New coil but still burnt taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoggster99

Apr 7, 2020
Hello, so i am a pretty experienced vaper (did it for a year or so, then quit and came back). Right now i have an aegis mini with a cerberus tank and a v8 baby coil inside it 0.6 Ohm(I still had a new pack of the coils and they work on the cerberus tank so i thought why not). 2 days ago i switched out my coil (obviously saturating the new one with a couple of drops of liquid) and screwed it back on. But now, when i take a hit longer than 2s or take multiple smaller hits in a sequence, i get a really burnt taste. It can't be the new coil cuz i've vaped it for 2 days already. I don't know what else it could be. Anyone got any tips?
Liquid i'm using is Shake & vape Bigmouth Orange energy drink.
Thanks for the reply!

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Hello, so i am a pretty experienced vaper (did it for a year or so, then quit and came back). Right now i have an aegis mini with a cerberus tank and a v8 baby coil inside it 0.6 Ohm(I still had a new pack of the coils and they work on the cerberus tank so i thought why not). 2 days ago i switched out my coil (obviously saturating the new one with a couple of drops of liquid) and screwed it back on. But now, when i take a hit longer than 2s or take multiple smaller hits in a sequence, i get a really burnt taste. It can't be the new coil cuz i've vaped it for 2 days already. I don't know what else it could be. Anyone got any tips?
Liquid i'm using is Shake & vape Bigmouth Orange energy drink.
Thanks for the reply!

A couple of drops of e-liquid isn't going to be enough to saturate the inner cotton in the coil. As The Wind said, you will need to place the coil in a shot glass or other small container full of juice and let it suck up juice for at least 20 minutes to get proper saturation of the cotton. You don't need to submerge it. You just need enough juice in the glass to cover the bottom of the coil about 1/4" deep.

Make sure the side holes in the atomizer (if there are side holes) are covered by the juice. The cotton will wick juice up into the coil area.

Last edited:

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
Sometimes something enters the coil through the drip tip and causes this. I'd disassemble and rinse everything myself.

The problem with cotton wicking is once it gets singed a burnt taste will be there for every vape after that. Occasionally it happens inadvertently by running the tank a little low between refills, which could be a cause in your case.

Good luck figuring this out!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
i've never had this problem before though while saturating my cotton. That's why i thought i was weird. And shouldn't the cotton be saturated after 2 days of vaping, even without saturating the cotton at all beforehand?

You can drip drops of juice into the top of the coil until it won't take anymore, but that takes a while. You'll think it's saturated, but the center may not be, and that's where the coil is. The best way is to set it into a bottle cap with enough juice to cover the bottom of the coil halfway up and wait 20 or 30 minutes. You can pour the rest of the juice back into the container it came out of.

Last edited:

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
There may be a reason for what happened. Hope you figure it out. But sometimes coils just go bad. Something moves, connection comes loose, there's a flaw in the metal that causes a hot spot to develop or something. In that case you might never find the cause.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Don't forget capillary action, I am a fan. Long slow inhales etc., starting with NO wattage, and slowly increasing.

Although given you have never had priming issues before, I am going to guess it's either a faulty coil, or your juice sucks for coils. I have never heard of that one shot before but it is suspiciously named if you ask me, I might check for any weird additives (including caffeine.)

Maybe I am being paranoid but you just never know, although you should find out with your next coil and tankful of it.

Anna

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
rule of thumb with a new coil in a tank...let it sit in the full tank for at least 10 minutes, but longer is better....
this way the entire wick has time to get saturated
then start out with a low wattage and slowly bump it up to your desired watts

then if you still have problems, it could be you are vaping at too high of watts
or the wick isn't able to keep up with you, you are vaping too much too fast for the wick to continue to be saturated....or maybe your juice is too thick....and unfortunately once the wick burns, it's burnt....

it could be a bad coil....
and sometimes, you may get a dry hit, let it sit for awhile before vaping again

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I have never, even once, gotten a dry hit off a factory coil. I have gotten a burnt hit from turning up the wattage accidentally but never, ever a dry one.

I don't know if this is a DL thing or what. You keep your tank nice and full and you avoid chain vaping by having more than one setup or by using TC.

There is no "mid coil" dry hit, as far as I am concerned though. Maybe these are some really awful coils? IDK I'm just.... confused.

Anna

Reactions: Hoggster99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread