New E-Smoker's First Impressions with Joy e 510 manual switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert

Moved On
Jun 18, 2009
San Diego, CA.
I heard about e-cigerettes about 2 weeks ago. Saw a sign at a smoke shop. They were selling evapecig for 69$

I read about Blu on the Web- sounded great but I wondered if it would really stop me from smoking and replace my cigs?

Then I came here- I am so glad I found you nice people:D

I looked around to see what others are using and how long they'd been doing it. I still wondered if it was safe.

It seemed safe enough and I knew regular cigerettes were killing me.

Most here seemed to be using a 901,801,401, A SD Screw Driver, A Prodigy, A GG Greek Goddess, or a 510. These numbers are used to describe an e-cig model. These models are made by various manufactures and sold at different prices. It seemed to me so many had great things to say about the relatively new 510 with the manual switch. So I bought one.

I've been using my Joye 510 Manual switch for about 2 hours now. I am amazed, I really don't think I will ever smoke another analog cigerette again :thumb:(Analog that's what a regular cigerette is called here). I get a hit, I guess you'd say "Throat Hit". If feels kinda like smoking a ciggerette and I am definetly getting my nicotine fix. The Marlboro carts I got don't taste like Marlboro, they are better. They taste like some rich expensive tasting pipe tobacco to me (but I've never smoked a pipe, just smelled them). And for that matter a Marlboro Red dosen't really have a taste (dose it?) I mean we smoke em but I can't really say there is a nice taste! So the taste is nice of the Marlboro cartridges from e smokey, I wish I'd of gotten a bottle. I have been psyching myself up to quit and now I believe I trully have a tool that will help me to.

I want to thank everyone that answered my questions.

And I want to tell new forum members to look around the forum and try to read as much as you can. Those who have been posting will answer your questions, and if you search you will find many of your same questions already answered. Then if you still have a question- go ahead and ask.

I hope this will help someone else trying to quit smoking.

Thanks Robert;)

Robert

Moved On
Jun 18, 2009
San Diego, CA.
Yes, manual switch.

The taste might just be the new atty! Some have said that a brand new one might have a bad taste and to just keep topping off and vaping untill the taste has gone away! or Look for what others is saying is a better menthol. My fiance will review the e-smokey treats menthol cartridges when she tries it later tonight.

So I only smoked about 3/4 of a cigarette since I got mine, how about you?

Thanks Gotthelife4U- I'm in the club yeah!

ladyfish

Jun 5, 2009
SW Florida
Hi Robert,
I just opened my new Joye manual 501 today! I started vaping a couple of weeks ago with a cartomizer e-cig and got so frustrated with the battery and vapor, so i did some more research and got the 501. What a difference... I love it!!!! Did you get the PCC also? I did because of my battery experiences with the other e-cig. It seems to be the way to go.

happily

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2009
anchorage, ak
the stock carts for the 510 taste almost like a sweet honey, by far the best carts from the factory so far. Welcome to the 510 club and enjoy those large clouds of vapor.
I loved my original tobacco carts, but now my kits have all come with marlblo and it's not quite so good.

David Bruno

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2009
Iron Mountain , Michigan
I loved my original tobacco carts, but now my kits have all come with marlblo and it's not quite so good.

I think your ready for the fun part of vaping. That is sampling the loads of
great liquids and nic strengths. There are some real good Marlboro juices
out there, such as my vapor store's 24 mg Marlboro. Runyan's Kent, Hilton. Eastmalls Camel, are just a few of many. Have fun!
Dave:cool:

RsL

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2009
Minneapolis
I don't think I'd characterize the 510 as requiring a lot of maintenance. You just need to get the hang of what works and what doesn't. They're not built for combat, but neither is any PV.

I agree. The 510 doesn't require any more maintenance than any other 3 piece design, whether it be a 901, 401, 801, or whatever. It might require more reloading of juice, but the extra performance makes it worth it.

youngll11

ECF Veteran
I agree. The 510 doesn't require any more maintenance than any other 3 piece design, whether it be a 901, 401, 801, or whatever. It might require more reloading of juice, but the extra performance makes it worth it.

