Status
Not open for further replies.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I'd disagree that the only purpose of salts is to reduce taste at higher strengths. Hit salts have a much different biouptake, and, to me, a much more enjoyable experience. Both the smooth salt and freebase nicotine I've sampled have a much more, "clinically sterile" feel to me. YMMV

I’m just simplifying for the purpose here. I agree, with salts it feels like it hits faster, fades faster. I like salts when I’m seriously craving, but then I need to keep vaping. With freebase the nic stays at a more consistent level.

But when people ask do I need salts, are salts better for this device, if I go higher nic should I just do salts, well then my answer is going to be a simple one - no, unless you need such a high nic that freebase would be too harsh.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
I’m just simplifying for the purpose here. I agree, with salts it feels like it hits faster, fades faster. I like salts when I’m seriously craving, but then I need to keep vaping. With freebase the nic stays at a more consistent level.

But when people ask do I need salts, are salts better for this device, if I go higher nic should I just do salts, well then my answer is going to be a simple one - no, unless you need such a high nic that freebase would be too harsh.

I understand your frustrations. As a seasoned vaper, answering questions, with marketing hype being confused with fact, such as "designed for nic salts" being thrown around, it adds an extra layer of complexity. My point is that mg to mg, I find the effects of salts, particularly the smaller molecular varieties, to be more satisfying. In my experience, the taste is pronounced, even at lower strengths. Something that may not speak to someone that far removed from smoking, but, for someone like me, sitting next to someone who is smoking, is a welcome bonus.

FAAPOD

Jul 9, 2019
Atascocita, TX
Lots of good information here, and thank you all for responding to my questions. To clarify, I don’t know that the guy I spoke with at the shop necessarily told me that 6mg was the highest in ‘regular’ juice. We talked about 3mg and 6mg as he asked questions, and I came away with that impression. Could have been 100% on me making an assumption about what he recommended (6 mg). I asked about the different Nord coils because I don’t perceive much of a difference in draw between the 0.6 and 1.4. But full disclosure: I’ve been using the 0.6 the whole 2+ weeks I’ve had the Nord and only started trying the 1.4 today (with the same juice). One thing I’m sure that the guy at the shop did say was that the 0.6 was the one to use with juice, and the 1.4 was more for salts. It sounds like that’s not necessarily true.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Nic salts are predominantly a way of getting high dose with not taste or throat bite. In a non adjustable device, such as a Nord, you can only adjust the power by lowering the ohm of the coil. If the 1.4 isn't tight enough, the 0.8 won't be either. A good adjustable MTL tank, with an adjustable power "mod," or a more capable pod, such as the geekvape frenzy, would give you a tight draw to your liking, and allow for heat to be adjusted separately from airflow.

Reactions: FAAPOD

FAAPOD

Jul 9, 2019
Atascocita, TX
Nic salts are predominantly a way of getting high dose with not taste or throat bite. In a non adjustable device, such as a Nord, you can only adjust the power by lowering the ohm of the coil. If the 1.4 isn't tight enough, the 0.8 won't be either. A good adjustable MTL tank, with an adjustable power "mod," or a more capable pod, such as the geekvape frenzy, would give you a tight draw to your liking, and allow for heat to be adjusted separately from airflow.

Ah, OK, I kind of like the throat bite. Sounds like I need to find some juice with a higher mic content, or add mic to what I’m using. And thanks for the recommendations on a device. There’s been a few mentioned here that I’ll need to look into.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Ah, OK, I kind of like the throat bite. Sounds like I need to find some juice with a higher mic content, or add mic to what I’m using. And thanks for the recommendations on a device. There’s been a few mentioned here that I’ll need to look into.
Throat hit, or bite, can be achieved in a myriad of ways, or, more likely, a combination. Citrus and cinnamon flavor can do it, so can a hotter vape, but heat destroys those flavors. More PG, than VG, but different viscosity requires a device designed to not leak with thinner juice. A touch of everclear can do it, as will more freebase nic, or salt nic of the "hit" rather than smooth variety. Playing with nic to adjust throat hit is, IMHO, the wrong approach, as chemical dependancy and physical action repetition habits can be disconnected with vaping. This allows for addressing the more difficult first, as is popular, to reduce nic, but vape as desired.

FAAPOD

Jul 9, 2019
Atascocita, TX
Sry I don't buy commercial ejuice but there are online shops that sell both nic salt and freebase ejuice already made. If you can't find the mg strength of nic you are looking for, consider adding some nic to it. Ask your vape shop if they sell the little bottles of plain nic. I think a company called saffire sells it. Lots of shops are now having that available. Not too expensive.

:)

Look for Naked ejuice I just saw eightvape has a 12mg available.

Thanks for that tip. I’ll look into mic juice that I can add. I also need to double back with the shop and check my understanding as to what they’ll mix in terms of mic content.

FAAPOD

Jul 9, 2019
Atascocita, TX
Throat hit, or bite, can be achieved in a myriad of ways, or, more likely, a combination. Citrus and cinnamon flavor can do it, so can a hotter vape, but heat destroys those flavors. More PG, than VG, but different viscosity requires a device designed to not leak with thinner juice. A touch of everclear can do it, as will more freebase nic, or salt nic of the "hit" rather than smooth variety. Playing with nic to adjust throat hit is, IMHO, the wrong approach, as chemical dependancy and physical action repetition habits can be disconnected with vaping. This allows for addressing the more difficult first, as is popular, to reduce nic, but vape as desired.

Oh, very important clarifications there. Thanks for that! It does seem to me that the 6 mg is too much of a 1st step-down. I’d like to be getting enough so that it knocks down the cig crave a little better, and then step down from there. From the little that I have read, I think the Nord may not be compatible with a thinner juice. I’ve seen accounts of them leaking, though I have not experienced this.

Reactions: stols001

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Oh, very important clarifications there. Thanks for that! It does seem to me that the 6 mg is too much of a 1st step-down. I’d like to be getting enough so that it knocks down the cig crave a little better, and then step down from there. From the little that I have read, I think the Nord may not be compatible with a thinner juice. I’ve seen accounts of them leaking, though I have not experienced this.
I had no issue using 50/50 in the Nord. I also chain Vaped it so hard, 70/30 would be as thin as 50/50. Salt nic juice tends to be so strong in flavor too, a 30mL bottle can be thinned out to 100-120ml and still taste good, so you can play around if you do get a more "open" style device later. Most salt nic nic juice isn't hit salt though. You can get concentrate nic, and some sites, like nude, will send a small sample that'll go a LONG way for 3$ or so. Be VERY careful with 100mg nic though...

FAAPOD

Jul 9, 2019
Atascocita, TX
I had no issue using 50/50 in the Nord. I also chain Vaped it so hard, 70/30 would be as thin as 50/50. Salt nic juice tends to be so strong in flavor too, a 30mL bottle can be thinned out to 100-120ml and still taste good, so you can play around if you do get a more "open" style device later. Most salt nic nic juice isn't hit salt though. You can get concentrate nic, and some sites, like nude, will send a small sample that'll go a LONG way for 3$ or so. Be VERY careful with 100mg nic though...

He he, I’m not about to start playing with 100 mg nic. I’m thinking going to like 12 or 18 mg juice.

Reactions: stols001

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Nic has always had an association with throat hits. And making the switch from cigarettes to a safer way to deliver nic via ecigs is always the first objective. Not the nic strength. The genuis of ecigs is that it does totally replace the entire addiction of smoking. The hand to mouth motion, the seeing of vapor all plays a role in this and is considered to be part of the addiction. Not all vapors strive to eliminate nic. Harm reduction is the key.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
Welcome to the friendly bunch :)

If you've cut out most of your death sticks then you're already in a win situation. My advice is to up your nicotine strength a bit.....for the type of coil you're using you can go up to 18-24mg/ml and try it and see if you feel any better. If you decide to go with the higher ohm coil such as the 1.4 ohm you can try salts at an even higher strength....so 36-50 mg/ml. Be aware that too much nicotine can make you feel ill.....it's not anything to worry about as your body will soon tell you you've had too much...

If that happens then reduce the strength a bit....Just to let you know i'm a long term vapor and I use 18mg/ml DTL and 36mg/ml MTL. Don't forget that there still is some determination needed when you first quit...you don't get away scott free :)

Good luck :)

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I’m a newb, having bought my first device (a Juul) about three weeks ago.
Welcome and glad you joined.
He he, I’m not about to start playing with 100 mg nic. I’m thinking going to like 12 or 18 mg juice.
Might benefit from reading:
Freebase vs. Salt Nicotine: What's the difference?
Juices with Salts Thoughts?
How to find the Best E Juice Nicotine Level&How Much Nicotine to Vape?
Nicotine Strength Help
Nicotine Strengths In Refill Liquid
Vaping with nicotine vs.nicotine free. Does this alter our vaping habits?

FAAPOD

Jul 9, 2019
Atascocita, TX
Update: I went back to the local shop to see if they had some nic I could add to up the content, as was suggested here. Turns out I did misunderstand the part about 6mg being the highest they would make. They'll go up to 12mg and then they recommend nic salts above that. They didn't have the nic that could be added to the juice. But what I did find out is that if you don't like a juice they've made you for any reason and you still have more than half of it, they'll remake it for you. So I went to 9mg and it's better. I also ordered some 12mg from Ahlusion in some flavors I wanted to try, which I just got and haven't tried yet. With the 9mg, I've been able to cut back more on the regular cigs, so that's good.

The other thing is that I, though I thought I would prefer MTL vaping because it more closely mimics smoking a cigarette, I think that I'm finding that with the vape I actually prefer DTL. Go figure. Anybody else have that experience switching from smoking cigarettes MTL, but preferring to vape DTL? Apologies if that's a dumb question and it's super common or something. Anyway, I may be looking for a new device, once I figure out what the differences are in all the different styles, lol.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Update: I went back to the local shop to see if they had some nic I could add to up the content, as was suggested here. Turns out I did misunderstand the part about 6mg being the highest they would make. They'll go up to 12mg and then they recommend nic salts above that. They didn't have the nic that could be added to the juice. But what I did find out is that if you don't like a juice they've made you for any reason and you still have more than half of it, they'll remake it for you. So I went to 9mg and it's better. I also ordered some 12mg from Ahlusion in some flavors I wanted to try, which I just got and haven't tried yet. With the 9mg, I've been able to cut back more on the regular cigs, so that's good.

The other thing is that I, though I thought I would prefer MTL vaping because it more closely mimics smoking a cigarette, I think that I'm finding that with the vape I actually prefer DTL. Go figure. Anybody else have that experience switching from smoking cigarettes MTL, but preferring to vape DTL? Apologies if that's a dumb question and it's super common or something. Anyway, I may be looking for a new device, once I figure out what the differences are in all the different styles, lol.

It’s a good question. It took me a while to go to dl, but some do right away.

You’re doing really well because you keep looking for ways to improve your experience and tailor your vape. That’s the path to success.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Welcome and congrats! After almost 3 months I still break down and have occasional cig. As others have explained, you needed more than 6mg nic (at first) I started with 18mg and settles on 12mg. Some juices I got were only 6mg so I just have some cheap 18mg 50VG/50PG tobacco juice that ups the nic and thins heavier (high VG) juices... works great for me. Salts are also good, but don't trip on what device/ coil ect. They work similar just less strong for the same number (watch out... others will totally get into a debate on this) I found 12mg salts not strong enough for me, but also very mild on the throat. You are doing great! Keep at it, and don't worry if you "slip" once in a while. Great people here and good support.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You can go higher on nic with either coil.

Nic salts and freebase are the same in strength so if you like a throat hit you can get yourself there and then add more nicsalts to bump things up.

You may be "enjoying" the DL experience more because you are getting more nic per puff and right now you are not getting enough nic period.

So, you could go for broke and get some 24 or even 36 nic salt and use it in the MTL coil and see how you like it THEN.

While the Nord appears by all reports to be a great pod, I would recommend branching out and I would recommend branching out with the Zenith tank with the mod that comes with it, much more customizable options but it's a great kit for beginners who are getting ready to make more adjustments to their vape. You need a backup anyway.

This may not all be niic you are detoxing from countless substances in cigarettes that are all wrestling for control of your brain, they are the pesky little alkaloids and other stuff, many of which led to a feeling of satiety and relaxation in your brain.

If you have major troubles you could look at adding some WTA liquid to your vape. I used it to quit, and I used it sparingly but it was EFFECTIVE. It really helped with the "chew through steel" sensation I would get at about 3 pm.

Aroma's the gold standard for WTA, I got their wholesale stuff and just put tiny squirts of it in my tank. Be aware it is also priced like gold. Ohm's vapes and Umbavapes make it for much less. In my opinion it is less potent but still works well for some stuff.

Good luck keep at it!

Anna

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    Welcome to ECF, FAAPOD and Georgia Boy.

FAAPOD, I can't believe the guy at the vape shop recommended 6mg after you told him you smoke a PAD, unless you also said that you had only been smoking for a week or so.. But then, if he was thinking only DTL, 6 mg might be acceptable.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread