New here and some advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Gadzy

Mar 29, 2023
Hello all,

First of all I’d like to say what a great forum this looks and I look forward to hearing everyone’s advice on my vape journey (so far) and hopefully I can have some input to other threads down the line :)

I’m looking for some advice on my fairly new vape journey.

I’m from the UK and currently trying to transition from smoking 15-16 cigarettes a day to just vaping, but I am currently struggling to find a good setup without getting bored or just getting rid of that proper cigarette craving. I’ve been vaping for just under a year now and pretty much know the ins and outs of how it all works, but just can’t seem to find the right setup or device (yet) so I’m doing both which isn’t good!

I currently have an Aspire Pockex which I actually like the feel of and the simplicity of it. However, this is where I am struggling with the device in terms of the setup and if it’s actually a mouth to lung device as well as a restricted/direct lung which mostly everyone has told me. I have spoken to my local vape shop which has told me the 0.6 coils are better and absolutely fine with Nic salts, but I am unsure of the harshness I am getting from the 0.6 coils which obviously are burning a lot warmer with the higher wattage. I’m not sure if you guys could recommend a juice and strength I could possibly try before I consider scrapping the device and finding something else which would also help with my 15 a day smoking. I have also tried the 1.2 coils which arnt as harsh, but the flavour after one fill of liquid is just far too subtle and bland and I can’t change a coil every 1-2 fills because that’s hassle and a lot of money, they also claim for it to be a tighter draw which is absolutely minimal compared to the 0.6. The Nic salts I am trying are from the brand “pod salt” and fruit flavours at 20mg (Nic salt)

The other device which I have to compare against is the Vaporesso Xros 2, which obviously is an out and out mouth to lung vape with a much much tighter draw which uses mesh coils so the flavour is probably going to blow the Pockex out the water, but the device is just too simple for me now and I want something fairly easy to use and user friendly which is versatile. That’s what the Pockex is better for because of the 0.6 apparently being able to take higher VG liquids if wanted and Nic salts or freebase nicotine. I read somewhere they take the nautilus x coil range too. I just feel there’s something I’m not quite doing right with the pockex in terms of setup and the type of liquid used. I’m slowly coming to the conclusion of trying something like the Aspire Zelos nano which seems an easy kit to use which allows me to mess around abit with setups and juices if I want to and supports MTL and DL. The Vaporesso pod is brilliant for flavour, but all you can use in those things is Nic salts... unless I’m wrong? I just prefer the feel of the Pockex as well, but definitely not the harshness and bland flavour I am getting currently from both Pockex coils.

I hope I have covered everything and I look forward to hearing from you guys. Have a great day :)

Reactions: TARTARA

TARTARA

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2023

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hello all,

First of all I’d like to say what a great forum this looks and I look forward to hearing everyone’s advice on my vape journey (so far) and hopefully I can have some input to other threads down the line :)

I’m from the UK and currently trying to transition from smoking 15-16 cigarettes a day to just vaping, but I am currently struggling to find a good setup without getting bored or just getting rid of that proper cigarette craving. I’ve been vaping for just under a year now and pretty much know the ins and outs of how it all works, but just can’t seem to find the right setup or device (yet) so I’m doing both which isn’t good!

I currently have an Aspire Pockex which I actually like the feel of and the simplicity of it. However, this is where I am struggling with the device in terms of the setup and if it’s actually a mouth to lung device as well as a restricted/direct lung which mostly everyone has told me. I have spoken to my local vape shop which has told me the 0.6 coils are better and absolutely fine with Nic salts, but I am unsure of the harshness I am getting from the 0.6 coils which obviously are burning a lot warmer with the higher wattage. I’m not sure if you guys could recommend a juice and strength I could possibly try before I consider scrapping the device and finding something else which would also help with my 15 a day smoking. I have also tried the 1.2 coils which arnt as harsh, but the flavour after one fill of liquid is just far too subtle and bland and I can’t change a coil every 1-2 fills because that’s hassle and a lot of money, they also claim for it to be a tighter draw which is absolutely minimal compared to the 0.6. The Nic salts I am trying are from the brand “pod salt” and fruit flavours at 20mg (Nic salt)

The other device which I have to compare against is the Vaporesso Xros 2, which obviously is an out and out mouth to lung vape with a much much tighter draw which uses mesh coils so the flavour is probably going to blow the Pockex out the water, but the device is just too simple for me now and I want something fairly easy to use and user friendly which is versatile. That’s what the Pockex is better for because of the 0.6 apparently being able to take higher VG liquids if wanted and Nic salts or freebase nicotine. I read somewhere they take the nautilus x coil range too. I just feel there’s something I’m not quite doing right with the pockex in terms of setup and the type of liquid used. I’m slowly coming to the conclusion of trying something like the Aspire Zelos nano which seems an easy kit to use which allows me to mess around abit with setups and juices if I want to and supports MTL and DL. The Vaporesso pod is brilliant for flavour, but all you can use in those things is Nic salts... unless I’m wrong? I just prefer the feel of the Pockex as well, but definitely not the harshness and bland flavour I am getting currently from both Pockex coils.

I hope I have covered everything and I look forward to hearing from you guys. Have a great day :)

Hi Gadzy. Welcome to the ECF.

Maybe you should consider getting a Variable Wattage (VW) Mod and a Tank or RTA to go with it?

AIO's are convenient. But they are kinda like a Stereo that doesn't have a Volume Knob. Just an On/Off Switch. You might get lucky and really like the level of sound coming out of that Stereo. But chances are you would like it Better if you could adjust the sound.

A Variable Wattage Mod lets you adjust the Hit you get to how you like it. Simply turn Up Wattage for More Vapor/Taste. Or turn Down the Wattage for a more Mellow Hit.

Tanks and RTA's also generally have much more Airflow Control. And you have a Wide Range of choices when it comes to Drip Tips. From Very Restrictive for MTL to Wide Open for DL.

dennism

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2015
Maryland
Hello all,

The Vaporesso XROS 2 can be used with nic salts, freebase or zero nic, your choice.
In my opinion the Vaporesso is a better choice over the Aspire. The Vaporesso has coil choices from .6 ohms to 1.2 ohms. They are also mesh coils, which I prefer.

Last edited:

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    What are you looking for in a vape that your current setup doesn't have? It sounds to me that you are wanting a DL (direct to lung setup). Your best bet for that is a powerful mod ans a subohm tank or RTA, if you are interested in learning to build. I prefer the Vaporesso Gen, but Vaporesso has the newer Gen 200s, which I own, but haven't tried yet. Get a kit if you wasn't a tank with ready to go coils, or get the mod and a Hellvape Dead Rabbit v3 if you want to build your own. There are other good setups but this is my favorite for DL vaping. The Dead Rabbit is easy to learn to build on and the Gen is a no frills durable mod. As was said previously, you do not have to stick with salts in any device. Salts and free base can be used in any device. If you are looking for more of a throat hit, then go with free base. It could also be that you are not getting enough nicotine. Before investing in new equipment, you might try raising your nicotine level.

Gadzy

Mar 29, 2023
    What are you looking for in a vape that your current setup doesn't have? It sounds to me that you are wanting a DL (direct to lung setup). Your best bet for that is a powerful mod ans a subohm tank or RTA, if you are interested in learning to build. I prefer the Vaporesso Gen, but Vaporesso has the newer Gen 200s, which I own, but haven't tried yet. Get a kit if you wasn't a tank with ready to go coils, or get the mod and a Hellvape Dead Rabbit v3 if you want to build your own. There are other good setups but this is my favorite for DL vaping. The Dead Rabbit is easy to learn to build on and the Gen is a no frills durable mod. As was said previously, you do not have to stick with salts in any device. Salts and free base can be used in any device. If you are looking for more of a throat hit, then go with free base. It could also be that you are not getting enough nicotine. Before investing in new equipment, you might try raising your nicotine level.

Hi all and thankyou very much for the replies and ideas :).

No I’m having issues with the harshness of vaping my Pockex MTL style with Nic salts which are 20mg. Even some 10mg Nic salts are really harsh. I tried the 1.2 Pockex coils, but they’re only good for a day or so. Useless. The flavour also is not as good and most vape sites have suggested you can use higher nicotine juices in the 0.6 so I was seeing what people thought

I wasn’t sure if the Pockex was a mouth to lung device and if it was okay to use Nic salts in the 0.6 coils due to the higher wattage it automatically sets the device to when it detects the lower ohm coil.

I think @TARTARA mentioned trying normal nicotine and not Nic salts to see if it’s any better.

What sort of strength would I need because 3 and 6 mg would most probably be too low currently. I have the option of using higher VG in the 0.6 but most shortfills I buy from the shop mix to 3mg

I love the range of choices you get with the shortfills and the higher VG juices, but there’s no way a small pod device will wick a thicker juice?

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Salts are generally very smooth so guessing the wattage is the problem. I agree with those mentioning getting a setup that gives you more control. If you go the rta route I would suggest a single coil top af for your first rta, much easier and with a shorter learning curve.

Gadzy

Mar 29, 2023
    Salts are generally very smooth so guessing the wattage is the problem. I agree with those mentioning getting a setup that gives you more control. If you go the rta route I would suggest a single coil top af for your first rta, much easier and with a shorter learning curve.

Yes I agree. It’s all abit of a mind field for me at the moment. I have some shops and vape websites saying only use 1.2 coil for Nic salts and higher juice and then some saying it’s fine. I am mouth to lung vaping with both coils, when I direct lung more or do restricted direct lung it’s not as bad, but I prefer to MTL and it’s a shame I can’t with the 0.6 coils…

Gadzy

Mar 29, 2023
    Salts and freebase nic are literally a 1:1 ratio concerning strength and you absolutely can mtl a 0.6 coil.
    Hello @Letitia

I’m guessing it’s just going to be a case of finding what juice isn’t going to blow my throat out with the 0.6 Pockex coil? I’ve tried 20mg pod salts in the 0.6 and I’m coughing for ten seconds after a mouth to lung draw and it’s like “gosh I’m worried to do the next drag” .

I tried 12 mg freebase in the 0.6 coil and was much better, but this was a different brand to pod salts. What’s your thoughts?

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Hello @Letitia

I’m guessing it’s just going to be a case of finding what juice isn’t going to blow my throat out with the 0.6 Pockex coil? I’ve tried 20mg pod salts in the 0.6 and I’m coughing for ten seconds after a mouth to lung draw and it’s like “gosh I’m worried to do the next drag” .

I tried 12 mg freebase in the 0.6 coil and was much better, but this was a different brand to pod salts. What’s your thoughts?
    Learning to vape and where your particular sweet spot is truly a journey. Frankly it can take a year or two to find a perfect fit. Trial and error are going to be par for the course but don't get discouraged. You have already discovered that 20mg is too strong; I suspect it is the strength of nic mg rather than salt or freebase making you cough. You already know you are frustrated with not having more control with your settings so you know to what type of equipment to shop around for. Find a shop with employees willing to listen and give advice. I am not a mtl vaper but many here are, search threads geared more to mtl vaping style. Innokin, Eleaf, and Aspire offer great time tested gear that leans more to the mtl side of vaping and are trusted by vapers. As far as tanks go I can vouch for the Aspire nautilus 3 and Innokin Zenith tanks and have a wide variety of coils that perform well. In the end only you can find your happy place gear wise.

Gadzy

Mar 29, 2023
    Learning to vape and where your particular sweet spot is truly a journey. Frankly it can take a year or two to find a perfect fit. Trial and error are going to be par for the course but don't get discouraged. You have already discovered that 20mg is too strong; I suspect it is the strength of nic mg rather than salt or freebase making you cough. You already know you are frustrated with not having more control with your settings so you know to what type of equipment to shop around for. Find a shop with employees willing to listen and give advice. I am not a mtl vaper but many here are, search threads geared more to mtl vaping style. Innokin, Eleaf, and Aspire offer great time tested gear that leans more to the mtl side of vaping and are trusted by vapers. As far as tanks go I can vouch for the Aspire nautilus 3 and Innokin Zenith tanks and have a wide variety of coils that perform well. In the end only you can find your happy place gear wise.

It’s a difficult one because 20mg in a vaporesso pod device is fine strength wise, so it’s got to be a device/coil thing no? I really appreciate your feedback. It’s a real help :)

Hi all and thankyou very much for the replies and ideas :).

No I’m having issues with the harshness of vaping my Pockex MTL style with Nic salts which are 20mg. Even some 10mg Nic salts are really harsh. I tried the 1.2 Pockex coils, but they’re only good for a day or so. Useless. The flavour also is not as good and most vape sites have suggested you can use higher nicotine juices in the 0.6 so I was seeing what people thought

I wasn’t sure if the Pockex was a mouth to lung device and if it was okay to use Nic salts in the 0.6 coils due to the higher wattage it automatically sets the device to when it detects the lower ohm coil.

I think @TARTARA mentioned trying normal nicotine and not Nic salts to see if it’s any better.

What sort of strength would I need because 3 and 6 mg would most probably be too low currently. I have the option of using higher VG in the 0.6 but most shortfills I buy from the shop mix to 3mg

I love the range of choices you get with the shortfills and the higher VG juices, but there’s no way a small pod device will wick a thicker juice?
    I go a local vape shop that makes their own juice you can get nic pretty high. I currently vaping a 12 nic no salts just normal vape juice I think you would like that better. I use a Valyrian 2 triple coil for me 90-100 w it’s more smoother and you’re not getting hit with a bunch of juice when you vape.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    Hey @Gadzy.

Just to add, it's probably a few issues your having at once here.

Coils may not be wicking so well, causing dry and burnt hits.

Nic level too high, that'll definitely make things harsh. At 0.6 ohms 20mg is not going to be the best experience, that I'd say would be more suited for around 1.5 ohms.

And using watts/power/voltage, it isn't for everyone. Some get better results with TC or Temperature Coefficient mode, which is basically Temperature Controlled vaping.

Things that you may want to look into are a tank and a TC capable mod, Freemax Fireluke 22 is a good option for a tank as it covers a wide range of vaping styles and something like the Vaporesso Target 100 to sx mini SL class V2 may be a good choice for a mod. Those are just ideas for gear/equipment.

The tank you really may want though, as Freemax makes great coils and the Fireluke 22 has Stainless Steel coils that can be used with TC mode from 0.25 ohms to 1.5 ohms.

As for liquids, you could try shortfills and adding your own Nicotine with nic shots. Or somewhat DIY your own with one shots that are flavour packs, VG/PG base and nic shots.

And some 101 for you on Nicotine, salts are smoother and freebase is harsher. So you can use higher levels of salts without getting the same throat hit.

Reactions: Letitia

Users who are viewing this thread