That's what I meant by maintenance. I have to top off after every 3-5 drags, or else the cart begins to melt, the filler becomes stuck to the atty, and the taste I get is unbearable (and probably pretty unhealthy). And even when I do top off, I still get a plasticy taste. I want a device that I can puff on for a an hour, even 20 minutes without having to think about. I'm hoping that an 801 or 601 will be able to live up to those expectations, because my 510 hasn't thus far.

RsL

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2009
Minneapolis
That's what I meant by maintenance. I have to top off after every 3-5 drags, or else the cart begins to melt, the filler becomes stuck to the atty, and the taste I get is unbearable (and probably pretty unhealthy). And even when I do top off, I still get a plasticy taste. I want a device that I can puff on for a an hour, even 20 minutes without having to think about. I'm hoping that an 801 or 601 will be able to live up to those expectations, because my 510 hasn't thus far.

First, drip 2 or 3 drops on the atomizer itself. Then load up a fresh cart with fluid, you should then get a lot more than 3-5 drags before you have to top off or refill.

Better yet, try the straw mod with your 510 cart. You'll get much better performance out of it !

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/joye-510/15093-incredible-510-cart-upgrade.html

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
Hi. I just received my 501 today and am charging the battery. This is probably a stupid question, but I am a total noob. When these cartriges run out, do you just throw them away and buy new ones, or do you re-use them?

Reuse. Get some e-liquid and refill them whenever they get low. I wouldn't run them completely dry. You can over heat your atomizer if there's not enough fluid in the cart.

Check out the General section of the board. There are a bunch of useful threads in there about how to handle carts.

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
First, drip 2 or 3 drops on the atomizer itself. Then load up a fresh cart with fluid, you should then get a lot more than 3-5 drags before you have to top off or refill.

Also, look at the cart before you shove it in. If the batting is sticking out or if it's way up at the very top of the cart, push it in a little. it should be down in the neck of the cart by about 1/8 inch. Yank out any lose fibers if you see them too. Adjust the batting once it should be pretty consistent from then on.

Another thing to be aware of is the alignment of the opening of the cart and the bridge of the atomizer. When you look down the throat of the atomizer, you can see that the bridge has a long axis. Align your cart opening (which also has a long axis) with the bridge. That ensures that the bridge isn't touching the plastic and helps to keep it from getting too hot.

Yet another tip: take ten or fifteen seconds between drags. The atomizer can get pretty hot, so hot that the performance can decrease. Reefing it over and over isn't particularly good for it IMO. You get better performance if you let it cool down a little between each drag.

Finally, when you hold it, try and orient the LED end above the cart end. When the unit is hot the fluid becomes less viscous and drains from the cart into the atomizer. Once the atomizer is flooded, it stops giving optimal vapor. Dripping it doesn't help if you do it too much. The 510 isn't really set up for dripping.

Try those things and see how it works out. It all seems complex, but once you hit a set of methods that works for you, it becomes second nature. There's not much to getting a 510 to work well, but it does require a little messing around and experimenting. PVs are different from cigarettes and they take some adjustment in technique when you first ramp up on one. It probably took me a week, maybe two, before I was completely comfortable with it and able to get a good, consistent drag over and over again.

Robert

Moved On
Jun 18, 2009
San Diego, CA.
Thanks Surf Monkey

Your post should be a 510 how to sticky. I wondered about the batting an 1/8 of at inch down makes a big difference. Huge plumes of smoke. The stock carts don't really come like that, so ya gotta adjust them. I figured out the alignment I knew it had to be important. You are the Man.

Thanks Robert

Also I'm a Huge Cowboy Bebop Fan!

Robert

Moved On
Jun 18, 2009
San Diego, CA.
Yeah Spike is cool, ok back to the carts and filling.

1. So you never want the wick to touch the cart filler? 1/8 in. pushed down below the cart lip. correct?

2. Filling- Do you reflace often? I couldn't find Fluval? at walmart. Exactly what do I need Poly? what I saw some stuffing that looked similar to what is in the cart but I wasn't sure? what is in the carts?

happily

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2009
anchorage, ak
I highly recommend the straw mod RSL linked to................tried it once and didn't notice a difference but I did it again 3 days ago and my heads been swimming in vapor ever since.

IF THE 510'S A ROCKIN' .....DON'T COME A KNOCKIN'

as far as cart filling...........just order a bunch of empty carts with your next order and run em a few days each.......they're .22 cents a piece at ruyan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread