
  11. buckethead

buckethead Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Finally got around to using this on a MAC using Wine. I don't think I'll ever use another calculator again. This calculator is money.

Thanks for your efforts HotRod!

12. yo han

yo han Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 9, 2008
    the Dutch mountains
    HotRod: I just notice that the calculator has a resolution of 0.001 when it comes to grams. However, when inputting ingredient densities it rounds things off to 0.01
    What's the reason for that?

13. HotRod19579

Nov 8, 2011
    Round Rock, Texas
    Actually the precision of the number is better than .001. Internally the application tracks the values (all values) as a "decimal" numbers which have 28 significant digits. When I output the number I have to convert it to a string and when I convert the number for display I must tell it how many significant digits to display. I chose .01 only because most scales only go to that granularity. If you think it adds value, I can increase the number of digits to display. Suggestions?

14. HotRod19579

Nov 8, 2011
    Round Rock, Texas
    Also, when you are entering the weight of the ingredient you can enter up to 28 significant digits. The window will truncate the display down to 2 decimal digits however; if you were to open up the XML file in an editor you will notice that it saves all of the significant digits that you typed in.

15. mxrdrver

May 4, 2013
    Sacramento, Ca
    Leave it at 2 decimal digits. I know how to round up. My calculator only goes to 0.00. Any thing else would be splitting hairs.

16. Born2Hula

Born2Hula Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 15, 2013
    Close to Philly, USA
    When entering ingredients, in this instance flavorings, may I ask how you distinguish between vendors?

If using an acronym at the end (or beginning) of the name of the flavor, does this hinder your ability to search your ingredients?
    Would it be possible to add an additional field which could be perhaps populated by use of a drop-down menu where we have control of editing that data?

I'm new to cataloging flavors and am open to any tips people would care to share.
    I ask because I do not wish to begin cataloging only to kick myself later.

Thank you!

17. HotRod19579

Nov 8, 2011
    Round Rock, Texas
    Currently there is no way to identify vendor. The only way is to include it as part of the ingredient name or add in the notes. Maybe I should add another field to identify the ingredient vendor. Thoughts?
    What if...I added another field with a drop down list of vendors to select from. I would then need an option to "add vendor" or I could just make it a free form field. Thoughts?
    I could also pre-load it with a list of vendors but I would like to solicit everyone's input on the names to include.

18. Born2Hula

Oct 15, 2013
    Close to Philly, USA
    A free form field would work equally well. My main drive here is being able to quickly sort inventory by vendor.

19. Born2Hula

Oct 15, 2013
    Close to Philly, USA
    Then again, if an 'add vendor' was a selection might we also be able to make vendor notes in a general text field for important/relevant data? (last price paid, inconsistencies, terms, etc.)

20. Spazzer

Spazzer Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 27, 2013
    Upstate NY
    If anyone is interested The Flavor Apprentice gives densities for their flavors at this page.

Click on the flavor to get the spec sheet. It's listed as a range in lbs/gallon, but with a little math you can convert it to mg/ml.
    I was surprised how the density can vary between flavors - most PG based flavors were close to the same (around 1.04 mg/ml), but some contain alcohol and their density is quite a bit lower. For instance Black Tea - its only about 0.81 mg/ml.