New member seeking advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

FAAPOD

Jul 9, 2019
Atascocita, TX
Hello! New member from the Houston Area, here, and I’m looking for some advice.

I’m a pack-a-day smoker (Camel Blue 99’s) and I’m looking to leave that behind and have decided to try vaping. I’m a newb, having bought my first device (a Juul) about three weeks ago. I used it for a few days, but didn’t really like it a whole lot. It’s not one specific thing, it’s just sort of ‘meh’. Maybe it’s the flavor, maybe the device itself, I don’t know.

So I visited a local shop and spent a few minutes talking with one of the guys. After asking me a few questions, he recommended a smok Nord and 6mg e-juice (I ended up with a flavor called RY4 and have since also tried one called Turkish). He also recommended me using the 0.6 ohm coil that comes with the Nord. It also come with a 1.4 ohm coil. The recommended was based on my telling him that I wanted to get off the cigarettes, but that I enjoyed the ‘process’ of smoking. According to the SMOK site, the 0.6 is designed for DTL and the 1.4 is designed for MTL. I am a MTL cigarette smoker.

Anyway, I’ve been using the Nord primarily with the 0.6 ohm coil and DTL, but have also tried the 1.4 and MTL. In both cases, I usually take 8 - 12 hits during a session. While I like both set-ups better than the Juul by far, I’m still feeling a bit unfulfilled and, as a result, have not completely cut out the cigarettes. I don’t know if it’s that I’m not getting enough nicotine, my technique, or what, that is leaving me wanting something more. I do feel like there is too much airflow through the Nord to replicate the sensation of smoking a cigarette MTL.

Do I have the right device? Should I switch to a nic salt? What’s the best way to replicate what I get out of smoking? Am I taking enough drags per session?Any advice, preferably with an explanation that is understandable to a newb, would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
Greetings and salutations!

You have a great device for someone in your situation. I'd look for the 0.8 ohm MTL coil.
There are things in tobacco other than nicotine that you will crave, so stick with it, and it gets easier. If you find it still to difficult to transition, whole tobacco alkaloids, or WTA for short, might be something to investigate

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Welcome to ecf. Nicotine absorbs through our mouth, nose and throat with ecigs, not much actually reach the lungs. Unlike a cigarette. You may wish to up the level of nic in your ejuice first and try that. You can adjust air flow on the tank by closing it down(it twist, you may have to close it when you are refilling the tank) so only open it by half and see if that helps.

Let us know.

:)

eta

oops, sry you may not have an air adjustment on the tank. I would go back to the vape shop and look at something else. Ask if they have any Aegis Solo kits. Those are very popular and it hits the spot.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Welcome to ecf. Nicotine absorbs through our mouth, nose and throat with ecigs, not much actually reach the lungs. Unlike a cigarette. You may wish to up the level of nic in your ejuice first and try that. You can adjust air flow on the tank by closing it down(it twist, you may have to close it when you are refilling the tank) so only open it by half and see if that helps.

Let us know.

There is no airflow adjustment other than coil choice on a Nord.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Welcome to ECF.
Are you deliberately restricting yourself to sessions? If so vape as often as you feel the need. I would also suggest upping the nic to 18mg. Sounds like you are needing a tighter draw so I cannot be of much help in that regard. Personally I would suggest getting a device/mod and a separate tank. With a mod you can try several tanks, maybe start with an innokin prism t20 tank.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
The traditional vape plus pod combo seems to be very effective. I can tell you, when you're doing it right it feels like this:
  1. Look at cigarettes and imagine how good it would feel to smoke one.
  2. Vape instead, until satisfied.
  3. Look at cigarettes again and wonder why you felt like smoking one earlier.
  4. Repeat.

dennism

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2015
Maryland
Maybe you should consider nic salts with the 1.4 ohm coil. This should help with any nicotine cravings but not with the cigarette craving. I have 2 nords and bought 2 more for my granddaughter and her boyfriend. I use the .6 ohm coil with 3mg freebase nic, they use the 1.4 ohm coil with 35mg nic salt. They like the nord much better than the juul and it cost less.

FAAPOD

Jul 9, 2019
Atascocita, TX

Let us know.

eta

oops, sry you may not have an air adjustment on the tank. I would go back to the vape shop and look at something else. Ask if they have any Aegis Solo kits. Those are very popular and it hits the spot.

Ya, the Nord doesn’t have adjustable airflow. When I was recommended the Nord with the 6mg nic e-juice, I was left with the impression that 6mg was at the top for juice and above that you needed to go nic salts. Is that not the case?

• Informative
Reactions: Izan

Georgia Boy

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2019
Atlanta Georgia
Hi
I too am new here and having the same sort of issues, only i am primarily using an Aspire Tigon and I have a Novo I use in the car. I am NOT going back to smoking but i want to be able to try both MTL and DL the Tigon is ok but is there something else maybe a box mod with choice of a couple of tanks that would be better? I think i found a juice flavor that is great for me Earl Grey Tea which is strange because i hate the Tea itself, any help much appreciated.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Ya, the Nord doesn’t have adjustable airflow. When I was recommended the Nord with the 6mg nic e-juice, I was left with the impression that 6mg was at the top for juice and above that you needed to go nic salts. Is that not the case?
Sry I don't buy commercial ejuice but there are online shops that sell both nic salt and freebase ejuice already made. If you can't find the mg strength of nic you are looking for, consider adding some nic to it. Ask your vape shop if they sell the little bottles of plain nic. I think a company called saffire sells it. Lots of shops are now having that available. Not too expensive.

Look for Naked ejuice I just saw eightvape has a 12mg available.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
It's all about fine tuning and unfortunately in the beginning it takes time and money unless you get lucky right off the bat....I believe if one really finds that perfect combo, you will have a much easier time dropping smokes. If you feel the draw is to open, then try one with a smaller one. Also one needs to find that perfect nic amount and try different levels until it works....I personally prefer a proper mod and tank, as all the options are right there. You can up or lower power at a touch of a button, you can open or close AF as needed and use any juice, freebase or salt. If you feel nic is low, it probably is and 6 doesn't seem alot imo. I have had great feedback on the nautilus tanks, mini/regular/ and n2, so that's my recommendation. Pair that with a good ole eleaf istick or pico mod and buy a few bottles of regular juice at 12 and 18 and a couple salt juices at higher levels then your using now and your set....

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
The shop guy is wrong. If you like a throat hit stick with regular nic, freebase, and just up the mg. For a tight draw mtl 24-18mg. Salts are for going up in mg without irritating the throat. So if 24mg isn't quite enough you might try 35mg salts; or if you enjoy the 24mg hit but want more nic satisfaction you can just add some 35mg salts juice to the 24mg juice.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
Everyone is different, but for me, the first setup was a mod + atomiser kit with a DTL atomiser that produced a very airy vape, and closing the airflow didn't really get me a satisfying result. Then, almost by 'accident' (I didn't know about the differences) I bought an MTL atomiser and was completely 'sold'. Very rich vapour, almost smoke like, that has some weight to it.
You should know that the differences between atomiser are huge.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
I was going to ask why the 0.8 coil. So the Nord coils have different air flows?

If you still have both a 1.4 and a 0.6 to compare, you'll notice the 0.6 has a bigger chamber, thus, Less restricted air flow.

I'd say nic salts are a great choice if you find freebase, or "regular" juice doesn't do it for you. The juul uses salt, so if you have that still, try both that and the Nord during your next sesh. I prefer "hit" nic salts, and the 0.6 coil with 30mg for a week did it for me. Now cigarettes taste like an ash tray to me. Couldn't be happier. Down to 3mg hit nic salts in a "mod" and it's got me (mostly) not wanting to burn stuff. I keep the Nord ad an otg backup.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
It takes most of us a little time to completely transition, so don’t beat yourself up for not quitting right away.

I agree with the others, you should try the higher ohm coil first, and see if the air flow is restricted enough that you don’t need a different set up.

You might try higher nic. But you don’t need salts, necessarily. Salts are good if you want really high nic and regular nic would be too harsh. I use both, I can’t tell the difference at 6-12 mgs/ml.

Vape as often as you need for now. You will almost certainly drop how much you use later, so it’s not something to be concerned about now.

If you do need a different device, read through our various forums... that’ll give you loads of info and help you decide what might be right for you.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
It takes most of us a little time to completely transition, so don’t beat yourself up for not quitting right away.

I agree with the others, you should try the higher ohm coil first, and see if the air flow is restricted enough that you don’t need a different set up.

You might try higher nic. But you don’t need salts, necessarily. Salts are good if you want really high nic and regular nic would be too harsh. I use both, I can’t tell the difference at 6-12 mgs/ml.

Vape as often as you need for now. You will almost certainly drop how much you use later, so it’s not something to be concerned about now.

If you do need a different device, read through our various forums... that’ll give you loads of info and help you decide what might be right for you.
I'd disagree that the only purpose of salts is to reduce taste at higher strengths. Hit salts have a much different biouptake, and, to me, a much more enjoyable experience. Both the smooth salt and freebase nicotine I've sampled have a much more, "clinically sterile" feel to me. YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread